476 replies to this topic

#301 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:55 PM

Side note, there is a conspiracy theory which seems to have a lot of truth to it, which is that FWISD needs the extra time because they have a lot of ongoing construction and completely botched the timeframes on it, so the schools just aren't ready. 

It's no conspiracy theory.  It's true.  My wife's school *just started* demolition in a part of the building so they can remodel the rooms there.  If you drive past South Hills HS (not my wife's school) you can see the front entrance to the building is obscured by construction fencing.  When it became clear the virus would delay the start of in-person learning, the district moved ahead with next summer's construction projects.

My blog: Doohickie

#302 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:33 PM

Might as well take advantage of the lull in learning... At least in-person, in-building. The US educational system calendar is still based on an agricultural cycle and has very little relevance to modern family life or work life reality. In addition to renovating physical facilities to account for modern realities it is time to revamp the expectations and functional facilitation of education to better meet the projected needs of the future, both for the individual learner and for society. Yes, distance learning is here to stay; so is year-round learning, life-long learning, skill-based learning, citizenship-based/civics learning, and expanded and more experiential-based education of history, both US and World... while history doesn't necessarily repeat itself, "it rhymes". People today seem to have lost a functional relationship with what has happened in the past. Our educational vision is clouded and confused, and has been for a generation. Time to shake things up and teach children how to think.

#303 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

FWSSR is off.

#304 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

FWSSR is off.

sad but likely the correct call. but still very sad

#305 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:45 PM

I mentioned having trouble concentrating in another thread and part of the reason is that I'm on the tail end of a bout with COVID.  Got sick on the 26th and tested positive the next day.  I only ran a fever and had body aches for a day or so.  My sense of taste is off, I'm worn out all of the time (thus the difficulty focusing), and I get winded and cough when I exert myself.  It looks like it's a fairly mild case and, for that, I'm very grateful.

#306 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you came down with it.  However, it appears that there is good news in that you have a mild case.  Please take care of yourself. 

#307 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:59 AM

'Very sorry to hear that JBB.  I hope the remaining symptoms dissipate quickly.

We are in this very strange time right now: in many ways it is a hopeful start to a new year with people in the city getting vaccinations, while at the same time because of the mixing of the holidays, there is probably more saturation in the population and opportunity for exposure than ever before.

This is such a scary thing: we live every day not realizing how "flammable" we might be until we are exposed to the "flame".

#308 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the good thoughts.  I worked a half day on Wednesday, worked from home yesterday, and put in a full day today.  I'm worn out, but I feel much better than I did last week.  The fatigue factor is very real and made worse by some inconsistent insomnia.

#309 Randall

Randall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:06 PM

Not for sure if this is the correct spot for this. I went downtown today and there must have been a thousand people in and around the FWCC. They were having a high school cheerleading competition. The Omni Hotel, was bustling with people and the sidewalks were full of people on the south end of DT. They were all masked up.
Any thoughts on this? I for one hope this is a start to recovery.

#310 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:02 PM

Not for sure if this is the correct spot for this. I went downtown today and there must have been a thousand people in and around the FWCC. They were having a high school cheerleading competition. The Omni Hotel, was bustling with people and the sidewalks were full of people on the south end of DT. They were all masked up.
Any thoughts on this? I for one hope this is a start to recovery.

I saw that lasts night too.  I needed to go south on 287 to pick something up in south Arlington and couldn't recall off the top of my head how to access the highway and ended up getting caught on Houston and 9th by all the buses picking up the kids outside the convention center.  I ended up making my way up to 7th street.  I'll admit, super spreader event crossed my mind when I saw it but I wasn't going to jump to any conclusions not knowing what precautions they took or didn't take.  Those kids likely have been around each other enough by now so you'd hope it didn't backfire on them but I also heard the Dallas Stars had a bunch of positive results so it's hard to say for certain what's safe in that situation other than avoid it altogether.  I felt sorry for the 30 or so bus drivers having to share all the same air space especially if any of them have underlying conditions or loved ones at home they could pass it along to.  You couldn't pay me to ride a packed bus like that but am grateful I have options for getting around.  A lot of people don't have a choice.

