95 replies to this topic

#51 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:30 PM

At the Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour, Farrington Field was brought up.  Several people there didn't think the facility was really worthy of this designation.  Many said there were a lot of memories at the field, but other than the main entrance, there wasn't much architecture.  A few stated the field takes up too much valuable real estate and the front entrance should be preserved to give the public an idea of what was there and then new development should occur behind it.

200.gif

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#52 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

Yes, new development can occur around them.  The designation does not stop new development on the same piece of property.  I think I have mentioned this before.  National Register designation does not even stop demolition.  This designation is primarily ceremonial, but can come to give some protection if tax credits are involved.  Do demolish a building or structure listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a developer or FWISD would file a notice of demolition to the Texas Historical Commission, who act as stewards for the United States Park Service (managers of listed properties).  The THC would probably write a letter back advising against demolition and to try to find a way to save the structures.  That would probably be as far as the process would go.  The owner or developer would then be able to demolish the structures.  The only historic designation that legally protects a building against demolition is the one at the local level. 

Interesting!

At the Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour, Farrington Field was brought up.  Several people there didn't think the facility was really worthy of this designation.  Many said there were a lot of memories at the field, but other than the main entrance, there wasn't much architecture.  A few stated the field takes up too much valuable real estate and the front entrance should be preserved to give the public an idea of what was there and then new development should occur behind it.

If the school district sells the Field and it falls out of use for sports, my fantasy re-use is demolition of either the east or west bleachers, and re-use of the remaining bleachers as a component of a public park. Say, like this -- demolish the east bleachers and develop the blue rectangle as commercial / residential, but preserve the west bleachers and incorporate it into a public park in the green rectangle. The west bleachers, facing east, would have a great view of the sunrise and the city skyline.

Tm3lSyc.jpg

• JBB likes this

#53 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

I think that's a great idea, but I don't know that the school district or the city is interested in seeing Farrington sold or transferred for yet another public use.  That's not the way to get the top dollar that the district is looking for in this case.

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:05 AM

I think for this deal to work, all of the property is going to have to be sold to private developers.  As for your plan for the grandstands, the western side is the the portion that has the most detail and the bas relief sculptures.  The western side should be the portion preserved. 

#55 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:28 AM

Are there any examples of partial stadiums being preserved as outdoor music venues?

#56 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:32 AM

The Fort Worth ISD currently uses the facility for football and soccer games and track events. Its seating capacity presently is given as 18,500.

I would vote to leave the facility intact and convert it into an outdoor music venue, like the Hollywood Bowl.  Bring your own food and bev, sit back and enjoy live music.  They'd just need to decide where to put the stage(s).

(Edit: that's crazy, I didn't see Austin's post as I was typing mine but seems like we had a similar idea)

Hollywood_Bowl_USGS_2010.jpg

#57 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:35 AM

Here's a couple other concepts for athletic / concert venue:

59614ccdb0c11.image.jpg?resize=2000%2C64

4650035753_2c48c819ac_b.jpg

#58 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:20 AM

Oooh, repurposing the bleachers as part of a live music venue is a good idea; would fit with the vibe of West 7th to the north and cultural district to the west.

#59 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:17 AM

Here's an example of a stadium conversion project.  Highbury Square in London (former home of Arsenal F.C.) was converted to apartments and they redeveloped the pitch (playing field) into gardens.  

240px-Arsenal_Stadium_Highbury_east_faca

#60 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:48 AM

We could do a Highbury-style conversion while leaving one of the two bleachers intact, so that it has a great view straight into the new apartments across the pitch.  :laugh:

#61 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:07 AM

The Fort Worth ISD currently uses the facility for football and soccer games and track events. Its seating capacity presently is given as 18,500.

I would vote to leave the facility intact and convert it into an outdoor music venue, like the Hollywood Bowl.  Bring your own food and bev, sit back and enjoy live music.  They'd just need to decide where to put the stage(s).

