99 replies to this topic

#1 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired...After losing my wife I'm trying to find my life again

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hi..I'm Herb and starting in 1964 with my burgandy 1964 Impala SS (327-300hp) 4 speed with black interior and bucket seats and console. Terry my girl since 1964, then my wife in 1967 and I cruised and raced up and down University Dr, and our favorite place was Carlson's Drive-in. If any of you can connect with those times...let's hear about them. This was my 1st brand new car I ever had and it was the best I ever had.

Posted Image
Herb Jones

#2 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Here is Terry and my 65 Chevelle in 1965. My love of 45 years was taken by God in March of 2008.
Herb Jones

#3 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

I didn't get to drive mine when they first came out (a little too young). I spent quite a bit of time cruising Camp Bowie in my '69 GTO during my last year of high school in '85 and into '86. I headed out to Cooper in Arlington a couple times, but there was no room for racing & the cops started putting an end to the cruising.

Now I just cruise I35 back and forth to work in my '69 Camaro. wink.gif

Erik France

#4 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

In 1969 to 1970 I had a Z/28 Camaro and then a 69 Chevelle S/S 396 375hp, but by then I was married and the street racing was over but we still cruised all of the car hop drive-ins.....Carlson's all of the Clovers and Lone Stars of Ft Worth. We would cruise mostly University Dr to Berry St and Seminary Dr, River Oaks, Camp Bowie and 7th St. heading toward town. Those were the fun days....I am 67 now and back then I was in my mid to late 20's. Too bad most of the good times are gone. I sure wish I could have one of those cars back that I had between 1964 and 1970. They were all Chevys except for a 67 Dodge Coronet 426 Hemi which I really didn't care for that much as it was the only car I ever had with white interior. All of my other cars always came with black interior, which I favored over other color interiors.
Herb Jones

#5 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

OK , going to have to dig out a photo of 1969 Mach 1 with 390 4 speed......yes we all wish we had those cars back

#6 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Jan 27 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#7 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

I got my 1st car in 1963 when I was 19 years old from Green Motor Co. on S. Henderson in Ft Worth...It was a 1956 solid white BelAir 2dr post with a stock 265 small block with dual exhaust and 3 speed on the floor. If I remember right I paid $1200 but I put down $500 so I financed $700 and my payments were $50 per month. Try and do that today. One of the first things I did was to get a set of Morbec Mag wheels that were actually manufactured in Ft Worth. This was the car that I learned to do a lot of things as far as upkeep. I replaced the clutch in the parking lot of the base and that's when I learned that a line up spline tool was needed to install a clutch. The best way to learn is to ask, which I eventually did. I was still in the Air Force at Carswell AFB and needless to say, I all of a sudden developed quite a few buddies that wanted to cruise off base in Ft Worth with me...Back then not too many younger guys had their own car as military pay has never been good at all. As long as I could keep my car payment close to the same, I tried to get a new car each year. At this time I hadn't met Terry (my girlfriend) yet as that happened in Aug. of 1964.
Herb Jones

#8 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Jan 26 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is Terry and my 65 Chevelle in 1965.

Sweet!

Nice car too.
www.fortworthview.com

#9 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image

One day in mid 1964 I was driving down on Henderson St and went by Green Motor Co. again and saw a car that had my name all over it and I had to have it. It was a 1964 burgundy Impala S/S with all black interior and bucket seats. It had a high performance 327 300hp engine with a 4speed on the floor. No matter what, I had to have this car, it was priced at $2,800 and I got $1,000 for my 56 BelAir and I financed the rest at $84.00 per month including insurance. If I stayed money smart, I knew I could afford it, so I went and did it. Wow! I was only 22 years old and I had a my first BRAND NEW car and I was now officially "Hot Stuff"
Herb Jones

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Jan 28 2010, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One day in mid 1964 I was driving down on Henderson St and went by Green Motor Co. again and saw a car that had my name all over it and I had to have it. It was a 1964 burgundy Impala S/S with all black interior and bucket seats. It had a high performance 327 300hp engine with a 4speed on the floor. No matter what, I had to have this car, it was priced at $2,800 and I got $1,000 for my 56 BelAir and I financed the rest at $84.00 per month including insurance. If I stayed money smart, I knew I could afford it, so I went and did it. Wow! I was only 22 years old and I had a my first BRAND NEW car and I was now officially "Hot Stuff"

Now did you own the 64 Chevy SS at the same time as the 65 Chevelle? Or did you just go thru machines that quick?

And the 64 SS. This is a recent pic? Pretty fancy wheels for back then...
www.fortworthview.com

#11 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image

One day in mid 1964 I was driving down on Henderson St and went by Green Motor Co. again and saw a car that had my name all over it and I had to have it. It was a 1964 burgundy Impala S/S with all black interior and bucket seats. It had a high performance 327 300hp engine with a 4speed on the floor. No matter what, I had to have this car, it was priced at $2,800 and I got $1,000 for my 56 BelAir and I financed the rest at $84.00 per month including insurance. If I stayed money smart, I knew I could afford it, so I went and did it. Wow! I was only 22 years old and I had a my first BRAND NEW car and I was now officially "Hot Stuff"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now did you own the 64 Chevy SS at the same time as the 65 Chevelle? Or did you just go thru machines that quick?

