• Please log in to reply
2099 replies to this topic

#2001 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:22 AM

It is fun to imagine what Panther Island could look like using these streetviews as inspiration.

#2002 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:23 PM

The location also reminds me of my pet peeve -- there is no way to walk across the Main Street bridge from north into downtown.

I gotta admit, these old stairs and lack of sidewalk access is pretty strange for Main Street.  Certainly not ADA compliant either but is no solution the only solution for now?  I saw they had a new bridge concept sign just opposite to where the bridge lands heading north.

L3ty6I0.png

5Sa3MCT.png

#2003 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone had a chance to see the old Leonard-Tandy trolley sitting out near where the southern end of the bypass channel will run?  They have torn down all the buildings at that spot and all that is left is the Trolley.  The vision of the channel is really evident now that those buildings are no longer in the way.

I'm curious about this? Have not seen it. 

#2004 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:07 PM

I have not seen it, either.  Maybe, I will get up there this weekend.

As for the Paddock Viaduct/Main Street Bridge, after looking at old photographs and maps, I'm pretty sure that before the power plant expanded, the bridge had pedestrian access from Downtown to North Fort Worth (Northside).  Those stairs went down to the Power Plant, which sat at North Main and NE 2nd St.  One more street apparently went under the bridge.  NW and NE 3rd ran under it between two separate spans at the very southern end of Encore Panther Island.  From really old photos, it looks like a sidewalk ran on both sides of the bridge at grade, connecting all of the streets and the stairway to the Northside.  You can see where 3rd ran under Main on Google Maps.  I remember walking down the stairway when it was open, and I could see the street pavement and curbs at the bottom of the stairs.    

#2005 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:50 PM

Speaking of bridges... it looks like yet again someone has plowed through the roundabout on White Settlement and S. Commercial Streets... is this actually a terrible design for this area of town?  Not only is that destroyed but there have been around 10 benches, 4-5 light poles and 2-3 trees taken out by cars as well.  I think the main issue has to do with the speed limit and speeding vehicles.

I use Jacksboro Hwy daily and it is a really dangerous road.  The speed limit is 45 but most people frequently drive 60-65 mph on the stretch between 21st (Near Northside High School) and Downtown.  Maybe the speed limit needs to be lowered to slow the drivers down.  They also blow past the light at 18th St that leads to my neighborhood and to the entrance to Rockwood Golf Course.  Over the years there have been several fatal accidents at that location because people come around the bend going to fast and they can't stop in time and they run the light.  199 south of University probably should go to to 35 or maybe even 30mph.

#2006 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 09:00 PM

Speaking of bridges... it looks like yet again someone has plowed through the roundabout on White Settlement and S. Commercial Streets... is this actually a terrible design for this area of town?  

No, people are just idiots. 

I'm sorry, but it's not that difficult to drive through a roundabout. That was either not paying attention or drunk driving. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2007 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:28 AM

Speaking of bridges... it looks like yet again someone has plowed through the roundabout on White Settlement and S. Commercial Streets... is this actually a terrible design for this area of town?

I recall one of the first times I drove that area I remember just driving a long and all of a sudden I was upon (and into) the roundabout a lot faster than I realized, and that was even knowing/expecting it.  I think it was encountering the second one (at White Settlement/S. Commercial) after just going through the one from southbound Henderson (which is coming downhill and tends to up the speed).  I remember clearing the first circle and, even though I knew the second one was coming, it was a lot closer to the first one than I realized.  I think that little piece of WS between the two circles should have a low speed limit posted, like maybe 25 mph (realizing most people will go a bit faster).  Also, the traffic circle sign is obscured by the landscaping.

Sure I should have been going slower if I wasn't familiar, but I think it's not uncommon to accelerate out of a traffic circle and them WHOA there's another circle right away.  It just seemed to come up faster than I expected.

My blog: Doohickie

#2008 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 03:00 PM

it's not that the speed limits need to be lowered BUT rather the design of the streets need to be redone so SPEEDING no longer feels safe.

