#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

I have happened to notice that this year the number of forum posts, threads, and commentary seems to be dwindling.  Even though there were a few comments on the thread, over the last couple of years, we had a tall office building under construction in downtown, yet it seemed as if only the photo posters updated the thread.  I was a little disappointed in the response to the Frost Tower thread. 

I would like to encourage everyone to start replying to these topics again. 

Another question, has this forum run its course, and is everyone discussing Fort Worth architecture in social media circles? 

#2 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

I'm relatively new to the forum but I very appreciate the space. It's a great way to know what's upcoming as well as feel out ideas from fellow posters.

Uploading photos or images has been more difficult that I'd like but I understand that's a function of how the board works and that's limited some of what I've been able to post, question, or comment upon over the last couple of months.

I hope to see the forum continue.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

There are a few issues with posting photographs, but that has always been a problem here on this and other forums.  However, I am sure that it will continue and from time to time, I have to urge people to post more regularly.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

I have happened to notice that this year the number of forum posts, threads, and commentary seems to be dwindling.  Even though there were a few comments on the thread, over the last couple of years, we had a tall office building under construction in downtown, yet it seemed as if only the photo posters updated the thread.  I was a little disappointed in the response to the Frost Tower thread. 

I would like to encourage everyone to start replying to these topics again. 

Another question, has this forum run its course, and is everyone discussing Fort Worth architecture in social media circles? 

JTR, I been on the Forum long enough to remember when in the past you urged more commentary; it was a request that I enthusiastically embraced unitl recently.

I too have noticed the shrinking amount of commentary. What I have noticed is a "twitterization" (is that a work?) of commentary <140 characters on almost every subject in lue of full throat debate.   Only recently have I noticed a team of self appointed guards that is quick to squelch intense debate by publicly scolding one side of a debate; something that I cannot remember happening in years gone by.  Reading all posts is a thing that I do as a matter of fact. Commenting upon or liking posts was also a thing that I did as a matter of fact;, however, they are things that I don't do so readily now.

The Fort Worth Forum is as good as any of its kind.  For a city of our size, it has a popularity and participatory rate that is the envy of its peers.  We live in a time when debates are avoided;and when quick, micro blurbs are rewarded (Trumpism) and deemed witty.  The FWF just may be a victim of our times.  For certain, I will remain a lover of the FWF and will be that "last person left who turns-off the lights".

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

I won't turn off the lights, either.  I do want to thank all of those who have hung around over the years for staying around.

#6 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

I enjoy this forum as well. to me its a more organised social media focused on 2 or 3 subjects, rather that what facebook and twitter currently are. I must admit I know next to nothing about architecture or design, or anything closely related, so I am not too active in responses, sadly. I do read past discussions and debates, though. I check the forums probably 2 -3 times a day. I prefer this over facebook and twitter combined,

#7 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:52 PM

Additionally I feel like I learn from here. I do like to see what is being proposed and built in the city.

#8 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

I wonder what sort of changes Haif has experienced. I know that site has been managed differently over the years, and surly has see a similar ebb and flow. After 15 years of following Houston, Fort Worth and Dallas, I've pretty much aged out of keeping track of stuff in Houston.

The dialog at dfwu has changed over the years, too, and the intensity is less than might be expected at times. I'm not really sure churn is delivering fewer followers to discussion forums, I suspect that transfer is pretty stable, and the highlights of forums discussion is easily monitored on social media, but any regular to social media comments section understands the content and sincerity cannot be reached by that platform. 

The format of discussion forums is old and out of style, but it's perfect for the level of commitment a participant may have to the topic. I think the inherent qualities of mobile devices is the main cause of diminished forums participation, specifically mobile device users are constantly interrupted, and it's difficult to type content that scratched deeper than the surface. 

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

....I think the inherent qualities of mobile devices is the main cause of diminished forums participation, specifically mobile device users are constantly interrupted, and it's difficult to type content that scratched deeper than the surface. 

Good insight.

There is probably a correlation between the size of the device that you use and the length/size of your commentary.  While technology has produced efficiency and the ability for rapid spontaneity, that same technology tends to limit the spaces for making broader commentary.

