#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,752 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:52 PM

For those of you who have access, Downtown Arlington's businesses have survived through the pandemic.  Kailey Broussard reports in this article:

https://www.star-tel...e253279258.html

The article states that Downtown Arlington fared better than most downtowns because it was an up and coming area and they didn't have very many office workers that fled for working from home.  After spending 7 years at UTA, I don't think that it hurt that the university was right at downtown's doorstep, even though a lot of students were not attending classes in person.

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:22 AM

I've always looked at downtown Arlington from an historical perspective, viewing it's development as an urban community unfortunately located between two major cities.  What I mean is that Arlington has never really had a bona fide "downtown."  For a city of nearly 400,000 people, its downtown should have the high-rise building density typical of a city of its size.  Because I lived in the Oklahoma City area many years ago, that city had only about 100,000 more than Arlington has today, yet OKC back in the early 70s had a notable skyline.  Maybe if Arlington was an isolated city like OKC it's downtown would have taken on a skyline, too.  Incidentally, I attended UTA many years ago and remember a classmate (who later became sports editor of the Arlington newspaper) always complaining about Arlington "being in the middle." 

#3 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:57 AM

I'd argue that if Arlington was an isolated city it would be Midlothian. The only reason it has 400,000 people is because it is between Fort Worth and Dallas. It would have been interesting for city leaders or some group to have pursued something like we see in Las Colinas or along the North Dallas Tollway. I think being between the regions binary stars might have offered some opportunities along those lines.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 01:53 PM

Arlington's downtown has built up a decent bar and restaurant scene not all that dissimilar from the selection in Grapevine or Roanoke, just a little more spread out/less walkable and peppered with the pawn shops and used car lots.

#5 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:01 PM

True, they've really put a lot of effort and some expense at trying to make the area from the northeast part of UTA through downtown and part of Division (180) more of a destination than it has been. There are more options than there have ever been, but yeah it's definitely not a tight walkable are. There are some nice little pockets but it's not a great walk between those. Mabe it will fill in more over time.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:44 PM

The stretches of Abram and Front going east from Pecan are actually not bad at all.  I've been to Cane Rosso and Babe's this summer, but I'll have to admit that I haven't been to any of the places on Abram in a few years and that was just to park at J Gilligan's to get a ride to concert at the stadium.

#7 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:07 PM

I forgot Cane Rosso opened there. Went to the one on Magnolia many times but sweet wife put them in the penalty box several years ago. We took our oldest daughter there for her birthday and after waiting over 20 minutes for our pizzas the manager came out and said they'd run out of cheese because the (Saturday) night before was busy. He did offer to make us pizza without cheese or we could select any of their cheese-less dishes. We paid for our apps and drinks and left.

On Front Street between Hurtado and Legal Draft is Tipsy Oak. That's another good one in that area. Every dish I've tried has been very good and I have to love a place that uses Buffalo Trace in their Old Fashioned.

#8 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Interests:(pronounced
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:49 PM

I forgot Cane Rosso opened there. Went to the one on Magnolia many times but sweet wife put them in the penalty box several years ago. We took our oldest daughter there for her birthday and after waiting over 20 minutes for our pizzas the manager came out and said they'd run out of cheese because the (Saturday) night before was busy. He did offer to make us pizza without cheese or we could select any of their cheese-less dishes. We paid for our apps and drinks and left.

On Front Street between Hurtado and Legal Draft is Tipsy Oak. That's another good one in that area. Every dish I've tried has been very good and I have to love a place that uses Buffalo Trace in their Old Fashioned.

Cane Rosso's has been good when I've dined in-house (that's if they don't run out of cheese, apparently) but I attempted to do the carryout thing during early pandemic and found out their crust turns to shoe leather / soggy mess inner crust after about the 20-minute mark from leaving the shop.  Sort of an awkward combination of "I can't chew this / I don't want to chew this" happening all at once.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:53 PM

Cane Rosso was good on our visit this summer, but the waitress didn't get that when my wife and I wanted to split a salad that we wanted two plates.  If that's the worst thing that happens on a visit to a restaurant, I'm doing pretty good.

A pizza place running out of cheese is odd.  We went to Campo Verde at Christmas a few years ago (not my choice, their food is barely fit for human consumption) and they were out of cheese at around 8:00 on a Friday night.  That's not late to me and cheese is pretty much a staple in almost every dish at a Tex Mex restaurant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users