Highway/road engineers design streets for a certain speed THEN build in "buffer" so people have room for error. The problem is that additional illusion of safety encourages people to drive faster

Bottom line, people will drive the speed they "feel" is safe no matter what a posted speed limit is. 

road design that MAKES drivers take accounting of the risks associated with driving will cause drivers to drive at a slower and safer speed.

#2009 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 04:35 PM

I saw this while riding my bike.  Do you think this is a soil boring analysis for construction or just another new gas well?  I couldn't find a specific permit for either one (I searched using 'Calvert' St).  With all the prospective development for TRV, I'd hope they don't drill another gas well this close to the action.

v54hjbX.jpg

#2010 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 04:40 PM

It has been there for at least a week or so too. 

#2011 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 05:04 PM

That doesnt look like typical gas drilling equipment.

#2012 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 05:20 PM

It's strange how close that little construction trailer is to the rig.  I thought maybe soil boring, drilling piers.  you're right the horizontal drilling rigs are usually much taller and less mobile looking, this rig looks like it could tilt over and drive off on the back of a semi almost like something they use to drill a water well.  I noticed there is an access road between the levy and the site if you take the gravel trail from the Rec Center on Henderson and wrap around west toward this site.

#2013 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:06 PM

soil sampling?

#2014 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:31 PM

soil sampling?

Most major projects have a Geotechnical Report produced ahead of design so that the Structural, Civil and other engineers better know how to design the footings and foundations for buildings, roadways, bridges etc. and is used in the bidding process so that the contractors and subs quoting the project know what sort of geological conditions and soil they are working with and can more accurately price a job based on the level of difficulty involved. 

It could be wishful thinking on my part that they'd be getting something started here...if it's another gas well site, my disappointment will grow exponentially.

"A geotechnical report is a subsurface soil testing and exploration analysis.  It is crucial to understand the soil mechanics of a site in order to properly design a suitable foundation for a structure."

https://www.hoganbui...echnical-report

"What is a Geotechnical Report? The geotechnical report is the tool used to communicate the site conditions and design and construction recommendations to the roadway design, bridge design, and construction personnel."

https://www.fhwa.dot...e/checklist.pdf

gUwlfr0.png

#2015 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 06:48 PM

Council was briefed today on the need to raise University about 10-15 feet for the valley storage areas. The roadway be fully closed for a period of 12-18 months. 

FQFE0kT.png

qRufh79.png

m75KuYU.png

#2016 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:47 AM

I use the bike trail under University on the south side of the river but appears to remain in-place/ unaffected by construction.

#2017 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 07:02 AM

I use the bike trail under University on the south side of the river but appears to remain in-place/ unaffected by construction.

In fact, isn't there panned improvement to bike access in that area?  Maybe they will do that as part of (or in coordination with) this project.

My blog: Doohickie

#2018 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 09:48 AM

That seems CRAZY!

Maybe I've missed something, but this project has been talked about for literally 20+years now and this is the first I've heard about needing to raise this section of University.

Was this "new" info for all y'all too?

#2019 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:02 AM

That seems CRAZY!

Maybe I've missed something, but this project has been talked about for literally 20+years now and this is the first I've heard about needing to raise this section of University.

Was this "new" info for all y'all too?

Yes

#2020 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:03 AM

I had not heard about it. Explains why so many development proposals for this area fell through. No sense in trying to deal with this mess...

#2021 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:39 AM

Wow.  I live next to Rockwood Park and use this all the time.  I'm sure that 18 months in going to be more like 24 months.  This is going to be a nightmare but one that I knew was eventually going to happen.  I mentioned the need for this to my partner about 6 years ago when we were getting ready to close on our house.

I think it would be an awesome project if they were to take all the open land in the main floodplain south of University and turn it into a small lake / retention pond with a bike trail around it that will have a dedicated connection to the trails from the Northside neighborhood east of Jacksboro Hwy.  Right now there isn't one and you have to hunt for a safe connection, time your crossing over Jacksboro hwy or throw your bike over a barrier to access them.

#2022 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 02:10 PM

I'm sure that 18 months in going to be more like 24 months.

