25 replies to this topic

#1 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Cane Rosso to move into the Ryan's Grocery location: http://dallas.cultur...h-ryans-grocer/

That was fast.

My blog: Doohickie

#2 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Awesome!

#3 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'd totally ride up from Austin just for dinner there.  Sorry about the grocery, but this place is crazy good.  Terrific addition to Magnolia.

#4 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Magnolia already has plenty of Italian (including flat pizza if that's your thing.) But still no dessert places. Gelato/yougurt/ice cream shop anyone? Please??!!! After eating at all these yummy places I sure could go for a little walk and get some ice cream!

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

This is one of my favorite pizzas.  It will be nice to have them in the neighborhood.  Volare, I agree with you.  Magnolia needs some ice cream.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

The Italian place I work at use to be an Ice Cream shop, but it went out of business so the Italian placed moved in. Obviously we didn't serve Ice Cream anymore, but there was so much demand that we started serving it again. 

So if you want Italian and Ice Cream come to Napolis in Mansfield!

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

Cane Rosso to move into the Ryan's Grocery location: http://dallas.cultur...h-ryans-grocer/

That was fast.

Very. 

But in terms of urban development, that's always GOOD thing. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

This is one of my favorite pizzas.  It will be nice to have them in the neighborhood.  Volare, I agree with you.  Magnolia needs some ice cream.

Have you been to Shaw's Burgers & Shakes? Killer milk shakes, old fashion style.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

This should be a great addition.  I've heard great things about Cane Rosso.  I'm pretty sure it's been on Diner, Drive Ins, and Dives (I'm sure that will be a mark against it for some).

Magnolia already has plenty of Italian (including flat pizza if that's your thing.) But still no dessert places. Gelato/yougurt/ice cream shop anyone? Please??!!! After eating at all these yummy places I sure could go for a little walk and get some ice cream!

Not from a place that's specifically serving dessert, but the cappucinno pie at Yucatan Taco Stand is one of my favorite desserts in the world.

Have you been to Shaw's Burgers & Shakes? Killer milk shakes, old fashion style.

I have.  It's pretty good as far as burgers go and I hear very little buzz about it.

#10 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, I know there are lots of places that have dessert, and one could just get dessert at whatever place you are already at. But I do like to go for a stroll on a summer night and then stop in for some frozen goodness. And since in most places in this town you can't toss a ball without hitting a fro-yo, ice cream, or gellato place, it's incredible to me that there is NOTHING on Magonlia in the dessert realm. I mean look at W7th or even Berry/University. I think both have at least 3 places within about 100 yards.

#11 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Lili's has some sweet deserts...

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

This should be a great addition.  I've heard great things about Cane Rosso.  I'm pretty sure it's been on Diner, Drive Ins, and Dives (I'm sure that will be a mark against it for some).

Not from a place that's specifically serving dessert, but the cappucinno pie at Yucatan Taco Stand is one of my favorite desserts in the world.

I have.  It's pretty good as far as burgers go and I hear very little buzz about it.

I actually reviewed them on my blog (when I was still doing that) and gave them bad marks.  At the time, I felt they were too expensive for what I was getting.  Of course now you pay up to $12 for a burger and don't complain, so there ya go.  I'm just too tight fisted I guess.  Maybe we should go to Shaw's for our lunch next Friday and show them a little love.

#13 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Doohickie, I was sorry to see you cap the well on your blog. I often referred to it for ideas when I found myself with an opportunity to go out and try something new.

Back on topic - I wonder how much ice cream you'd have to sell to pay what must be steadily higher leases on Mag these days. Of course, there are ice cream shops in high-lease areas so it can work.

If I find myself drowning in cash flow - and after I buy every available historic structure on Samuels and probably the old power plant - I might make a go at a broader "after dinner" concept. Coffee house with a more full-on dessert menu than the tack-on muffin and pastry selection they often have. Homemade ice cream? Sure. And fresh pastries and muffins and such - some made when you order if you are in the mood to wait for fresh-baked awesomeness. Maybe a selection of fresh-roasted walnuts and pecans. And homemade salted caramel while you wait.

We'll be open late. I mean, if you stay til close at one of the local eateries, you should still be able to swing by for some dessert, right? And the staff at those places may want to stop by and unwind, so tip them well. Bring your guitar or other musical instrument, relax and serenade the locals on our roof-top patio into the wee hours. Yeah.

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Two words:  Soda Fountain.  I think you could make that the draw in a place like that.  It would give the place a certain buzz.

#15 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Very interesting - thanks for the link. I think we can make that work. Come on, Powerball!

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

There's that short-lived lemonade stand on the north side of Magnolia; it would be a good location.

#17 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Finally, a Near Southside dessert place! Not quite on Magnolia, but it'll work:

http://dallas.eater....-cream-shop.php

#18 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Now Open!

http://ilcanerosso.com/

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

I just found out from my friends on Facebook that it has opened.  I thought it was going to be this weekend.  Anyway, I had pizza for lunch and I also found out about the opening after I had leftover stew for dinner.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

A friend of mine went to a preview over the weekend and said it was outstanding.

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

I've been to Times Ten Cellars when they were serving it a few times, and I always thought it was very good.

#22 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Now for the Zio Carlo's death watch...

#23 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I really, really hope that doesn't happen - I do not plan on visiting Cane Rosso, when Zio Carlo has great pizza (including vegan-friendly for me), fantastic beer, a great warm and welcoming vibe, and is locally owned by a great team of people (it's one of my favorite places, ever since Austin & company took it over).

That scenario would really be a huge "jump the shark" moment for Magnolia, for me.

--

Kara B.

#24 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

That's two Dallas pizza places making the jump to Funkytown recently.  If I'd been choosing, I would've selected Eno's & Louie's. 

#25 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Now for the Zio Carlo's death watch...

Carlo's is a craft beer bar with some food on the side. Totally different concept. Not sure what Cane Rosso will be like, but Zio's has always been a "Cheers" kind of neighborhood place where you walk in and know a few people (and I don't even live in the neighborhood). I think Cane Rosso will be more of a come in, sit down, eat some pizza, and leave, kind of place.

#26 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

I certainly wish nothing but the best for Zio's and the employees there. I enjoy visiting there on occasion and appreciate what they are doing with the craft beers and neopolitan style pizza.

It's disappointing that Cane Rosso would move in just blocks away instead of going somewhere like W7th where they could have that same market to themselves. Magnolia has a incredible amount of Italian food. Sure could use some BBQ though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users