71 replies to this topic

#51 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

So, you were unaware of the history attached to this building.  I would like to be able to overlook one's excuse of being ignorant of the history attached to this build, but regrettably, ignorance of something like this is not a justifiable excuse.

https://hometownbyha...ar.com/?p=12678

I really don't want to disagree with you about your unawareness, but I am of Fort Worth too and once I became aware of its past, it instantly became a tangible brick and mortar symbol of an terrifying era which I hope is never repeated in this City. 

To its credit, Dallas has owned up to the Texas School Depository Building by not transforming it into place which does not prominently acknowledges its sordid past. Dallas took the good with the bad. How could Fort Worth not take the bad with the good in the case of EPB?  Would Fort Worth simply pretend that the bad things that are associate with the building be kept a secret?  As a RE professional, have you ever wonder what has stood in the way of it being redeveloped to this day? I think I can make a pretty good guess.

If it is allowed to remain intact and transformed,  it will be a "pig with lipstick painted on its face" and for me it still will not erase the bad through any good that might arise from this project. 

In the past, my sensitivity towards certain topics have been called "weird" but with all candor, I find any fetish to reconstruct from the original intent of EPB unnervingly weird. Speaking for myself, and possibly others, I would prefer it just be removed from our landscape.

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:30 PM

There are some preservationists who are for the demolition of this building.  Dr. Kathryn Holliday, Professor at UTA, and the director Dillon Center for Texas Architecture has posted an interesting Tweet about demolishing the building.  Below is the link to the Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/...642346170953729

#53 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for posting those tweets.  I am in agreement with them about what should be done with EPB.  Unknowingly,  also thought of some of the same list in Fort Worth that are worthy of being preserved or being repurposed before EPB. 

Seriously, why would we waste money or emotional capital on this specific building that has such a problematic place in the history of Fort Worth. The fact that it stands today nearly a century later is pain in and of itself to extract it from our current awareness.

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:56 PM

I thought it would be interesting to provide a different point of view from an architectural historian.  If you want to find out more about Dr. Holliday, I'm providing a link to her faculty page from UTA.

https://www.uta.edu/...yn-holliday.php

#55 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:02 PM

I'm not struck by it in anyway as an architectural piece of work. So, I can only infer that its has meaning as a "piece of art" as the Fort Worth Klan Hdq.

#56 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

The building is completely functional in nature.  It reads from the exterior as an auditorium with a large seating capacity, balcony, stage, and fly loft.

#57 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

The Ballpark in Arlington was utterly functional, but it was not deemed sufficiently significant to preserve.

I think that preservation has its roots in the intrinsic admiration for a building by the public. I don't sense that there is any admiration for this building other than by some for it once being the local home of the KKK.

So, is preservation a question of functionality above other factors or a question of significance?

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

Preservation is more a question of significance.  Functionality is secondary, unless the functionality of the building has been changed in its history.  In this case, it did.  The building was built as an auditorium, but in its latter years, it functioned as a warehouse and a pecan company.  However, the integrity and character of the building never changed. 

To be listed on the National Register of Historic Places, an extensive nomination form must be filled out and I was going to run down some of the procedures, but that is explained in a 60 page PDF file.  So to be brief, I will list a couple of paragraphs for the basics.  These are the first things to consider:

Age and Integrity: Is the property old enough to be considered historic (generally at least 50 years old) and does it still look much the way it did in the past?

Significance: Is the property associated with events, activities, or developments that were important in the past? With the lives of people who were important in the past? With significant architectural history, landscape history, or engineering achievements? Does it have the potential to yield information through archeological investigation about our past?

To be listed as a City of Fort Worth Landmark, below are the criteria.  Before the designation was removed, the Ellis Pecan Building was designated Demolition Delay.

The subject property must meet at least 1 of the following criteria for DD designation, 2 of the criteria for HC designation, and 3 for HSE designation:

a. Significance

1.  Is distinctive in character, interest or value and exemplifies the cultural, economic, social, ethnic or historical heritage of the City of Fort Worth, State of Texas or the United States

2.  Is an important example of a particular architectural type or specimen or embodies elements of architectural design, detail, material, or craftsmanship that represent a significant architectural innovation in Fort Worth.

