76 replies to this topic

#51 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 09:36 AM

Get Back really is phenomenal and worth the price of a month of Disney+.  It's a fascinating look into the process of creating a great album.

The only band I've seen multiple times with a huge back catalog is U2 and I'm a big enough fan that I'm still into their new music.  I saw them on 2 tours that focused on new albums and they did a good job of balancing in older music.  I last saw them in 2017 when they celebrated the 30th anniversary of an album by playing it straight through.  Only the encore had songs released after that album and they were all more than 15 years old.

#52 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 09:26 PM

When I spend big money to go see a long time touring act that's still making new music, I really want to see them play the hits rather than the new music.  

When a band plays a concert, if they have a recent album out the point is to try to get you to by the new album.  I saw Billy Joel when 52nd Street had just been released.  I was totally unfamiliar with it.  Today it's one of my favorite albums of his.

My blog: Doohickie

#53 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 09:31 PM

Also:

Sony [is] the sole owner of the Lennon-McCartney catalog

So he has to pay Sony to play his own Beatles music.

#54 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 28 May 2022 - 10:39 PM

Get Back really is phenomenal and worth the price of a month of Disney+.  It's a fascinating look into the process of creating a great album.

The only band I've seen multiple times with a huge back catalog is U2 and I'm a big enough fan that I'm still into their new music.  I saw them on 2 tours that focused on new albums and they did a good job of balancing in older music.  I last saw them in 2017 when they celebrated the 30th anniversary of an album by playing it straight through.  Only the encore had songs released after that album and they were all more than 15 years old.

Big fan here as well.  Nice seeing a fellow U2 fan on here.  I saw them at the TCCC in 1987 on the 2nd night when they played with BB King.  That show as you may know was featured in the Rattle and Hum film.

#55 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:44 AM

Also:

That's awful.

-Dylan

#56 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 08:01 AM

Also:

That's awful.

For whom?  He didn't *have* to sell his stake in the catalog but he did and I'm sure he made a boatload of money doing it.

#57 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 09:17 AM

Sony and Paul McCartney settled on a deal to give him back the rights to the Lennon-McCartney music a few years ago.  I'm not sure he sure he still has to pay to play that music any longer.

#58 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 06:56 AM

Hearing lots of buzz about the Rocket League World Championships the next couple weeks at Dickies. Apparently contestants from all over the world have been filling up the downtown hotels. https://www.dallasob...t-2022-14365304
https://www.star-tel...e263437518.html

#59 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 05:12 PM

Its been slow starting this week, but ya, there are a couple of hundred contestants and staff here to support the prelim rounds that started on Thursday. The first three days of the prelims, we have been averaging about 1000 fans a day, but tons of web views! Next week they move from the Pavilion, aka, the Rodeo Warm up Arena, into the main arena for the finals on Friday Saturday and Sunday.  Going to be an incredibly eye popping set in the building and expecting full crowds each day.  just wish we could convince them to stop referring to it as Dallas . . . . 

Hearing lots of buzz about the Rocket League World Championships the next couple weeks at Dickies. Apparently contestants from all over the world have been filling up the downtown hotels. https://www.dallasob...t-2022-14365304
https://www.star-tel...e263437518.html

#60 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:26 PM

https://frogstoday.c...n-the-hardwood/

Just got announced the other day, should be a better match-up as far as attendance goes.  The first two games for TCU in the building, USC and then Texas A&M during covid shutdown certainly didn't draw much, but hopefully closer to 7,000 for this one

#61 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:51 PM

Just got announced the other day, should be a better match-up as far as attendance goes.  The first two games for TCU in the building, USC and then Texas A&M during covid shutdown certainly didn't draw much, but hopefully closer to 7,000 for this one

It would help if tickets were not outrageously priced.

#62 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 01:46 PM

It would help if tickets were not outrageously priced.

I don't think that's the reason... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#63 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:20 PM

I will be honest with this board. I have been a season ticket holder for TCU men's basketball since 1996.

I hate, hate, hate going off campus for games in Fort Worth. It costs more for the game, then add in $40 or so to park and the cost of concessions.

I would rather watch the game at home than deal with the hassle of going to Dickies. I'm not alone in my thinking in my friends who are also season ticket holders.

I predict less than 5k there. 