We have an optimist in our midst. The "or later" start date is much more likely and I'll take the over on that 24 months. My 7th grader will be out of the house before this one is done. Anyone watching the University project south of 30? They have 8 days to hit their target date of February 2024, a date they were still touting as the project sat untouched for weeks at a time during football and graduation seasons and the Stock Show.

#2023 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 10:53 AM

More traffic headaches ahead as Fort Worth plans 18-month road closure for Panther Island
BY HARRISON MANTAS

https://www.star-tel...1.html?tbref=hp

#2024 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:58 AM

No attatchments available to download or anything, but should be an update on the strategic vision next week. From the City Council worksession agenda,

Presentation on Panther Island Strategic Vision – Dana Burghdoff, Assistant City Manager, Aaron Abelson, HR&A Advisors Inc Managing Partner, Cary Hirschstein, HR&A Advisors Inc Managing Partner and Justin Garrison, Lake Flato Architects Director of Urban Design and Planning

https://fortworthgov...m/Calendar.aspx

#2025 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 01:58 PM

More traffic headaches ahead as Fort Worth plans 18-month road closure for Panther Island
BY HARRISON MANTAS

https://www.star-tel...1.html?tbref=hp

Well, good opportunity to line that street with trees, as it should have been done years ago.  Would go a long way to make a major connection within central parts of FW look way better, cool pavement, etc.

#2026 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 04:57 PM

The update to City Council was presented today. You can watch here: https://www.youtube....nOM0x50E&t=8725

#2027 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 07:00 PM

Star-Telegram: 'One of a kind waterfront.' Here's the new vision for Fort Worth's Panther Island

#2028 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 08:49 PM

Final Vision 2.0 Documents posted by https://pantherislan...php#finalvision

Panther Island Vision & Strategic Summary:

https://pantherislan...-compressed.pdf

Panther Island Strategic Vision Update - Final Report:

Panther Island Real Estate, Economic Development, and Implementation Strategy:

#2029 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 09:22 PM

I've been looking over the docs for a while, but there is a lot to take in. They put a lot of time into this no doubt. I don't have any big takeaways in my quick skim, it feels like nothing particularly big has changed, but it's nice to see the goals of creating that dense urban environment have been carefully explained and outlined. 

Now to just bring it to fruition. 

#2030 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 09:36 PM

I've been looking over the docs for a while, but there is a lot to take in. They put a lot of time into this no doubt. I don't have any big takeaways in my quick skim, it feels like nothing particularly big has changed, but it's nice to see the goals of creating that dense urban environment have been carefully explained and outlined. 

This stood out to me (so far):

sHsdyRf.jpg

HTzoj4X.jpg

lpdRdIw.png

f5cGYCt.jpg

#2031 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 09:39 PM

This stood out to me (so far):

sHsdyRf.jpg

HTzoj4X.jpg

lpdRdIw.png

f5cGYCt.jpg

I honestly don't know what they're proposing or if they're just having fun doing some mock-ups but it sure looks cool to the naked eye.  It has that "kid in a candy store" feel to it (their design process).  I get easily overwhelmed by too many options and ideas.

Kind of sad-funny watching them dance around the massive substation in the middle of the dev. 

#2032 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:20 PM

Looks like they got rid of the Houseboat District... something that I honestly was expecting. 

7fwPZnE.png

#2033 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:44 PM

The more I think about this project, I wonder, are they just creating Las Colinas 2.0?

#2034 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 01:23 PM

The more I think about this project, I wonder, are they just creating Las Colinas 2.0?

I had the same feeling.  Las Colinas is doing well with their new direction so maybe that could be a good thing.  They just need to keep it more dense than what Las Colinas did and the addition of more green space is a positive and something that I feel Las Colinas lacks.

#2035 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 01:54 PM

I had the same feeling.  Las Colinas is doing well with their new direction so maybe that could be a good thing.  They just need to keep it more dense than what Las Colinas did and the addition of more green space is a positive and something that I feel Las Colinas lacks.

Much of Las Colinas' green space is along Riverside Dr. / Campion Trail all the way from 114 up to 635 and further north, however, I'd agree with you that some more centralized green space would be nice other than the waterways.

#2036 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 11:13 PM

I'm curious about some of the sections show along the water. 

