53 replies to this topic

#1 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:57 PM

It appears that the relaunched XFL will have a team in the Metroplex, the Star-Telegram reports. https://www.star-tel...ink=latest_side

A website that tracks domain name registrations shows that the XFL has purchased domains for Dallas and Arlington. https://domainnamewi.../30/xfl-cities/ Maybe the new team could make its home in Globe Life Park after the Rangers move next door.

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

Here's a question:

How many of you (Forum) regularly go to MLS games played in Toyota Stadium (Frisco, Texas) which I calculate to be a distance of 45-50 miles one way between Tarrant County Courthouse and Toyota Stadium?

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:24 PM

It's gotta be at Frisco... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:48 PM

According to Mac Engel, the franchise is coming to Globe Life Park. The field will run north-south parallel to the first base line with some necessary demolition along the third base line to make everything fit.

https://www.star-tel...e222617790.html

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

Well that's Certainly interesting

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:38 PM

Another team, another slight - arena/stadium in Arlington and will be known to the world as "Dallas".  We can't get any respect.  With civic pride, I personally do not support or follow teams that do not recognize my hometown;  Believe me, its has not killed me nor have I lost any sleep because of it.

What do they have to fear about us in that these organizations will not acknowledge us?

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:06 PM

Well, at least Globe Life Park will survive one more year.

It sucks the name won't be Fort Worth something.

-Dylan

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:29 PM

I think that Arlington should say something; it is their stadium, along with Tarrant County pitching in.    There is no reason that the team should not have an Arlington brand.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:29 PM

Less about fear of Fort Worth and more about the available facility. The Rangers and Arlington are probably providing the old ballpark for next to nothing.

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

Well, that does not explain the aversion to use anything other than something with the name of "Dallas" affixed to it.

Perhaps, I am jumping the gun because the team's name has not been announced, right?

Arlington should pass a resolution to stipulate that Arlington be apart of a team operating within its jurisdiction.  I think it has a similar resolution that "Dallas" cannot become a brand of any stadium/arena that it owns. 

Case in point, the Globe Life Park could not be renamed Globe Life Park Dallas or ATT Stadium Dallas

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

SportsDay has a siteplan,https://sportsday.da...chise-itll-look

1544028762-Rangers-Football-Model-Revise

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

And so the ingrained identity omission of the western area of North Texas is in full voice:

DMN--"The D-FW market is maybe the market with the most passion for football on all levels in the country," Luck said. "It matters there. It's remarkable. It wasn't a difficult decision to decide on Dallas, particularly after talking with the Rangers folks. The building is in great shape. And with a little bit of retrofitting, it will be more comfortable for football."

What he fails to understand is the passion that Texans have about their identity.  With utter ease, DFW becomes "Dallas". 

I do think that there is a naming rights battle to come in that the Dallas Cowboys will want to have a big say about the naming of the XFL team  within its territory as it does not want anyone associated with football stepping on or diverting attention away from its brand.

#13 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:19 PM

Hmmm, the retrofit looks like an expensive stretch. If I were investing in this thing I would be sure that the redesigned field was able to accommodate FUTBOL as well as other sports and events. Didn't McCartney announce a few days ago he was going to play there next year? Maybe a multi-use facility would work in a concentrated sports and entertainment complex area like Arlington... Someone must think so. Would this sort of facility make the Meadowlands jealous? Is the XFL likely to be a going concern? Someone must think so. Does UTA have a sports/entertainment facilities/resorts management program? They need one!

Whatever happens in the long run I will bet anyone that the XFL, for as long as it lasts, will allow dancing and other shenanagans in the end-zone after a touchdown  :laugh:

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

I agree. FUTBOL would be a much better bet than this thing called the XFL and would generate an enormous audience from Grand Praire westward.

FC Arlington would sound great!

#15 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:24 AM

Another team, another slight - arena/stadium in Arlington and will be known to the world as "Dallas".  We can't get any respect.  With civic pride, I personally do not support or follow teams that do not recognize my hometown;  Believe me, its has not killed me nor have I lost any sleep because of it.

