Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Pier One Place

Downtown Upper West Side Chesapeake Energy Pier One Modern Architecture

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the Design of Pier 1 Place (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the Design of Pier 1 Place

1. 10 (8 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. 9 (21 votes [32.81%])

Percentage of vote: 32.81%

3. 8 (21 votes [32.81%])

Percentage of vote: 32.81%

4. 7 (9 votes [14.06%])

Percentage of vote: 14.06%

5. 6 (3 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

6. 5 (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

7. 4 (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

8. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 16 September 2004 - 07:30 AM

It is 7:30p and Pier 1 still had not been lighted. Guess we should have waited until later. Mosquitos and nosee-ums were having a delightful time at my expense. Sunset against the limited Trinity River skyline was a great view. Time to reflect.. then head home.

Posted Image

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#102 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:38 PM

:D WOW! Great photos everyone. Pier 1 looks downright hot at night, I wish I could have been at the photo shoot. I'll be getting my own pictures sometime soon, at least, I hope.

I can't wait for the Tower to light up too (and eventually Tandy), what a kick in the pants this should be for the skyscrapers downtown and their lighting schemes. There are still quite a few buildings that could be better lit (city center being my number 1 irk.)

#103 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:05 PM

just stepped outside my door to look at it. It really looks nice.

#104 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:31 PM

the light shooting into the sky is amazing... Are there any other buildings that can compare to what Pier1 has done with that beam of light into the sky?? It reminds me of when they had the two beams of light shooting into the sky for the WTC.

#105 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:34 AM

I agree, that beam of light is incredible! Has anyone been able to capture that with a camera??

#106 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:56 AM

In one of my pictures from the Trinity River, a faint beam shows up. However, after driving around in the evenings, I have determined the beam of light is more pronounced when viewed along the short side of the building.

#107 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:06 AM

The WTC 'Tribute in Light" can be seen at this site. It uses the QTVR browser plug-in. When you enter this page it will automatically rotate around. Be sure to click on the image to move the around inside.

"Englewood, NJ photographer Jook Leung RECEIVES FUJIFILM MASTERPIECE AWARD

ELMSFORD, NY - Fuji Photo Film U.S.A., Inc. is proud to announce that Jook Leung
from 360VR Studio won the Fujifilm Masterpiece Award for photographic
excellence in the year 2003, August, 2002 - July, 2003. Jook received the award
from the IAPP for the photograph, "Tribute In Light" in the Electronic Imaging
(A) category. "

http://360vr.com/light2/indexb.html

/Quote

Other than that.. what other night sky streaming are you referring to?

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#108 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

Okay, so it isn't as good as the WTC.

:D

Still impressive for Fort Worth!!

#109 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:09 PM

While you can't see Pier 1 from I-35 directly east of downtown, you can still see the beams of light, which I find incredibley cool. I agree, it's no WTC, but it's definately an icon.

#110 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, I gave it a 10. 9 points for design, and a bonus point for the night lighting :D

#111 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

I think I'll hold back on ranking it until they finish the area around the base of the building. So far, I'm not impressed with that aspect, but they gain a lot of that back with the design of the building and the look at night. The building looks completely different at night than during the day. The white light of the crown contrasted with the darkened lower floors almost makes me feel like I'm looking at a black and white photo.

#112 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:16 PM

Okay, is it just me or has anyone else noticed that all lit up it looks like a giant "M"? For Marvin, maybe? Just an observation.

#113 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

I've noticed that, also. Maybe it was an "architectural joke" to illuminate the building in that fashion. I know that from time to time architects have done crazy things like that. Charles Moore in his design of the Piazza d'Italia in New Orleans put gargoyles of his own image into the project.

#114 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:44 PM

Who's Marvin?

#115 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:19 PM

Marvin Girouard, CEO of Pier One.

#116 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:24 PM

One day, I too will have a tower in the shape of my name. I guess the Pier 1 building is kind of like "Mugatu" in Zoolander.

