• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:45 AM

From FW Biz Press

Man with a plan
Health Science Center’s Master Plan to broaden university, community profiles
Elizabeth Bassett - August 20, 2007
The HSC's Greg Upp
Photo by Glen E. EllmanThe building used to be a hospital. Then, it became a movie set. Next, it will be reborn as the first new building for the future of UNT’s Health Science Center.
When the Fort Worth Osteopathic Hospital closed in 2004, it made available a large piece of property across Montgomery Street from the Health Science Center. The school was already locked in by neighborhoods to the north, the planned multi-use project called Museum Place to the east, and the Cultural District to the south. So when all the patients and staff left and the medical equipment was moved out, the university purchased the property.

“We were land-locked,” said Greg Upp, senior vice president of community engagement at the Health Science Center. “It was just so evident. We needed that property.”

The procurement, which nearly

doubled the size of the Health Science Center’s property, was one step in the school’s Master Plan, a grand blueprint for how the university will grow in the next 20 years. The final version of the Master Plan proposal will be presented to the board of regents on Aug. 23. Carter & Burgess Inc. of Fort Worth and Polshek Partnership Architects LLP, from New York, will team to make the plan a

reality.

Overall, the Master Plan includes several principles. Academics and research, of course, are integral, as is creating community, opening up linked spaces, using environmentally friendly or sustainable practices, and planning for the future growth of an aesthetically pleasing campus. The number of students enrolled at the school is expected to more than double in the next 20 years, and school officials say there must be places for them – and new faculty, staff and researchers – to go. In addition to new amenities, old features will be redone.

‘Test-tube land in no time’

At the site of the old hospital, known as Building A, the medical equipment has been removed. Upp said that four or five film production companies used the building as a set, since it can easily be made to look like a working hospital.

Within the next 60 days, Upp said, the building will be prepared for demolition. Copper, bricks, sinks, commodes, doors, hardware and other usable materials will be removed and set aside to be recycled before the building is torn down this fall. Construction then will begin on the new Building A, which is expected to open two years from now and will be the first construction project completed under the Master Plan. Other buildings will be constructed or remodeled in future years.

Building A will become office space for researchers and other staff. There will be large auditorium-style rooms, and smaller ones for meetings. A raised corridor-like walkway will connect it across the street to what is now Med Ed I, the large building with the school’s name on the side that sits at the intersection of Montgomery Street and Camp Bowie Boulevard. Med Ed I, which used to house laboratories, will be revamped to its former state, a process that will be less expensive than building labs from scratch, said Dr. Scott Ransom, president of the Health Science Center.

“The old style is to have your lab where your office is, which is great except that you don’t talk to anybody,” Ransom said. “Moving some walls and stuff, we could be in test-tube land in no time.”

Upp said that separating offices from labs will encourage people on campus to move and interact with each other. The walkway will have benches and seats, creating comfortable spaces.

“Any time you can get researchers, students and faculty out of their labs and offices, you have a greater chance for an exchange of ideas,” Upp said. “It fosters that interdisciplinary approach.”

The campus will be “greened-up”; lawns will be added and trees planted. The current campus is reportedly 98 percent impervious material – buildings, sidewalks, parking lots and streets. And while cultivating and watering new green spaces could be a financial burden for some, Upp said that the campus will be able to make use of existing natural springs on the property, and that the changes will make the campus enticing to its own population and to the community around it.

“We can be a great neighbor, I believe,” Upp said.

He added that in the future, local

committees and businesses can use the campus rooms and auditoriums and

people from the surrounding neighborhoods will be able to stroll around the green areas. Three public meetings were held to solicit input from the community, on campus and off, for the final version of the Master Plan, Upp said, and the

university tried to take into account the concerns of its neighbors.

“We attempted to make this master planning an inclusive process, and I think that’s turned into a strength of the plan,” Upp said. “It made it better than if made in a vacuum.”

By bringing together different facets of the campus to work more efficiently with each other, the research and application in the future of health science will reach the community more quickly, Upp said.

“That part’s not good science,” he said. “That’s just common sense.”

Contact Bassett at ebassett@bizpress.net

#2 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

I believe this is a concept image from the C&B website:

IPB Image

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

That buidling has already been built.

#4 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

Construction fencing is going up around the old hospital building today

#5 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hospital is long gone and dirt has been brought in to fill the hole left by the destruction of the hospital. Austin construction has trailers on the site and looks like they are drilling piers. I suspect a crane will be underway at start of the new year to start vertical construction on the new buildings. The parking garage that was closed behind the old hospital is still closed but noticed crews working on it, I suspect UNT will be re-opening the garage with the campus expansion.

#6 jesse

jesse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

Here is the Campus Facility Update website with tons of info and pictures of the master plan and also has two webcams of the construction going on.

#7 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

I've noticed that construction progress seems stalled lately. The same exterior look has been there for weeks. It's hard to believe their January 2010 opening claim.