(Edit: that's crazy, I didn't see Austin's post as I was typing mine but seems like we had a similar idea)

Hollywood_Bowl_USGS_2010.jpg

You know... if Farrington can't be a soccer specific stadium, I'd be all for an outdoor music/concert venue. 

I would throw out that this could maybe be the third (?) incarnation of Casa Mañana, but I don't know how the ownership works. 

Either way, the stage would HAVE to be on the east side and the western stands would be kept around. Just makes the most sense for skyline views and keeping the sun out of people's eyes. 

7fwPZnE.png

#62 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 02:37 PM

As of February 2, 2022, Farrington Field and the Billingsley Field House have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

#63 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 02:52 PM

Amazing news!

#64 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 04:35 PM

This is a great example of how the public process can be involved with the nomination of public buildings.  It has been generally accepted that only the property owner can nominate a building for designation at any level.  In cities that have local designation, the City Council can define the eligible people who can nominate.  Fort Worth has added to that list for Local Designation only.  For many years, it was also accepted that only the property owner can nominate a building to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  However, recently an exception to the opinion was found.  A member of the public can nominate a publicly owned building to the National Register.  That is how the designations for Farrington Field and Billingsley Field House were carried out. 

This is a simplification of the process, but it was done with these two buildings.  A nomination to the National Register is much more complicated and lengthy than one for a local landmark.  Usually when an owner wants to nominate their building, they either have to do all the research to meet the qualifications for nomination, or they hire a third party historian to do the work.  On the local level, the property owner does all of the historical research.  In this case, a third party historian was hired.  Once the nomination is submitted, all of the procedures for designation are then followed.  The property owner is notified and has a chance to oppose the nomination.  If the nomination is opposed the State's Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) can either proceed or drop the designation, depending on the owner's opposition.  If the case is dropped, the owner is still notified that his building has been determined to be eligible for nomination to the National Register.  If the case is not dropped, then all of the hearings will proceed.  The FWISD was notified and I do not believe that they made any type of formal opposition to the designation.  You have to remember that listing on the National Register or listed as a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark does not save the building or structure from demolition.  Also, if a property is sold, the designation stays with the property.  If Farrington Field and/or Billingsley Field House are sold, the ceremonial listings stay with the property, and the new owners will still have to notify the SHPO if they plan to demolish either structure.

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 06:43 PM

If you would like to read a piece that I wrote for Historic Fort Worth, took most of the photographs, and was published by the Tanglewoodmoms website, go to this link:

https://tanglewoodmo...isd-properties/

#66 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 04:40 AM

Thanks for writing this article, John. It was also neat to see Mr. Farrington III response in the comments.

#67 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 03:22 PM

You're welcome.  I wrote it for Historic Fort Worth, and I think HFW sent it out in an e-blast, and then Tanglewood Moms published it.  This National Register listing was all due to a group of concerned citizens and HFW.  

By the way, I have added the NR designation to Farrington Field on the Cultural District page, and then added the designation within the building description.  I have also now listed the Jack A. Billingsley Field House on the CD page and I will follow up with a building description soon. 

#68 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 04:50 PM

I love the unmolested appearance of the 1930's vintage Farrington Field.

I love that it brings people from all over the city to the center of town for community events (football and maybe others).

I dont know if the FWISD wishes to no longer use Farrington or if they feel pressure to sell it because of the value of the land underneath and adjacent. 

I'd first wonder if the parking lots can be developed and FWISD could continue its current use. 

I also wonder if Farrington can be retrofit (whenever necessary) without changing its perimeter architecture, so that the field can be put to use more days/nights per year.  Jeriat mentioned soccer, which would be great.  I think soccer just barely fits in the field (or might require changes to the lowest part of the bowl. 

Selling the massive parking lot to someone who will develop it well, yes, that sounds smart. 

#69 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 08 February 2022 - 05:23 PM

So would Farrington Field no longer be associated with FWISD and be open to be converted into a soccer specific field?

#70 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 10:43 PM

Theres plenty of room for additional field. Just remove the track.

