#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:09 PM

Maintaining this wonderful historic cattle baron's mansion at 1509 Pennsylvania has gone beyond the revenue generating ability of the non-profit that owns it. After two years of investigating other alternatives the Board of Directors of Texas Heritage, Inc. is now offering the property as a gift to an individual, company, or organization if they will agree to make the needed $2 Million of improvements. The propery can be used as the new owner wishes, as long as it is in a historically respectful manner. The details of the proposal are available by calling Lee Rogers at (817) 877-1773 or Don Scott at (817) 923-1649. More information is provided on Thistle Hill's web site at http://www.thistlehi...rg/spevents.HTM

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

:( I'm, sorry, I think that's just a terrible idea. However, at the same time, I will certainly mention it to some people I think might be interested.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

They had a story on Channel 4 News this evening and the reporter stated that another option would be to give a $2 Million donation and then Texas Heritage would keep the house for the short term.

#4 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

A lengthy article from today's Star-Telegram:

Fixer-upper FOR FREE*

*If you'll make costly repairs to historic mansion

By Chris Vaughn

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - Just outside the gates of Thistle Hill are a dollar store and a gas station. Within earshot of the mansion's second-floor landing are an eight-lane freeway and a trauma-hospital helipad.

Once upon a time, Summit Avenue was far more majestic, a "silk stocking row" of magnificent houses with vast master bedrooms, indoor plumbing and sweeping staircases.

At the south end of the row sat Thistle Hill, a Colonial Revival showpiece built by cattle baron W.T. Waggoner in 1903 so his newlywed daughter, Electra, wouldn't run off east with her husband.

But eras come and go, and Thistle Hill's latest is about to become history.

The board of directors of the mansion, which for almost 30 years has been a museum and matrimonial favorite, voted reluctantly this week to try to unload the property -- for free.

"It's been painful for us," said Don Scott, the past board chairman of Texas Heritage, which owns Thistle Hill. "We tried so hard to make it work. We're still struggling with our decision."

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and valued at $2.3 million by the Tarrant Appraisal District, Thistle Hill is one of two cattle-baron mansions in Fort Worth painstakingly restored and available for tours.

The Ball-Eddleman-McFarland House, farther north and off Summit, is the other.

But the Texas Heritage board decided that the 11,231-square-foot house and 1.5-acre property need better preserving and that a new owner may be the only way.

"The goal is to preserve the house," said Ray Boothe, a historical preservationist and former board chairman. "Public access is an asset to the city, but it brings in a very minimal amount of economic support."

The needs of Thistle Hill are many -- repairs to the red-brick wall that encloses the property, exterior lighting, repainting, and an elevator and wheelchair-accessible restroom to comply with federal law.

More significantly, the third floor has never been restored and lacks heating and air conditioning. And the carriage house, where the horse stables look as they did a century ago, desperately needs attention.

Add it up: The property needs $1.7 million worth of work.

Compare that with what Winfield and Elizabeth Scott paid for the house in 1911 -- $90,000, plus an equal amount for remodeling. It stayed in the Scott family until Elizabeth's death in 1938.

The Girls Service League bought Thistle Hill in 1940 and used it for 28 years as a home for young women.

The house then sat empty and came within days of being torn down. But a group mounted a Save the Scott Home campaign and purchased the house for $240,000 in 1976.

By then, almost none of the original Summit Avenue mansions were left.

"They were just beautiful," said Betty Ambrose, a longtime resident who got involved in the campaign and later served on the board. "When they took them down, it didn't seem to affect me. It wasn't until later that I realized what had happened."

The first couple married at Thistle Hill were Ray Boothe and Genell Franek.

On July 4, 1976, Bicentennial Day, Boothe wore a white tuxedo with bell-bottoms, and Franek wore her grandmother's wedding dress. The mansion was practically falling down around them.

Years later, Boothe joined the board, eventually serving as chairman. During his tenure, $400,000 was raised for an endowment.

"But it's not nearly enough," he said. "Most people think it was saved 25 years ago, all the work is done and they don't have to worry about it anymore.

"It still looks good, but if you look at the details -- the paint, the mortar, the windows -- it's kind of crumbling in front of us."

As a museum, Thistle Hill has recently operated at a deficit. The endowment is routinely tapped to cover deficits and emergency repairs, including $30,000 last month for a new chiller for the air conditioner.

"It has always been a struggle to cover our operational expenses every year, let alone have enough money to address maintenance," said Bonnie Schuler, executive director of the museum.