What do they have to fear about us in that these organizations will not acknowledge us?

Don't worry it won't last long...

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:39 PM

Don't worry it won't last long...

...again. 

7fwPZnE.png

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

And former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who could probably have his choice of high profile college or NFL head coaching jobs, has been named GM/head coach of the Dallas XFL team. Bizarre.

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:05 PM

Another Tarrant County based team called "Dallas".  I cannot speak for y'all, but I do not follow teams that take no notice of or presume Tarrant County communities are suburbs.  If there is any civic pride left in Arlington, it should put a stop to this injustice!

Dallas is not due any recognition for a building that taxpayers in Tarrant County have a part in paying for.  And, yet again, this is a pattern too frequently accepted.  Already, Fortress Festival is creeping into that catchall branded as a North Texas Musical Festival for the DFW scene; and for certain, as day follows the night, Fortress Festival Dallas will become a shortcut for the industry.

A pox on all of them! May they crumble in blazing glory.

#19 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

Another Tarrant County based team called "Dallas".  I cannot speak for y'all, but I do not follow teams that take no notice of or presume Tarrant County communities are suburbs.  If there is any civic pride left in Arlington, it should put a stop to this injustice!

Dallas is not due any recognition for a building that taxpayers in Tarrant County have a part in paying for.  And, yet again, this is a pattern too frequently accepted.  Already, Fortress Festival is creeping into that catchall branded as a North Texas Musical Festival for the DFW scene; and for certain, as day follows the night, Fortress Festival Dallas will become a shortcut for the industry.

A pox on all of them! May they crumble in blazing glory.

Hear, hear!

#20 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

The XFL team at Globe Life Park will be named ...

dallas-renegades-logo-xfl.jpg
https://www.star-tel...mainstage_card5

#21 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

The XFL team at Globe Life Park will be named ...

dallas-renegades-logo-xfl.jpg
https://www.star-tel...mainstage_card5

Too many small thinking muncipal and county leaders... :mad:

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

A pox on both the Wings and the Renegades!

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

They're in Arlington... Not Ft. Worth.

If they want their teams to be called "Dallas", let them. After all, it's not like Arlington is a real city, anyway . . .

(I do like the logo and colors, though)

7fwPZnE.png

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

They aren't in Dallas either.

I presume that City of Dallas could object the use of its name commercially if the commerce is not within its jurisdiction.  Were I Dallas, being that it owns a stadium, The Cotton Bowl, it could be tricky situation if another professional team wanted to move into the Cotton Bowl.  Perhaps the City of Dallas is receiving or may be entitled to some manner of royalty?

Arlington is a City.  As for its interest, Arlington is probably fine with the teams operating within its jurisdiction.  It stands to benefit from tax receipts generated and the local sales tax; a benefits that the City of Dallas can not share or receive.

#25 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

They aren't in Dallas either.

I presume that City of Dallas could object the use of its name commercially if the commerce is not within its jurisdiction.  Were I Dallas, being that it owns a stadium, The Cotton Bowl, it could be tricky situation if another professional team wanted to move into the Cotton Bowl.  Perhaps the City of Dallas is receiving or may be entitled to some manner of royalty?

Arlington is a City.  As for its interest, Arlington is probably fine with the teams operating within its jurisdiction.  It stands to benefit from tax receipts generated and the local sales tax; a benefits that the City of Dallas can not share or receive.

Arlington is a suburb... Point blank.

7fwPZnE.png

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

....Arlington is a City.  As for its interest, Arlington is probably fine with the teams operating within its jurisdiction.  It stands to benefit from tax receipts generated and the local sales tax; a benefits that the City of Dallas can not share or receive.

Arlington is a suburb... Point blank.

"...... the classic suburban bedroom community of the 1950s is not as prevalent today. Many suburbs are now economic hubs, as well.”

What is your basis for labeling Arlington a suburb/ not a real city?; What city(s) is it supposedly a suburb of?

