19 replies to this topic

#1 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I was riding on the Trinity Trails last night and noticed a sign proclaiming Clearfork Food Park was coming soon. This is on the west bank of the Trinity between Trinity Park and University, about here. I'm kind of thinking that the food truck park thing is played out, but this is actually a good idea to me. Currently the only food business catering to Trinity Trail bike and foot traffic anywhere near there is the Woodshed. I know it has its fans, but it seems like it's a niche place to me; definitely not for everyone. The food parks around town thus far are on North Main (Cowtown Chowdown) and behind the Montgomery Plaza Target (Fort Worth Food Park). Neither one is particularly accessible to bike infrastructure. They're not awful to get to, but if you're riding a bike you have to go out of your way.

This new food park is going to be right on one of the most popular areas of the trail. I think it will be an excellent alternative to the Woodshed. I can see where it would outdraw the other food truck parks in town: It's right on the trail, and people who ride the trail are probably much, much more likely to go to a food truck for a meal or a snack that people in climate controlled boxes on wheels. Cyclists and joggers are already out in the environment, so eating outdoors seems like a no-brainer. Even better if you can keep your eye on your bike and not have to lock it up while your order and eat.

I think this might turn out pretty well.
My blog: Doohickie

#2 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

That is an excellent spot for a food park. Plenty of tables and bike racks will be needed.

Adrian

#3 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

That looks to be where the burned down Swiss House restaurant was many years ago.

You also have Smashburger and Zoe's real close to the trail in that area.

#4 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

I was riding on the Trinity Trails last night and noticed a sign proclaiming Clearfork Food Park was coming soon. This is on the west bank of the Trinity between Trinity Park and University, about here. I'm kind of thinking that the food truck park thing is played out, but this is actually a good idea to me. Currently the only food business catering to Trinity Trail bike and foot traffic anywhere near there is the Woodshed. I know it has its fans, but it seems like it's a niche place to me; definitely not for everyone. The food parks around town thus far are on North Main (Cowtown Chowdown) and behind the Montgomery Plaza Target (Fort Worth Food Park). Neither one is particularly accessible to bike infrastructure. They're not awful to get to, but if you're riding a bike you have to go out of your way.

This new food park is going to be right on one of the most popular areas of the trail. I think it will be an excellent alternative to the Woodshed. I can see where it would outdraw the other food truck parks in town: It's right on the trail, and people who ride the trail are probably much, much more likely to go to a food truck for a meal or a snack that people in climate controlled boxes on wheels. Cyclists and joggers are already out in the environment, so eating outdoors seems like a no-brainer. Even better if you can keep your eye on your bike and not have to lock it up while your order and eat.

I think this might turn out pretty well.

Glad to see you are catching up to the idea that food truck food isn't what Fort Worth folks want if they are driving a vehicle and have to sit out in the elements. I suspect that less than a year, the food truck rage will all but be dead in Fort Worth.

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think food trucks can be very successful in Fort Worth, but they need to be accessible. The one behind Target has a following, but you gotta look for it; I think that will be subject to a flagging of the "food truck rage." Along the trail, though, it is hitting the right market. I think one could do well on the Near Southside given the right location because of the bike friendliness of the neighborhood. The one on Main Street may do okay eventually depending on the Trinity River Vision changes.

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

What I find "seriously odd" about this concept is you're driving to visit a restaurant that's on wheels.

I've not visited other places where this exact concept has worked, but the food trucks I've had experience with were extensions of successful restaurants that utilized their trucks to extend the range of their market and make it easier for customers to sample their foods even if they were not up to the same quality as their sit down places customers were appreciative of the convenience and extra effort.

It's VERY hard to keep food at a safe temp / environment long enough to ensure everyone gets the same presentation and still turn a profit for land based restaurants, it's exponentially more difficult for a mobile truck that's saddled with LP gas or electric griddles if they're lucky.

What I don't understand is why are there no hot dog / fajita stands in Sundance Square, Home Depot and Lowes have them???!!!???

I've sampled urban delicacies from New York to Zurich to Mexico City but if I want to try something similar in Fort Worth I HAVE TO DRIVE to a lot back BEHIND Target. Why is Fort Worth so ashamed of these places, they should be showcased not hidden?

If I'm exiting a club in downtown Fort Worth and am craving something seriously not good for me, I have to wait in line at a sit down restaurant or DRIVE to Target if I want to scarf a greasy b-wurst or some grilled heart attack and onions wrapped in a tortilla.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

It's VERY hard to keep food at a safe temp / environment long enough to ensure everyone gets the same presentation and still turn a profit for land based restaurants

Every food truck I've bought from at the parks in Fort Worth has made food to order in the trucks. They're not preparing it off site and storing it in the truck for transport.

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

It's VERY hard to keep food at a safe temp / environment long enough to ensure everyone gets the same presentation and still turn a profit for land based restaurants

Every food truck I've bought from at the parks in Fort Worth has made food to order in the trucks. They're not preparing it off site and storing it in the truck for transport.

It's still tough if you're serving more than 12 orders an hour, but all the more reason to move them from the back lots behind grocery stores and put them where the people are, and I'm not talking about parking food trucks downtown but unobtrusive carts like New York hot dog stands. I do see food trucks stocking the food carts.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Well, it's open. Very convenient access from the Trinity Trail near Ol' South

Posted Image

There is a bike rack right by the trail.

Posted Image

And next to that, a bar.

Posted Image

You can see several food trucks in the pic above, plus there were more on the other side of the park. In between is a covered pavilion, and beyond that, plentiful parking that can be accessed from Old University.

Posted Image

I got a Polish sausage from the Taste of Home Chicago style truck

Posted Image

Strange perspective in this pic; the sausage was more than big enough to satisfy my appetite

Posted Image

This park is done up right. There is a large shaded/sheltered pavilion, easy access from the trail, lots of parking, I think this will work.

#10 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

I think that I heard that the owners of Fred's are involved in this deal.

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

That looks awesome, I cant wait to try it out sometime.

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I think that I heard that the owners of Fred's are involved in this deal.

They are contracted out to run Fred's Bait Shop, the bar at the food park. Plus they had their truck there on Friday.

#13 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I read in the ST paper last week that 6 trucks around town closed down due to lack of business.

This will not last long, give it another 6-7 months.

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think there's a seasonal aspect. See what happens come springtime.

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Short piece in the S-T about the sometimes bawdy history of the site that is now Clearfork Food Park. The author left out the first chapter of the story, when the building was constructed to house the Merrimac Restaurant and Disco, built by local restauranteur Willis "Mac" MacIntosh (Carriage House and Mac's House) and investors. The street that provides access still bears the name of that enterprise.

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Interesting.  I was living here in 2001 but never knew about the place that burned.

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I remember the fire.  For a while, we would ride by on the trail looking at the charred remains.

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I wasn't riding back then.

#19 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

FYI for anyone going there in September. The Clearfork Food Truck park is currently without a liquor license, thus it is BYOB until October 1st. Enjoy!

#20 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

I heard Fred's was pulling out and another vendor is going in to the bar building.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trinity Trails, Food Park, Food Trucks, Dining, Restaurants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users