I love the unmolested appearance of the 1930's vintage Farrington Field.
I love that it brings people from all over the city to the center of town for community events (football and maybe others).
I dont know if the FWISD wishes to no longer use Farrington or if they feel pressure to sell it because of the value of the land underneath and adjacent. 

I'd first wonder if the parking lots can be developed and FWISD could continue its current use. 
I also wonder if Farrington can be retrofit (whenever necessary) without changing its perimeter architecture, so that the field can be put to use more days/nights per year.  Jeriat mentioned soccer, which would be great.  I think soccer just barely fits in the field (or might require changes to the lowest part of the bowl. 

Selling the massive parking lot to someone who will develop it well, yes, that sounds smart. 

#71 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:24 PM

The city and ISD will host a study with ULI to find out the best way to develop the site. 

https://fortworthgov...D8-51E3112EA11E

The City of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth Independent School District (FWISD), in cooperation with the Urban Land Institute’s Dallas - Fort Worth District Council (ULI DFW), are sponsoring a panel of eleven real estate experts who will visit Fort Worth on February 15-17 to assess opportunities for redevelopment of the Farrington Field site at 1501 University Drive. This 36-acre tract, located in the heart of Fort Worth’s renowned Cultural District, has the potential to attract entrepreneurial businesses that would align with the City’s economic development strategic plan while complementing existing businesses and institutions in the area. The possibility of redevelopment is challenging, however, because the iconic art deco stadium is architecturally and historically significant, because the site contains important drainage easements and setbacks for nearby gas wells, and because the Fort Worth Stock Show and other public events rely heavily upon the parking lot to meet their operational requirements. 

FWISD owns the Farrington Field site, which includes the Jack A. Billingsley Field House and a large parking lot as well as the stadium at the southeast corner of University Drive and Lancaster Avenue. The City of Fort Worth, which historically donated 17 acres of this property to FWISD, is contractually entitled to receive half the proceeds from any sale of that donated property. Both entities stand to benefit from the thoughtful work that the ULI technical assistance panel will perform.

During the first day of their three-day workshop, the ULI panel will receive a thorough briefing on this assignment, tour the site and its surroundings, and interview approximately sixty local stakeholders to gather their insights. The panel will then analyze all pertinent data and produce a set of creative yet practical ideas that will maximize the site’s potential to promote economic development and neighborhood vitality.

The panel will present their findings and recommendations at a public meeting to be held on Thursday, February 17, at 2:30 p.m. at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Center, 3220 Botanic Garden Boulevard. ULI will provide the City and FWISD with a draft report on the workshop results within 90 days thereafter and will be available to provide implementation advice for twelve months after the workshop.

City staff from multiple departments are participating in this study. The Planning and Data Analytics Department has taken the lead in preparing a briefing book with extensive information for the panel’s use before, during, and after the workshop. As the study’s sponsors, the City and FWISD are each contributing $25,000 to cover the panel’s costs.

#72 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 10:35 PM

The city and ISD will host a study with ULI to find out the best way to develop the site. 

The City of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth Independent School District (FWISD), in cooperation with the Urban Land Institute’s Dallas - Fort Worth District Council (ULI DFW), are sponsoring a panel of eleven real estate experts who will visit Fort Worth on February 15-17 to assess opportunities for redevelopment of the Farrington Field site at 1501 University Drive. This 36-acre tract, located in the heart of Fort Worth’s renowned Cultural District, has the potential to attract entrepreneurial businesses that would align with the City’s economic development strategic plan while complementing existing businesses and institutions in the area. The possibility of redevelopment is challenging, however, because the iconic art deco stadium is architecturally and historically significant, because the site contains important drainage easements and setbacks for nearby gas wells, and because the Fort Worth Stock Show and other public events rely heavily upon the parking lot to meet their operational requirements. 

FWISD owns the Farrington Field site, which includes the Jack A. Billingsley Field House and a large parking lot as well as the stadium at the southeast corner of University Drive and Lancaster Avenue. The City of Fort Worth, which historically donated 17 acres of this property to FWISD, is contractually entitled to receive half the proceeds from any sale of that donated property. Both entities stand to benefit from the thoughtful work that the ULI technical assistance panel will perform.