#117 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:26 PM

Marvin Girouard, CEO of Pier One.

View Post

Whoops, I knew that ;)

#118 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:03 AM

The other night it was overcast and Pier One was projecting a bright white light onto the cloud base. Very Cool.

#119 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:33 PM

Ghughes,

On the other hand,the upward shining light is a classic, textbook example of "light pollution". It is a fact that city dwellers are much less able to see the stars at night due to excess light refracting into the night skies, mainly from omnidirectional street lights, and from other sources such as excessive building illumination. Some people consider this a quality of life concern. I am all for a signature skyline, but does anyone else think that the Pier One project overdoes it just a little, well, OK, a whole lot! Think of the electric bill, and the fossil fuel used to generate it.

"The Devil made me say it"

Pup

#120 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:19 PM

The city put up the street signs around Pier One. Pier 1 Blvd is the new name.

#121 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:18 PM

I thought it was supposed to be Pier 1 Place. They must have been put up today because I drove down the street yesterday.

#122 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:10 PM

Pup:

You are right on with the light pollution issue. My take is that the focused light beam of Pier One is less of a problem than the omnidirectional lights you mention, but it's still a negative when one looks for the stars. I chalk it up to life in the big city, but it is a real issue. I guess I got caught up in the flashiness of it all.

As to the electrical side, the night-time around here is when only the most efficient power plants are running. The nasty units that run our peak air conditioning demands during the day are generally turned off when Pier One is at its glory.

#123 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

I don't think we should be worrying that much about light pollution downtown. I mean, it's downtown...do you honestly expect to see the stars there? At least (for now) Fort Worth's size allows you to not have to drive so far out to be able to see stars relatively clearly. I mean, I can see a TON of stars from my backyard, and I only live 10 miles from downtown.

I definately need to get a pic of Pier1 whenever it's overcast, or better yet, when it's foggy.

#124 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:16 AM

Oh, my. I don't know how to respond to the measurement "a ton of stars" as it seems so inadequate for the subject matter. Johnny, if you really want to view an incredible stellar nightscape, I strongly recommend that you vacation in the Trans-Pecos. Nothing remotely close to Fort Worth can prepare you for the experience.

#125 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:37 AM

Ah yes, I've been to West Texas many a time in my short lifespan so far (Fort Davis 3 times, Alpine twice, and the McDonald observatory 3 times as well). Indeed the amount of stars one can see out there is extraordinary. My reference to a ton of stars was more meant to say that you can see more stars than you'd expect to, being so close to the city and all.

#126 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:09 AM

Good! I'm glad you've had the experience of seeing the night skies out here. At least I understand that you have that perspection. From my own esperience, you used to be able to see all the stars of the Little Dipper within, but near, the 820 loop 25-30 years ago on a moonless night if you really struggled. I doubt that's the case now.

#127 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:01 AM

I thought it was supposed to be Pier 1 Place.  They must have been put up today because I drove down the street yesterday.

