#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 25 November 2022 - 10:53 PM

After the forum meeting at Benito's, we walked around a little bit and started looking at the Martha Washington Candy Co. building, located at 1412 W. Magnolia.  It is an interesting building and Hometown By Handlebar has a post about the three big candy companies in Fort Worth.  The last listing is for Martha Washington's Magnolia Ave. location.  The link is to the post is: https://hometownbyha...ar.com/?p=10673

#2 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:42 AM

Here's a few photos from our forum lunch walk and talk.  I should have framed some of these wide angle shots better but took these on a whim.

YYmegOr.jpg

QKucQHE.jpg

Jd65qop.jpg

g4SyP67.jpg

WxwVNA3.jpg

wXvc19u.jpg

BeXa1Cg.jpg

zXoMTqe.jpg

OvIfEhd.jpg

lisararemartha1.jpg

Hometown By Handlebar's article included this photo but it was also posted on the main page oldftw referencing Lisa Helbing's Rare Photos which is still an active Flickr page worth checking out sometime.  Hometown's caption reads:  (Photo from Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal.)

• TLA likes this

#3 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 04:15 PM

I like those recessed steel entry doors and related transom windows and sidelites on the building's west side. 

They look like they are made of weathered steel (aka COR-TEN). 

Have a few questions for Forum members about steel doors/windows like these shown:

1.   Can you clean/refinish/freshen up weathered steel/COR-TEN? 

I assume those were installed in the late 90s or early 2000s. Definitely not bad looking at all, but, if it were my building, I'd want to try to make it crisper/fresher/cleaner, ideally without changing the weathered steel.  Has anyone tried or know answer? 

2.   If you did decide to paint the weathered/ COR-TEN steel, would that even be possible with some sort of prep work before applying paint?  

3.   Are steel windows able to have good thermal performance compared with commonly used aluminum window systems?  (assume: both are either thermally broken or not thermally broken so not an apples to oranges comparison in terms of thermal breaks).

(copied/pasted the image showing steel doors, transom windows and sidelites from previous post):

g4SyP67.jpg

#4 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 02:05 PM

I remember my grandmother talking about this candy company.  

#5 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 07 November 2023 - 02:20 PM

I like those recessed steel entry doors and related transom windows and sidelites on the building's west side. 

They look like they are made of weathered steel (aka COR-TEN). 

Have a few questions for Forum members about steel doors/windows like these shown:

1.   Can you clean/refinish/freshen up weathered steel/COR-TEN? 

I assume those were installed in the late 90s or early 2000s. Definitely not bad looking at all, but, if it were my building, I'd want to try to make it crisper/fresher/cleaner, ideally without changing the weathered steel.  Has anyone tried or know answer? 

2.   If you did decide to paint the weathered/ COR-TEN steel, would that even be possible with some sort of prep work before applying paint?  

3.   Are steel windows able to have good thermal performance compared with commonly used aluminum window systems?  (assume: both are either thermally broken or not thermally broken so not an apples to oranges comparison in terms of thermal breaks).

(copied/pasted the image showing steel doors, transom windows and sidelites from previous post):

g4SyP67.jpg

Those doors were installed in the 1990's?  I would have guessed way older than that.

I wouldn't touch the metal with any cleaner but you could certainly use something to clean the façade and brighten it up. 

I wonder if Cleansol BC would work for the masonry surfaces?  https://www.eacochem...s/cleansol.html

#6 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Urban Development

Posted 08 November 2023 - 06:42 AM

I can answer the paint question (I work for a residential painting company)

The whole unit needs to be sanded by hand (just to rough up the surface, not trying to get to bare metal), then wipe it down with lacquer thinner. After that its ready for paint. I would probably use All Surface Enamel Oil or Emerald Urethane to paint it. Both of those are Sherwin Williams products and come in any color and multiple sheens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users