• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 January 2024 - 03:00 PM

Could have posted this in the city issues thread, but it is an urban design thing.  Driving on West Seventh in the Crockett Row area (or whatever it's called these days), more than once I've had to gently swerve my car to avoid going over the concrete mounds that are partially in the main thoroughfare in order to separate the thoroughfare from new bike lanes.  The mounds have dirt and plants on them.  My concern is that some careless motorist will--eventually--run over a mound and cause an accident.  This might more likely happen at night when it's harder to see the roadway.  In the Crockett Row area, it might also happen on account of an intoxicated motorist.  It's not a major issue in the scheme of things.  But does anyone share my concern?

#2 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 03:40 PM

I don't intend this to sound overly blunt but I am of the belief if you are driving a multi-ton vehicle you should travel at a speed you can control and be aware of your surroundings.

I believe part of the "mounds" purpose is to act as traffic calming devices, to encourage people to slow their speed and move more deliberately rather than zoning out as their cruise by at 45mph+

#3 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 07:58 PM

Are you talking about these? I would maybe like to see the curbs painted a yellow to increase visibility but it does seem sort of like a wasted space, maybe it protects the bike lane?

zyzvt6C.jpg

This section of E. Lamar at the Arlington Roosevelt Commons is one of my favorite new examples of urban, walkable, drivable, boulevards done right, especially traffic calming in a stretch that traditionally would have resisted calming but certainly benefits from it now.
https://maps.app.goo...DKi6Ze9?g_st=ic

QrlaBbV.jpg

BjhdGBd.jpg

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 12 January 2024 - 07:06 AM

Yes.  I agree they should be painted yellow for greater visibility, particularly at night.

#5 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 08:59 AM

Yes.  I agree they should be painted yellow for greater visibility, particularly at night.

I wonder how many busted tires, control arms and oil pans those curbs will take out?  We can't prevent people from being negligent but you can tell by the number of tire marks these get hit often.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:20 PM

Alright yall know Im a big fan of any traffic calming/pedestrian friendly design, but Ill make one complaint about 7ths redesign. The new medians mean you cant escape when the FWWR train does its thing at the crossing. Well, you cant escape if you drive a small car like me 🤣 gotten caught up in it a few times recently and just been stuck. Before Id do a U-turn and head to white settlement or Lancaster. Now, that ability is reserved for those in SUVs or Trucks with more ground clearance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users