#8 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

There is some interesting stone and glasswork on the exterior now that wasn't there last weekend. Someone with a camera should check it out.

#9 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

I'd love to see a before/after of the old vs new building if anyone could do that!

#10 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

They look to be adding an entrance wall at the Montomgery/7th/Camp Bowie entrance

#11 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Midwest wrecking has fenced off the single story buildings along Montgomery.

#12 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

So what part of the master plan is this all about?

#13 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

So what part of the master plan is this all about?

The master plan shows that area stays open, so you'll be able to see the library from Montgomery. Looks like they're planning a water garden there.

#14 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Here's a preview of the water garden being built in front of the library...

Posted Image

Lots going on on the west side!

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,368 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

It looks like it will be a definite improvement to the campus. I also agree that there is a lot going on in that part of the city.

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

It looks like it will be a definite improvement to the campus. I also agree that there is a lot going on in that part of the city.

I would think that architects specializing in that area, and working in conjunction with engineers of the same persuasion, could design water features that would significantly cool off an outdoor area during the summer. During most Texas summers a nice outdoor courtyard is generally viewed through thick shaded glass. Wouldn't it be nice if through intentional design the water made an outdoor space actually nice to be in during the hot part of the year.

#17 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

http://fwbusinesspre...ArticleID=23103

Here's an article in the FW Business Press about a merger between UNT's main campus in Denton and the UNTHSC here in Fort Worth. Any idea how this would affect the UNTHSC master plan? I assume they're not literally talking about relocating UNTHSC to Denton, right?

#18 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

I found this on the Fort Worth Business Press website.  I don't think we've seen (on this Forum) what UNTHSC will look like and I'm not sure this twitter is accurate.  But FYI.

https://twitter.com/...8163712/photo/1

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

That pic on Twitter is a photo of what it currently looks like.

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,658 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

But the article talks about some of the development that is coming. 

UNT Health Science Center’s plans call for a four-story Interdisciplinary Translational Research Building at the northeast corner of Camp Bowie Boulevard and Clifton Street. The building will add about 150,000 square feet of research labs, teaching labs, classrooms, study rooms, multimedia learning areas and faculty and administrative offices, according to UNT Health Science Center officials.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,658 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

UNTHSC tore down a small old building to make way for the Research building - https://twitter.com/...572392743829504

Here's a rendering of the new building.

unthsc_zpsxgumtheq.png

#22 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

UNTHSC tore down a small old building to make way for the Research building - https://twitter.com/...572392743829504

Brutalist?

#23 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

[quote name="Austin55" post="97487" timestamp="1464210235"]UNTHSC tore down a small old building to make way for the Research building - https://twitter.com/...572392743829504

Nothing standout about the design, but it matches the current aesthetic of the UNTHSC campus and it's great that a new building is going up in that area of Camp Bowie. Now only if the hotel on Van Cliburn Way will get moving so this area can finally come together.

#24 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

In comparison to the "pill box" looking structure being bull-dozed in the picture shown in the previous post, the beautifully designed planned new UNTHSC building should be welcomed by the neighbors.

#25 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:01 PM

Lots of dirt being moved around on what has previously been a surface parking lot right at the corner of Camp Bowie & Montgomery - right across from that McDonald's.

#26 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Lots of dirt being moved around on what has previously been a surface parking lot right at the corner of Camp Bowie & Montgomery - right across from that McDonald's.

Yeah, what is supposed to go there?

#27 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

I think they are reconfiguring the parking lot at the corner. 

#28 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

unthsc_zpsxgumtheq.png

I drove by the area today and lots of stuff was happening at the site. They were digging up parts of camp Bowie (I'm' assuming to access the water and or sewer lines) and they had also started to put up plywood fencing around the site. Looks like they may be starting on this soon.

#29 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

Ground is being broken today, according to FWBusiness.  The building is scheduled to open in 2018.

#30 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Ground is being broken today, according to FWBusiness.  The building is scheduled to open in 2018.

I'm really liking this building and it's design; mainly because of it's location within the cultural district and how it ties in with the museums and brings cohesion to the district. I also like that it will add a bit of height as you drive up the hill towards Montgomery. I think one more significant building, possibly at the intersection of Montgomery and Camp Bowie, should help complete the look of the campus.

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

A tower crane is going up today.

#32 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:51 AM

Beautfullly designed building.

#33 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

They've also got a pretty massive hole dug in the ground right now.

#34 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

First floor complete, second floor framing underway: 

C-gSnhuUIAAacVP.jpg

Retweeted by UNTHSC: https://twitter.com/...957772926869505

#35 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,658 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

6/23/17

DDGp80QVwAEdTLB.jpg

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the photo. I've been glancing at the tall crane from a distance while driving west of I-30 from downtown but haven't been in that area lately. 

