Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Paradox Church (former Worth Residences site)

Downtown

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#101 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:58 AM

Judging from your pics from last weekend, there's a lot of work that has to happen in a month.

I understand the church's position of not wanting to keep renting a space while trying to pay for a new building, but doing a "rush job" in construction is typically a bad idea.  If too many corners are cut in the process, it can be a bigger nightmare going back and fixing things later than just doing things right the first time (D.I.R.T.F.T.).  Without a C.O. (Certificate of Occupancy) they won't be able to have services.  Functionally, I would think the church needs to be pretty well complete except maybe some offices in order to host services.  HVAC needs to be working, children's space needs to be ready and secured, bathrooms need to be ready, handicap parking needs to be ready.  They also still need to do their ADA inspection and make sure elevators are working, sidewalks are actually poured, bathroom partitions are in, exit signs installed, etc, etc, as well as life safety systems working plus downtown you're really going to want to make sure security cameras are functioning too. 

I would think there's an element of functional testing involved too....things like making sure flushing toilets continuously in a short period of time that the plumbing can keep up, testing the sound system to make sure the amps don't trip breakers for show power, making sure the HVAC system is tested and balanced, things like that.  I feel bad for this GC, that's a ton of pressure and they've been moving pretty quickly from the looks of it.  The thing with most church projects is they usually run out of money but they still expect miracles when it comes to getting things done on an unusually aggressive schedule.

#102 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:58 AM

I noticed a new monument sign permit filed for Paradox church.  This sounds like a different / new sign vs the changes to the old sign on the other side of the church.  Wouldn't this sign need to go in front of the DDRB in February unless it was included in the original DDRB review of the church?

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Project Description:
PARADOX CHURCH MONUMENT SIGN
Install Monument Sign for 900 W Belknap Street. Sign consist of masonry wall and cast stone sign.

#103 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 09:47 PM

Here's some Paradox Church updates from this afternoon.  Looks like they still have a ways to go.  

TH4paCp.jpg

BRdX5MO.jpg

iXyFLYH.jpg

5PRtgaO.jpg

yi4KSm1.jpg

UyfolBd.jpg

cryrjW3.jpg

HrX4hhF.jpg

ZKpJ054.jpg

#104 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 December 2022 - 10:27 PM

It is starting to look nice.  It also appears that you had a nice day to be out shooting photographs.

#105 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 11:18 PM

Indeed, I had nice clear blue skies and sun to snap a few quick shots today. I was actually on my way out to check for pipe bursts at some property west of town. Got there and found that the rural water provider was completely out of commission so no one in the area had running water. I bet it wont be back on until Monday since none of the distributors for pumps and well accessories are open. That certainly puts a damper on some peoples Christmas but it appears we have a warming trend through next week. Was not a completely wasted trip as I tried to start the truck out there to run it up to temperature but found the battery I replaced in January was already dead. I pulled it and brought it back with me to either trickle charge or see if theyll replace it under warranty.

#106 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 09:19 AM

I like this west facing facade but I wish they would have opened up the windows as a feature to capture the afternoon light. I know some more contemporary churches want some control of daylight entering the worship space.

yi4KSm1.jpg

#107 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 05:35 PM

What architectural style would you say this represents; Pre-Fab Romanesque?

#108 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 07:17 PM

What architectural style would you say this represents; Pre-Fab Romanesque?

Frank Lloyd Wrong

(Just kidding, I actually like this church design but I think the placement would be more appropriate for a larger site. I would have used every square inch of the site as allowed in an urban design and included vertical expansion as demand dictates. Or would have started with the parking structure next door, possibly leased some of it out to recoup costs and then worked on the church.)

#109 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 08:03 AM

I like this west facing facade but I wish they would have opened up the windows as a feature to capture the afternoon light. I know some more contemporary churches want some control of daylight entering the worship space.

Hopefully someone from the forum can get an architectural tour next year to take pictures of the afternoon light coming through those windows. They look small from the outside but the effect inside could still be striking, depending on how they arranged the space.

#110 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 09:58 AM

It appears acoustical panels are covering the view of that back wall. Maybe that curtain can be opened?

0gXsJaK.jpg

XI7Gb5P.jpg

#111 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 07:23 PM

Took this an hour ago.  Wondering if exterior architectural lighting is included in the design?  I think this light-colored façade lends itself to some white light or if that's not in the budget.  It's usually the first thing to go when overbudget.

yf42rkQ.jpg

Also,

I thought a cross on top of the steeple would look nice.  See Christ Chapel for an example.  I took this photo a while back but is also a good example of how exterior architectural lighting really helps enhance the building at night:

F1OzygD.jpg

#112 JimTPC

JimTPC

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:16 PM

Hey yall, been following these forums for years, appreciate your contribution to FW. We cared deeply about our building being a blessing (architecturally) to the city. Would be glad to give someone a tour when its done.