Technology allows me to have a quick view of what is trending on the FWF whenever I am mobile; however, older technology (laptops/desk tops) provides an easier format to post more frequently and more broadly.

#10 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

^It's, like, totally, - I can think in paragraphs with ten fingers on standard keyboard and I can think in quips with thumbs on a mobile computer screen.

The display is totally different, too, and I know there's tons of science used to maximize proprietor profit shaping the display appearance of apps on a mobile device, this changes the interaction. The underlying desire is there and I doubt it's waned any at all. 

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

A few years ago another forum I love nearly died when the members nearly all migrated to AIM. With AIM dead it picked back up.

I try to mention the forum from time to time on my social accounts. Hopefully I can have a discussion continuing and convince other (like txbornviking) to stop by.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Forum activity seems to go through cycles with a lot of peaks and valleys.  Social media certainly has an impact and I've seen it kill off plenty of writing and original content platforms.  I prefer quality of content over quantity of content anytime and I don't feel like the quality of discussion has suffered all that much.

#13 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

I promise once I finish unpacking the number of posts will be back to normal.  ;)

My blog: Doohickie

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

Participation also comes and goes.  Doohickie, I'm going to hold you to it.

I do think that the size of the device does have a bearing on what is posted and replied.  When I'm on my phone, I do tend to be brief and not offer much commentary.  When I'm on a computer, I am more wordy.

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

I'm less likely to type out a lengthy reply on my phone, but I try to remember to jump on another device when I can to reply.  I don't always remember.

#16 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

I like posting my ideas here.   But I cannot always engage in conversational-type exchanges for lack of time on account of pressing professional obligations.  And the fact that I don't have Internet at home and the Forum is not easily accessible using my I-phone.

Before I joined the Forum I was posting comments on media websites where I experienced what I term “trashy” exchanges.  Little, if any, of that occurs here.

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

I try to keep the "trashy" talk controlled as much as I can, but I also don't want to stifle opinions. When the conversations get personal, that's when I draw the line.

#18 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

I'm ok with those who disagree with me. But when it gets personal that is stepping over my line as well. But I think the subject matter is the biggest force that drives commentary. For example. I think I am just about the only one who supports Fort Worth annexation. I made my views known. But being the lone or very few on the pro side. What is the point saying the same thing over and over again ? But if a subject is about 50/50 that seems to drive commentary. 

And the simple fact. That a lack of (big) projects in Fort Worth does not help. TRV is big, but not much to talk about on a day to day basis. We are hoping some big HQ will announce something on Panther Island someday.(Not talking about Amazon) I remember when Pier One was announced. That was very big news. Because it was the first office building in twenty years in Fort Worth or Dallas. Then Frost was announced not much excitement for that taller building ? Are 20 25 story buildings not that exciting anymore ?  I wonder what were we talking about during those 20 years between building booms ? I honestly can't remember ? But if last years Fort Worth economic report does bear fruit. It will take a while before that translate to new 30 40 60 story office buildings. If any ?

Maybe we could focus more outside downtown ? I know we do already. But I am talking about really focus on all areas of Fort Worth ? Maybe pick a area and ask everyone to comment on it. Then move on to another area. Even if you not been to that area in a long time or ever. Even if you have no ties to a certain area of Fort Worth you can always ask and maybe learn something new ? Well just a thought ? 

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:32 PM

And the simple fact. That a lack of (big) projects in Fort Worth does not help. TRV is big, but not much to talk about on a day to day basis. We are hoping some big HQ will announce something on Panther Island someday.(Not talking about Amazon) I remember when Pier One was announced. That was very big news. Because it was the first office building in twenty years in Fort Worth or Dallas. Then Frost was announced not much excitement for that taller building ? Are 20 25 story buildings not that exciting anymore ?  I wonder what were we talking about during those 20 years between building booms ? I honestly can't remember ? But if last years Fort Worth economic report does bear fruit. It will take a while before that translate to new 30 40 60 story office buildings. If any ?