#311 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:08 PM

My daughter is in competitive cheer and she has a competition in 2 weeks at FWCC.  Her last competition was in early October in the Amon Carter exhibit hall at WRMC.  Everyone was masked and specatators could only watch teams from their home gym.  The viewing area was cleared out after every team performed and there was no loitering in the common areas between performances.  We had to wait in the parking lot until a designated time (luckily the weather was beautiful).  The competition in 2 weeks at the convention center has a similar protocol.  Her team had two December competitions in Dallas and Plano cancelled and a late winter competition in Oklahoma has cancelled.  I feel like the Fort Worth competition will happen, but I'm not so sure about her other winter competions planned for February and early March.

I think we're still a long way off from a real recovery.  Events like these and high school football games seem to still be happening with spectators, but hospitalizations have still been steadily increasing up until the last couple of days.

#312 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:54 PM

Tarrant County's new case rate is now 17.6 per 1,000 population, the highest in Texas. By comparison, the statewide rate is 9.7, Harris County is 6.7, and even Los Angeles is 15.7. Tarrant also had about double the amount of restaurant traffic in December as Dallas, Travis and Harris counties, adjusted for population.
https://www.star-tel...e248507715.html

#313 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:14 PM

It's getting to the point where statistics like restaurant traffic are almost meaningless.  For instance, if everyone locally who has ALREADY had COVID decided to start going out to eat like normal, restaurant traffic is going to start going up dramatically.  Because many people have had COVID and are recovering from it every day.  Same with people who have already been vaccinated...that number is increasing daily.  

The problem is that we have no idea which restaurant eaters have either already had it or have been vaccinated.  But there are a lot of people that I know personally who sit in one of those two camps, and they're basically out living like life is normal.  So I'd expect stats on things like restaurant visits to move steadily higher, and I'd expect that stat to mean nothing.

#314 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:14 PM

Tarrant County's new case rate is now 17.6 per 1,000 population, the highest in Texas. By comparison, the statewide rate is 9.7, Harris County is 6.7, and even Los Angeles is 15.7. Tarrant also had about double the amount of restaurant traffic in December as Dallas, Travis and Harris counties, adjusted for population.
https://www.star-tel...e248507715.html

I think the stimulus checks contributed (partly) to the increased restaurant traffic. I guess that was by design but maybe not the intended result.

#315 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:02 PM

I pre-registered for the vaccine within the first couple of days.  On Thursday, my number was called and I received the first dose of the Moderna Vaccine.  Getting it was simple and easy.  So far my arm is slightly sore at the injection site.  The amount of soreness is about the same as when I receive my flu shot every year.  So far, the side effects have been much more bearable than from the shingles vaccine.  On that one, the pharmacist said it would be about the same as the flu shot. Unfortunately, the first dose of that one made my arm in extreme pain and I could hardly stand to stay do my job.  On my second dose, I went to the pharmacist on a Friday afternoon, and didn't schedule anything for the weekend, so that I could take it easy.  On that one, I didn't have much pain and I rode the bicycle that weekend.

#316 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 12:25 PM

Mayfest 2021 has been cancelled. 

https://www.facebook...011890158845103

#317 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:13 AM

Over a century later and events are still being cancelled :(

COVID-19 Update: The board of directors of Downtown Fort Worth Initiatives, Inc., has canceled the 2121 edition of the MAIN ST. Fort Worth Arts Festival.

https://www.mainstreetartsfest.org/

#318 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:39 AM

That's a shame.  I think we're going to see a lot of this through the spring even as restrictions are relaxed.  The uncertainty of it all has people still reluctant to commit to long term decisions.  Vendors want guarantees even if events cancel and the people producing the events don't want to throw money away.

#319 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

As a Main Street Arts Festival volunteer for at least 10 years, I am very sorry to read about its cancellation for the second consecutive year.  I know it's necessary but I would imagine the prolonged disruption will adversely affect the ability to recruit and train volunteers, at least in the short term.  

#320 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:33 PM

I received the second dose of the Moderna vaccine this morning.  The first time, I was sent to the Tarrant County Resource Center off of I-20 and Campus Drive.  This time, I was sent to the Hurst Conference Center.  I left my office at 10:15 AM and I arrived back at 1:00 PM.  It was fairly easy, but it was crowded and there were long lines.  The time that it took also included slow traffic at the Loop 820/121 interchange.  So far, no side effects.  I will let the forum know if I start to have severe pain, or flu-like symptoms.