The Denton Record asked its readers the Suburb Question and found the following:

https://dentonrc.com...dfe366496e.html

If Denton, Texas is indicative and if it has something common with Arlington: Denton is in Denton County and Arlington is in Tarrant County; it would be debatable, given the growth of either to call either a suburb of Dallas presumably? 

#27 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:25 PM

FWIW, I consider suburbs to be cities that owe much of their existence (development) to a more established city (a metro anchor).

Since much of Arlington exists because of its proximity to Fort Worth and Dallas, I consider Arlington to be a suburb of both cities.

Denton is a relatively independent city that happens to be in Dallas and Fort Worth's sphere of influence, so I consider it to be more of a satellite town than a suburb.

-------------------

Back to the original topic, I'm not a fan of teams in Arlington being named "Dallas." That means no recognition for Arlington's other metro anchor (Fort Worth).

-Dylan

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:38 PM

Back to the original topic, I'm not a fan of teams in Arlington being named "Dallas." That means no recognition for Arlington's other metro anchor (Fort Worth).

Neither am I. 

There is one team, the Cowboys, that grandfathered into Arlington.  However, I think that newly established team playing in Arlington should be named Arlington or have a regional name (Texas) which is exactly what the Rangers found to be appropriate.

The Stars now want to capitalized upon Fort Worth Dickie Arena, but I would argue that the Stars are sufficiently sensitive to how many in Fort Worth feel about maintaining a respectful separation of itself from Dallas. 

Making their announcement at the Fort Worth Rotary Club, it was joked that they might call the Stars the "Fort Worth Stars" while training in Fort Worth. Seriously, that joke makes sense to me however much it touched an open sore.  It may also be a shrewd opportunity for the Stars to sell a few sweaters with the Fort Worth Stars across the front that will endear the team to its Tarrant County fans.

On a somewhat related matter, it will be curious to learn the reaction, to say the least, if for the TCU v SMU game, SMU wears its "Dallas Mustangs" road uniform to Amon Carter Stadium.

#29 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

might the XFL be doomed to failure before it even finishes it's first season?

With labor exploitation policies like this, I hope the City of Arlington collects their rent check before the season begins

"The XFL informed agents a week before its Oct. 15-16 draft that non-quarterbacks would receive $2,080 every two weeks they are under contract, for a max base salary of $27,040 for the season. There are $1,685 bonuses for being on an active game-day roster and another $2,222 for players on the winning team. A player who is active for all 10 games and is on a team that goes 5-5 would earn $55,000 for the season."

https://deadspin.com...-pay-1839344045

#30 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:47 AM

The XFL, like all leagues, suspended its season due to coronavirus. But now it says it won't return in 2021.

https://www.theringe...canceled-season

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

........ I'm not a fan of teams in Arlington being named "Dallas." That means no recognition for Arlington's other metro anchor (Fort Worth).

The XFL, like all leagues, suspended its season due to coronavirus. But now it says it won't return in 2021.....

Branding a team "Dallas" is an act of ghosting Fort Worth/Arlington and saying "who thinks of you anyway as being relevant".

I find this the first 100% positive outcomes resulting from the pandemic.  I would like to see the Dallas Wings go away too; it being the same kind of ghosting that really annoys me.

#32 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 04:51 PM

XFL reboot: Spring football to return to Chocktaw Stadium in 2023

Arlington will be the home of one of eight XFL franchises when the league re-relaunches next year.

Kind of embarrassed for the Star-Telegram how often "Choctaw" is misspelled in this article.

#33 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:05 PM

XFL reboot: Spring football to return to Chocktaw Stadium in 2023

Arlington will be the home of one of eight XFL franchises when the league re-relaunches next year.

Kind of embarrassed for the Star-Telegram how often "Choctaw" is misspelled in this article.

Thats funny. At least they didnt spell it Chalktaw.