Definitely is surprising, we have 3 buildings right now threatening the top 10 tallest (Frost, Worth, 901) and one recently completed just outside (River Tower). 
Since 1997 when the forum started there have only been 3 buildings over 200 ft go up before those 4 above (Pier 1, Omni, and Carnegie) 

We've also got Dickies Arena going up at the moment which is quite a big deal. 

And then we've got dozens of smaller projects that are still quite sizable, especially in the form of large apartment blocks going up around.

Basically, I don't feel like were in a bust period at the moment, quite the opposite. 

Maybe we could focus more outside downtown ? I know we do already. But I am talking about really focus on all areas of Fort Worth ? Maybe pick a area and ask everyone to comment on it. Then move on to another area. Even if you not been to that area in a long time or ever. Even if you have no ties to a certain area of Fort Worth you can always ask and maybe learn something new ? Well just a thought ? 

I agree. Downtown is just so convenient to talk about because A. It's the middle of things and B. It's easy to get around and look around in depth on foot. C. The forum members are fairly dispersed around town. I'd like to see more discussion from all over but often don't know where to begin.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

I will try to start threads on new projects outside of downtown when I hear about them.  Also, we do have several projects that are nearing completion on the Near Southside that if our photographers get out and photograph them, that will spur some more discussion.  I'm just waiting for the construction fences to clear away on some of them.

#21 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

I am active on 4 forums for my different interests and I can vouch that they all suffer from a lack of traffic. This same topic is one of the most active threads on a railroad preservation forum, questioning whether the forum serves a purpose anymore. I'm not sure whether to place the blame on facebook or what, but the difference in participation in the last few years is very apparent.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#22 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Where did I say Fort Worth was in a bust period ? Hmmm ?  But when I say outside downtown I mean way way out of downtown. Like South Riverside and Berry. I remember shopping at Montgomery Wards after my dad got off work at A Brandt.  Now that area has seen a lot of good and bad change over the years. What good or bad is going on in deep Southwest Fort Worth ? Like I remember Las Vegas Trail was a nice area about 30 years ago. When I went to Church groups and stuff. And I must admit I haven't been in that area in almost ten years. And I hear it is rundown . And the city is trying to turn that area back around. Like does any member know and maybe grew up in that area ?  What can they tell us what it was like ?

I grew up in downtown. My closest ties to Fort Worth is downtown. I will always love downtown. As many multi generations of Fort Worthians like me know. We all have those black and white "Walking pictures" of our parents and grandparents walking downtown from the 40s and 50s. But I also have childhood memories well beyond downtown as well. Maybe talking about other areas will be of interest to long and not so long Fort Worth residents ? Like I said just a idea.

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

I will do what I can to keep the discussions fresh and interesting, and I will bring up more projects.  One other interesting things to note is also how people's lives change.  Mine has not changed dramatically, but just slightly.  I still live in the same location, but my work location changed.  My office was located on West Vickery, east of Hulen.  It was close to home and centrally located.  I could just about go anywhere in the center of the city for lunch and photograph a building or two and eat.  I also was out of the office quite a bit during the day.  In late 2011, we relocated to the old Levitz Warehouse at 6913 Camp Bowie.  Out here, I still have time to go home for lunch, but it needs to be ready, or otherwise, my lunch hour is long.  I have also found out that it takes longer to get anywhere in the ciey, except on the far West Side.  It is real hard to drive to a location, take pictures, and eat lunch within an hour.  Things have changed within the office, as well, and I only get out of the office about once every three months.  Summing all of this up, I'm posting about projects less because I am not exploring the city as much.  My little changes have made some difference in what I see around town.

#24 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

I need to try to post more. I still live in uptown, or whatever it's being called now. I am required to do social media for my job, so I sometimes I'm not in the mood to try to write my thoughts in a coherent way when I get home. Right now I'm still on the board for the Downtown Neighborhood Alliance (DNA), and I'm the volunteer manager for the Parade of Lights and Main St. Arts Festival. That means I do hear some interesting bits about downtown. However, a lot of you folks post that information before I get around to it.  :laugh:
At our last DNA event, Johnny Campbell spoke. The main thing I took away from that speech was that they are slow-rolling on projects until they have a better idea what the economy is going to do. Kind of like me dragging out my retirement until I think I can afford it.