Yes there will be exterior lights and were adding a cross now. Also changing the front doors.

#113 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:59 PM

Welcome to the Forum.  We would love to have a tour when the building is finished. 

#114 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:56 AM

Hey yall, been following these forums for years, appreciate your contribution to FW. We cared deeply about our building being a blessing (architecturally) to the city. Would be glad to give someone a tour when its done.

Yes there will be exterior lights and were adding a cross now. Also changing the front doors.

JimTPC, welcome to the forum and thanks for the invite.  As you probably noticed, we have some lively discussions here but the one thing we usually agree on is we love Fort Worth.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

#115 JimTPC

JimTPC

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 09:18 AM

JimTPC, welcome to the forum and thanks for the invite.  As you probably noticed, we have some lively discussions here but the one thing we usually agree on is we love Fort Worth.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I love it. I moved here from Detroit 14 years ago and have been committed to Fort Worth and it's cultural growth/development since. I want a great city and geek out on city planning, urban development, local politics, etc. Ya'll won't/haven't offended me ;)

#116 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:57 PM

I love it. I moved here from Detroit 14 years ago and have been committed to Fort Worth and it's cultural growth/development since. I want a great city and geek out on city planning, urban development, local politics, etc. Ya'll won't/haven't offended me ;)

I noticed yesterday when i drove by that they entrance sign and stairway was being constructed at the corner of Henderson and Belknap.  It looked really nice and I was going to post a comment about it on here today.   I also love the way the sign that was on the lot north of the building was repurposed.  Really great job.

Count me in for a tour when it is complete.

#117 JimTPC

JimTPC

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 01:34 PM

I noticed yesterday when i drove by that they entrance sign and stairway was being constructed at the corner of Henderson and Belknap.  It looked really nice and I was going to post a comment about it on here today.   I also love the way the sign that was on the lot north of the building was repurposed.  Really great job.

Thanks! Our architect has been fantastic. The repurposed sign was the idea of someone on our staff and not originally a part of the project...so glad we did it though. Re: tour...I hesitate just because there will be a few things not done (decorative lighting, 3rd floor build out, new front doors) for awhile...but obviously would love to have you out whenever...certainly on a Sunday ha.

#118 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 02:32 PM

Thanks! Our architect has been fantastic. The repurposed sign was the idea of someone on our staff and not originally a part of the project...so glad we did it though. Re: tour...I hesitate just because there will be a few things not done (decorative lighting, 3rd floor build out, new front doors) for awhile...but obviously would love to have you out whenever...certainly on a Sunday ha.

Mr. Martsolf has done some fantastic church projects, so thank you for picking someone local and talented. 

I was thinking about rriojas71's window tint phenomenon comment / Four Sister's Restaurant on the Southside.  My thought was being able to see the people inside the church fellowship areas would be a (passive) way to invite passersby to come check out what's happening during events and services.  With the restaurants conversation, he had mentioned that if the windows are too highly reflective you sort of wonder if anyone is inside.  It appears in this photo that the windows allow some visibility into the building at street level and will likely be more visible at night time when the lights are on inside.  If hundreds of people pouring into the front door isn't obvious enough, you could always hang an "Open" sign in the front window just in case there's some confusion. (ignore my attempt at being funny)  The cool parking lot sign will help too. 

How's the parking situation?  I recall mention of possibly renting the TCC garage across the way or maybe panther island parking lot and shuttling in congregants.  There's a congregation near Downtown Dallas facing a similar challenge doing a building fundraising project on top tackling a parking project.  I heard they are busting at the seams and are planning to build a parking structure next door to where the church is moving to (renovating a space).  

iXyFLYH.jpg

#119 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 03:38 PM

I have some update photos I need to get off my DSLR but heres a couple from my phone:

G1yIrz4.jpg

2fi5lwz.jpg

VGVb5bB.jpg

Monument Sign:
biAfsn4.jpg

#120 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:51 PM

Here's a few more Paradox construction updates:

AbKEeE0.jpg

eIRsnNK.jpg

pVgJdUS.png

lzTDfa5.jpg

nj6BBFq.jpg

lUzz2Za.jpg

NlEubdI.jpg

KV7UDBi.jpg

TzedlTF.jpg

Sidewalk is all torn up:

eOeIeid.jpg

thkoVXa.jpg

9rSjs3y.jpg

qp5vQbo.jpg

kBdrtDQ.jpg

#121 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 09:37 PM

Construction update this evening 2/22/23:

IA7Zhzl.jpg

lHi85sK.jpg

#122 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 12:59 PM

Here's a construction drive-by update I did on Sunday 3/12/23.  I noticed the cross is on the steeple, exterior lighting mostly installed from what I can see, front sidewalk is in along Henderson, W Bluff St is open, parking lot appears mostly done, sitework still underway and some landscaping left to be done.