The museum brought in $159,500 in 2004, most of it through about 120 wedding rentals, 2,000 admission charges for tours, and a few dozen memberships and gifts.

The largest donation last year, $2,500, came from the E. Paul and Helen Buck Waggoner Foundation.

But expenses exceeded $194,000, including $22,000 for insurance, $24,000 for utilities and $90,000 for the payroll.

In 2003, the board looked for wealthy people who might help build the endowment. The board also talked to officials from the city, Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce, Fort Worth Convention & Visitors Bureau, Tarrant County Bar Association and the hospitals about taking the property.

None of it worked, said Don Scott, so the Texas Heritage board's quiet discussions have now gone public.

"House museums around the country cannot make enough money to sustain themselves," Scott said. "Thistle Hill is no different. Here, there just hasn't been a large community support group."

The board will give the house to a nonprofit, business or individual willing to spend the $1.7 million on maintenance and improvement within two years and agreeing not to significantly alter the exterior or front lawn.

"The board is also predisposed to have someone leave at least some portion of the house open to the public for weddings or tours," Scott said.

If no one will take the house under those conditions, "we'd put it on the market and sell it," he said.

Schuler, who joined the museum in 1998, can hardly entertain the idea, however necessary it might be.

"This house grows on you," she said.

Thistle Hill: Group seeks better financial foundation for historic house Thistle Hill through the years

1903: Cattleman W.T. Waggoner commissions Sanguinet and Staats to build Thistle Hill for daughter Electra Waggoner Wharton and her husband, Albert B. Wharton Jr. The 18-room house supposedly costs $38,000.

1910: The Whartons move to their new ranch near Vernon.

1911: Elizabeth and Winfield Scott buy the house for $90,000 and hire Sanguinet and Staats to remodel it. Limestone columns and a small wrought-iron balcony replace the original wooden columns and balustrade on the facade. Winfield Scott dies before the work is complete.

1912: Elizabeth Scott and son Winfield Scott Jr. move in.

1938: Elizabeth Scott dies.

1940: Winfield Scott Jr. sells the house for $17,500 to Marvin Leonard, who gives it to the Girls Service League, which repays him later.

1968: The league moves out and puts the house up for sale. It has major structural problems and needs modernization.

1969: The Junior League of Fort Worth starts a historical-education program to raise community awareness of remaining landmark buildings, including the Winfield Scott Home, as it is known.

1974: The Save the Scott Home committee organizes fund-raisers to try to buy the house.

1975: In April, the house is selected for the National Register of Historic Places. On April 23, the committee signs a contract to buy the house for $325,000. In July, it opens for tours; tickets cost $1.50. It's also available for events such as weddings and club meetings. The group does not meet the contract deadline, but negotiations continue.

July 1976: A price of $240,000 is agreed on, and Save the Scott Home buys the house from the Girls Service League with $180,000 that it's raised and a $60,000 loan from an anonymous donor. The committee incorporates as Texas Heritage and announces that the house will go by its original name, Thistle Hill. It becomes the first City of Fort Worth Landmark.

1983: In a Nov. 11 article about the difficulty of raising money for restoration, Carla Hoskins, a former director of Texas Heritage, suggests that some people remember that when Winfield Scott Jr. lived there, his dissolute habits ruined the house and landed him in prison. "A lot of important people did not approve of Winfield Scott's lifestyle and didn't want to immortalize it by saving his home," she writes.

1995: On May 5, hail destroys the tile roof. It is later replaced.

1997: Thistle Hill is one of four cattle-baron mansions featured on A&E's America's Castles.

2005: The board of Texas Heritage, still strapped for cash, votes to give the property to an appropriate owner.

SOURCES: Fort Worth's Legendary Landmarks, text by Carol Roark; www.thistlehill.org; and Star-Telegram archives

-- Compiled by news researcher Jodie Sanders

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:48 PM

Tours run $10 for adults. Weddings run from $1100 to 1600 on weekends. If they ran through that many people for tourists, did that many weddings, and still only brought in less than $160k, they must be heavily discounting either admission or rentals heavily in order to bring in business. They obviously need to work on how they're selling the place.

#6 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:15 PM

I don't know, but it seems that volunteers could be found who would do a lot of the work for free or at a greatly reduced rate, rather than ask donors for enough money to pay full value for services.
It would be a shame to sell it.

#7 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:47 AM

It's a shame, but sometimes you have to let go of the past.

