• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

Sounds like more info will be coming soon.  But wow, this could be big for Fort Worth.

FWB: BREAKING: TCU, UNTHSC to collaborate on medical school

#2 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

This is good news for both schools and the city.

#3 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

Love it!!

Rumor is a pharmacy school is next for TCU.

#4 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

The article mentioned that UT Southwestern's presence in Dallas would serve as a hurdle or barrier for UNTHSC's getting permission to offer the MD degree. 

Why would that be the case?

#5 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

This is great news. Fort Worth leaders need to stand up and fight any outside entity that opposes the proposed MD school.

I wish they would have purchased the TWU law school too. :swg:

#6 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

Didn't know TCU had a medical school in the early 1900s.

http://tcumagarchive...x?ArticleId=940

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

If approved, on which campus would the medical school be located?

#8 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

It will be on UNT's campus

#9 jsfslls

jsfslls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

It's official! There are so many great things here.

If you have any trouble reading the article, here's the "What You Need to Know"

What will be the name of the school?

Texas Christian University/University of North Texas Health Science Center Medical School. The M.D. school will be a collaboration of TCU and UNTSHC and their M.D. students will be considered students of both schools.

When will the school open?

The M.D. school will begin accepting applications in Fall 2017 and classes will begin in Fall 2018. Classes will be taught at both campuses, which are less than three miles apart.

Does the school need approval from the state?

No approval is needed from the state because it will be a private school and will not need state funding. “We can do the school tomorrow with just TCU on it,” says UNTHSC President Michael Williams.

Which school will award the degrees?

While the M.D. school will be managed by both schools, the degrees will not contain the name of UNTHSC. Legislation authored by then-Sen. Mike Moncrief in 1993 stipulated that no M.D. program could be awarded by UNTHSC.

How many students will be in the school?

The first class will have 60 students and enrollment is expected to reach 240 by 2021-2022.

How much will it cost to start?

Officials estimate $75 million. UNTHSC says it has $25 million in pledges and TCU has $50 million in endowments. Long-term funding will come from tuition, fees and private support.

Will tuition rates be raised at either university?

No, the tuition for current UNTHSC and TCU students will not be raised by the creation of the M.D. school. The tuition of the M.D. school will be determined by TCU and UNTHSC.

Who will lead the M.D. school?

A dean will be jointly hired by TCU and UNTHSC and report to provosts at both schools. The dean will have an office on both campuses.

What about faculty?

Existing faculty at both universities will be used and the dean will be in charge of new hires.

What is the difference between osteopathic medicine (D.O.) and allopathic medicine (M.D.)?

Osteopathic medicine

A practice that is centered on the whole person, the body's ability to heal itself and disease prevention. Doctors of osteopathic medicine are called D.O.s and are fully trained and licensed to prescribe medicine.

Allopathic medicine

A system in which medical doctors and other healthcare professionals (such as nurses, pharmacists and therapists) treat symptoms and diseases using drugs, radiation or surgery. M.D.s practice allopathic medicine.

Sources: TCU, UNTHSC, American Osteopathic Association, National Institutes of Health

#10 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

Texas Christian University/University of North Texas Health Science Center Medical School?  Hmm.  Try fitting that name on a letter head.  Why not name the school posthumously after some distinguished Texas doctor?  Surely there's someone with the notoriety of a Michael DeBakey?

#11 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

While the M.D. school will be managed by both schools, the degrees will not contain the name of UNTHSC. Legislation authored by then-Sen. Mike Moncrief in 1993 stipulated that no M.D. program could be awarded by UNTHSC.

Interesting - so it's sort of a mini-Wright amendment for med schools?  So just repeating Urbndwlr's question above - any idea / spectulation on why MM would do something like that?  Did he have some kind of attachment to Baylor med school?  So strange that the schools have to go to this length to get around this. 

#12 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

My guess is that the school will be renamed for the person who writes the largest check, and that Dr. Boschini is out there as we speak, soliciting for said check.  $40 million would probably get it done.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

Interesting - so it's sort of a mini-Wright amendment for med schools?  So just repeating Urbndwlr's question above - any idea / spectulation on why MM would do something like that?  Did he have some kind of attachment to Baylor med school?  So strange that the schools have to go to this length to get around this. 