During the first day of their three-day workshop, the ULI panel will receive a thorough briefing on this assignment, tour the site and its surroundings, and interview approximately sixty local stakeholders to gather their insights. The panel will then analyze all pertinent data and produce a set of creative yet practical ideas that will maximize the site’s potential to promote economic development and neighborhood vitality.

The panel will present their findings and recommendations at a public meeting to be held on Thursday, February 17, at 2:30 p.m. at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Center, 3220 Botanic Garden Boulevard. ULI will provide the City and FWISD with a draft report on the workshop results within 90 days thereafter and will be available to provide implementation advice for twelve months after the workshop.

City staff from multiple departments are participating in this study. The Planning and Data Analytics Department has taken the lead in preparing a briefing book with extensive information for the panel’s use before, during, and after the workshop. As the study’s sponsors, the City and FWISD are each contributing $25,000 to cover the panel’s costs.

Who could have ever thought that urban gas well sites might get in the way of future development?

#73 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 09:09 AM

The panel is going to "visit Fort Worth on February 15-17 to assess opportunities for redevelopment of the Farrington Field site at 1501 University Drive" and then present their findings at a public meeting in the afternoon on February 17th? That's a fast assessment, good for them!

The possibility of redevelopment is challenging, however, because the iconic art deco stadium is architecturally and historically significant, because the site contains important drainage easements and setbacks for nearby gas wells, and because the Fort Worth Stock Show and other public events rely heavily upon the parking lot to meet their operational requirements. 

Off the cuff proposal today: use the surface-lot-and-parkland pocket south of the stadium and bounded by University and Trail for a monster parking garage that'll service both the stadium and Fort Worth Stock Show. This pocket should support a parking garage as big as the new Chevrolet Garage south of Dickies Arena. Having built this parking garage, 100% of the existing parking lot east of the stadium can be developed for higher uses. 

#74 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 05:30 PM

The panel is going to "visit Fort Worth on February 15-17 to assess opportunities for redevelopment of the Farrington Field site at 1501 University Drive" and then present their findings at a public meeting in the afternoon on February 17th? That's a fast assessment, good for them!

The possibility of redevelopment is challenging, however, because the iconic art deco stadium is architecturally and historically significant, because the site contains important drainage easements and setbacks for nearby gas wells, and because the Fort Worth Stock Show and other public events rely heavily upon the parking lot to meet their operational requirements. 

Off the cuff proposal today: use the surface-lot-and-parkland pocket south of the stadium and bounded by University and Trail for a monster parking garage that'll service both the stadium and Fort Worth Stock Show. This pocket should support a parking garage as big as the new Chevrolet Garage south of Dickies Arena. Having built this parking garage, 100% of the existing parking lot east of the stadium can be developed for higher uses. 

I dig it. Something like below, perhaps?

The garage S. of the stadium is the exact same footprint as the Chevrolet Garage at Dickies, plus you have the big equestrian garage to the east of the John Justin arena that has a couple of hundred spots. I tried to preserve the two historic venues and the park-like setting around Farrington. To the east, I've subdivived the parking lot into 3 big development pads and some new circlaution roads around the area. 

L5ETxtq.jpg

#75 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 06:10 PM

I know Farrington is the centerpiece of the property, but I am equally interested in hearing a plan for Billingsley Field House.  It really is a unique facility with the sunken dugout bench areas and the finished wood bleachers.  I just don't know what they could do with it that would preserve that uniqueness.  It might make an interesting small live music venue, but I'm sure it would have lousy acoustics.  It really is a great place to watch basketball.  I say that even though I haven't been to a game there in probably close to 30 years.

#76 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 10:38 AM

I dig it. Something like below, perhaps?

Yep, that's the good stuff. It occurs to me that there's room for north-facing stadium seating to be built into the north side of that new parking garage, too.