#8 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:48 AM

I never made the connection before: Is Don Scott a descendant of Winfield Scott?

#9 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

I was thinking that Thistle Hill would make a great place for a 5-star restaurant along the lines of the Mansion on Turtle Creek.

Where's Grady Spears when you need him?

#10 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

I was thinking that Thistle Hill would make a great place for a 5-star restaurant along the lines of the Mansion on Turtle Creek.

View Post

That would be nice! What about a small 5-star hotel?

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:12 AM

I never made the connection before: Is Don Scott a descendant of Winfield Scott?

View Post

No. I don't think so. Don Scott came to run Fort Worth South from Philadelphia, so I doubt there is any family relationship.

#12 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:54 PM

John, I beg to differ with you, but I am almost positive that Don is a retired BNSF exec. He may have come from PA, but not to run FWS.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:36 PM

Redhead, you are probably right. He did tell me that he worked for BNSF. I probably misunderstood that he came to Fort Worth to run FWS, but in reality, he was probably already here working for BNSF.

#14 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

You would think that, as an original cattle baron's mansion, that Sundance square, the Stockyards, and the Cattle Raiser's Association would want to help, and maybe even run tourist trolleys to Thistle Hill.
I doubt it could make it as a Bed & Breakfast or restaurant without outside sponsors. With correct cross marketing, it could be a 'not to miss' addition to the Ol' West Tourism scheme.

#15 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

You would think that, as an original cattle baron's mansion, that Sundance square, the Stockyards, and the Cattle Raiser's Association would want to help, and maybe even run tourist trolleys to Thistle Hill.
I doubt it could make it as a Bed & Breakfast or restaurant without outside sponsors. With correct cross marketing, it could be a 'not to miss' addition to the Ol' West Tourism scheme.

View Post

Hipolyte,

I think you have something there! Cant you see a GREAT tie-in with the Stockyards and a "path of history" thru the revitilised Lancaster Ave corridor, with possibly a mass-transit angle involved.

Bryan
Paschal Class of 1976

#16 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:47 PM

I have always felt there should be more cooperation in the tourism approach within the city. Thistle Hill shows another angle of the same story that is often overlooked because the connection is not made obvious.
Every tourist that visits the Stockyards and Sundance Square, the Cattleraiser's Association, or even the Stockshow, should feel that they havn't seen it all until they have seen Thistle Hill.
Then again, the house itself could emphasize the Cattle Baron angle with more historical displays showing where the original builder's wealth came from.
But it's probably too late now.

#17 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:44 AM

OK, this is killing me. ;) I stood on the street corner and collected $$ to Save the Scott home way back when. I've been racking my brain about how to "save" my house again! Anyone have ideas for a quick fundraiser to raise a couple of mil? :devil: I can get belly dancers, probably a band, maybe have a silent auction or something? I've never done anything like this and am very open for suggestions. Anyone interested?

#18 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:43 PM

My best guess is that it will actually become "home" for a law firm. You need someone with loose cash and an appreciation for prestige. Smells like a low firm to me. Look at all the firms that have converted older homes in that area into offices already.

#19 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:15 PM

I would love to help in a fundraiser, but am not hopeful. The power donors around here have already pretty much ignored the house, which is how we got to this point.
The real problem is the economy is not conducive to donations, which leads to Kera's layoffs, local theater troupe's losing their buildings, no Shakespeare in the Park, etc., etc.
As long as the house is seen as an unnecessary luxury, rather than an important cog in the local tourism scene, it will be subject to the vagaries of donor's pocketbooks.
The economic downturn can't last forever, though, and I'm disappointed that the board is so unmotivated that they can't 'ride it out'.
For instance, as I understand it, the $90,000. payroll is the real budget buster. Moving temporarily to a largely volunteer staff would have put the house in the black for this year.
Volunteers could probably be found that would take care of at least some of the maintenance. Piggybacking on some of the advertising that the major local venues already produce might be arranged (already mentioned), and so forth.
It would take imagination and creativity (apparently lacking) to make a success of Thistle Hill in a downturn like this. And I don't blame just the management.....city leaders and civic organizations, anyone interested in the history of Fort Worth should step up.
If anybody wanted to get together for a brainstorming session, I would be happy to participate.
But I have to agree about the law firm.
:devil:

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

I am a little surprised that no civic organization has stepped forward. I'm also a little surprised that the issue hasn't raised as much concern as I thought it would. I agree that some interested city leaders, organizations, and anyone interested in our history should step forward. However, I personally feel that the requirements set forth by their board may preclude any preservation minded organization from attempting to receive the house as a gift. That's sad, but probably the reality of the situation. Another sad aspect of the dilemma is that if a law firm does take the home, then it will be technically out of the public realm. Sure, the clients, or at best potential ones, of this law firm would be able to see the home, but that is a very limited audience. If the house becomes an "office" of a professional, then very few people will ever get a chance to see the beautiful interior. Even though this is not the best situation, I could certain think of one that would be even more tragic. (but doubtful)

#21 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:57 AM

A car tunnel passing through to a CVS?