And the 64 SS. This is a recent pic? Pretty fancy wheels for back then...
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No..I got the 65 black chevelle in 65 after I had the Impala a year from 64 to 65., and those are the wheels that I had on the 56 BelAir that I kept when I traded it for the 64 Impala. I actually got a new car each year till 1969. They will be shown here as I go along.
Herb Jones

#12 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

I love those old cars. Remember as a teenager working in East Fort Worth use to be a guy that came in the McDonald's I was working in around 67-68 that had a Chevelle that had the straight front axle and the thing sat way off the ground and all chrome. Blue with SS Krager Mags. That was the first time I think I had seen a personal license plate and it was "Loner 1" The engine would lope at idle. Had another come in and out in one of those Superbirds.

#13 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

In August of 1964, I was cruising with an Air Force buddy in the 64 Impala and ended up at the Rosedale St Clover Drive-in, and that was the luckiest decision of my life because that's where and when I met my life long companion Terry and from then on she would always be by my side everywhere I went. I only had a few more months in the Air Force and I had a decision to make about retuning home to Boston, Mass. I kept the 64 Impala until June of 1965 and traded it in for the black Malibu SS L79 (327 350hp) 4speed, as shown in the 1st photo above. Here is another picture of what it looked like. And yes that is the same girl as in the very first Post.
Herb Jones

#14 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

My next was this turquoise 1966 Chevelle SS396 L78. This was the most potent car I ever had as the factory under rated the horsepower to 375hp but it was the identical engine as the 425hp 1965 Corvette. So it was actually 425hp with a 4 speed and a 488 ratio 12 bolt rear end. Terry and I terrorized all of Ft Worth with this car and very rarely ever got beat including at the dragstrip unless I missed a gear or a major breakdown. I bought it brand new from Gene Snow on S. Henderson St. Melton and Snow Auto Sales in 1966.

Herb Jones

#15 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Jan 26 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is Terry and my 65 Chevelle in 1965. My love of 45 years was taken by God in March of 2008.

Beautiful Wife and Beautiful car.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#16 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Well Im 22 and I am no where near the 60's but here is my ride.

I drive a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2008. It it primered at the moment but will be HOK Candy Apple Red. I know it is not muscle but it is my ride.

Me in Odessa Texas at a car show

Me at Sonic on Main St in the Stock Yards. March 2008.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#17 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Feb 11 2010, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drive a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2008. It it primered at the moment but will be HOK Candy Apple Red. I know it is not muscle but it is my ride.

Herb Jones

#18 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

[quote name='FortWorthLowrider' date='Feb 11 2010, 08:33 PM' post='59624']

!984 Olds Cutlass. A definite classic that I bet you can't wait to buy all waxes and polishes to make it shine. To me if it doesn't have rear wheel drive it won't last 10 years, but you have a very desirable classic that will go on and on. I bet you could tear that car completely down and put it back together all by yourself...Keep up the good work and stay proud.
Herb Jones

#19 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Feb 12 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
!984 Olds Cutlass. A definite classic that I bet you can't wait to buy all waxes and polishes to make it shine. To me if it doesn't have rear wheel drive it won't last 10 years, but you have a very desirable classic that will go on and on. I bet you could tear that car completely down and put it back together all by yourself...Keep up the good work and stay proud.

Very true and I have started tearing it down. New front end.

New front end.
Im also looking for a posi track rear end axle. next on the list is to paint it. I already have all my supplies
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#20 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

After the 66 Chevelle SS, which I kept for almost 2 years, I had to slow things down a bit as married life with a baby daughter was so much more important than fast cars so this 1968 Chevelle SS 396 was next but it had a smaller horsepower output than the 66 at 350hp. This one was red and black and had the black interior, black vinyl top and 4speed on the floor. Street racing was a no no as this car was fast but not the fastest out there.

Herb Jones

#21 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Feb 12 2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Feb 12 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true and I have started tearing it down. New front end.

New front end.
Im also looking for a posi track rear end axle. next on the list is to paint it. I already have all my supplies

What engine is in your Cutlass? and what is your first name? It looks by the repair that the hood had some hail damage over the years.
Herb Jones

#22 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

Don't have any pictures unfortunately.
But my first car, other than driving my parent's cars, was a 1966 Mustang I bought for $900 in 1982.
Young and dumb, I traded it in for a 1984 Camaro, which was brand new and came with payments forever.
Sure with I had that old Mustang now.

#23 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Feb 13 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What engine is in your Cutlass? and what is your first name? It looks by the repair that the hood had some hail damage over the years.