#77 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 11:56 PM

Alright, I think I got all I wanted to add...

icFYQ72.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#78 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:36 PM

https://www.star-tel...e258381903.html

Why do they keep eyeing far north Fort Worth for the soccer stadium???? A Farrington Field reuse seems like a logical choice (especially with the ULI panel now in place). This stadium could really improve density in/near the urban core. Please take the survey and tell the city we want the stadium downtown!

https://www.fortwort...-Stadium-Survey

#79 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:40 PM

fernando.costa@fortworthtexas.gov <fernando.costa@fortworthtexas.gov>;

You can also send your feedback to ACM, Fernando Costa. He is Fort Worth's Point of Contact for the ULI study.

#80 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 03:17 PM

Director, City of Fort Worth Public Events, Michael Crum's Response.... does anyone want to help with an educated response?

As a single field, Farrington Field lacks the opportunity to build the supporting fields the potential USL organization needs for practices and an academy program.  The site was not considered when the Fort Worth Sports Authority was looking at sites for a multi-field facility that would be primary used to attract sports tourism events.

Additionally, I think the opportunity to upgrade a facility with a historic designation is limited.  The USL stadiums being built today come with the premium seating and sponsorship opportunities appropriate for a mid-tier professional sports team.  Also, we’d have to look at whether or not the field could be expanded to create an international competition-compliant soccer pitch.  To do something like this in a venue like Farrington usually means demolishing seating, which might not be possible with the historic designation.

I do love the facility, as it reminds me of a similar venue in Charlotte that I experienced when I would accompany my Dad on recruiting trips when he was coaching at UNC.  That venue, Memorial Stadium, was a WPA project that had a historic designation that the community ultimately altered in order to renovate that facility.  That might be a case study for the future of Farrington.

Mike

Michael E. Crum

Director

City of Fort Worth - Public Events Department

#81 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 03:51 PM

The National Register Designation that was just put on Farrington Field does not preclude the current owner or any future owner from demolishing all or part of the structure.

I just attended a one-on-one session with the ULIDFW, and they told me that I gave them more feedback in 20 minutes that some people did in their entire session.  I gave them my concerns about the stadium and the field house and I also gave them some feedback on developing the vacant land around both facilities.  It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the Public Hearing on Thursday.

#82 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 05:09 PM

John, where can I sign up for a one-on-one session with the ULIDFW? I don't mind being the squeaky wheel. I think the city is making a huge long-term mistake if they build the stadium in the burbs... 

The National Register Designation that was just put on Farrington Field does not preclude the current owner or any future owner from demolishing all or part of the structure.

I just attended a one-on-one session with the ULIDFW, and they told me that I gave them more feedback in 20 minutes that some people did in their entire session.  I gave them my concerns about the stadium and the field house and I also gave them some feedback on developing the vacant land around both facilities.  It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the Public Hearing on Thursday.

#83 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:19 PM

ULIDFW changed the meeting today.  It was supposed to be a "stakeholders" meeting.  There were three of us from Historic Fort Worth who were supposed to be participating in this discussion.  Instead they split us up and it became a one-on-one discussion.  I don't know how they handled the others from HFW, or the other stakeholders.  The reason HFW was one of these groups is that we submitted the nomination to the National Register.  It has been determined that anyone can submit a National Register nomination for a public building or structure. 

I don't know how you can get a one-on-one session, but there will be a public meeting on Thursday at 2:30 PM at the Botanic Garden Center.  I believe Austin55 has already posted a link in this thread.

#84 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:44 PM

The proposed site at I-35W and Basswood... maybe I'm unreasonably suspect of something nefarious, but I'd REALLY be curious to know who/what owns that large undeveloped tract of land east of I-35W and bounded by Basswood, N. Riverside Drive, and Thompson... and I'd be curious to know their political contributions over the past 5yrs

#85 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:27 PM

TAD shows an address that leads to Pareto Group in Charleston. Website: http://www.pareto.gr/ 

#86 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:28 AM

https://www.star-tel...e258381903.html

Why do they keep eyeing far north Fort Worth for the soccer stadium???? 

