#51 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

OK, Dcurtis, what type of signage would you recommend for the building, and where would you place it?

#52 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 30 2008, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, Dcurtis, what type of signage would you recommend for the building, and where would you place it?

That's a tough one for me, because I think the redo is so awful. I don't think I would go very flashy. But I would definitely place it on that horrible exposed brick, proabably against it to draw your attention away from it. I really would have to get a good look at the entrace on the bottom to really get an idea of what type of signage should go there. But to be honest, with that cheap facade, you might as well just put "Sheraton Fort Worth" on a big tall metal pole. That seems to fit the look.

#53 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like standard Sherton logos nothing wrong them.

#54 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

This likely won't change any minds; but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there are several buildings in downtown Austin done up like the Fort Worth Sheraton. And they spice up the skyline in a good and interesting way, at least for me. It's just different from anything seen in North Texas. So everbody have a margarita and chill and let the color in... By the way, how 'bout a FWF paint party to turn those brown brick sides into a fabulous shade of pink...

#55 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

The color itself is welcome for me, but the remaining red brick is the dealbreaker.

#56 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (JBB @ Jan 31 2008, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The color itself is welcome for me, but the remaining red brick is the dealbreaker.

Ditto. The rendering looks ok, but the actual color of the brick is different than what appears in the rendering. It looks like two different building styles spliced together. Not good.

But at least it's in a highly visible prominent location. rolleyes.gif

#57 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:51 AM

When I realized what they were doing style-wise, I wasn't sure what to think. But as they proceeded, it really grew on me and I decided this hotel was going to look really sharp. Of course, I fully expected the bricks to be re-surfaced/painted to match. As the buildings stand right now, I agree with everyone that they look bad. Very unfinished looking.

I hope they have plans to do something with the brick. If not, hopefully they will change their minds in time... It is not quite an eyesore in my opinion (pre-renovation is a different story...), but not doing something about the brick casts a huge shadow over all the good renovation work that has been done.

#58 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (cberen1 @ Feb 1 2008, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks like two different building styles spliced together. Not good.

They can just say it was designed by a famous European starchitect and say it's deconstructionist! smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#59 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

The last picture posted from the northwest really doesn't do it justice. Unless something changes soon, it looks like the south face of the south tower will have a striped-look with the yellow facade and the original brick.

#60 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

Hmm... Not the best color choice to my taste, but I'll adapt. As for the bricks on the side. It doesn't even phase me.

#61 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

The brick color and the the new paint colors do not go together. Hopefully someone will tell the powers to be so that the bricks can also be painted. Somebody making decisions either is color blind or has no taste.

#62 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Big Frog II @ Feb 1 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The brick color and the the new paint colors do not go together. Hopefully someone will tell the powers to be so that the bricks can also be painted. Somebody making decisions either is color blind or has no taste.

I think it looks fine... then again - I am color blind. blush.gif

#63 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

It reminds me of some 1960's government housing project. I hope this is not the final look.

#64 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (Big Frog II @ Feb 1 2008, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Somebody making decisions either is color blind or has no taste.

Or, knowing the history of this project, short on money.

#65 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

As stated in my previous post, I think the new look is fantastic. One of the nicest looking buildings in the metroplex.

As it has stirred up plenty of opinion, mostly negative, I would like to post a few hours old pic. It appears they are taking the brick off of the north side (The ONLY probem I have with the building). It could be they are just taking part of the brick off, but even that would sure look better. Also note the progress on the buildings to the West.

My "hats off" to the entire project. I love it. I wish I had a pic handy of what the building looked like a year ago. Now that was ugly.

www.fortworthview.com

#66 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Feb 2 2008, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As it has stirred up plenty of opinion, mostly negative, I would like to post a few hours old pic. It appears they are taking the brick off of the north side (The ONLY probem I have with the building). It could be they are just taking part of the brick off, but even that would sure look better. Also note the progress on the buildings to the West.

Maybe the developer checked out this forum, seen the bad comments, and ordered the crew to touch it up a tad? Ya never know??? lol tongue.gif

#67 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

My problem isn't only with the brick, it's with everything. It's just looks incredibly cheaply done to me. And those colors scream roadside budget inn to me. This never was an attractive hotel and to make it so would require an imaginative, well done facade. This is neither. Plus this facade doesn't look like it will age well at all. The whole thing screams redo on a (small) budget.

#68 JimmyR

JimmyR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

Here's my two cents worth. I thought the design that Ramada originally had, with the glass over the roof covering the elevator penthouse looked good. This new design stinks. All i see now in my mind is demolition in the future for the hotel. I have many fond memories with the hotel, with my mom, late father and I staying there from the Hilton days to the Ramada days. It just looks like they put more thought into saving money than they did in the design.