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

I am active on 4 forums for my different interests and I can vouch that they all suffer from a lack of traffic. This same topic is one of the most active threads on a railroad preservation forum, questioning whether the forum serves a purpose anymore. I'm not sure whether to place the blame on facebook or what, but the difference in participation in the last few years is very apparent.

I would be very sad if this Forum was discontinued because it appears to be the only one I know of that focuses on Fort Worth.  Our city, in the shadow of Big D, is not considered the center of much of anything in this part of Texas.  And there's little said about our city as it is.  The Star-Telegram is now mostly the Dallas Morning News.  We have the Business Press magazine and Fort Worth Weekly, but the breadth of their readership is not remarkable.

As to Facebook, it is social media more than a venue for ideas and comments about Fort Worth developments.

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

My posting has been down the last couple of weeks due to a deadline at the office.  It is Friday, so after that, I should be responding to threads more often.  However, I do have some things to catch up on at the house, so I may not be as active as I should be until Monday.  In addition to all of this, I have a flat on my truck that I need to get changed.  It's time for a new set of tires, so over the weekend, I will be purchasing some.

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

I was on vacation last week and spent the few weeks before that extremely busy at home and work. 

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

My posting has been down the last couple of weeks due to a deadline at the office.  It is Friday, so after that, I should be responding to threads more often....

Happy to report that the FWF is alive and strong.  Lots of  new information about current and possible happenings as well as lots of healthy interest there in.

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

I read the forum every day.  If I don't get to do it until late, I usually don't post. 

#30 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:21 AM

I have noticed that a period of time goes by when we are missing the "old timers."  Then someone may post something that interests one of them and they come back.  In other words, Forum members may be gone for awhile but still active and may come back to post an opinion.

An additional thought, please don't take offense.  It could be true, too, that if only the same few are constantly posting, the others may feel compelled to take a "back seat" to conversation.  Analogy here:  If you're at a party and there's a group of close-knit talkers, an outsider may feel the group is "exclusive" and not want to take an active part in the discussion.  Just a thought from someone who used to be shy at a party.

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

.....An additional thought, please don't take offense.  It could be true, too, that if only the same few are constantly posting, the others may feel compelled to take a "back seat" to conversation.  Analogy here:  If you're at a party and there's a group of close-knit talkers, an outsider may feel the group is "exclusive" and not want to take an active part in the discussion.  Just a thought from someone who used to be shy at a party.

Whut? :unsure:

#32 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

For me my forum activity is based on any developing news. I think I get burned out by trying to respond when the activity of projects seems to come to a grinding halt or when the city takes forever to approve a project. I get excited about announced projects but most don’t seem to happen or they take years to come to fruition. When something does happen and a project moves forward my participation in discussions increases. I will try my best to keep more active.

#33 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

This forum is an incredibly interesting way to listen to the heartbeat of the city; and I have visited to read almost every day for many years.  I've wanted to comment on things, but I just could not manage to get through the registration process -- I think that my email was just eating the registration email without even telling me it was spam.  But finally John helped me through manually.

There have been times when certain topics have made me want to post, because my office is right in the middle of downtown and I watched the construction of the Plaza out my window.  And the talk of the awesome mid-century building at 915 Houston -- we were interested in that building, had inspectors come in to help us assess a proper offer -- someone else got the building (and sadly just kind of took it apart a little more, made some renderings of what it would be like as a restaurant, and put it back up for sale).

I'm very interested in the history, the architecture, the planning, and the future of this city, and I'm sure we can figure out how to keep a vibrant set of threads going.

As far as the Sinclair building next door to me, when we came in yesterday morning, all five of the skylights had been boarded over to protect them -- so no more interesting picture for a while.

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

Roverone, thanks for posting the pictures, and I'm sorry the skylights have been boarded.  You can always go out on the street and provide us updates.  However, I'm in downtown quite a bit, so I will be providing some photos, as well. 

It also looks like that I will be only adding new members by request for a while, since the first generation of iCAPTCHA is no longer functional.  This forum uses that to screen new members.  However, I can't upgrade the forum due to host issues.  I should find a new host for my website.  Right now, I don't have the time to transfer it, due to work and some personal issues.