#34 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:24 PM

This is the part in the script where someone says that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

#35 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 02:41 PM

This team is now named the Arlington Renegades.
https://www.xfl.com/teams/arlington

2209013_XFL_Ghost_0061_420c26fa-163a-40b

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:49 AM

........ I'm not a fan of teams in Arlington being named "Dallas." That means no recognition for Arlington's other metro anchor (Fort Worth).

The XFL, like all leagues, suspended its season due to coronavirus. But now it says it won't return in 2021.....

Branding a team "Dallas" is an act of ghosting Fort Worth/Arlington and saying "who thinks of you anyway as being relevant".

I find this the first 100% positive outcomes resulting from the pandemic.  I would like to see the Dallas Wings go away too; it being the same kind of ghosting that really annoys me.

Does Fort Worth have an aversion to hosting any professional sports teams?  Why did Arlington get this XFL franchise when Arlington is already hosting the "Dallas" Cowboys?  If any of us from Fort Worth get upset when Arlington teams are branded as Dallas ones, we can do something about it by demanding that our city get a sports franchise.  That way, I doubt if any reasonable person would confuse a Fort Worth team with Dallas (?)

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:57 AM

How do you demand that the city gets a sports franchise?

#38 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 10:49 AM

What about the Panthers Lacrosse?  That's pro isn't it?

#39 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:06 AM

Why did Arlington get this XFL franchise when Arlington is already hosting the "Dallas" Cowboys?  

This is a pretty poor comparison.  Hosting a team from a league that has failed multiple times and will likely fail again is a different animal from being the home of one of the most popular and highly valued sports franchises in the world.  The presence of an XFL franchise doesn't dilute the brand of the Cowboys.  The XFL team ended up in Arlington because they had an available venue, and the city perhaps pursued them in some way.  It's doubtful they "chose" Arlington over any other city in the area because there probably weren't any other options.

#40 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 03:18 PM

Why did Arlington get this XFL franchise when Arlington is already hosting the "Dallas" Cowboys?  

This is a pretty poor comparison.  Hosting a team from a league that has failed multiple times and will likely fail again is a different animal from being the home of one of the most popular and highly valued sports franchises in the world.  The presence of an XFL franchise doesn't dilute the brand of the Cowboys.  The XFL team ended up in Arlington because they had an available venue, and the city perhaps pursued them in some way.  It's doubtful they "chose" Arlington over any other city in the area because there probably weren't any other options.

Point well taken.  This gets back to my question as why Fort Worth seems to not want to have a professional sports team.  All Fort Worth can provide is either Dickie's Arena (which is too small for most sports activities of a large scale) or maybe Amon G. Carter Stadium.  No one in our city seems dedicated to proposing and funding a complex the size of Global Life Field or AT&T stadium.  Ergo we may never get a major professional sports franchise.  Does it matter?  I think it does.  As I've stated in this forum numerous times that having a professional sports team is far more a national identity for a city in our country than is a college football or basketball team.  Just think that most people in our country would not know that the small city of Green Bay exists if it had not been for the Packers.

#41 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 03:51 PM

Green Bay, Ill give you that one, hard to believe its two hours from Milwaukee. Another example would be Oakland and San Jose.

#42 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 04:01 PM

All Fort Worth can provide is either Dickie's Arena (which is too small for most sports activities of a large scale) or maybe Amon G. Carter Stadium.  No one in our city seems dedicated to proposing and funding a complex the size of Global Life Field or AT&T stadium.  Ergo we may never get a major professional sports franchise.

You're talking about going at this backward. Fort Worth needs someone local to buy a team and then build a stadium. Ask San Antonio if building a stadium first works. It worked for Tampa to a degree. The stadium is a dump and they are typically in the bottom 5 in MLB attendance, even in years when they win. Dickies Arena was not built to attract a professional franchise. It was built to house its main tenant, the rodeo, and the size was determined with that in mind. And the size of the arena isn't hurting them at all. They're drawing in musical acts that routinely sell out NFL stadiums and, from what I've heard, working their staff to death with their packed schedule.