I dislike the fact they took away the balconies. I loved those as a kid, sitting out the hotel room, enjoying the FW sunrise/sunset (depending on the side of the building I was staying at that particular time) and I use to try to look for the Will Rogers Tower, which I was able to see one year when we stayed on the 12th floor.

Also, why did they take out the escalators several years ago? I remember hearing those clang and clatter as I would walk to the elevator to go to my room. As far as the indoor swimming pool? Is it gone? I haven't heard anything mentioning it. I remember going down the long hall behind the front desk to the pool entrance. I thought it was cool getting to walk bare feet on the carpet as a kid. I also have memories of walking through the sliding doors in the main entrance, and as I walk to my left to head to the front desk, I remember the smell of chlorine from the pool.

I have many memories, and I could just keep going, however I'll relate one more experience then I'll stop lol. The bellman's desk, use to be to the left by the windows right before you entered the main lobby, opposite of the front desk. In 1990, when it was Hilton, I made a friend with one of the bellmen. It was during the evening hours, and I was asking him questions about the hotel, when it was built, etc. He really didn't know much about the building, but i was a kid, and all the people from my church were staying at the hotel, so they were coming and going all evening. I cannot even remember his name. I was just amazed that an adult didn't shoo me as a kid, and actually took the time when I was asking questions about something that interested me.

Jimmy

#69 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

I drove by yesterday to get a better look at the work being done on the north end. It looks like they might be preparing to cover up the brick, but I can't tell for sure. There is scaffolding up around all the brick on the east end of the south tower. There are places on the north end of the building at the lower level where they are clearly covering the brick with the new material.

Maybe they took a look at it and decided to cover up the brick? Hard to tell at this point, but I'm hopeful.

#70 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

I was on the east side of the building on Sunday and I think they are going to be covering the brick. They are currently doing that on the east side of the low rise section of the building. I think the masonry subcontractor put up the scaffolding to repair, repoint, and seal up the existing brick in order to receive the exterior finish system. After that sub completed his work, then another sub will come in and put the finish over the existing brick.

#71 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

thank god they are covering the brick.... That was my only problem with this project... now that it will be covered I think it will end up looking good.

As for CurtisD's comments, it is the Sheraton and the redo suits their style. A look at the two Dallas Sheratons.

#72 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

^^^
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I do know the Sheraton in the top photo is off I-35 near downtown Dallas. (I'm not sure where the other one is) I said the Sheraton in DTFW looks like it should be located off a freeway, which both of those are, so are you agreeing with me? The FW hotel would fit right in with either of those. But actually I like the hotel in the top photo much more than the one in DTFW. Take away the covered entrance, put it on a city block and it would look much better in DTFW than the Sheraton there now, IMO.

#73 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

The other Sheraton is the Sheraton Grand Dallas/Fort Worth Airport on 114.

#74 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

My point is... as a Starwood member and someone who stays in a Sheraton/Westin practically every other week. The DTFW Sheraton is on par with many other downtown Sheratons around this country. It isn't a four or five star hotel but that is not what they were aiming for either. I think it fits just fine and with the brick misunderstanding cleared up I think it is a drastic improvement over what was there prior.

I also think it is ridiculous to say that this is the same quality/appearance as a roadside "Budget Inn".

#75 JimmyR

JimmyR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:16 AM

I always liked the large size rooms the building had, and now they are even larger. I found some views of the Sheraton on Flickr when I did a search for 'downtown fort worth' and 'fort worth water gardens'. I guess I'll have to see it in person to really have a true opinion. How does the back side of the towers look?

Jimmy

#76 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

Sheraton from the Water Gardens. This new look is Very Fresh! I love it!

www.fortworthview.com

#77 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

I like it... It looks like something in Solana...

#78 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

I've noticed today that they have put up some of the signs on the building. They have the "Sheraton" on the west and south sides of the building on top and one smaller sign above the entry on the east side.

#79 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jun 12 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've noticed today that they have put up some of the signs on the building. They have the "Sheraton" on the west and south sides of the building on top and one smaller sign above the entry on the east side.

A distant shot from my balcony, can just see the new big sign.

www.fortworthview.com

#80 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

Monee, I noticed the small sign above the east entry was turned on late this afternoon. Is the large one illuminated yet?

#81 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jun 12 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monee, I noticed the small sign above the east entry was turned on late this afternoon. Is the large one illuminated yet?

No illumination of the sign as of 10pm tonight (June 13) But the first time I have seen it pretty well lit up!

www.fortworthview.com

#82 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

They have now erected the word "Sheraton" on the north side of the south tower and the Sheraton logo is on the east side of the south tower. It appears all of the signs on the upper portions of the towers have been put in place.