#321 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:39 PM

Good luck John ! -- I hope you don't have many side effects, but my health care fiends put the positive spin on their short time of discomfort after their 2nd shot as "knowing that it was working".

It is interesting, I have a friend who got his first vaccine shot in the Hurst Center, and it was Pfizer.  I had not given much thought about locations having both -- makes total sense, and I guess hopefully soon that will be 3 varieties.

#322 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:46 PM

Here's a bit of light reading.  I wonder what percentage of those that suddenly died shortly after receiving the vaccine were already on death's doorstep?

The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) (as .cvs files).  The three tables are tied together by the VAERS_ID which is used as the common event identifier showing detailed description of the reaction, symptoms and vaccine.

https://vaers.hhs.go.../datasets.html?

CDC Query to The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) (more specific data filters):

https://wonder.cdc.gov/vaers.html

#323 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:47 PM

I received the second dose of the Moderna vaccine this morning.  The first time, I was sent to the Tarrant County Resource Center off of I-20 and Campus Drive.  This time, I was sent to the Hurst Conference Center.  I left my office at 10:15 AM and I arrived back at 1:00 PM.  It was fairly easy, but it was crowded and there were long lines.  The time that it took also included slow traffic at the Loop 820/121 interchange.  So far, no side effects.  I will let the forum know if I start to have severe pain, or flu-like symptoms.

Sounds like you and my wife were likely in hurst today at nearly the same time.

Her 1st was also at Campus Drive with today at Hurst Conference Center. She says her arm is a little sore this afternoon with a headache. We'll see where things go from here.

A coworker of mine got her 2nd this morning as well and also had mentioned a headache.

Great to hear you got #2, good luck these next few days!

#324 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:35 PM

I thought I would give you a progress report.  My arm is about as sore right now as it was at its worst after the first shot.  That happened on the next day and then went away quickly.  It has only been 7.5 hours since my last dose.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

#325 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:05 PM

I have an update.  I overslept this morning, which never happens.  When I did get up, I had one of the most intense headaches that I have ever had, all of my body ached, and the injection site was very sore.  I was also running a fever between 99 and 100.  The fever was giving me chills and hot flashes.  Obviously, I called into work and told them that I wasn't coming into the office today.  I went back to bed and I have been asleep most of the day.  I feel a little better now, but this headache is still very intense and really the worst part of it.  At least, I have the weekend to take it easy and get rid of the side effects.

#326 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:13 PM

I have an update.  I overslept this morning, which never happens.  When I did get up, I had one of the most intense headaches that I have ever had, all of my body ached, and the injection site was very sore.  I was also running a fever between 99 and 100.  The fever was giving me chills and hot flashes.  Obviously, I called into work and told them that I wasn't coming into the office today.  I went back to bed and I have been asleep most of the day.  I feel a little better now, but this headache is still very intense and really the worst part of it.  At least, I have the weekend to take it easy and get rid of the side effects.

good luck over the weekend.

my wife too has a fever just above 99 today, the arm where she had the injection she says she an barely move. she's also spent most of today in bed so far but woke about 4am with achy and restless legs.

sharing in part because she's felt comfortable sharing her experience on social media, but also so hopefully more folks know what to expect. it's all going to certainly be worth it in the end.

#327 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for sharing.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

#328 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:15 PM

John's experience sounds similar to my parents and one of my coworkers.

#329 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

Thank you all for the well wishes.  I stayed in bed most of the day and I got up about 5 PM feeling a little better.  It seemed like some of the pain was going away.  My fever broke about 6 PM, but I am still feeling some chills and hot flashes.  The body aches are diminishing and my arm is not as sore at the injection site.  I still have a headache, but it seems like it is not as bad as it was.  Most people lose the side effects after about 36 hours, so I'm betting I will feel much better by tomorrow afternoon.

#330 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:43 PM

Originally, I was thinking I if got the vaccine, I would get one of the more effective double-shot vaccines (Pfiser or Moderna) rather than the less effective single-shot (J&J) vaccine.

Now, I'm thinking if I get the vaccine, I may get the less effective single-shot vaccine after all.

I know vaccines are necessary to get this serious virus under control, but I'm concerned about these rushed vaccines and side effects. The above posts don't help.

The reason I don't get the flu shot is, I don't want to get sick from something that's supposed to keep me from getting sick.