Stock V6 and no hale damage. it was the sande I used that made it look that way. My name is Juan
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#24 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

That model, V6 and was blue.
A girl I dated back then did have a maroon one though, a 1965

#25 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

Next for me was this 1969 Chevelle SS396 we got in May of 69 and it was Cortez Silver with a black vinyl top and black stripes and all black bucket seat interior. It had the huge horsepower 396 big block with a 4 speed, 12 bolt rear with a 410 positrac and a chambered exhaust system. The other picture was taken in Vermont in 1970 with Terry, daughter Dana and our soon to be son....as you can see.

Herb Jones

#26 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

That car is BAD!!!
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#27 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Feb 21 2010, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That car is BAD!!!

That car today would sell for up to 60K at auction....I had my good times with it for only $3,200. blush.gif

Herb Jones

#28 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

It is now 1971 and after two years a change is due again. Still Chevrolet but now a Camaro as the 70 and 71 Chevelles seemed rather big and with their style changed so much we decided to go with the smaller Camaro.This one was a Z/28, hugger orange with black rally stripes and the black vinyl top,4speed and all the Z/28 engine extras. If you had a family this was not the most comfortable car as it had a very still suspension and still no air conditioning.
Terry.. 1971

1969 Camaro..Z/28
Herb Jones

#29 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

I want a 62 Impala bad.... sad.gif
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#30 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Feb 27 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here Juan...You can have this... No No No, just the car.

haha thanks. biggrin.gif
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#31 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hey guys I will post my build up here in Misc. soon. Progress of my car from start to finish.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#32 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:29 AM

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#33 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

In 1972 during the gas crisis I, like most of the country went to fuel effcient cars and the 1972 red Vega GT came into my life for the price of $2,800 and like all Vegas it had a very short engine life. In 1985 I completly overhauled it and spent much money converting it to a high performance street legal tire burner. When I was finished the only stock item left was the body. After about a year the following items were added along with the stock body. And as you can see it was painted black.
1970 LT1 350 CI with Bowtie Turbo heads Approx.425 hp.
Turbo 400 B&M auto Trans
Narrowed 12 bolt 410 positrac rearend and tubbed for wide rear Weld wheels
Front 5 lug disc brake set up from a 70 Chevelle
This car was total heavy duty and Hi Perf all the way.
In 1992 it was sold for $12K. I sure wish I still had it, as it was the last of my Hi Perf. cars.

Herb Jones

#34 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Hey Herb I just picked up this sweet 1964 Impala
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#35 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Apr 9 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Herb I just picked up this sweet 1964 Impala

I am so jealous!! The 64 Impala SS that I had was the best car by far I ever had. It looks like a great fixer upper. Did someone get shot in that car as I see a bullet hole in the windshield? Does it have a drive train? If so what is it. Wow!! it looks like a convertible too. Can I have it? PLEASE.
Herb Jones

#36 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

LOL I got it from a friend of mine for a 1000 bucks. Hard top solid! I dont think it a bullet hole. LOL. No motor or tran but I already have one lined up for it.
BTW thats not my house. thats where I bought it from Eastside. LOL
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#37 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#38 817.TX.

817.TX.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Chevrolet Impalas Schwinns

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Apr 11 2010, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I need parts!!! biggrin.gif
Born and Raised in Ft. Worth Texas.

Best believe I aint going no where!!

#39 817.TX.

817.TX.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Chevrolet Impalas Schwinns

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

biggrin.gif
Born and Raised in Ft. Worth Texas.

Best believe I aint going no where!!

#40 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

http://www.impalas.com/ Here's a start for you.
Herb Jones

#41 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Apr 13 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.impalas.com/ Here's a start for you.

Already have a wish list on that site. biggrin.gif
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#42 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#43 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Hi there Juan....
Any changes to your 64??
I know unless you have connections or go to a lot of swap meets, prices on these classic parts are out of sight.
Take care my friend.
Herb
Herb Jones

#44 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Jul 9 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there Juan....
Any changes to your 64??
I know unless you have connections or go to a lot of swap meets, prices on these classic parts are out of sight.
Take care my friend.
Herb

Nope its put away. It is a long term project. still working on my cutlass first. I do have connections and I do go to alot of swap meets though. none the less the prices are still up there. lucky for me most of my trim in complete.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#45 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Jul 31 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Juan....Here you go.....
Always...Herb

rotflmao.gif rotflmao.gif rotflmao.gif I build lowriders not that crap.... errrr I hate those cars. smilewink.gif
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#46 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Aug 1 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Jul 31 2010, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Herb Jones @ Jul 31 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Juan....Here you go.....
Always...Herb

rotflmao.gif rotflmao.gif rotflmao.gif I build lowriders not that crap.... errrr I hate those cars. smilewink.gif

OMG Sorry I hit a sensitive spot. I really don't like em either. Maybe next time I will do better.

LOL its ok man. Its just funny. smilewinkgrin.gif
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#47 Herb Jones

Herb Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hey Juan...
Much better??