#83 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

Here is a before renovation photograph:

Now here are two photos taken yesterday from the west side. The first one matches the before renovation view:

Here's one from the Water Gardens:

#84 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

Great before and after's John! Really puts it into perspective. Not just the changes but how well of a job they did. They turned a really "icky", dated hotel into a great looking, fresh and modern complex. That whole area of downtown has just been given a gift.
www.fortworthview.com

#85 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the before/after angle, John.

It was an ugly building before. Now it's...differently ugly. Looks better than it did, mostly. Those huge, blank expanses of stucco on the ground floor are awful. Not that the huge, blank expanses of concrete and brick were any better, I suppose.

Ground floor looks unfinished - would have thought they'd have matched the color scheme better.

--

Kara B.

#86 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

I wish they had, at a minimum, painted the brick to a complimentary color. At least it would have been uniformly ugly instead of spaztically ugly.

#87 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

I agree about the brick. Leaving the brown brick exposed like that looks terrible.

I'm assuming that the ground floor will be getting signage, lighting, and maybe awnings. Or is that an incorrect assumption?

#88 rsowell73

rsowell73

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

When I was passing by on Hwy 30 yesterday the tower closest to 30 has a different look. Why does it not match the other tower? They are two differnjt color schemes. Even if did match it is still ugly.

#89 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

The brown brick needs to be painted the off white to match. Awnings need to go up over each first floor window. And signs should be placed anywhere there is a large surface area of stucco on the first floor.

#90 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with that complex that some TNT and a bulldozer wouldn't cure. Probably, those are the only cures. And honestly, the old skin looked better than what's there now -- and the old skin was ugly. The new facade will, in 20-30 years, lead to a FW Forum thread along the ones we've had about the 1967 base of the Simpson Building: "What on Earth were they thinking?!"

#91 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

Rsowell73, the original south elevation of the tower nearest I-30 always had a different elevation than the north side of the same building. Those rooms facing I-30 did not have balconies. The windows on that side of the building were tall and narrow. That partially explains why the redone facade is different on that side. I guess I haven't noticed while driving down the freeway, but I thought the color scheme was the same.

#92 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jun 16 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is nothing wrong with that complex that some TNT and a bulldozer wouldn't cure. Probably, those are the only cures. And honestly, the old skin looked better than what's there now -- and the old skin was ugly. The new facade will, in 20-30 years, lead to a FW Forum thread along the ones we've had about the 1967 base of the Simpson Building: "What on Earth were they thinking?!"

I couldn't agree more. I haven't been in that part of DTFW in a while, but that photo is shockingly ugly. The old structure was so ugly, I always thought that renovation was a waste of time and the building(s) were only worthy of teardown. Hopefully in 20-30 years, this "new" hotel won't be there at all.

#93 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

personally, i like it! it is certainly better than what was there.

#94 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

Now we just need somebody to buy up all those parking lots between it and the ITC for a nice infill project. Actually getting around to that whole remove-the-Convention-Center-loading-dock-and-re-straighten-Commerce thing would be good, too.

--

Kara B.

#95 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Jun 17 2008, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now we just need somebody to buy up all those parking lots between it and the ITC for a nice infill project. Actually getting around to that whole remove-the-Convention-Center-loading-dock-and-re-straighten-Commerce thing would be good, too.

That probably won't happen until the new arena in the CD is complete. . . whenever that is.

#96 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

I wonder if a GREEN ROOF on the low-rise parts of the building would help the look somewhat. The color scheme looks very "dry", especially across from the Water Gardens. Maybe some shrubs peeking over the roof rampart and some greenery growing down over the large, empty flat panels would help to soften the harsh lines or provide a "cooling" contrast to the overall look. A garden with bar on the roof might be a nice amenity for guests as well.

#97 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

What a waste of money!

#98 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

Sam, the ground floor is getting awnings at Shula's Grill, the new restaurant inside the hotel. That case is up for this week's Downtown Design Review Board Meeting.

#99 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

Now I like this rebuilt Hotel a lot. But... sure is disappointing when the let the main signs go bad.
(Montgomery Plaza's lighted signs were the worst of the bunch for many months)

If I had a few million tied up into making this place look nice, I would be in a lift chair in this heat with a six pack of bulbs in my pocket. (well, if not in my pocket, handy)

Here is your blurry exhibit. (wind buffeting my lens on the tripod, as well as my building swaying)

www.fortworthview.com

#100 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

I do agree with you Monee. Neon, like the Montgomery Plaza signs, can be tempermental when it is first installed. It looks as if they do have the bugs worked out on the Montgomery Plaza signs.

I'm actually surprised there are letters out in these signs. Monee, I hate to tell you this, but if you bring bulbs with you, they won't work because these signs have LED's on the inside of the letters. That is why I'm surprised. You would think all electronic parts would be more dependable than neon tubes and ballasts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Fort Worth Plaza Hotel, Hotels, Renovation, Hilton Hotel, Ramada Hotel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users