#22 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hipolyte - I would absolutely be willing to brainstorm if we can do some good. I have lots of ideas, no clue about feasibility or success. Certainly don't know the first thing about legitimate fundraising. I have no problem trying, tho, if it would work. Maybe I'm a little naive, but does anyone else think that if we started a "common folk" grassroots movement, others with more $$ might jump in?

#23 SouthSideAllan2000

SouthSideAllan2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

Hi all :swg:

Long time reader, first time poster. I would hate to see access to this beautiful house limited, or worst the house be demolished. A law firm would surely save the house as evident at the Reeves-Walker House, but I don't see it having the public access that it has now. I remember back in the late 80's or early 90's taking a trip with the rest of my Lily B. classmates and teachers to Thistle Hill to see Santa. I'd never seen a house like that and knowing how vivid my memory of that visit is reminds me how, if something were to happen to it, many people would miss the opportunity to be impresses by it like I was. I would be willing to help in any effort to save it.

Allan

Paschal Class of 2000

#24 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

Well that's three with an interest. It's a start. Would either of you guys happen to be multimillionaires? Or know any?

#25 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

Unfortunately I'm not one, but I know one. However, have already hit him up and he's not interested. All I have is enthusiasm. BTW I did email HGTV's Restore America about it, and have so far only gotten an automated response that they got my email. Don't know when or if I'll hear from them otherwise. So, I'm still trying to come up with the million $$ idea!!!!

#26 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:08 AM

I spoke with someone who is familiar with the current management, who holds out little hope. Based on their apparent willingness to abdicate responsibility, and overlook the huge grass roots efforts of the past to preserve the house, I also tend toward despair.
I think we could do it.....I'm just not sure there will be time.

But that does not mean we should not try. I'll be talking to some people soon, and I'm still up for a meeting on the subject.

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:00 AM

You can count me in, as well. Remember, I'm just a poor architect. I don't have a lot of money to put into this.

Hipolyte, I'm with you on the despair list. I have been involved in other means, and it doesn't look good for any person, group, or organization to take this house unless they have the $2 million in liquid cash.

#28 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

And if no one shows up with the 2 mil? What will they do? Have it bulldozed? Or step up to their responsibilities? Or at least resign and let someone else take their place?:P

#29 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:48 PM

well, if Fort Worth can't get it done maybe someone from Dallas will buy it.

#30 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:46 PM

All you have to do is let me know when/how we all want to cuss and discuss this. We won't know til we try.

#31 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:30 AM

Just checking - haven't heard any more from anyone. :) Are we still interested? Have y'all found a donor? Any more info?

#32 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

I have an appointment with a client tomorrow, and will bring it up. However, even if they're not interested, I still am interested in a grass roots fundraising movement. not a clue how to start one, though.

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:17 PM

One big problem here. The proposals are due on Monday. There is not very much time for a grass roots effort.

#34 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:16 AM

But, John, you don't think that is the deadline for all of it, do you? I mean, isn't that for renovation proposals? If we organized a grassroots campaign that was moving forward, I don't think they would turn us down just because it was past 2/28, would they? Because realistically they haven't given any one much time between the initial announcement and now. I'm still a go. I'll be interested to see if Hipolyte's client is interested. As far as organizing a group, I've been wondering about that, too. I'm sure we can find someone to help - maybe someone in the Preservation group?

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:55 AM

You are not required to have the $2 Million up front, but the Board of Directors of Thistle Hill have put out a Request for Proposal, and it must be answered. I'm going to provide a link to that RFP on their website for those seeking more information.

http://www.thistlehi...rg/spevents.HTM

As for other groups and organizations being interested, I think you will learn that several "preservation minded" parties will be submitting proposals.

#36 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

My client was interested in the details, but 'not interested' in getting involved with that scene as billed.

#37 silvertooth

silvertooth

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:08 AM

My client was interested in the details, but 'not interested' in getting involved with that scene as billed.