-Dylan

#331 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:09 AM

In an interview on NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday, Dr. Fauci stated that the J&J vaccine should not be considered the "weaker" vaccine.  I'm scheduled for my first dose at Texas Health Resources on Friday, but after reading these posts I'm having second thoughts about it.  The one-shot J&J seems like a better option.  My well wishes to John and others here who have experienced unpleasant side effects from the second shot.

#332 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:40 AM

If enough people decide against getting the vaccine based on the relatively minor side effects we're hearing about, we are screwed.  That's the only way out of this mess.  It's going to take a little sacrifice, as if it hasn't already, so suck it up and buy some Tylenol.  If you think our economy is in the crapper now, let's give up on the vaccines, let this thing run it's course, and then see what happens.  36 hours of headaches, fever, and body aches beats dying of COVID or starving to death.

#333 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

I considered my side effects to be minor.  Yes, I missed a day of work from it, but I told my bosses that I had to take some time off to get the vaccine and I might have some side effects that would lead to more time off, but they were OK with it.  The 36 hours that I had while I was under the weather was really a small price to pay for having the protection of the vaccine.  I would do it all over again and I urge those of you who are thinking about backing out to reconsider.  JBB has made all of the points that should be made for everyone to stay on the path to get vaccinated.  It is the only way we are going to beat the virus.

#334 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:02 PM

You're right, of course, but I'm glad to hear the side effects were minor.  I'll take the first shot Friday, and hopefully there will be no side effects (I never experienced side effects when I took a flu shot).  As for the second shot, I will have take a couple Excedrin if the head starts hurting and maybe some OTC cold medicine to cope with chills and fever.

#335 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:21 PM

I got my second Moderna shot this past Tuesday. I had no effects from the first shot last month, and the second one made me tired and I had a headache for a few hours. Very minor. I also have never had a reaction to a flu shot. Obviously everyone has a different reaction, but the side effects should definitely not be a deterrent from getting the vaccine.

#336 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:33 PM

I have had a reaction to one flu shot in 15 years or so of taking them and Im pretty sure I was already sick.

I have heard several people say that hydrating the day before and the day of and avoiding pain relievers until after helps lessen the effects of the second dose.

#337 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:14 PM

Originally, I was thinking I if got the vaccine, I would get one of the more effective double-shot vaccines (Pfiser or Moderna) rather than the less effective single-shot (J&J) vaccine.

Now, I'm thinking if I get the vaccine, I may get the less effective single-shot vaccine after all.

I know vaccines are necessary to get this serious virus under control, but I'm concerned about these rushed vaccines and side effects. The above posts don't help.

The reason I don't get the flu shot is, I don't want to get sick from something that's supposed to keep me from getting sick.

You don't necessarily get a choice.  You sign up and you get what they have.

And flu vaccines don't make you sick, they cause an immune system reaction.  What they do is prevent you from dying a preventable death.

#338 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:53 PM

I have taken the flu vaccine ever since I can remember, and I have only had serious side effects from those one time. 

Dylan, I am sorry that our discussing what side effects occurred to us has discouraged you from wanting to get the vaccine.  I just wanted to let the forum members know what to expect.  Because I did know what to expect, it didn't worry me that I had those side effects, and I was only under the weather for about 24 hours.  That's not a lot of time.  The only thing it cost me was one day of work plus the weekend when I was very busy.  It didn't affect the office as much because they knew I was getting the second dose of the vaccine and actually expected me to be absent on that Friday.  My co-worker had hers scheduled for that Friday, and she was lucky.  She had slightly milder side effects, but didn't feel like working if she had to come in, but since it was the weekend, she didn't have to work. 

If we will need yearly booster shots, I am hoping that by the time my next one rolls around, we will be able to schedule our vaccines at our local pharmacies.  If that is the case, I will always set up an appointment on Friday, so that if I do have side effects, I have the weekend to stay home and recover.  I always get my other vaccines on Friday, so that I don't have to worry about missing any work.

#339 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:05 PM

My family lives on the other ends of the country (in states with different expectations of shutdown, lockdown, stay-at-home, work from home etc.) and they were shocked when I told them the infection rates among our workforce.  Based off an unofficial mental tally, I would say it started off around 10% infected by May 2020 and now I'm estimating at least 50-65% have been infected.  There's HIPPA laws preventing sharing of information of course, but you sort of can figure out who has and who hasn't been infected and do the math.  I guess the only upside is that there's some type of (herd) immunity forming if you can call it that, but the risk of seeing higher severity cases is a real thing, especially in event of hospitalization which has happened more than once.  Also, what about the long term implications of COVID that could impact your heart, lungs and other health?  Why is that not more of a concern?  

