122 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Urban Development

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

There have been a few mentions of this project in other threads (Magnolia on Stanley, Southside Developments) but I figured the whole project could probably have it's own thread, since it looks like there is some movement finally happening.

1. The land has been cleared for the Magnolia on Stanley apartments.
2. As I was driving by today, I saw that the metal roof of the large warehouse building is being replaced.

I'm excited to hear more updates on this! I'll try to post some pictures I took and copy over the rendering that Austin55 posted in the other thread.

#2 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

https://flic.kr/p/27fkAkG
42169086742_6426238a00_h.jpgIMG_0150 by Taylor White, on Flickr

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Welcome to the forum.  Just out of curiosity, what's the meaning behind the name "District 90"?

Edit: I wonder if a Google search just answered my question.  The development straddles a Texas House District 90 boundary.  The apartments in the House district and the warehouses in the foreground are not.

#4 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

image.jpg

Lots more pictures on the Loopnet listing: http://www.loopnet.c...th-TX/12140689/

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Welcome to the forum, FunkyTownTay!

#6 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the welcomes! I've been lurking on the forum for years, but haven't posted until now. I'm excited for my neck of the woods to have some more forum activity soon - especially if that TCU Texrail station becomes a reality!

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the welcomes! I've been lurking on the forum for years, but haven't posted until now. I'm excited for my neck of the woods to have some more forum activity soon - especially if that TCU Texrail station becomes a reality!

You're in Rosemont?  I live in South Hills and ride through Rosemont frequently.  If you see a guy that looks like the one in the middle of this picture, give a holler (yes, I answer to Doohickie).

32766539_10215791347406935_3605271345845

My blog: Doohickie

#8 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Yeah Doohickie, I bought a house here about 2 years ago! Lately Ive been biking more - I really enjoy cutting over to Foster Park and Overton Park and on up to the Trinity Trails. Hopefully Ill bump into you sometime!

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

FunkyTownTay, we are neighbors.  You probably have ridden by my house.  I am also a cyclist.

I looked at your Instagram page and you are quite a photographer.

#10 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, we'll keep an eye out for you.

#11 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

FunkyTownTay, we are neighbors.  You probably have ridden by my house.  I am also a cyclist.

I looked at your Instagram page and you are quite a photographer.

Wow. :o I'm impressed.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum, Tay.

-Dylan

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Photography cred?  Check.

Rides a bicycle?  Check.

Welcome to the forum.

#13 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

Where is this project? Is that south main or 8th Avenue?

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#14 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

Where is this project? Is that south main or 8th Avenue?

Basically where W Berry and 8th/Cleburne intersect 

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

The property is odd shaped due to the orthogonal street grid and the angle of the railroad tracks and Cleburne Road.  The southern tip of the development is very close to the intersection of W. Berry and Cleburne Road.  Those warehouses run along the railroad tracks up to W. Bowie St.  Then the residential component will be on the east side of Stanley Ave. between W. Bowie and W. Cantey Streets.

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

I rode by there this weekend; looks like the apartments are 2 blocks long (the long-ish block that run north and south).  A lot of land cleared, and a big ol' pile of dirt.

#17 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the compliments! I just recently picked up photography. Luckily Fort Worth is super photogenic.

I snapped a picture of the sign on the site. Looks like the architect is 97w. At least for the commercial side of the project.
41361983375_d9c2c72aae_b.jpgIMG_1717 by Taylor White, on Flickr

#18 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:55 PM

This could be such a cool area to do something a little different than were used to seeing.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

It would be nice to see a little something different on this site.

#20 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

Glad this isn't yet another strip mall or series of pad site fast food restaurants.  Need more and more interesting, distinctive commercial places throughout the city.

#21 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

A lot of good progress is being made on this, it looks like. The picture below is the renovated building at the corner of Bowie and Stanley. The building a little further down Stanley has been renovated and the parking lot repaved. The large warehouse portion of the development seems to be really coming together. The instagram pages of Presidio, Hatfield and Domeo all have more pictures of the progress.

Hopefully there are already some good tenant leases being signed *fingers crossed*

31883476518_8172d8d97d_z.jpgIMG_2635 by Taylor White, on Flickr

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:45 PM

This little building really cleaned up well.  Since I grew up in the area, I had always noted that it was interesting building and in an interesting location.  Thanks for the update.

#23 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

I've noticed in several other large cities that there are popular 'urban villages' where old houses have been re-zoned and remodeled for commercial use. Dallas has the Bishop Arts District, Austin has Rainey Street, and even just on a small scale, Waco has a spot right by Baylor with a coffee shop(Common Grounds) and ice cream parlor in old, restored houses. I've always thought it would be cool to have something similar here in FW. With the development of District 90 and Magnolia on Stanley, I feel like the 2900 blocks of Livingston and Gordon would be a great spot for this. They're isolated enough from the rest of the neighborhood (commercial/public space on 3 sides.)