Like, is this not just a levee still? How are they going to make the walk along a ~30' pleasant?

54VXeDn.png

#2037 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 07 March 2024 - 08:19 AM

Here's more from Fort Worth, Inc.

https://fortworthinc...2026E7643790G2W

#2038 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:16 PM

I'm curious about some of the sections show along the water. 

Like, is this not just a levee still? How are they going to make the walk along a ~30' pleasant?

54VXeDn.png

This part looks like the section only along the bypass channel that the TRWD would still control.

#2039 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:48 PM

This presentation looks great. Being relatively new to Fort Worth, I’m not carrying the same level of distrust and skepticism as others throughout the city (not here but Reddit and the like). I’m bullish on this. It’s gonna take a longer time, need interest rates to trend down, need a corporate tenant or two to move down, but overall we are riding some good tailwinds between the regional economy and population growth.

Also, glad to see the power plant incorporated. For those who haven’t been to Austin in the last decade, they revitalized their Seaholm Plant. Amazingly, they built a brand new city library adjacent.

#2040 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 12:38 PM

This presentation looks great. Being relatively new to Fort Worth, I’m not carrying the same level of distrust and skepticism as others throughout the city (not here but Reddit and the like). I’m bullish on this. It’s gonna take a longer time, need interest rates to trend down, need a corporate tenant or two to move down, but overall we are riding some good tailwinds between the regional economy and population growth.

Also, glad to see the power plant incorporated. For those who haven’t been to Austin in the last decade, they revitalized their Seaholm Plant. Amazingly, they built a brand new city library adjacent.

The Seaholm project in Austin is pretty impressive and I would love something similar here.  In regards to Panther Island being Las Colinas Part II...nope.  We know the business/corporate component is unlikely and as much as I would love to see high rises and such on Panther Island, I expect it to be mainly a bunch of apartment complexes. 

#2041 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 01:07 PM

Here's some of my other quick thoughts: 

Shrinking the block sizes and tightening up the grid is a very good step IMO. The huge blocks would invite way too much "pancake architecture" 

jWxw2iU.png

Height limits are one that I know the forum has discussed. The new vision loosens them up a bit in terms of where they could go, and also raised the limit a bit (from 288' to 325'). I'm glad this is capped and hopefully pushes any huge skyscrapers into downtown, and also will keep PI feeling a bit more open and sunny. 

VbHvkwS.png

There is def a lot of focus on some sort of transit on N. Main. A streetcar would really be cool running through the island and Main is the obvious one. 

xUYtiTw.png

The suggest arrangement of having protected bike lanes on the new bridges is just how they should have been built in the first place. 

Wb8E8FX.png

I love the "Bike Street" idea.

zJCCkBL.png

I'm glad the weird side roads for White Settlement, which has been dubbed "Panther Blvd" in the documents, have been dropped. Those always seemed like they took up too much space and were not pedestrian friendly.   

EBkCc1y.png

There also seem to be some notes about moving away from the heavy residential focus and more towards a mixed-use focus by inviting more office space and hotel uses. I think that's a good vision. 

#2042 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 March 2024 - 01:30 PM

Austin, you have been doing a lot of reading.

#2043 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 02:22 PM

I love the "Bike Street" idea.

zJCCkBL.png

I saw this in Berlin.  The one thing you'll realize in Germany is you don't walk in the bike lane.  My biggest concern with this is there's no bike lane or trail etiquette in Fort Worth and it's downright dangerous for absent-minded pedestrians, motorist who don't care and bikers alike. 

I have been taking a look at the bike trail connectivity and this seems exciting.  They've certainly put a lot of thought and effort into this.  I'm still wrapping my head around dedicated trails vs what will be more street-level bike lanes.

I found this statement buried in the document: "The proposed bike network outlined in the Form Based Code is a valuable initial step, yet achieving a genuinely bike-friendly district will necessitate additional connectivity measures."

r2OgpJD.png

lyC7y81.png

#2044 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:04 PM

The Seaholm project in Austin is pretty impressive and I would love something similar here.  In regards to Panther Island being Las Colinas Part II...nope.  We know the business/corporate component is unlikely and as much as I would love to see high rises and such on Panther Island, I expect it to be mainly a bunch of apartment complexes.