It has always felt to me a bit like playing with fire by going about business as usual, with meetings and sharing a ride to lunch etc so I have avoided those situations as much as humanly possible (pun intended).  It's sort of funny that I bought a car back in April of 2020 and to this day, I believe the passenger seat has only been used thrice!  That's where you need to decide what is right for you and those close to you and adjust your habits and actions.  My initial concern has and still is taking it home and passing it on to elderly relatives or those with higher risk factors.  My brother has not worked in an office since March 2020 and he said none of his immediate coworkers (all working from home of course) have been infected.  Some of their aerospace clients have had cases but you're talking about massive facilities in-production with thousands of workers involved as an extended workforce pool running multiple shifts.  

For those that love to be around crowds of people and interact / socialize, I think this has psychologically been really tough.  I'm the type of person that am happy being around a few people at a time but also happy having some space to myself to think, work, do projects, so I'm probably not as affected on that level as other people I know.

#340 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:42 AM

One of my co-workers is getting her second shot tomorrow, and is a little nervous. She had no side effects from her first one, but heard people are getting side effects from the second one.

Here's what I'm wondering... if everyone ought to get the more effective double-shot vaccine, who ought to get the less effective single-shot vaccine? If nobody, why was it approved?

If there are some people who ought to get the single-shot vaccine, who? A young and relatively healthy person such as myself, or no?

EDIT: I missed Doohickie's post about them (Tarrant County?) choosing for me. I suppose I'll let them choose.

-Dylan

#341 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:57 AM

Here's what I'm wondering... if everyone ought to get the more effective double-shot vaccine, who ought to get the less effective single-shot vaccine?

Dylan, what I heard on the news about the J&J vaccine was that the single dose was ideal for those less likely to get a second dose such the homeless and prisoners. I am sure it is useful to others too but that is what I heard.

#342 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:06 AM

Dylan, I had similar concerns when I first heard about the J&J vaccine, but some research put my mind at ease.

"The most important statistic about all the vaccines approved for emergency use in the US is zero: zero deaths or hospitalizations among the patients who were given the vaccines in their clinical trials."

"Its efficacy [rate of vaccinated people getting mild symptoms] is no slouch. J&J has produced a single-dose vaccine more effective than the flu shot that is more easily stored than the other Covid-19 vaccines. ... No one should feel they're getting a raw deal if they end up with the J&J vaccine when they get their shot. (You probably won't have a choice anyway.)"

https://www.nbcnews....amp/ncna1259652
https://www.vox.com/...ohnson-efficacy

#343 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:59 AM

I think the sub-zero cold storage not being required is probably going to make it the vaccine of choice for smaller communities in remote areas that may not have those types of freezers. Especially when you think of remote parts of the world or less developed parts of the world.

#344 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:58 AM

I don't recall where I read it and I don't have time to look it up at the moment, but I read earlier in the week that, while the J&J vaccine isn't as effective at preventing infection, it is just as effective as the others at preventing serious or severe cases.

My wife has been hunting around for somewhere to get the vaccine and she's discovered that CVS pharmacies are reporting which vaccine they have available on their website.  If you're able to book through one of those, you might have some choice in which shot you get.  That said, you could also linger around forever trying to roll the dice and get the one you want.  I say that it's probably best to take the first appointment you can get.

I've taken the approach that Clay Jenkins recommended last week of signing up everywhere I can.  I'm now signed up in Tarrant, Dallas, and Denton Counties, UT Southwestern system, and I'm looking at a few more.  I have heard of a lot of people getting appointments at a site that the city of Burleson is running.

#345 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:00 AM

Here's what I'm wondering... if everyone ought to get the more effective double-shot vaccine, who ought to get the less effective single-shot vaccine?

Dylan, what I heard on the news about the J&J vaccine was that the single dose was ideal for those less likely to get a second dose such the homeless and prisoners. I am sure it is useful to others too but that is what I heard.

My son, a teacher, is getting his shot today.  They told him it would be the single dose J&J version. 