View Post

#38 silvertooth

silvertooth

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:26 AM

My name is Carla (Hoskins) McDonald. I was an original member of the Save The Scott Home organization, and was Executive Director at Thistle Hill from 1977 to 1983. I was appalled to begin receiving letters and newspaper clippings concerning the 'plight' of Thistle Hill. I now live in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana. Am I going to have to come down there? (Picture hands on hips and a terrible scowl.) A $90,000 administrative budget? $10 Tours? This house was saved, not by big money, but by the donations of hundreds of everyday citizens who wanted to see it stay as part of their heritage. They donated dollars, not thousands of dollars, and were proud to show it to their friends and relatives as an accomplishment to be proud of. I could not believe the budget. Just amazing. Has anyone talked to the National Register, and/or the Texas Historical Commission? This project was in receipt of Federal, Local, and State funds, and therefore, cannot be handled in a willy-nilly manner. There are rules to be followed. I have not yet found the original letter of intent, but I know that we signed a document that had the words "in perpetuity" in it, and that does not mean giving it away, much less giving up. Perhaps if the outlandish prices were lowered so that the people that saved it could actually use it occasionally, things might be different. I would appreciate it if someone would keep me informed on the progress of this disaster.
Thank you.

#39 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:35 PM

Carla (silvertooth) - I am so happy to hear from someone involved at the very beginning. I remember this being a "real people" venture, not big $$. I have tried to generate some interest in starting a grassroots campaign again and while there is some interest, I can't seem to get any further. I will admit I have absolutely no clue as to how to start something like this, so if you want to come down here and show us (even with hands on hips) I'd love it :blink: . My thinking was that if we could start with common folk, the bigger folk would follow. It breaks my heart to think of the possibilities that might happen. In all seriousness, I really am ready to put forth any effort to help, but unfortuntely, I'm one of the common folk without much $$, so it would have to be mostly effort <_< .

#40 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:33 AM

I was not involved in the original effort, but would happily get involved today. But everyone I ahve talked to seems to feel it is not worth the effort it would take to work with the current management of the house (the same people who have precipitated the disaster).
It's not the house, or even the $2 mil.
The $2 million figure is just representative of the skewed thinking on the board.

#41 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:57 AM

View Post

The last I heard, Grady was running a restaraunt in Granbury... I can't remember the name of the place, but it's "the famous" restaraunt in Granbury... BTW, Grady went to AHHS... He was in the class of '85 or '86, just ahead of me...

#42 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:50 PM

off the original topic, but---Grady is no longer with the Nutt House. Partnership went south and I don't know where he has surfaced. It all happened right after the Marrriott booted him from the Chisolm Club. Too bad, because he has a lot of creative talent.

#43 silvertooth

silvertooth

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

Thank you for your replies. The comment about the Board is interesting, as I dealt with that Board, or one like it, for many years. Could someone get me the list of the Board members? I talked today to the National Register office, and to the Texas Historical Commission, neither of which had been contacted by anyone concerning Thistle Hill. There are, indeed, requirements for those involved with a Texas Historical property, including 60 day notification of changes, and a hefty $1000 fine for each day of violation. I have several other numbers that I would like to call and seek information. Has anyone talked to Jeri Tracey (sp?) of Historic Fort Worth, or to Julie Lawless of the City?
Carla

#44 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:55 PM

Historic Fort Worth is no longer a mainstream preservationist group.

Too bad. We could sure use its help.

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

Buck, not everyone knows what Historic Fort Worth is doing. Why do you think you know? Why do you say they are no longer a mainstream preservation group? You may not realize it, but the organization is doing more than you think. There are 33 members on the Board of Directors.

Edited by John T Roberts, 08 April 2005 - 06:52 AM.

#46 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:19 AM

I have talked with Jeri Tracey (sp?), and she said they (Historic Fort Worth) were trying to help. It's not easy.
To turn Thistle Hill into a functioning beanery would require extensive modifications, I would think. Like most old houses, the kitchen is pretty spare.
I still think cross marketing the tie in on the cattlebaron angle would be a great help to raise awareness. Thistle Hill could become one more facet of our major tourist draw.
But that takes money and time.