I agree that there's national prestige gained from having a professional team, but spending $500 million-1 billion on a facility with the hopes of attracting one is recipe for disaster.

#43 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 04:22 PM

All Fort Worth can provide is either Dickie's Arena (which is too small for most sports activities of a large scale) or maybe Amon G. Carter Stadium.  No one in our city seems dedicated to proposing and funding a complex the size of Global Life Field or AT&T stadium.  Ergo we may never get a major professional sports franchise.

You're talking about going at this backward. Fort Worth needs someone local to buy a team and then build a stadium. Ask San Antonio if building a stadium first works. It worked for Tampa to a degree. The stadium is a dump and they are typically in the bottom 5 in MLB attendance, even in years when they win. Dickies Arena was not built to attract a professional franchise. It was built to house its main tenant, the rodeo, and the size was determined with that in mind. And the size of the arena isn't hurting them at all. They're drawing in musical acts that routinely sell out NFL stadiums and, from what I've heard, working their staff to death with their packed schedule.

I agree that there's national prestige gained from having a professional team,but spending $500 million-1 billion on a facility with the hopes of attracting one is recipe for disaster.

Right.  Of course, this is a "cart before the horse" dilemma for Fort Worth or any other city that lacks a major franchise.  My guess is that the local impetus is, maybe, a combination of willingness to seek a franchise and financial willingness and feasibility to build a stadium.  For instance, let's say the Bass family would love for FW to have a big team like the Cowboys.  Yes, I believe you're right that they would first need to persuade a franchise commission that Fort Worth is a great place to have one.  That being done, the Bass family could easily obtain financial backing (I believe) to build a facility.  But your earlier argument is also convincing--you can't get a franchise if you don't have a facility to support one.   

The underlying problem, I think, is that no one with financial pull in this community has the desire or cares to take the initiative to approach a franchise commission with a Fort Worth portfolio in hand.

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 07:06 PM

Another large problem is that a local buying a franchise isn't just going to be able to simply pick up a team and move it to Fort Worth. Look at how many teams in the big 4 sports have moved since 2000: MLB - 1, NFL - 3, NBA - 3, NHL - 1.  Only in the case of the NFL in LA did any of these moves add a second team to an area and that area went from none to 2 in 2 seasons.  I think we can all agree that a second NFL franchise will not happen in this area in our lifetime assuming that the Jones family maintains their influence in the league.  I don't believe that there's enough demand in this area to support an additional MLB or NHL franchise.  Both draw well when the teams are winning, but fair weather fans don't exactly signify any appreciable amount of pent up demand for a second franchise.  I don't know that the situation with the NBA is that different.  MLS might be an option with soccer experiencing growth in popularity.  Texas already matches California with 3 franchises in state and expansion is already planned elsewhere.

At the end of all of that, current families of influence in Fort Worth seem to have more interest in putting their money in plenty of other worthy causes besides sports franchises.

The best option would be luring one of the current franchises and that's not completely out of the question.  The Cowboys will inevitably move to Frisco when it comes time, the Rangers are set for the foreseeable future, all indications are that Cuban has interest in building his own arena, and that leaves the Stars.  If Cuban opts to not partner with the Stars, that could be the best chance to draw a team to Fort Worth.

#45 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:25 PM

I think the idea of FW getting a franchise from the big 4 leagues is a fantasy, not a reality.  One reason is that the area can really only support 1 team from each of those leagues.  Secondly, I think when FW had it's own teams (Arena league, NBADL, the FW Fire, Brahmas and now Panther City Lacrosse) they don't support them.  The teams were always last or near the bottom in attendance and folded before the fan base could grow.  I also think that because our metro area is so large in land area that makes fans that are willing to drive an hour to a sports event on the weekday few and far between.

I do think FW might be able to get an MLS franchise but I doubt that will happen.  I do think it would make sense because people in Southern, Western and SW Tarrant county are far enough from Frisco that they may drive to FW to watch a match.  You could even get people from Wise, Parker and Johnson counties as well.  Again it is a pipe dream but I think if we were to get a franchise the MLS would probably be the one especially because the stadiums are usually on the smaller side.