I already had the Comprehensive Plan open to make a post in a different thread today, so I'll dip back into it. I think one reasonable answer to this question in light of the Plan is "because Fort Worth envisions multiple 'Growth Centers' outside of downtown." (My quotes, not the Plan's.) I can't find mention of a designated Growth Center in far north Fort Worth at C-6 (page 358 of 423), but we can see that the Plan contemplates several up there more generally (e.g., the northern blue blobs in "MULTIPLE GROWTH CENTERS" on page 13 of 423).

Separately -- looks like they want 20 fields and 10,000 seats for the new stadium; how many seats are in Farrington Field's stadium today? Can the acreage plausibly support 20 fields?

#87 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:47 PM

If you can't make the ULIDFW Public Meeting in person tomorrow, you can join by Zoom.  The information is below:

If you are interested in viewing the TAP Public presentation you are welcome to join us using the Zoom link below:

https://uli.zoom.us/...ERDL29qYnVNQT09

Passcode: 281619

Again, thank you for your time and participation in the Farrington Field TAP interviews.
Shane

Shane Burton
Contractor - Tarrant County

ULI Dallas-Fort Worth – the Urban Land Institute
600 North Pearl Street| Suite 2350, LB 149 | Dallas, TX 75201-2820
shane.burton@uli.org | 214-880-8788 Office | 972-880-4550

#88 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:10 PM

I have the meeting running in the background and here's a couple screen grabs.  If there's anything else interesting, I'll just edit and add them here later in this post.

QqqyhCR.png

qEFI6KB.png

lrISLAt.png

zGNtSoM.png

sxD4m1O.png

JWapz5g.png

TEkbDge.png

oVLm3xz.png

vpqD90k.png

zIWchNm.png

mRA3vKU.png

A few online questions as well as several in-person were addressed:

• Has there been any consideration for use of both federal and state historic tax credits as these structures are listed on national Register and eligible for these benefits.
  • Sorry, I'm late. I may have missed this question. Did your group consider the reuse of Farrington Field as a soccer specific stadium? The city of Fort Worth is considering a stadium build of 10500 seats near Basswood and I35. I think this location is a better use of land and could help the infill development taking place in the adjcent neighborhoods.
  • American Legion Memorial Stadium (also had a Historic Designation) in Charlotte, NC was repurposed for a USL Championship team.

#89 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 05:23 PM

Happy to know that they are considering a stadium use for Farrington Field. 

#90 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 06:10 PM

What I got out of this meeting was they have a plan in place and a timeline to receive proposals to hire a master site developer.  One of the attendees that works for a developer raised the question as to if this firm hired would long term oversee the site including the public spaces and how exactly would that work as far as setting up a foundation to manage that, similar to Clyde Warren Park.  Some concerns were raised about the infrastructure underneath the site and some of the limitations of that and the ADA limitations of using it for either Vaquero's soccer stadium or a concert venue.  Timeline for selection of a firm is around Q3 2023 so about 18 - 24months out. (See timeline above). 

#91 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:57 PM

I'll bet if they could build a bridge over University Drive to the WRMC barns and could use the infield as an exercise or practice area for horses during the Stock Show, whatever project the bureaucrats chose for the old stadium the rest of the year would be funded...

#92 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 08:40 AM

Here's a link to the Fort Worth Magazine article on the ULI discussions last week:

https://fwtx.com/new...gton-field-pro/

#93 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 11:13 PM

Heres a new S-T article: Its time to develop a plan to save and adapt all of Fort Worths Farrington Field

Read more at: https://www.star-tel...l#storylink=cpy

#94 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 04:43 PM

It's nearly been a year since the ULI studies. Anyone heard any updates?

#95 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 05:21 PM

I haven't heard anything, and they were supposed to contact the interested parties that participated in the last discussions.

#96 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:21 PM

My wife (a FWISD teacher) said she heard that there was a bond issue that did not pass which put much of the sale/redevelopment of FWISD properties on hold.  I haven't verified that but I wonder if that is affecting the Farrington Field situation (sounds like it would).

My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users