#37 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Just to check, what's happening with the Osteopathic program? Is that getting "retired?"  Actually, I've been so out of touch that I didn't know the Osteopathic Hospital had closed.  What a bummer. 

I've thought for years (...beginning with the kick-off of managed care during the Reagan era) that the Osteopathic approach to patient care is the most productive and profitable approach over a lifetime. 

I've only become more convinced an Osteopathic variation/adaptation is a critical need pervasive in American health care. Pharmaceutical dependency, The Affordable Care Act farce & Medieval Health Insurance governance, University profit-center degree plans, ignorance of Veterans' health needs, near inhumane absence of Palliative Care (sorry baby boomers), and the cherry on top of it all is the sheer amount of corporate profit flowing through the administration of health care sucks the life out of individuals, family, and the economy..... um, anyway

This deal between UNT and TCU, is the Osteopathic program getting kicked further to the curb?

UNT has been struggling to get a South Dallas campus sustained, and I've thought for, like, ever, that proximity to that huge VA hospital (I think the largest in the VA system) provided a perfect platform to expand the scope and scale of UNT Osteopathic Medicine while answering so many ignored questions of caring for American Soldiers.

#38 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

The Osteopathic program will remain and produces quality doctors every year

#39 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:47 PM

I swear I sa a TABC notice up on the ground floor of the new building? Couldn’t figure out how to search for applications anyone else notice it?

#40 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Interprofessional Research Education Building opened today. https://twitter.com/...942057524867072

#41 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

Didn't know whether to put this under TCU or UNT.  The TCU/UNT Medical School received its accreditation.  First classes begin in 2019.  Fort Worth is no longer the largest city in the country without a medical school for M.D.s.

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

Yes, but it is the largest city in the country with the  M.D. school having the longest name - TCU UNTHSC School of Medicine :swg:

Shorten that name or give the school a new name.

#43 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

Yes, but it is the largest city in the country with the  M.D. school having the longest name - TCU UNTHSC :swg:

How about...

Naaaa, not touching that!

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:23 PM

Yes, but it is the largest city in the country with the  M.D. school having the longest name - TCU UNTHSC :swg:

How about...

Naaaa, not touching that!

According to Jack White's Collection, (Pioneers: Six Early Pioneers) Fort Worth's first physician was Dr. Carroll M. Peak.

Carroll Peak School of Medicine might be given consideration.

First year free to attend. :o

#45 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

I went to Carroll Peak Elementary for the 2nd grade. I was bused there during the integration period in public schools.

#46 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

Yes, but it is the largest city in the country with the  M.D. school having the longest name - TCU UNTHSC School of Medicine :swg:

So you want TCU, who fronted the majority of the money to take its name off the school because it is too long for your tastes?

#47 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

So you want TCU, who fronted the majority of the money to take its name off the school because it is too long for your tastes?

Some schools have been known to name their colleges for people or distinguished alumni.

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

Roy J and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine at University of Iowa

Perelman School of Medicine at University of Pennsylvania

Alpert Medical School at Brown University

Dell Medical School at University of Texas at Austin..........etc, etc.

In practice, these schools are referred to by the surnames.

The suggestion for Carroll M. Peak, should you read a subsequent comment, is in commemoration of Dr. Peak,  Fort Worth's first medical doctor.  Peak College of Medicine might be a nice short hand name; might not be.

Basing this suggestion merely as something derived of my own personal taste is in the eye of the beholder,   but Texas Christian University School of Medicine and University of North Texas Health Sciences is a lot of titling and could be reasonably seen as a bit long, but that is of course, according to your or others tastes.

I remember when there was the Sam Houston Institute of Technology, TCUUNT School of Medicine has an interesting take to it, doesn't it?

#48 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

It appears they are putting another floor or some sort of cover on the parking garage behind the newest building. Saw crane and double backed to sneak a peak.

#49 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

They are adding two new floors to that garage.

#50 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:43 PM

Some schools have been known to name their colleges for people or distinguished alumni.

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

Roy J and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine at University of Iowa

Perelman School of Medicine at University of Pennsylvania

Alpert Medical School at Brown University

Dell Medical School at University of Texas at Austin..........etc, etc.

In practice, these schools are referred to by the surnames.

The suggestion for Carroll M. Peak, should you read a subsequent comment, is in commemoration of Dr. Peak,  Fort Worth's first medical doctor.  Peak College of Medicine might be a nice short hand name; might not be.

Basing this suggestion merely as something derived of my own personal taste is in the eye of the beholder,   but Texas Christian University School of Medicine and University of North Texas Health Sciences is a lot of titling and could be reasonably seen as a bit long, but that is of course, according to your or others tastes.

I remember when there was the Sam Houston Institute of Technology, TCUUNT School of Medicine has an interesting take to it, doesn't it?

THAT is a brilliant observation.  #accidentialacronym

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users