:blink: :huh:

#14 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

That's not what it says on the UNT System website.  UNT seems to believe they can award an M.D. degree.   http://www.untsystem...c-md-degree.htm

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:27 PM

While I am glad the city is getting ANOTHER medical school, I am not particularly giddy about allopathic medicine, at least not on a personal level, at this point in time. I have had two DOs as my family physicians in the last 20 years and I am not interested in "going back" any time soon. Osteopathy seems to work well for my lifestyle, meaning fewer drugs, more and better exercise, and no surgeries in many years. I seem to take a lickin' and keep on ticking' and my doctor has been a supportive agent in helping me keep an active and healthy lifestyle. 

Again, another medical school for Fort Worth is a great thing. Maybe another great thing would be for some of the philosophy of Osteopathy to leak into the joint TCU/UNT MD program resulting in more doctors with a holistic approach to patient health care. 

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

..Osteopathy seems to work well for my lifestyle, meaning fewer drugs, more and better exercise, and no surgeries in many years..... Maybe another great thing would be for some of the philosophy of Osteopathy to leak into the joint TCU/UNT MD program resulting in more doctors with a holistic approach to patient health care. 

True, that is a concern of mine; and the DO approach is worth preserving.

#17 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:24 AM

http://healthcare.dm...with-m-d-track/

According to this article, the law creating Unthsc was the same one restricting it from having an MD school. I suppose that was a good compromise at the time.

Students will take classes at both campuses. Hopefully the T will step up with regular service between the campuses...

#18 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:58 AM

This is confusing.  The Med School will be named after TCU and UNTHSC, but the M.D. diploma will be titled "Texas Christian University" until the law is repealed in 2017?  The law definitely needs to be repealed, if only for the sake of alumni (an opinion from one who has had a roughly analogous experience with a law school diploma from one institution that was replaced by another).

#19 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

Perhaps the new school with have it's own name separate from TCU and UNT-HSC. The famous doctor approach as suggested by johnfwd or the biggest donor approach Hannerhan mentioned are certainly possible. The Basses are probably getting tired of naming things after themselves and family members so perhaps they could chip in and ask for the project to be dubbed "The Fort Worth Medical School", or in keeping with the trend toward regionalization (and a tip of the hat to UNT) "The North Texas Medical School". 

Other possibilities: "Tarrant Medical School" especially if TCC or the County were to get involved in a big way, "Dallas-Area Medical School", "West-Dallas Area Medical School", "DFW Medical School"... (see image of Fort Worth Thread http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=5257 )

As the program is to be science-based and not an outreach branch of the Church of Christ - Scientist the name " North Texas Christian Medical School" is unlikely.

#20 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

TCU is not Church of Christ but is Disciples of Christ(The Christian Church).  All I have heard is the medical school will be TCU's.  It will share space, faculty, and research with the existing UNT Health Science Center.  

#21 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

I should have been more clear in the previous post, half of which is definitely tongue -in-cheek. The reference to CoC-S was meant to be a humorous play on medicine=science and not a reference to TCU's religious affiliation; no hands-on healing, no sole dependence on prayer as therapy, etc. My apologies to anyone offended or confused, I will try to be more appropriate. I edited the post moving that reference to the comic sans font part.

#22 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

I was no offended at all.  A lot of people think TCU is affiliated with the Church of Christ.  That would be Abilene Christian University.

#23 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

By the way, both the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the Churches of Christ derive from the Restoration Movement, and share a common origin.  It's just that the Christian Church (DoC) is much more liberal than the Churches of Christ, yet the confusion between the two could be a factor in discouraging students from applying to TCU.

But back to the medical school, as an undergraduate student at TCU, I am excited that TCU will collaborate on a new medical school.  This can only serve to increase TCU's (and UNTHSC's) institutional prestige.  I wouldn't be surprised if TCU overtakes SMU on the U.S. News rankings after the medical school is established, especially if some biomedical research occurs on TCU's campus.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#24 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

No matter what the final name will be, it will have TCU's name on it. TCU is fronting most of the money initially and over the long term.  It is written into the MOU.

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

Richard Connor in Business Press wrote this excellent, postive editorial.

http://www.fortworth...25b5e235ed.html

#26 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

It will be on UNT's campus

Hmmm, more neighborhood land grabbing to come?

