Photo
- - - - -

St. Andrew's Anglican Church (917 Lamar St.)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 05:21 PM

Here's some photos from St. Andrew's Anglican Church on the Downtown Walking Tour:

sqeZGCd.jpg

Xd8gXDZ.jpg

LmDjv9h.jpg

prQca1N.jpg

s6jKHYM.jpg

RDvXq2S.jpg

Qofgjln.jpg

vtuBGa6.jpg

WhBkeQm.jpg

TwQDKXM.jpg

mF50Vp0.jpg

5mLnvaM.jpg

OVb314d.jpg

GMf6uPV.jpg

iead3zu.jpg

I4fIauU.jpg

IdIpp1d.jpg

TvcEYq9.jpg

y9CXt7B.jpg

3DbIu8Q.jpg

7vyBUUG.jpg

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:47 PM

You took some really nice photographs.

#3 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 10:16 PM

Thanks John. This was probably my favorite stop of the day. The amount of detail and attention given to this space was astounding. The person from the church speaking today, she did a great job explaining how the architecture correlates to the spiritual experience and journey of the churchgoer. As you enter the building your eyes and spirit are drawn upwards. Also, the placement of the baptismal font in the back, symbolizing the start of a believers walk and as an initiation into the church. The floor plan shape of the building laid out as a cross. I really enjoyed the brief musical performances too, especially the organ, as it filled the room with sound.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 07:29 PM

The floor plan in the shape of a cross comes from the true Gothic Cathedrals in Europe.  Many of the churches in the United States have variations of the plan, most of which have been done because of the smaller sizes of the churches or the sites.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,701 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 09:57 PM

Loving all the church photos. We have some gems in this city. 

#6 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 12:26 AM

Thanks Austin55. For better or for worse, I only did very minor post production on these shots, a few quick tilt corrections and crops just being aware of time and to get them posted. The funny thing about the Downtown Walking Tour is it the perfect cover for walking into a place and photographing the heck out of it. Theres a certain momentum or eagerness involved with having a group of people together with the same interest to learn about a place. In most other situations, it would seem rather awkward or presumptuous to do so without consent. I could have easily spent an hour at each location snooping around but maybe another time.

I forgot to mention, but the representative from St. Andrews made an open invitation to anyone who wanted to come and sit in the church and reflect from noon to 1pm every Tuesday. I dont think its any sort of church service but just an open invite for anyone and I think they may have some musical performances the weeks approaching Christmas.

#7 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:45 PM

This church has been stuck in my mind since the tour. This is a true gem in the city, I had no clue existed. Nitixope’s photos do it great justice.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,428 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 08:28 PM

This is one of my favorite churches in Downtown.  Nitixope did a great job on the photography.  I did include a couple of photos on the building's page in the main website, but I have taken many more.  Most of mine have people from previous Downtown Tours in the photographs.  I need to start taking the time to focus on one building and then get those photographs on the site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users