#64 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

You're far from the first fan I've heard say that.  Just out of curiosity, what's the typical attendance for a game on campus?

#65 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:41 PM

You're far from the first fan I've heard say that.  Just out of curiosity, what's the typical attendance for a game on campus?

Early games against no name teams 2-3k.

Big 12 play, typically sold out.

TCU even expanded the student section this next year as it got so crazy with student attendance last year. It helped that Barstool sports had a tailgate party before each Big 12 game and got them all liquored up and rowdy. 

#66 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:49 PM

That's great.  When I searched for the arena capacity, plenty of photos of sold out Big 12 games come up.

#67 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 05:55 AM

The student aspect does not help the games here at all either, the lone game at Dickies is always either the week of finals or the first week of break, so we see very, very few fans.  The best attendance we have had for a non conference game in the building was the Texas Tech v Houston game, probably just under 5000k.  When I went to school at Saint Louis University we had a laughably small on campus gym, so played downtown at what's now the enterprise center, since it was similar, 3-4 miles from campus the activities board at least provided shuttles to and from, does TCU do that for these games?

I know it was a big thing for coach Dixon to be able to recruit under the guise of a major downtown arena for secondary games, ala, St Johns and MSG, Villanova and Wells Fargo Center or USC and Staples Center, but not sure the light crowds are helping with recruiting.

#68 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 03:01 PM

The student aspect does not help the games here at all either, the lone game at Dickies is always either the week of finals or the first week of break, so we see very, very few fans.  The best attendance we have had for a non conference game in the building was the Texas Tech v Houston game, probably just under 5000k.  When I went to school at Saint Louis University we had a laughably small on campus gym, so played downtown at what's now the enterprise center, since it was similar, 3-4 miles from campus the activities board at least provided shuttles to and from, does TCU do that for these games?

I know it was a big thing for coach Dixon to be able to recruit under the guise of a major downtown arena for secondary games, ala, St Johns and MSG, Villanova and Wells Fargo Center or USC and Staples Center, but not sure the light crowds are helping with recruiting.

I do not recall there being any type of shuttle for the students to Dickies in any of the games played there.

It is just beyond dumb that TCU plays off campus so close to the school when the arena on campus was recently remodeled. 

#69 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 09:02 AM

I do not recall there being any type of shuttle for the students to Dickies in any of the games played there.

It is just beyond dumb that TCU plays off campus so close to the school when the arena on campus was recently remodeled. 

Major city schools do this on occasion several times.

Villanova plays in their "secondary arena" more than the one on campus.

7fwPZnE.png

#70 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 10:05 AM

Not to take anything away from TCU, but Villanova is a bit of a different animal where men's basketball is concerned.

#71 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 12:21 PM

Not to take anything away from TCU, but Villanova is a bit of a different animal where men's basketball is concerned.

I don't think anyone will confuse Villanova basketball and TCU basketball.

But it's not all that uncommon to see schools play in bigger arenas every now and then.

7fwPZnE.png

#72 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:50 AM

I'm pretty psyched as my all-time favorite band, Muse, announced today they are coming to Dickies the day after my birthday. 

Awesome that we have a venue like that now!

#73 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 12:53 PM

Remember when there was concern that Dickies wouldn't get good concerts because it was smaller than the AAC?

I saw Muse open for U2 at AT&T in 2009.  They put on a good show.

#74 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:12 PM

Muse is interesting too as they were one of the last bands to perform at the Convention Center back in 2010 w/ Silversun Pickups. 

#75 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 02:04 PM

Remember when there was concern that Dickies wouldn't get good concerts because it was smaller than the AAC?

I saw Muse open for U2 at AT&T in 2009.  They put on a good show.

next couple of weeks are scheduled for a handful more big time shows coming through as well!!

#76 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 08:43 AM

Nice publicity in Billboard magazine,
Fort Worth's Dickies Arena Proves There's Room for One More in the Lone Star State
Dickies ranks No. 2 on the midyear Top Venues chart.

#77 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 24 June 2023 - 09:43 AM

Nice publicity in Billboard magazine,
Fort Worth's Dickies Arena Proves There's Room for One More in the Lone Star State
Dickies ranks No. 2 on the midyear Top Venues chart.

I read something about this from another source however it was open and you didn't have to subscribe to the publication to read the article.  Can't quite remember which outlet it was.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users