My wife was supposed to get her second Moderna shot Monday but couldn't make it; it was her first day back at work after a medical leave for knee replacement.  I called TCPH hotline and they said just to come in and show she had a Monday appt. and they would take her; we'll see.  She's also signed up through UT Southwestern for a shot tomorrow if TCPH doesn't work out, although we're not sure which version of the shot will be available.  If she gets her shot today, we'll cancel the appt. tomorrow.  She's concerned about side effects so she really wanted to get her second shot on the weekend.

I signed up through Tarrant County Public Health and they handed me off to Baylor Scott & White.  I got my first shot (also Moderna) last Saturday at the BSW drive thru vaccination site at TCU.  It's in the stadium parking lot, never got out of the car.  They basically have things coned off and they send you to various stations- check your appointment, paperwork, the shot, then a 15 minute hold before you leave.  I already have my appointment for the second shot exactly 4 weeks later at the same time and place.

The TCU site was set up for far more traffic than was actually there; it could probably handle ten times as many cars.  I think as the vaccination rates ramp up they'll just send more people through the drive-in sites.

If anyone doesn't want to wait for TCPH and doesn't mind driving to Dallas, UT Southwestern is pretty good about getting you in within a week.  They open registration usually early Monday morning, and then pause registration once they exceed the number they can handle in a week.  I signed up and was going to go through them until BSW notified me I could get it in Fort Worth.  I also signed up my wife this week in case her second shot at TCPH doesn't work out. 

The site to check is https://utswmed.org/...e-registration/ and if you can see the assessment, you can sign up.  The assessment basically asks if your over 65, or have one of several listed health conditions, and perhaps they are also now allowing teachers/daycare workers to get the vaccine based on the White House announcement this week saying they are now eligible.  Once you register, if you qualify for the shot, they will send you a link in a day or two inviting you to sign up for their patient portal and then you can sign up for the shot.  I signed my wife up Monday, got the response Wednesday and they could have gotten her in for her shot as early as that afternoon.

The nice thing about the UT SW and the BSW administration of the shots is you have control over when your appointment is.  Within the available window of several days you can sign up for whatever time works for you. 

The TCPH process is not as transparent.  You have to do everything through email and they send you information via phone, text and email, but it's all one-way, there's no interactive communication on their website, and they generally only give you notice of one day or less.  My wife requested a reschedule of her shot but hasn't heard anything and it still shows her shot scheduled for last Monday.  Their hotline said she can come in any time this week.  I wish we had known that earlier in the week, and I'm not sure I believe her.  The TCPH process is just not as clear.

#346 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:07 AM

Oh, and for those who are worried, I saw John T Roberts yesterday.  He is alive and well.

#347 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

Doohickie, it was good to see you, too.  It was also a change of pace to drive through your neighborhood.  I'm not getting out enough.  If you haven't checked out my Strava rides, I was trying to hurry home to be able to ride my bicycle.  I got in nearly 6 miles before sundown.  I can't wait until Daylight Saving Time start and then I can really put in some mileage after work.  I have a goal to ride 2,021 miles during the year and was 275 miles behind schedule yesterday.

#348 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:50 PM

My wife requested a reschedule of her shot but hasn't heard anything and it still shows her shot scheduled for last Monday.  Their hotline said she can come in any time this week.  I wish we had known that earlier in the week, and I'm not sure I believe her.

She tried to get her shot today but they told her they didn't have Moderna, that she needs to go back Monday.  :-\

She's signed up through UT Southwestern to get her shot at Redbird Mall tomorrow, hopefully they'll have Moderna.

#349 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:03 PM

....and UTSW won't do it.  They say they won't giver her a second shot if she had the first at Tarrant County... my wife called and that's what they told her.  She couldn't really explain why.  So now we're waiting around for Tarrant County.

#350 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:10 AM

My wife has been diligently searching online and working some social media groups to get us vaccine appointments soon.  She had found more than one promising lead and finally scheduled us both for mid week appointments at a CVS on Bryant Irving.  Two nice surprises were that she found a location that has the Pfeizer vaccine (fewer side effects from what we've heard) and we were able to go ahead and schedule our second dose.  I know that Wal Mart and some of the municipal distribution locations are not allowing you to schedule 2nd doses in advance.  She also noticed some CVS locations with the J&J vaccine, but none with appointments.  If you're trying to get a specific vaccine, CVS may be your best bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users