With the combination of TCU students, future TexRail station and new commercial and residential development in the immediate vicinity, it seems like it could be a great spot! Any thought on this?

44901012655_15a6d91d7f_b.jpgScreen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.28.20 AM by Taylor White, on Flickr

#24 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:59 AM

Here's a shot of Rainey Street in Austin:

44901094695_da79e4b1ba_b.jpgAustin_Convention_Visitors_Bureau_geoffduncan_08_4cfdc328-36b2-485a-8326-37ef60398839 by Taylor White, on Flickr

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

Something like that could work in those two blocks east of Paschal.  By the way, I drove down Rainey Street when I was in Austin over Labor Day Weekend.

#26 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

My wife and I stayed in an AirBnB in the condos across the street from those bars last year. Walked to see the bats, had some drinks and dinner on and around 6th, and finishing there. Pretty cool.

#27 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:33 PM

I love Rainey Street, we go quite a bit to Austin and always head there. Bangers is a great spot to hang out at. They recently expanded and have somewhere in the vicinity of 240 beers on tap. That would definitely be a good area as any to do this!

#28 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:07 AM

Here's a shot of Rainey Street in Austin:44901094695_da79e4b1ba_b.jpgAustin_Convention_Visitors_Bureau_geoffduncan_08_4cfdc328-36b2-485a-8326-37ef60398839 by Taylor White, on Flickr

Great idea funkytown!
One of the best ideas I’ve read on FWF.

#29 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:11 AM

I've noticed in several other large cities that there are popular 'urban villages' where old houses have been re-zoned and remodeled for commercial use. Dallas has the Bishop Arts District, Austin has Rainey Street, and even just on a small scale, Waco has a spot right by Baylor with a coffee shop(Common Grounds) and ice cream parlor in old, restored houses. I've always thought it would be cool to have something similar here in FW. With the development of District 90 and Magnolia on Stanley, I feel like the 2900 blocks of Livingston and Gordon would be a great spot for this. They're isolated enough from the rest of the neighborhood (commercial/public space on 3 sides.)

With the combination of TCU students, future TexRail station and new commercial and residential development in the immediate vicinity, it seems like it could be a great spot! Any thought on this?

44901012655_15a6d91d7f_b.jpgScreen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.28.20 AM by Taylor White, on Flickr

Ft. Worth has pursued the "urban village" model for some past planning and development efforts, though it seems some of the vocal support for it has waned over the past few years.

http://fortworthtexa.../urbanvillages/

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:23 AM

The problem with "urban villages" from my perspective is that it starts with the city declaring an area as an urban village and they maybe even set up incentives and do some infrastructure projects, but nothing really happens until there is private investment, and that can take a long time.  Magnolia is doing great.  "Six Points" (Race Street) is coming into its own.  We'll see what happens in Bluebonnet Circle as construction completes.  But really I think most of the urban villages are nacent, waiting for investment.

As for the are you singled out, I think that would be a great use for that but what about the residents and property owners?

#31 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

As for the are you singled out, I think that would be a great use for that but what about the residents and property owners?

It would definitely be a slow process transforming it. I guess it would either have to be a property management company that would be willing to fork out large offers to current owners, or a very patient long-term investor who would buy the properties as they come on the market and run them as rentals until they have all, or at least most of them. Which is something I could envision myself trying for (though it'd be several years down the road before I could even really get started)

Maybe an organization like 6th Avenue Homes would do something like this. They keep growing and diversifying their operations, so I could see them going for something like this if it had enough community support.

#32 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

Worth adding: The proposed TCU hotel would only be 6 blocks away from this area.

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:49 PM

Here's the page for the Magnolia (residential) development here, http://www.liveatmag...ersity-heights/

#34 Cody C

Cody C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

I lived in one of the Magnolia properties (Magnolia Lofts on Vickery) and really enjoyed the staff and amenities. The finishes are above average for most items I would say. My unit had built in speakers in the ceiling, a wine fridge, and an electronic front door keypad lock. These little boutique apartments are great for a different option! My only complaint is the name of the buildings are confusing with Magnolia Ave being such a recognizable name mixed with another location. I know this has been mentioned before.

#35 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:27 AM

Good to see the new Magnolia University Heights project rendering - looks pretty sharp.  I generally like what they build and like the fact that they seem to find ways to build in smaller, infill locations that are close to lots of things. 

The Rainey Street and Bishop Arts ideas are good ones.  I recently noticed that in Bishop Arts there appears to be a lot of new renovations/new development extending out from the existing center of activity. 

I could see this potential east of Paschal like you said.  Also this is realistically walking distance from the planned Berry Street TEXRail station, so would seem to be the kind of activity that would be encouraged.  Still, I dont live right there and would expect the existing homeowners would have something (negative) to say about this idea we're batting around. 

Those blocks seem like logical town house blocks too, but I expect that was hashed out during the whole big zoning (stealth dorms) discussion a couple of years back.  Anyone know if those blocks allow town houses or not? 