View Post

You are correct, I glanced at it to fast the other day, it is Pier 1 Pl

#128 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:36 PM

Several article in the FW Business Press on the Pier One Tower

SARAH MCCLELLAN 19.NOV.04

Pier 1 Imports will make its formal move this weekend into a $90 million corporate headquarters, pacing the expansion of Fort Worth's downtown district to a westward horizon along the Trinity River.
The opening celebration, including tours and demonstrations of a unique architectural lighting system, climaxes a year-and-a-half building process.
“It's even better than I'd imagined,” said Marvin Girouard, president and CEO of the home-décor retailer, as he settled into his offices at Pier 1 Place. “I don't believe anyone has ever had a view of the city from such an angle.”
Girouard's top-floor suite represents an unprecedented vantage for the downtown area's skyline, at an elevation well removed from the traditional boundaries of the central business district.
Friday's grand opening of the new building at Forest Park Boulevard and 5th Street dovetails with the end of the company's long-standing lease in the City Center II tower on Commerce Street.
The 440,000-square-foot Pier 1 Place, a 20-story, $90 million structure on a $10 million piece of land bought from Calvary Cathedral after the church's site was ravaged by a tornado in March 2000, has been a subject of excitement within the business community.
U.S. Rep. and former Fort Worth Mayor Kay Granger said the structure - in conjunction with a new RadioShack headquarters and an expansion in development by Tarrant County College - is important to the city's economy in terms of jobs and other growth that it will attract and encourage. Granger said she is especially pleased that the new building is on the Trinity River; the congresswoman has been a proponent of the Trinity River Vision, a plan to redirect and enhance parts of the river, ever since it was conceived three years ago.
“It says a lot about the quality of life [in Fort Worth] that [Pier 1] would build here when they have the choice of going anywhere,” Granger said. “When we started this [Trinity River Vision], I thought within 10 to 12 years we could have major development on the river, having no idea it would happen literally as we build it.”
Kenneth Barr, former mayor of Fort Worth, called Pier 1 Place a tremendous asset to the city's business community and skyline.
“I'm impressed with the quality of the structure and the landscaping - from the Travertine marble in the lobby to the eucalyptus paneling, it's very impressive,” Barr said. “Pier 1's really done it first-class.”
Barr, who was mayor when the company was awarded a tax-abatement and economic incentive deal that could be worth more than $12.7 million, said he takes a great deal of satisfaction in seeing the headquarters open.
“Pier 1 wanted to stay in the downtown area, but there was a significant cost in doing that when compared to going to a suburban-type campus,” Barr said. “I was very pleased that we were able to work out a financial arrangement that helped offset the extra cost of staying in downtown - it was really a win-win proposition. It'll pay dividends for their company and for our city for decades to come.”
The abatement deal is driven by the property taxes paid on the building. In exchange for the rebates, the company is required to meet hiring quotas of Fort Worth residents as well as city requirements of doing business with women- and minority-owned firms, said Peter Vaky, assistant city attorney.
The 20-year agreement required that Pier 1 spend at least $80 million on the building itself, with 25 percent of the construction costs spent with Fort Worth companies and 20 percent of the cost spent on certified minority- and women-owned companies.
Moreover, the company must employ at least 350 Fort Worth residents in full-time positions and 100 center-city residents in full-time positions, and spend at least $1 million per year with Fort Worth companies and $200,000 per year with certified minority- and women-owned companies. Based on how many of the requirements are met, the city will make annual economic development program grants to the company. These can add up to 90 percent of the property taxes it pays to the city each year.
Pier 1 Place houses almost 1,000 employees, whose efforts support more than 1,100 stores and 20,000 associates. Pier 1, in its 42nd year, has been headquartered in Fort Worth since 1966.

Michael H. Price contributed to this report.
Contact McClellan at smcclellan@bizpress.net.

#129 Xander Lee

Xander Lee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Urban Areas/Downtown, Skyscrapers, Roller Coasters, Amusement /Theme Parks, and History.

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image
(Pier One from the Bank One parking garage)

I'd give it a 10.
-Xander

North Crowley High School - Class of 2005
Six Flags Over Texas Ride Operations Manager 2003-2005

#130 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:45 PM

I'd give that picture a 10 as well!

Greast shot, and welcome to the forum.

#131 Xander Lee

Xander Lee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Urban Areas/Downtown, Skyscrapers, Roller Coasters, Amusement /Theme Parks, and History.

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:49 PM

I'm going to have to head back up there and take extra batteries. My batteries were dying as I took the shot and I didnt get a chance to take it again and try to center the building better.

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking for about two years now and I figured it was finally time for a post or two :)
-Xander

#132 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:27 PM

Welcome to the forum! That is an excellent photograph.

#133 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:07 AM

Yes, I too agree that's gotta be a solid 10. What camera/lens did you use to take that great image ??

