11 replies to this topic

#1 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:19 PM

I was at the stoplight of Bellaire Dr. S and S. Hulen St. and saw a guy park his silver SUV, get out and grab those "We Buy Ugly House" signs in the center median and drive off.  I think I've seen him on the other side of town too so it must be a personal mission of his to rid the city of these "Bandit Signs" or is a self-appointed sign vigilante.  I'm sure they are illegally placed to begin with, so I can't necessarily fault him for doing this.  It didn't appear he was a city employee in any official capacity perhaps just a concerned citizen.  

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:28 PM

I've done that on occasion.

My blog: Doohickie

#3 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:37 AM

Or it could be his sign.

#4 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

Or it could be his sign.

It didn't appear that it was for a garage sale.  He seemed rather annoyed with the presence of these signs in-general.  I think there's a small underground coalition of concerned citizens that systematically dismantles these signs for the great good of the city and its residents.  Consider it a beatification program.  

#5 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:36 PM

Well I think there is a limit to any neighborhood vigilante act and finding a middle ground would be better for all parties.  I am a realtor and I put up open house signs that have been taken or destroyed while my open house is going on.  That is public land and it is not right for someone to take it upon themselves to police the signs.

I can understand if it has been there a couple of days but not just for a 4 hour window.

#6 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

Well I think there is a limit to any neighborhood vigilante act and finding a middle ground would be better for all parties.  I am a realtor and I put up open house signs that have been taken or destroyed while my open house is going on.  That is public land and it is not right for someone to take it upon themselves to police the signs.

I can understand if it has been there a couple of days but not just for a 4 hour window.

The City is fairly black and white about signs, even garage sale signs.  Since a lot of open houses traditionally take place on Sundays, you could usually get a pass if Code Enforcement is off-duty in that area.  Our friends run an estate sale business and they've had several signs stolen over the years for no other reason than nosey neighbors taking matters into their own hands.  I'm guessing maybe they don't like the general public touring through their neighborhoods or are just plain old jerks.  They always take their signs down at the end of the day.  One trick I've used is I'll park one of my cars at the end of the road near a busier street and place a sign on my car windshields. 

"You can't post a sign advertising a business in a right-of-way, or off site.

-Brandon Bennett, Code Compliance Director for the city of Fort Worth

https://www.nbcdfw.c...s-issue/117104/

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:12 PM

I live on a corner lot near a neighborhood entry.  Open House signs don't bother me. 

Last year someone was trying to sell a house but they also put up "I BUY HOUSES" signs all over the neighborhood.... likely literally on every corner, including mine.  I threw that out pretty quick and I picked up several around the neighborhood.  That was just obnoxious.

But Open Houses?  No problem.

#8 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 10:27 PM

I live on a corner lot near a neighborhood entry.  Open House signs don't bother me. 

Last year someone was trying to sell a house but they also put up "I BUY HOUSES" signs all over the neighborhood.... likely literally on every corner, including mine.  I threw that out pretty quick and I picked up several around the neighborhood.  That was just obnoxious.

But Open Houses?  No problem.
As far as political campaign signs, I am fine if someone wants to put one in your front lawn but I could do without seeing them anywhere else.

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:35 AM

Yeah they're definitely not supposed to be on public  land.  But go to any polling place...

#10 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 07:02 PM

The city is encouraging everyone to help remove bandit signs:

#11 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:36 AM

I laud the city's approach to citizen involvement here, it's great! The only thing I would have added to that video is a segment about avoiding altercation with bandit signposters, e.g.: "If you catch someone posting a bandit sign red-handed, there's no need to confront them directly! Remember, safety first: call my office or the Fort Worth Police Department rather than directly engaging with the criminal." This would remind viewers that their self-help should be limited to dealing with the signs, not the signposters, and would probably avoid a few fistfights.

#12 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:43 AM

What, you don't want to reserve your spot at the "government auction" with the "picassos, rolexes, lamborghinis, louis vuitton, diamonds, monets...." ???

I wonder if those signs in the median of Bryant Irvin and River Park were stuck there legally or if I can take a walk this afternoon and clean them up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users