• JBB likes this

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 04:33 PM

I think the idea of FW getting a franchise from the big 4 leagues is a fantasy, not a reality.  One reason is that the area can really only support 1 team from each of those leagues.  Secondly, I think when FW had it's own teams (Arena league, NBADL, the FW Fire, Brahmas and now Panther City Lacrosse) they don't support them.  The teams were always last or near the bottom in attendance and folded before the fan base could grow.  I also think that because our metro area is so large in land area that makes fans that are willing to drive an hour to a sports event on the weekday few and far between.

I do think FW might be able to get an MLS franchise but I doubt that will happen.  I do think it would make sense because people in Southern, Western and SW Tarrant county are far enough from Frisco that they may drive to FW to watch a match.  You could even get people from Wise, Parker and Johnson counties as well.  Again it is a pipe dream but I think if we were to get a franchise the MLS would probably be the one especially because the stadiums are usually on the smaller side.

Our best chance is MLS, with NBA being a distant second, in terms of the major leagues. 

But of those teams you mentioned, they were either minor league teams (with poor ownership and marketing) or, in the case of PCLC, a niche sport that doesn't see a lot of full capacity arenas all across the league. 

The Cats had no real problems and many people are still begging to bring the team back, but we lost them because the owner decided to pack up and abandon LaGrave instead of selling the team or trying to find a more stable league. 

7fwPZnE.png

#47 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:51 PM

Carl Bell's financial problems really sank the team.  Separating the team and stadium ownership left them with no control over a venue and it made league affiliation a tall order.  It's a shame because the team developed a decent following during a time when the Rangers were really bad leading up to the late 00s/early 10s success.

MLS might be their best bet for a major sport, but that is going to involve luring away another team or depending on the league adding a 4th team to the state.  That seems like a long shot at best. 

#48 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 06:34 PM

MLS might be their best bet for a major sport, but that is going to involve luring away another team or depending on the league adding a 4th team to the state.  That seems like a long shot at best. 

...I don't think that has to be the case.  

The MLS is looking to expand, they're about to add St. Louis as the 29th club next year with potential candidates in Vegas, San Diego and Phoenix to get it to 32, like everyone else. But who's to say they'll stop there and not add a few more to get to 36, and possibly going to the Pro/Rel system with say 20 in the "Premier" and 16 others in the "Champions" division of it?

That's also a long shot, but not really impossible, either. After all, MLS has been pretty successful and has rose to what it is today in a very short time, compared to the other big leagues. 

7fwPZnE.png

#49 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 12:20 AM

There is clearly a fairly fluid market among various top sports leagues.  Cities and owners who refuse to invest in new or improved facilities tend to be at risk of losing franchises. 

I've heard Fort Worth has long viewed it as a winner's curse to successfully chase a sports team b/c you have to essentially overpay for a 25-year lease with a team who will then demand another round of investment. 

But if Fort Worth could, with very little risk, start openly communicating that it would like to have a major sports franchise.  I think best if FW proactively identified two sites that would work for an arena and a stadium, so it would allow us to be faster in our response to interest (and know what it takes). 

When the Cowboys lease is up, they might have another beauty contest and as someone said, towns like Frisco, if they have a site, will go hard after them.  If the Cowboys moved to Frisco, it clearly opens up Fort Worth as an NFL site. 

Jeriat, spot on about the minor league sports.  Those are not at all an indication of Fort Worth's demand for major sports. 

Panther City Lacrosse is really cool and hope it continues to grow. 

Questions: 

Anyone know the update on the rumored USL team? (Austin Aztecs were supposed to be considering coming to FW). 

Where would be ideal sites for NBA/NHL arena and for NFL/MLS stadium?

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 06:02 AM

The Cowboys moving to Frisco will not clearly open up Fort Worth as an option for an NFL team. The team itself will oppose it and the league will go to great lengths to protect one of its most successful brands.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Football, Sports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users