433 replies to this topic

#401 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:02 AM

Fireworks still happened. You just had to watch from farther away.

#402 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:57 PM

Last year, the Panther Island event was cancelled, but the fireworks launched from the same location as usual. I watched the fireworks from the west side of the Trinity River just south of the Jacksboro Hwy bridge. I'm thinking about doing the same this year.

-Dylan

#403 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:(pronounced
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 04 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but I thought this PPP loan recipient search tool was interesting.  I know there were a lot of small and medium sized businesses needing a little help with their payroll, but some of these larger firms are interesting.  I know one or two small business owners that missed getting a loan (not sure it was 100% their fault either, i.e. the funds ran out of money) and now they are either really struggling or folding or bankruptcy.  It seems like these marketing jobs were hit pretty hard and still not recovering yet: graphic design, promotional items, event management, videographers, photographers etc.

(76102 search)

https://www.federalp...ogram?zip=76102

Crescent borrowed a lot including their GPIF resorts and headquarters.

#404 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 12:47 PM

River Walk Hotel?

#405 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 04 July 2021 - 01:44 PM

River Walk Hotel?

S.A.

https://crescent.com...lk-san-antonio/

#406 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:26 PM

.....when the pandemic hit, I didn't ride any type of public transportation....  Even though I am vaccinated, I am still concerned about the Delta variant.

The 4th of July Holidays are thought to be the next big test of the Delta Variant, especially as there has been a rise of cases from the DV in Red States.

Guess who is a Red State...you guessed it.. Texas is a Red State!

#407 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:13 AM

It will be interesting to see how much the delta variant affects the pandemic locally.

I've heard it's more virulent but that while vaccinated people can catch it, 99.5% of hospitalizations/deaths are among unvaccinated people. 

There is one or two week incubation lag, but right now Tarrant numbers are pretty low.  We before last the Infection Rate went above 1 for the the first time in a while, but this week it's back down to 0.96.  I would like to see new cases per day in Tarrant get down to the single digits (we were as low as 30s last week), but it seems that 60-100 is the norm for the time being.  I just hope that number continues to decay.

My blog: Doohickie

#408 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

I rode TEXRail quite a bit in its first year, but then when the pandemic hit, I didn't ride any type of public transportation.  I also curtailed all of my activities, and since things are opening up, I still am limiting my exposure to crowded situations.  I'm pretty sure a lot of other people feel the same way that I do. Once the virus is more controlled, I will feel very comfortable riding TEXRail or the TRE again.  Even though I am vaccinated, I am still concerned about the Delta variant.

You would be shocked if you were to step foot in DFW Airport today. The airport is busy and crowded again. There is no such thing as social distancing- only mask wearing.

Most people have returned to their normal pre-pandemic lives. And, if you're not going to return to your pre-pandemic life after getting vaccinated, when will you return to your pre-pandemic life?

The good news is, if hospitals were to get overwhelmed, it should've happened around Spring Break when airports and sporting venues got crowded again. But, there wasn't a spike in hospitalizations then like there was after the Christmas travel rush. It seems enough of us have been vaccinated (or gotten the virus itself) that we don't have to worry about hospitals getting overwhelmed anymore.

So you are already putting Texas in the same category as the NE and the West Coast, states where vax rate is above 70%.

Arkansas just had it worst week in new C19 cases, mainly due to the Delta Variant.  Sydney, Australia is in a 2 weeks complete shutdown and headed for additional weeks. There is now active discussion about whether a booster shot will be needed for those who are vaxed.  

You and many others are being rather irresponsible thinking that you the virus ain't a problem any longer.  It is okay to put hospitals, doctors, staff and postponing care for  non CV19 patients simple because you want to return to your pre-pandemic normal. Data is showing that deaths are occurring among those who haven't been vaxed and who continue to believe that it C19 is a hoax. 

Screw around and you will find out!

#409 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:05 PM

DFWI 39th Annual Mtg recap:

https://www.star-tel...mainstage_card6

#410 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

As an attorney I recently attended a Tarrant County Bar Association luncheon in person.  Hugs for the females; hand-shaking for the males.  The other day I attended an eviction hearing inside the JP5 courtroom.  Social distancing was observed, but only one person had on a mask.

We know, of course, that the Panther Island Fourth fireworks show was jam packed.  Maybe one or two, as I observed, wore masks.  A lot of young people were there, as was I.

Delta Variant Plus may be coming to DFW, but from all I've been reading and hearing on the news, the fully vaccinated are still protected.  I am fully vaccinated.

No political statement intended here, but organizations like the Bar have to plan ahead.  So do the Courts.  So does the city when it comes to upcoming events like the Parade of Lights.  Back to Zoom video or plunge ahead with in-person events?  School is coming up, too.  What about vaccinating the kids?