Xy2ZBWW.jpg

yqrHD33.jpg

GuPZ9Nx.jpg

6RCkJXK.jpg

And I found a few very cool interior shots the Owner posted on their FB page 2/24/23.  Hope they don't mind me re-sharing them here, if so, I can delete.  Once the lighting is done inside, this is going to be one photogenic building, lots of natural light and nice contrasting colors.  I like the exposed to structure blacked out ceiling in some of the areas too, sort of a nice touch.

wE4Z6N7.jpg

Ed9GAJZ.jpg

N8HDYrQ.jpg

77gjIEB.jpg

ZknZ0jp.jpg

TSW06Fw.jpg

u95kw35.jpg

#123 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:26 PM

When I first saw the renderings, I thought the tower/steeple looked really good. 

Now that its nearly complete, unfortunately it appears to have a scale problem. 

I don't mean to be that guy who Monday AM quarterback's others' work, but think its appropriate here on the Architectural Forum and is in the spirit of doing better in the future.

Elements that seem off:

Paradox Church's steeple proportions:  the height and width of the belfry and lantern seem to really want a taller spire than the one that has been built.  Perhaps this was a cost-cutting measure.  Can't put my finger on it but the fenestrations also seem out of harmony with the overall dimensions.  I expect someone more knowledgeable about classical ratios than I am could probably articulate how it does/doesn't conform with them and therefore why my eyes are detecting that a few things are a bit off.  Couldn't find article quickly enough on golden ratio applied to church steeples to post here.

The steeple part of Christ Chapel (same architect) appears to get the proportions right.  The overall buildings at CC, however, are hulking masses that appear to be essentially theaters wrapped in an ecclesiastic architectural "theme", all set behind massive fields of concrete and asphalt. (two different issues identified there: setback and massing)

Back to Paradox design:

- The relatively simple, standing seam metal roof on the church. 

- The pale buff colored bricks.  Should age well.

So-so:

- Roof color:  Would look better (IMO) and reduce energy consumption with even a slightly lighter color metal (medium gray to matte silver range).  Just seems like generally a bad idea to install black roofs in Texas given climate.  Sure, one can overcome a black roof by increasing insulation beneath but lets be honest, do people really increase their insulation budget so they can have a black roof vs lighter?

- Window color:  Black contrasts a bit much with pale facade so I wish the windows could have been slightly lighter in color.  Understand that is likely to lower energy use (which makes it a worthwhile trade). 

Golden Ratio: https://en.wikipedia...he_golden_ratio

Interesting Wikipedia page on church architecture over time:  https://en.wikipedia..._great_churches

#124 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:54 PM

Urbndwlr, I dont have anything specific to add but that the muted style sort of fits a contemporary church with hints of traditional liturgy. Its a bit of a throwback style with a hat tip to more traditional churches without any real embellishments. I think some of those design choices were dictated by somewhat conservative budget constraints as well as the necessity to get into their own facility rather than couch-surfing.

Coincidentally, they are having their first services in the new building this Sunday 3/26 at 9am and 11am. The parking situation appears to be a few small lots nearby with street parking and reference to the public lot at Panther Island which becomes a paid lot during events like Ubbi Dubbi on 4/23.

https://www.theparad...rch.com/belknap

HKnGKqN.jpg

#125 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 08:25 PM

Construction update:

gt3yfQ9.jpg

Nvnq8V7.jpg

dpkOrjW.jpg

#126 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 07:48 AM

It really looks nice.  I wonder how the lighting looks at night when it is closer to dusk.

#127 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 09:37 PM

gQHiH12.jpg

#128 JimTPC

JimTPC

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 04:05 PM

Some good pics on my instagram (I couldn't figure out how to upload here)...come visit whenever!

https://www.instagra.../p/Ct_sd29LvGT/

#129 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:22 AM

Great photos and lovely facility! Congrats, Jim. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users