#35 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

No doubt -- I will post more pictures from the alley -- they just won't have the same perspective.  We're in the process of re-routing our copper and fiber connections in the alley to change from crossing from the back wall of the Woolworth building to the Jarvis building via a utility building to crossing in new underground conduits that pass under the alley.  This is just in case that alley is opened up.

So I'm back there in the alley checking on that from time to time.

I can review my old content from past architectural events and post some links to give everyone more to look at.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

Please post more, even from different locations.  Also, I'm sure some of us would like to see the links.

#37 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:04 AM

I think this forum is in vogue with the trend, which is to have a separate identity within or apart from Facebook (or Twitter or Instagram, etc.).  For example, I'm among many local attorneys who participate in a Facebook-based forum called "Tarrant County Lawyers" (catchy title, eh?), but its membership is exclusive to lawyers.  In contrast the Fort Worth Forum is inclusive to whoever wants to join and participate responsibly.

#38 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

That's just a rule you imposed on the group, not anything unique about the FB platform.

#39 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

That's just a rule you imposed on the group, not anything unique about the FB platform.

If you are referring to the Tarrant County Lawyers group within FB, you are correct.  The rules of that group made it exclusive to lawyers and, I believe, only to those located in our county.  But I like this Forum because of its universal participation.

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Even though this forum is geared toward architecture, you don't have to be an architect to post here, and the subject matter really does include other things pertaining to the city.  The subject matter is very broad and it was intended to be that way.

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

This has been a sad week on the forum. One historic demolition started (Champion Springs), another maybe pending (Ellis Pecan) and news of the tower at 1,000 Weatherford being cut out.

Let's hope for some good news in the future.

#42 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

When I read the first sentence of your post, I thought at first you were talking about the Forum itself.  Of course this Forum has witnessed good news and bad news for Fort Worth over the years.

A bit of thought about "slow downs" in Forum discussion.  I believe it was JBB who noted (Post #12) that the Forum goes through "cycles with a lot of peaks and valleys."  Obviously discussion picks up when major economic development projects for Fort Worth are reported in the news media.  Like the proposed 30-story The Worth tower.  I've also noted that when we're bereft of major Fort Worth news some of our posters start threads on what I call "fringe topics."  Nothing wrong with that.  It keeps the discussion going.

• JBB likes this

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

Johnfwd, those are very good observations.  Thanks for posting.

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

Very good points, indeed.  It's worth noting that this is not exclusive to this community.  When social media use and exposure began to increase, traffic at a number of message boards/forums that I frequent dropped significantly.

#45 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

This phenomenon you have described is somewhat like "shrinking market share" that the broadcast networks experienced with the advent of cable television and the Internet.

#46 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

I've also noted that when we're bereft of major Fort Worth news some of our posters start threads on what I call "fringe topics."  Nothing wrong with that.  It keeps the discussion going.

See, so my posts about Buffalo, NY, serve a purpose.  :)

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

Keep posting about Buffalo.  I like hearing information on other cities. 

#48 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

Buffalo is also a good "compare and contrast" kind of city.  It's complementary to Fort Worth, in terms of older city versus newer, booming city versus rustbelt (Buffalo is *still* losing population, even with their resurgence), comparing restorations, etc.

#49 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

If you all have been wondering why I haven't posted much in the last week, the day after our forum meeting, I came down with a terrible summer cold.  It started Saturday in my chest and moved into my throat on Sunday.  By Monday morning, it was in my nose and sinuses.  I did not go to work until Thursday, and still was feeling pretty bad all the way through Friday.  Yesterday, I did not feel well, so I stayed at home, as well.  I'm feeling a little better today, but I'm still not feeling all that great.  If my recovery is as slow as it has been this week, it will probably take me a month to be back to normal.

#50 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

Keep posting about Buffalo.  I like hearing information on other cities. 

Agreed.  Buffalo seems to have a lot of interesting architecture.  It certainly has great history.  Seems like a place an entrepreneur could build a solid small business.  If one can stand the cold winters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users