I suppose everyone has been caught off guard by this Delta Variant-caused increase in infections.

#411 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 04:22 PM

I suppose everyone has been caught off guard by this Delta Variant-caused increase in infections.

I am not supposing that everyone has been caught off guard. I am supposing that many people still refuse to believe in the severity of the Covid-19- Delta Variant.  I believe that Texas politicians have been making out right false statements or think that the risk outweigh the danger. 

I noticed for the first time today, that Kroger now requires the wearing of a mask.  I think that corporate America will lead the way in protecting its facilities and its customers before Texas' Leadership buckles under the pressure of a rising rate in infection.

#412 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:33 PM

I am not supposing that everyone has been caught off guard. I am supposing that many people still refuse to believe in the severity of the Covid-19- Delta Variant.  I believe that Texas politicians have been making out right false statements or think that the risk outweigh the danger. 

I noticed for the first time today, that Kroger now requires the wearing of a mask.  I think that corporate America will lead the way in protecting its facilities and its customers before Texas' Leadership buckles under the pressure of a rising rate in infection.

The Post Office was 100% mask required this afternoon. One of the workers was enforcing heavily and allowing zero exceptions to the rule.

#413 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Too much amateur architecture-like things for my own good.

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:16 AM

Although I'm certain there is a genuine uptick, and I personally have concerns about the direction we are headed, I also believe that there is a purposeful push in messaging to spotlight the trends as a motivation for the much-needed additional incentive for vaccination, particularly in anticipation for return to in-person school in 1 month.

It should not surprise us that cases are rising after the Independence Day holiday.

I think that the messaging is more effective this time and that it is creating a sense of urgency, and that can only be a good thing.

Maybe it was not the best choice of data sets, but this is what the state calls new probable cases for our county.  Sorry, I misspelled the title -- yikes -- but I closed everything out without saving the sheet and I don't feel like repeating the formatting process.

4TEJ8P.png

data source:

https://dshs.texas.g...additionaldata/

#414 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 09:36 AM

Here is my take; and it is going to be a political one.

Those who leaned to the left and who are elderly have been the populations that make up a number that pushes up the vax rate at or above 50% for Texas. Those who lean to the right and who are younger have been the population that weights the vax number down to 50%.  I am absolutely not referring to the Latino Population when I describe the situation, but it is the classical description of a Mexican Standoff.

Data shows that the SE and Upper Plains areas of the U.S. have a dismal vax rate.  These are the Red States (Texas included).  Where Texas does reasonably well is in its large urban counties which are today leaning to the left.  We, who take the virus seriously have not been caught off guard and have been cooperative.  Those who do not take the virus seriously have been defiant.

It is sad, but when the time has come where you have to incentive a population to vax itself against a deadly virus, then you have come upon a population that does not plan to be vaxed or believe that the virus is not a serious threat to themselves. I would think staying alive or avoiding a serious health crisis are incentives enough.

Blue Texas is vaxed! 

#415 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:34 AM

Kroger sign in small print says people who are fully vaccinated do not have to wear a mask.

#416 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:41 AM

Kroger sign in small print says people who are fully vaccinated do not have to wear a mask.

Not at the Kroger that I frequent. 

Today 7/19/21, the Dow is plunging as fears of the Delta Variant has investors worried that the US Recovery is being endangered. 

Simply because a sizable faction of people are rebellious and seem uncaring of the impact that not taking the virus seriously is having on the entire Country. It doesn't require a great sacrifice to control this deadly virus, only good common sense and practices.  The sad truth is that before the authorities come to the realization of a reemergence of the virus; the virus has already taken a stronghold in the population. Soon, those who refuse may sadly regret that they hadn't.

Summer months are when the population spends a great deal of time outdoors and the virus seemingly less contagious, but the Fall and Winter are a different matter. It has been near 18 months and the school year is rapidly approaching and lots of people still refuse to be vaxed.  I don't know what schools will do if this thing doesn't get better soon, but last year's playbook could be used again.

I have been fully vaxed since February 2021 and still wear a mask indoors where ever I am.  No Problem!!!

#417 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,822 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 05:50 PM

Hopefully not here we go again

The Big #KindnessDuck Party at Trinity River has been rescheduled to October because of increased COVID-19 cases.

https://t.co/SBT0Ei1mqQ

#418 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:02 PM

the fully vaccinated are still protected.  I am fully vaccinated.

You're not quite correct.  You are protected from severe illness, but not 100%.  Some fully vaccinated people still end up in the hospital.  You are protected from catching the virus, but nowhere near 100%. It's more like about 70% protection from what I've read.  The offshoot is that okay, you get the virus, you won't end up in the hospital and you won't die.  BUT while you're infected you're contagious and still capable of passing a potential death sentence on to those who are not vaxed, and giving the virus more chances to mutate.

