Fort Worth Scavenger Hunt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hi all - thinking of a fun summer activity for someone to take part in, and a scavenger hunt of Fort Worth came to mind. I wanted to tap the vast wealth of the Forum here in helping me prepare a fun little activity for one or a small group of people to take part in, in such a way that highlights the things about Fort Worth we're most proud of.

Just brainstorming here, though here are some criterion I thought could be provided to serve as a little guidance:
* Activities that are best for groups of 2 to 6 people
* Activities that are free or relatively inexpensive...otherwise
* More difficult/expensive activities would earn a person or team more points (hat tip to the University of Chicago for this idea: http://scavhunt.uchi...ts/list2008.pdf)
* List of items on the scavenger hunt may be cryptic, so person(s) participating will have to decipher the riddle to figure out where exactly to go

Here are some list items I have just thought of to get started:
* Have Sundance validate your parking [2 points]
* There are ____ (number of) condiments available at the relish bar in Billy Miner's [3 points to relish in for responding correctly]
* Eat a bowl of chips and salsa at Rancho Grande [1 point if you can find the restaurant, 1 point if you eat the chips & salsa]
* Ride ____ miles on the Trinity Trails [1/2 point per mile]
* Obtain a 'Molly' pin from Mayor Mike [10 points]
* Reenact a scene from Logan's Run in this garden with no plants [2 points]
* Watch the coolest Cats in town hit a homerun [1 point per point the team scores the night you watch the game]
* World's Largest Honkey Tonk (Billy Bobs) + Mechanical Bull = Obligatory Tourist Photo [3 points. 5 points if you can get an actual tourist on the bull with you]
* The first Omni in Fort Worth is... [1 point for finding it, 3 points for an admission sticker]
* Watch a UFO landing in downtown on a Wednesday night [1 point per pint glass]

Anyways, just an idea. Let me know what your thoughts are of other ideas/places/activities!

#2 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

35 views and no responses? I suppose I'll make this thing all on my own!

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

LOL!

Show a ticket stub to a FW SYMPHONY concert from 2009. (3 points) and double the points from every year prior.
Show a picture of themselves riding the TARANTULA in mid route (3points) childrens train near Park Place (5points) biggrin.gif
Picture of SAFLY waiving at the children's train during an early evening jog (10 points) Just LOVE doing that.
Show a logged-in recepit for volunteering at the local homeless shelters in FW (8 points!)
TCU Athletics ticket stub 2009 (3 points)
TCU Arts Event (Music, Visual, etc) ticket stub 2009 (3points)
Finish 22 buffalo wings (HOTTEST LEVEL) at Buffalo Bros Wild Wings on Univ. Max. 2 person limit and must be signed by either Jason (Mgr.) or Ed (owner) on the receipt upon completion. (3 points)

Good stuff here. Keep it rollin.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Not sure if you have seen this, but Lobster / Downtownfortworth.com does an annual scavenger hunt of letters from downtown signs. I tried it one year when I lived close enough to bike downtown and it was really fun and cheap entertainment, not to mention good exercise. Using a bicycle definitely made it easier. It will likely take more than one trip downtown to finish, so you may set a time limit and see who in your group can find the most letters in a two hour period, with some kind of prize like a free lunch for the winner. There are discussions on the forum about this if you run a search, there might be some of the past year's contests still available. Here's the last one they have posted on their website:

Link to the Results

If someone felt ambitious, maybe one of our downtown dwellers would consider creating an ongoing scavenger hunt of notable downtown door handles or some kind of significant street-level building features and start a new thread as an ongoing game on the forum. It would probably take me a month just to shoot and upload a picture otherwise I would post the first one.....just thought I throw the idea out there.

#5 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Mar 23 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL!

Show a ticket stub to a FW SYMPHONY concert from 2009. (3 points) and double the points from every year prior.
Show a picture of themselves riding the TARANTULA in mid route (3points) childrens train near Park Place (5points) biggrin.gif
Picture of SAFLY waiving at the children's train during an early evening jog (10 points) Just LOVE doing that.
Show a logged-in recepit for volunteering at the local homeless shelters in FW (8 points!)
Finish 22 buffalo wings (HOTTEST LEVEL) at Buffalo Bros Wild Wings on Univ. Max. 2 person limit and must be signed by either Jason (Mgr.) or Ed (owner) on the receipt upon completion. (3 points)

Love it, thanks for the suggestions. For volunteering at the local homeless shelters in FW, maybe 15 bonus points if you become a burrito bandit for an evening?

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Recyclican @ Mar 23 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (safly @ Mar 23 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL!

Love it, thanks for the suggestions. For volunteering at the local homeless shelters in FW, maybe 15 bonus points if you become a burrito bandit for an evening?

I like that. Or do what my family used to do when we rawked the restaurant biz back in SA. Gather donated plates of food from local food merchants and distribute to a downtown shelter. Great feeling doing GREAT THINGS.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#7 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:47 PM

The City of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth Public Library are sponsoring an on-line Fort Worth architectural scavenger hunt.  (My money is on John Roberts!). Link below if you're interested.

https://www.fortwort...ib-architecture

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 08:26 PM

This was a lot of fun, and more challenging than I expected! Kudos to the library. 

Confident that I got 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11 and 12. Pretty sure I got 2 but not 100% sure. 

4 took a while, I double-checked my guess on Google maps and pretty sure I got it. 

I don’t know what 6 is and it’s driving me up a wall. So distinctive but I don’t know it…

No idea on 9. Looks familiar but can’t place it. I feel like it’s a Sundance building. 

I thought I knew 10, but when I check my guess on Streetview I couldn’t line it up, so no idea on that on either. 

#9 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 08:51 PM

What an awesome idea.  Love it.

Does anyone here remember Shlachter-vs-McKee?  Downtown had such a cool vibe back then.  I've often thought about creating my own scavenger hunt but without the prize.  

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 April 2023 - 09:41 PM

I didn't officially enter, and I have not checked my work against Google Maps, but I think I got them all.  If it wasn't late, I would write them down and then check them.  Unfortunately, I have a busy day tomorrow, so I may have to try this after work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users