8 replies to this topic

#1 WCS59

WCS59

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 09:19 AM

Does anyone remember a motor court or tourist court (old names for a motel) located off of the north side of Camp Bowie Blvd. just west of Horne Street?  I believe it was located on one of the side streets intersecting with Camp Bowie, perhaps Lovell Avenue where Mama's Pizza is now located.

I was a kid in the early 1950's, and I recall that the portion of Camp Bowie from 7th Street out to the traffic circle had highway signs designating it as US 80, 180, and 377.  This motor court had a really cool map on its front showing Highway 80 running from Fort Worth out to the west coast and highlighting all of the major attractions along the way.  I'd love to see a photo of that map if one exists.

#2 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 01:38 PM

I don't remember it, was a little before my time, but I looked at Historic Aerials and it looks like there was a motor court at the location you're describing (where Mama's is, Lovell/Halloran/Camp Bowie). Looks like it was gone by 1968.

#3 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 24 July 2023 - 03:02 PM

Wasn't that place you're referring to called the Rockaway Courts or something like that?  As I recall it was in between the split where Camp Bowie went to the left and another street/road split off to the right.  I'm going to check Google StreetView and see if it's the same place I'm thinking of.

Bill Sievers

#4 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 03:16 PM

On Historic Aerials, I think the place 801hme is referring to, on the right side of Lovell Ave. just as you got off Camp Bowie, was Glovers Lodge.  That was another old time motor lodge.  Our family stayed there in 1955 on a visit to Fort Worth related to my dad's job transfer to FTW from San Antonio.

Bill Sievers

#5 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 03:29 PM

The other place I'm thinking of is where Z Boaz Place branches off to the right of Camp Bowie.  There's a large plot of land there in that "triangle" which would have had the room for a motor lodge.  It appears to be a park now.  However, in the 1956 aerial view of that location doesn't show any structures that resemble a motor lodge, so it was probably east of there down Camp Bowie in the general location of where WCS59 is referring to.

I do remember the place I'm thinking of (Rockaway Courts) was sort of in the trees, and I believe that could have been sometime as late as the '60's.

Bill

#6 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 05:12 PM

I now know what motor court WCS59 is referring to.  It was in fact Glovers Lodge.  The address was 5708 Locke Ave. and that plot of land is now a strip-mall shopping center.

I still would like to know where the Rockaway Courts was.

Bill 

#7 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 06:49 AM

I now know what motor court WCS59 is referring to.  It was in fact Glovers Lodge.  The address was 5708 Locke Ave. and that plot of land is now a strip-mall shopping center.

I still would like to know where the Rockaway Courts was.

Bill 

Bill, just for grins I punched "Rockaway Court" &  "Fort Worth" in the search engine of Newspapers.com, it came up with a few newspaper want ads from the 30's & 40's for a waitress for Rockaway Court. The address given was 5900 Camp Bowie.

Yeah, I apparently have too much free time on my hands...I need to get back to work lol. 

#8 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 03:04 PM

Good one 801hme!  I did a Google search and didn't come up with anything.  For some reason I remember the location as being in a split of land between Camp Bowie and another street that angled off to the right.  Also, I seem to remember the place was a rock building and appeared dark and gloomy.  Maybe it had closed and was out of business.  Anyway, thanks for the "investigation".  Now, back to work!  :laugh:

Bill

#9 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 03:25 PM

I checked last night the S-T archives but didn't have a chance to chime in yet, but it seems like there were a few business cycling through 5900 Camp Bowie from the around the late 40's into the early 50's following the heavy amount of female help wanted ads for Rockaway Court.  It also seems like some of the neighboring business used 5900 Camp Bowie as a marker but were situated on Curzon Ave.
  • Rockway Court
  • Rockway Cafe
  • Hudson Oil Company (a gas station)
  • Giachino's Spaghetti House (around 1954)
  • Zeke's Fish and Chips
Here's a few ads that I grabbed:
mzFZFP3.png

aF8A3er.png

jSsAEx1.png

Xb1A1sq.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users