Also, if you say you don't care about people who are unvaxed because they have a choice and should choose to get the shot, consider that some people cannot get vaxed, or even if they do, they have compromised immune systems that the vax is not effective for.  For instance organ recipients take immunosuppressants to keep from rejecting their transplanted organs.  The vaccine is only about 15% effective for them, and does not necessarily decrease the severity of illness for them.

I'm not back to 100% masking, but I consider my surroundings and the benefit of being unmasked.  If I go into a store or other indoor place where I will encounter people I don't know, I mask up.  If I go to a restaurant, maybe not, at least not while I'm at my table.  But every barrier I, you, all of us, put in the way of this virus is a contribution to getting it out of our population.

My blog: Doohickie

#419 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Too much amateur architecture-like things for my own good.

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:19 PM

I thought i would make us a better graph, this one of confirmed Tarrant cases instead of Probably -- this way the data goes all the way back.

The data is quite irregular, and a 14 day moving average seemed to be what it takes to smooth out the reporting irregularities.

I also plotted it on a log scale base two so the changes at small numbers do not get hidden, and also because spread is generally exponential but people are better at evaluating linear trends.

Every horizontal line is a doubling of cases.

You can see our current situation relative to how things have been, as well as the sobering trend and rate of doubling.

kKEYxG.png

#420 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:28 AM

i saw that as well, but wondering if that's not the complete reason? There is a quick note in the middle that also says only $3,000 of the $10,000 was raised, seems just as likely that they haven't paid for the transport yetHopefully not here we go again

The Big #KindnessDuck Party at Trinity River has been rescheduled to October because of increased COVID-19 cases.

https://t.co/SBT0Ei1mqQ

#421 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

I've never seen anything like this since the Passover! :o

... the Jews have been told to mark their doors with the blood of a lamb they’ve sacrificed — the Passover offering — and so God “passes over” their homes. Jews give thanks for being “passed over” and protected from the plagues

https://minnesota.cb...-delta-variant/

Get the Vax!

#422 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,822 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

CDC reccomends masks indoors again

https://www.marketwa...-do-11627567966

#423 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:18 PM

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit are playing at Panther Island Pavilion on Friday night and he's been getting beat up pretty good on Twitter in recent days for asking the 2 indoor venues he's playing between now and then (ACL Live at the Moody in Austin and a ballroom in Tulsa) to require attendees to provide proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours and masks.  No word on whether or not the same request will come for his upcoming outdoor shows (Wood Pavilion in The Woodlands on Thursday).  He is playing at an outdoor festival in Kentucky at the end of August that's requiring vaccine or negative test proof.

#424 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:51 AM

He posted an update on Twitter this morning saying that he will have the same requirement for outdoor venues.  This should be interesting.

#425 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:02 PM

He posted an update on Twitter this morning saying that he will have the same requirement for outdoor venues.  This should be interesting.

Weird how any notion of "following the science" seems to be receding in the rearview very quickly.

#426 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,822 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:40 PM

...and now the concert is indoors, moved to Billy Bob's

#427 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:43 PM

I just read that.  The show in The Woodlands was cancelled.

#428 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 08:08 AM

CDC reccomends masks indoors again

https://www.marketwa...-do-11627567966

I'm not overly critical of this.  I think CDC was caught off guard by the raging Delta Variant attacking mostly the unvaccinated after the pace of vaccinations began to slow down in the late spring.  But it seems, as a people, we've been kind of "whiplashed" from freedom from masking back to masking, from events being planned than cancelled, or subject to new restrictions, on account of the increasing infection rate.

#429 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 08:55 AM

How in the world could anyone be caught off guard by any variant of any illness have an adverse impact on those that are unvaccinated?

#430 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:17 PM

Based on my following mainstream media news articles in late spring to early summer, it appeared to me CDC was not fully cognizant of the highly transmissible and highly severe effect of the Delta Variant.  Remember, around May, CDC was saying it's okay to be maskless outdoors and those who were fully vaccinated could be maskless indoors.  By July, in light of the slowdown in the vaccination rate, CDC began to reverse it's position on masks.  That's my take.

#431 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,822 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:51 PM

It feels like we've lost a lot of progress that had been made.

#432 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 11 August 2021 - 04:47 PM

The Delta variant was first seen as early as December 2020 in India according to this article:

https://www.yalemedi...a-variant-covid

#433 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 11 August 2021 - 09:59 PM

It feels like we've lost a lot of progress that had been made.

Yes... unfortunately progress coming to a screeching halt is not surprising when you mix political partisanship with science and medicine.

#434 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,822 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

Probably not too surprising given the health-conscious nature of the neighborhood, but Arts Goggle has postponed to April 23, 2022.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users