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#134 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:13 PM

Great to see another young person involved in the forum.

#135 Xander Lee

Xander Lee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:17 PM

Yes, I too agree that's gotta be a solid 10.  What camera/lens did you use to take that great image ??

Dave

View Post

Actually, I just used my Fuji S-3000 Digital. Its only 3.2 MP, but it is one of the highest quality 3.2 MP cameras I've ever owned. I've been rather impressed by it.
-Xander

#136 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

I see nobody ever posted a pic of the light shaft coming from Pier 1, so here's mine:

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#137 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

I just heard they are moving some of their IT functions out of the building to make room for leaseable space.

They are hoping to capitalize on the Class A Space thrirst

#138 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:23 PM

If you believe the business reports, they could use the money.

#139 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 13 2006, 02:23 PM) View Post

Pier One may be exploring sale options-Star-Telegram
By HEATHER LANDY
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Fort Worth-The Fort Worth-based company has hired investment bankers to help the retailer in "evaluating strategic alternatives" — a Wall Street catch phrase that typically means the company will entertain takeover bids...
GO FROGS!!!

#140 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(TCUTrumpetGuy @ May 4 2006, 03:33 PM) View Post

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 13 2006, 02:23 PM) View Post

Pier One may be exploring sale options-Star-Telegram
By HEATHER LANDY
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Fort Worth-The Fort Worth-based company has hired investment bankers to help the retailer in "evaluating strategic alternatives" — a Wall Street catch phrase that typically means the company will entertain takeover bids...

So sad but most of us saw this coming. More bad news for Pier one today. More loss. sad.gif

#141 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:15 AM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has reported that the upward aiming lights on the crown of Pier 1 Place have been turned off to save energy.

#142 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jun 18 2007, 05:15 AM) View Post

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has reported that the upward aiming lights on the crown of Pier 1 Place have been turned off to save energy.

dry.gif

--

Kara B.

#143 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jun 18 2007, 05:15 AM) View Post

Save energy or to save MONEY?? I'm going with saving M-O-N-E-Y. I expect P1 to follow RadioShack's lead and eventually start leasing out office space.

#144 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

What a shame. Anyway to find out how much it cost to operate?

#145 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

I should have typed in "money". They pulled the plug to cut costs on operating the building. The article in the Star-Telegram specifically stated that. This is what I get when trying to post early in the morning before I've had my daily dose of caffeine.

#146 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

Myself and many others in this forum said from day one it was a waste.

#147 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Jun 18 2007, 11:40 AM) View Post

I couldn't disagree more. Adding a signature attribute to a skyline can be invalueable for a company and for the city. One thing that bothers me about Ft Worth is the lack of truly discernable skyline features. While it wasnt a real structure, the beam of light was prominent and unique. Of course I can't say it was a waste of money when I don't know how much it cost, but I assume it is far less than other corporate branding, such as stadiums.

The Prudential in Boston and the Sears Tower in Chicago...classical examples of promoting your presence as well as becoming a part of the fiber of the area.

#148 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Jun 18 2007, 11:40 AM) View Post

A glorious waste. I loved it. The building looks dead at night now.

--

Kara B.

#149 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jun 18 2007, 11:58 AM) View Post

[A glorious waste. I loved it. The building looks dead at night now.

Maybe, I'm confused about what is being turned off. Is it just the beams that shot upward, or is the entire crown no longer illuminated??

#150 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Jun 18 2007, 12:31 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jun 18 2007, 11:58 AM) View Post

[A glorious waste. I loved it. The building looks dead at night now.

Maybe, I'm confused about what is being turned off. Is it just the beams that shot upward, or is the entire crown no longer illuminated??

The whole thing has been turned off lately when I've gone by it - the crown and the sides. I think the crown lighting and the beam are one and the same.

--

Kara B.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Upper West Side, Chesapeake Energy, Pier One, Modern Architecture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users