This could be a pretty active little pocket in a couple of years (or sooner).

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

Here's a *really* sweet looking rendering shared by Ibanez|Shaw architects,

https://www.instagra.../p/Bs_VpAOHF4_/

HN8gAPn.png

YsQcvLi.png

I believe this is the plot just East of the Americado Building, which has ownership by a group tied to the Stablemade Group, who are also doing the Near Southside Mercantile just up 8th Ave, and also using Ibanez|Shaw.

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:59 PM

This seems really big for this site.  It's definitely doing to change the character of the intersection of Cleburne Rd. & W. Berry.

#38 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:15 PM

Interesting!!!

Large, yes.  Can't tell from this perspective if that's bad though.  The largest Museum Place building at first seemed massive but has settled in nicely I think.  This might be okay, especially as the neighborhood and street evolve. 

I can't tell what sort of uses are planned in the building.  Is it a hotel?  Apartments?

Ibanez/Shaw does design cool buildings.  I wonder why the windows appear so small. 

#39 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:39 AM

Interesting!!!......Ibanez/Shaw does design cool buildings.  I wonder why the windows appear so small. 

Wasn't Ibanez involved as architect for Pinnacle Bank and Apartments; a building that I believe has blended well with the look of Lancaster (Downtown)?

#40 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:01 AM

I will be shocked if that ever gets built in that location

#41 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

I will be shocked if that ever gets built in that location

Why's that?

If that ugly gold thing from the 70s is standing down the street, surely this could be built in what's supposed to be future TOD.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

Jeriat, the ugly gold thing from the 1970s was built at a time when attitudes toward design were much different than they are now.  It will be interesting to see if the neighborhoods accept or oppose this building.  I live just a few blocks away, and this certainly impacts my neighborhood.  The Master Plan for the TOD and Berry Street area shows a lot of blocks set aside for new development.  Unfortunately, there are quite a few undesignated historic houses with some architectural character between Biddison, McCart/Cleburne Rd., Berry, and the BNSF tracks that should be preserved.

#43 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

Jeriat, the ugly gold thing from the 1970s was built at a time when attitudes toward design were much different than they are now.  It will be interesting to see if the neighborhoods accept or oppose this building.  I live just a few blocks away, and this certainly impacts my neighborhood.  The Master Plan for the TOD and Berry Street area shows a lot of blocks set aside for new development.  Unfortunately, there are quite a few undesignated historic houses with some architectural character between Biddison, McCart/Cleburne Rd., Berry, and the BNSF tracks that should be preserved.

I don't live in the area, but I would say it would be more accepting than not based on its size.

At least, the rendering doesn't make it seem as large.

7fwPZnE.png

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:15 PM

the ugly gold thing from the 1970s

...wouldn't look near as bad if they could match the colors of the window glass.

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

Doohickie, I agree with you, but that glass is not manufactured any more.  When buildings like this fall into disrepair, and the glass can't be replace in like kind, that means it is time for a remodeling and you replace all of the glass.

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

I've always said the entire thing should just be painted purple. Embrace the ugly.

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

Not trying to keep it off track, but is that place even being used, aside from the coffee shop at the bottom?

It's one thing for a building to be ugly. It's another for it to be ugly AND abandoned. 

7fwPZnE.png

#48 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

I'm not right on top of the zoning situation at Berry and 8th Avenue (generally around the planned Berry Street TexRail station) but I would assume that it is MU (which forced the famous 2-story Taco Bell), so wouldn't that allow them to build that tall automatically? 

The rendering shows a 5-story building.  I think that is shorter or roughly similar to the Grand Marc building on Berry, which to me seems like appropriate scale for Berry Street. 

Again, when it initially changes from 1 stories to 5 it seems do different, but given the width of Berry, that seems about right. 

#49 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

The Zoning for the Americado Site is part of the Form-Based Code Zoning along Berry Street.  The actual zoning for the site is BU-CX-6, which is for the Berry/University Form-Based Code, Commerical Mixed-Use, 6 Story maximum height.  The Taco Bell site is BU-CX-4 with a 4 story height limit.  There are other areas of zoning in the neighborhood, and I first thought I would download the PDF file and strip out the map and try to describe the areas.  However, that is a lot of work, so I'm providing a link to the Form-Based Code, which has the maps and definition in them.  Then all of you can drive down Berry Street, Cleburne Road, and all of the residential streets in the area and you can form your own opinions, and I would appreciate if you expressed them here. 

City of Fort Worth Form-Based Code Zoning for Berry/University

#50 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

I think it's a cool location for a building like that.  I am usually a fan of significant structures that are located at major intersections because they form a visual gateway into or out of distinct areas.  I'm still confused though by what it is.  Is it a hotel, mixed use office/restaurant/club space, residences?... I don't live in that area of town and don't know what effect it will have on the neighborhood, but I feel that it is kinda on an island and not really close to any residential to have any real dramatic effects on the area.  I may be totally off base and it is just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users