Well it's not like Las Colinas has an uber impressive number of high-rises, even for a suburban office complex (see the general Greater Houston area) there's not that many. 

23559630_1015579531149881MN213.jpg

I do see more apartments being built, but I can also see basically a shorter version of our current downtown skyline being built, and we only have like 7 real "skyscrapers" as is.

Also, "Las Colinas 2.0" is DEFINITELY NOT something I'd want anyway, because again, it's still a suburban office complex at its core. 

7fwPZnE.png

#2045 Eastsider817

Eastsider817

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 06:52 PM

The height restrictions need to be removed completely. Let the market decide what should be built. Let this city grow without restrictions.

#2046 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 07:18 PM

This presentation looks great. Being relatively new to Fort Worth, Im not carrying the same level of distrust and skepticism as others throughout the city (not here but Reddit and the like). Im bullish on this. Its gonna take a longer time, need interest rates to trend down, need a corporate tenant or two to move down, but overall we are riding some good tailwinds between the regional economy and population growth.

Also, glad to see the power plant incorporated. For those who havent been to Austin in the last decade, they revitalized their Seaholm Plant. Amazingly, they built a brand new city library adjacent.

Well it's not like Las Colinas has an uber impressive number of high-rises, even for a suburban office complex (see the general Greater Houston area) there's not that many. 

I do see more apartments being built, but I can also see basically a shorter version of our current downtown skyline being built, and we only have like 7 real "skyscrapers" as is.

Also, "Las Colinas 2.0" is DEFINITELY NOT something I'd want anyway, because again, it's still a suburban office complex at its core. 

Meanwhile in Las Colinas (taken Thursday)

YBpHUku.jpeg

#2047 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:30 PM

This presentation looks great. Being relatively new to Fort Worth, Im not carrying the same level of distrust and skepticism as others throughout the city (not here but Reddit and the like). Im bullish on this. Its gonna take a longer time, need interest rates to trend down, need a corporate tenant or two to move down, but overall we are riding some good tailwinds between the regional economy and population growth.

Also, glad to see the power plant incorporated. For those who havent been to Austin in the last decade, they revitalized their Seaholm Plant. Amazingly, they built a brand new city library adjacent.

YBpHUku.jpeg

Doesn't change that it's still a suburban office complex, and that's the most important thing to focus on.

7fwPZnE.png

#2048 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 09:59 PM

YBpHUku.jpeg

Doesn't change that it's still a suburban office complex, and that's the most important thing to focus on.

I guess we will overlook the indoor/outdoor music venue, restaurants, convention center, light rail station, bike trails, walking paths, water features, multifamily housing, and hotels.

#2049 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 09:21 AM

YBpHUku.jpeg

I guess we will overlook the indoor/outdoor music venue, restaurants, convention center, light rail station, bike trails, walking paths, water features, multifamily housing, and hotels.

Mainly because of where they are and how they're built... it's still more suburban than anything. Also because the primary reason for building up that area in the first place was for companies to move there, where everything else came much later.

There are still parts of that area that looks like this:

JEqw3No.jpeg

Even the picture you showed looked like it could be at some random big mall anywhere around The Metroplex. 

I'm saying I want them to start this off right and be much more urban in form.

7fwPZnE.png

#2050 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 09 March 2024 - 09:46 AM

Do you ever really green field build an urban area?

It seems it kind of evolves over time as the density becomes advantageous.

Being of my age, I most think of office high rise construction leading the way, and then back filled with residential and all of the food and retail and entertainment arriving meet need.

It seems we have found ourselves living in a post-office-tower era, even before the pandemic companies were leaving downtowns for campus settings.

I would be curious about what could be a catalyst for urban settings these days?

Is the Las Vegas strip “urban”?  It is sure dense and has a lot of large buildings.

Why don’t you talk about what it would be like to be standing in the area you want it to be; what would be at street level, what would be going on in the buildings?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Panther Island, Redevelopment, North Side, Flood Control, Infrastructure

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users