#27 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Too bad there could not be a way of housing the medical schools adjacent to JPS, maybe with TCC's excellent nursing program on the other side.

#28 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Yes, the medical school in the hospital district would be a wise compromise location between the two campuses, in my opinion, and also make sense in terms of proximity to medical facilities (e.g., TCU campus is quite a ways from the nearest hospital).   I'm not clear what you mean by the TCC nursing program.  Aren't they located in that ostentatious-looking campus next to the old courthouse?

#29 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

2.5 miles from TCU to Harris Methodist and 3.4 miles from TCU to JPS is quite a ways from the nearest hospitals?

• JBB likes this

#30 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Drove by UNTHSC yesterday, and there were construction fences put up around two one-story buildings at the corner of Camp Bowie and Clifton.  In looking them up on the campus map online, the buildings appear to be offices for HR and risk management.

#31 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Drove by UNTHSC yesterday, and there were construction fences put up around two one-story buildings at the corner of Camp Bowie and Clifton.  In looking them up on the campus map online, the buildings appear to be offices for HR and risk management.

Does this mean the two buildings will be demolished to make way for the new medical school building?  Has there been a rendering of the project published?

#32 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

Does this mean the two buildings will be demolished to make way for the new medical school building?  Has there been a rendering of the project published?

I wondered the same thing, and haven't seen any kind of plans for the site.  Worth keeping an eye on.

#33 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

The new dean of the TCU/UNT Medical School discusses issues related to the new school:

http://www.star-tele...le85132642.html

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Plans to build a building in hospital district

https://twitter.com/...257029302898691

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

Plans to build a building in hospital district

https://twitter.com/...257029302898691

I knew it was just a matter of time... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#36 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Any chance TCU/UNT's new building in the hospital district is the same six-story building on Pennsylvania that Austin 55 mentioned over in the Southside Developments thread?  

If they're confirmed to be separate projects, that's even better!

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

I don't have any reason to believe they are related, but I guess it's possible.

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

First year of students will go free thanks to a donation. 

http://www.star-tele...e145228199.html

#39 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Legislation signed to permit UNT/TCU allopathic medical school to proceed:

http://www.star-tele...rylink=hpdigest

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

A plan that is coming together nicely -

http://www.fortworth...9d1fe4ad85.html

Oh by the way, does "The Fort Worth School of Medicine" roles off the tip of the tongue easier.

#41 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 11:06 PM

An old college buddy is sending his daughter to UNTHS/TCU Med School. He asked if The Kelton was okay...

Sure wish that the medical school could come up with a suitable brand.  Sometime back, I thought the school in Fort Worth might chose the name of Carroll M. Peak, the city's earliest/first physician.

C M Peak College of Medical Sciences  "Peak Medical"

#42 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:47 AM

An old college buddy is sending his daughter to UNTHS/TCU Med School. He asked if The Kelton was okay...

Sure wish that the medical school could come up with a suitable brand.  Sometime back, I thought the school in Fort Worth might chose the name of Carroll M. Peak, the city's earliest/first physician.

C M Peak College of Medical Sciences  "Peak Medical"

I went to Carrol Peak elementary in 2nd Grade when they bused us in the late 70's for integration

#43 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

Has anyone heard or seen what UNTHSC's plans are for enrollment growth?

Think i read they have about 2300+/- students total, currently.  Curious to better understand if that will grow meaningfully. 

I have seen the web site with the master plan on it, which suggests growth in students, but haven't seen a projection of # students and when that is expected to happen.

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:17 PM

Making strides !

Fort Worth Business Press - https://fortworthbus...-accreditation/

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:22 PM

UNT is out, now just TCU school of medicine.

https://fortworthbus...Y6VOOGwefrP6V78

#46 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:48 PM

Wow, thats a big shift.

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:01 PM

So technically, TCU has its first (?) satellite campus...?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#48 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:24 PM

Does that mean Dashrose is in or out?

https://www.fortwort...=1

#49 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:56 AM

Does that mean Dashrose is in or out?

https://www.fortwort...=1

I have no answer for you on that.  But I would like to know if the FWBP article (I don't subscribe online) gave an explanation as to why the break up?

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:00 AM

From the ST article:

Neither the release nor spokespeople for the school provided details as to why the change was made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users