#47 silvertooth

silvertooth

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:44 AM

Historic Fort Worth is, and always has been a great organization.
I'm sure that if they can help, they will.
In the beginning, (doesn't that sound grand?) the house was
always marketed as The Cattle Baron Legacy, and the Wagoner
and Wharton family connections were foremost. We worked
closely with the Stockyards, and the fact that it stood at the
head of Silk Stocking Row, where the cattlemen who made it
big went to live, after a day on the North Side.
There were belt buckles, medallions, book bags, all styled
as The Cattle Baron Legacy. We had a gift shop in the
Carriage House, where a Senior Citizen program gave
artisans a chance to sell their goods - and in 1981 they
grossed almost $30,000. Pretty good, made everyone
happy. Volunteer labor did a lot of the work, closely supervised
by a member of the THC. There was a youth program (that
was lauded as one of the best in the United States) which schooled
and trained apprentice union carpenters. They built a redwood
Pergola on the side of the house. I don't know what happened
to it. A lot of people weren't happy with it, but it paid a lot
of bills, including half my salary, kept the place policed and mowed,
and gave some young ex-offenders a new lease on life.
We did a little bit of everything, all working together, and having
a great time. The Fort Worth Chrysanthemum Society kept the
flower beds filled and glowing, there was great Docent Program, and
many clubs and organizations would hold fund raisers for the house.
We shoveled pigeon droppings off of the balconies, and the Junior
League members who were helping hauled it off for their gardens!
I have faith in Fort Worth. I've been gone a long time, but
my heart is still there, at the top of Silk Stocking Row!
Carla

#48 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

Hi everyone, I was quite shocked to learn that Thistle Hill is going to be given away. I remember docenting there back in 96 and also spending the night with the girlscouts..what a night. It makes me sad to think that one of our cities icons is being GIVEN AWAY! with all of the stipulations they are putting on the house. I remember when it was saved from being a parking lot. My great grandfather use to grate the road that lead up to it for Mrs. Scott. Isnt there something we can do as citizens to get this kinda stuff stopped. Im my neighborhood of Crestwood where I grew up and currently reside it sickens me to see all of the neat houses being torn down in favor of bigger, boundy buldging models going up. I was proud to see that Fairmount has taken a turn for the better in the past few years. We need to save our historic properities. There is money in Fort Worth. Instead of building a hotel in downtown...which makes no sence to me...couldnt they save a historic property?...This truly concerns me. When i worked at Thistle Hill I didnt it for free because I cared. The tours were 4 dollars then. What ever happened to the antique show they always had in September and the homemade pies and cakes and eating out on the verandas? That was fun..They stopped doing all of that and why? Who knows... I am willing to roll up my sleeves and save our history.

#49 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

The programs that Silvertooth described sounds like what should be still be going on. Too bad she's not still on the board.
After talking to some of the people at TADA (Texas Antique Dealers Association), it seemed that Thistle Hill wanted their money to set up, but wouldn't advertise to attract buyers to the fair. No customers, no antique dealers. It could have been a good deal, but the approach was wrong, and there was no room for compromise.
I will say right out loud, that, rather than give the house away under the board's constraints, the board should just just resign and the Mayor should appoint a new one.
And any new fundraising attempts, if even marginally successful, will just cement the old board in place.
Let me conclude with the fact that I have no idea who's on the board, I'm just leaping to conclusions based on pure hearsay. If they don't like my conclusions, prove me wrong by bringing the community involvement back, cutting their own salaries, recruiting dedicated volunteers, and have an open planning meeting to discuss the problem, rather than making draconian announcements and giving away what so many have fought to keep.

#50 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

Had a long conversation last night with a man involved in fundraising for the Ennis- Brown house, the concrete block Frank Loyd Wright house damaged by the severe weather in Hollywood.
Things are'nt looking well for this house......IF they can raise 2 million $ within 5 months, they would qualify for FEMA matching funds, which MIGHT pull in enough to keep the house from totally collapsing.
We discussed however, an issue which also applies to Thistle Hill, and that is all the Federal regulations involved in maintaining a structure once it is listed as 'protected'.
Say a board on your privately owned house is rotting.......you run down to the lumber company, buy a board, and fix it, poof. So all the Frank Loyd Wright buildings in private hands are in pretty good repair.
That same board is rotten on a 'public trust' structure, in order to comply with Federal regs becomes a $10,000 dollar job.
So the regulations designed to 'protect' public trust structures are actually having the oposite effect, being, in effect, unfunded mandates. They drive the costs up, without providing funds to make up the difference.
So there is a political angle to this as well which should be addressed soon, because in the current climate, fundraising efforts are at an alltime low, and historic structures are suffering, just like the arts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users