• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mattaken

mattaken

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Reading, the great outdoors, and the history of this, our fair city.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

If anyone is a long-time fan of Dos Gringos on University, they've noticed that the view from the front windows has certainly improved over the years. I recall eating there - oh, about 15 years ago - and looking across the street at the spot where the Modern stands today. I recall a series of drab, red brick buildings - was that an old apartment complex? Does anyone know when those buildings were constructed? It seems like they were pretty old.

But then, the older I get, the more subjective the word "old" becomes.....

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

The Loring Hotel was right at the corner of Camp Bowie and University. Someone else will have to remind me of what was behind that.

#3 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

There was an old school bldg that ended up being the administration office on the corner of University and Lancaster. As I remember it was a pretty good size campus, so I don't think there was anything between it and Loring. There were some apartments on the other side (west side?) of the Loring, or were they part of it, hmmm. I don't thinkso, I think they were separate, but sure couldn't tell you the name of them.

#4 gotutex

gotutex
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(mattaken @ Mar 30 2006, 10:26 PM) View Post

If anyone is a long-time fan of Dos Gringos on University, they've noticed that the view from the front windows has certainly improved over the years. I recall eating there - oh, about 15 years ago - and looking across the street at the spot where the Modern stands today. I recall a series of drab, red brick buildings - was that an old apartment complex? Does anyone know when those buildings were constructed? It seems like they were pretty old.

But then, the older I get, the more subjective the word "old" becomes.....

Behind (southwest of) the old hotel at the corner of University and Camp Bowie was a complex of two-story apartment buildings. That's how I remember it.

#5 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

The drab red brick buildings were mostly Fort Worth ISD admin buildings. I dont recall what else was there.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

The block bounded by Darnell, University, Lancaster, and Arch Adams housed various buildings for the Fort Worth Independent School District. These included a former administration building and the old Van Zandt School. This was an early FWISD historic school building that was demolished in the 1980's, I think. On the block where the Modern actually sits was the old apartment complex. These were two story brick buildings and were fairly nice up until their demolition for the Modern. They were definitely historic, but had no protection, so they were demolished. At the corner of University and Camp Bowie was the Loring Hotel, another building that could have qualified for historic status.

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Apr 2 2006, 01:02 AM) View Post

At the corner of University and Camp Bowie was the Loring Hotel, another building that could have qualified for historic status.

John, I looked around but couldn't find a photo of the Loring. I seem to remember that it was a sort of toned-down art-deco building, maybe bordering on modern a la late 1920's. I could be wrong, it has been some time since it was there and longer since I took a close look at it. Didn't it once sport a sign advertising it was air conditioned? It may have ben one of the first hotels in town to be able to make that claim.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

The Loring Hotel was constructed in 1949, that would probably make it a "Modern" building. I do believe it had some elements left over from the Art Deco period. You are correct about the sign. It advertised that the hotel was air conditioned.

#9 ceastman

ceastman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:59 PM

The Parkview Apartments were there as well. They were red brick.  

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 09:25 PM

Both the Loring Hotel and the Parkview Apartments were on the site of the Modern Art Museum.  RD, now UTA Library has their photos online, so here are a couple of links to the Loring Hotel photos.

The first photo is an overall view of the building:

https://library.uta....ew/10009496.jpg

The second photo is one of the entrance with a close up of the "Air Conditioned" signs. 

https://library.uta....ew/10009499.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users