3.  Has  been  identified  as  the  work  of  an  important  architect  or  master  builder  whose  individual  work  has contributed to the development of the City of Fort Worth.

4.  Has been identified with a person or persons who significantly contributed to the culture and development of the City of Fort Worth, State of Texas, or the United States.

5.  Bears a significant relationship to other distinctive buildings, structures, sites, objects, or areas, either as an important  collection  of  properties  of  architectural  style  or  craftsmanship  with  few  intrusions,  or  by contributing  to  the  overall  character  of  the  area  according  to  a  plan  based  on  architectural,  historic,  or cultural motif.

6.  Possesses significant archeological value, which has produced or is likely to produce data affecting theories of historic or prehistoric interest

7.  Is the site of a significant historic event

8.  Is designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark or State Antiquities Landmark, or is included on the National Register of Historic Places.

b. Integrity

1.  A property’s ability to convey its significance, taking into consideration the following seven factors: location,design, setting, material, workmanship, feeling, and association, as set forth in National Register of Historic Places’ Seven Aspects of Integrity.

#59 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

Great information and will refer back to it for guidance. :)

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:38 AM

Since the building was previously designated Demolition Delay, you know that it met one of the criteria listed above for local designation. 

#61 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

I would accept that it does meet one or more criteria, but can not accept that is worthy of preservation or restoration because of the purpose for which it was built.

I am in the camp with the UTA Professor and believe that there are other buildings in Fort Worth that deserve public money before money is allocated for EPB.

#62 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

Transform 1012 North Main Street, of which DNAWORKS is a co-convener, is thrilled to be the recipient of a Catalyst Grant from MASS Design Group for the project to acquire the former Ku Klux Klan auditorium in Fort Worth, TX, and transform it into a center and museum for arts and community healing. As part of the grant, MASS Design created a beautiful project brochure including this general concept rendering for how the use of the building can be adapted to return resources to the communities terrorized and marginalized by the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s. Thank you, MASS Design Group, for your beautiful work!⁠
Transform 1012 North Main Street by MASS Design Group: http://www.tinyurl.com/1012brochure

https://www.facebook...100442289983555

#63 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 21 December 2020 - 03:41 PM

Transform 1012 North Main Street by MASS Design Group: http://www.tinyurl.com/1012brochure

VCU put together this map that was linked in the brochure above: 

https://labs.library.vcu.edu/klan/

#64 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:54 PM

TRANSFORM 1012 N. MAIN STREET ACQUIRES KU KLUX KLAN KLAVERN NO. 101 AUDITORIUM IN FORT WORTH

Press Release dated 1/11/22:

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:28 PM

I was sent the notice by e-mail earlier this morning, but I didn't have time to post it.  I figured one of my on the ball forum members would get the information and post it.  Thank you, "On the ball", Nitixope!

This is good news and another historic building saved.  I know that there were many who wanted the building demolished, but this is good news for preservation.

#66 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:39 PM

Anytime.  For those that didn't get a chance to read through the press release or the S-T article yet, the name of the facility will be "The Fred Rouse Center for Arts and Community Healing."  Mr. Rouse was a gentleman that was attacked in the stockyards and then later lynched 100-years ago last month.

Facility article: https://www.star-tel...=mainstage_lead

Mr. Rouse's memorial article: https://www.star-tel...e256223907.html

#67 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:56 PM

This project was featured on the KCCI Channel 13 NBC affiliate in Des Moines IA on the 10 PM News Sunday Jan 16. The opening narration went something like..."It was built as one of the largest KKK meeting places in the country, then it was a nut factory..."

#68 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:44 AM

More national attention to this project as it was in the Washington Post's opinion section over the weekend. 

https://www.washingt...cy-arts-center/

#69 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:09 AM

More national attention to this project as it was in the Washington Post's opinion section over the weekend. 

https://www.washingt...cy-arts-center/

That Ken Sparks / FWCC photo was very cool.

#70 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 03:04 PM

President Biden signs funding law which will provide $3M Center for Healing project:

https://www.star-tel...e261978815.html

#71 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 02:08 PM

Nice piece in Bloomberg from local architecture writer and forum member James Russell. 

https://www.bloomber...ng?srnd=citylab

#72 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 02:26 PM

Haven't heard too much recently but PaperCity did an interview with the Executive Director: https://www.papercit...aime-interview/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users