201 replies to this topic

#101 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:23 PM

Not a closing, but Brinker went live with their ghost kitchen concepts on Door Dash in this area in the last week or so.  It's Just Wings and It's Just Pasta are delivery-only operations running out of Chili's and Magianno's locations.  I looked at the menus for both last night and neither really blew my socks off.  It seems they caught some flack early on for only offering ranch dressing and not bleu cheese with wings.

#102 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:25 AM

I understand that the downtown Jos. A. Bank Clothiers is packed up and moved out now.

#103 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:52 AM

Wow, it had been there as long as I can remember. 

#104 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:16 AM

I knew that was coming after they filed bankruptcy. 

#105 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

Wow, it had been there as long as I can remember. 

It was the Pier 1 flagship way back when, if I remember correctly

#106 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:03 PM

elpingüino, you are correct.  Even before that, it was F.W. Woolworth Co.  It had a real soda fountain inside.  When I was a kid, I used to love to go inside Woolworth's. 

#107 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:00 PM

Not surprised.  I know I haven't worn a jacket and/or tie since early March.  Although their University Park location appears to remain open.

#108 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:02 PM

It seems they caught some flack early on for only offering ranch dressing and not bleu cheese with wings.

That's a cardinal sin to Buffalonians.

My blog: Doohickie

#109 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:09 AM

McKinley's Bakery in University Park Village, which has been open 19 years, is now closing. "Operating a small restaurant with a large dining room in a high rent retail area does not seem to be the best business strategy for us in the current environment." Announcement: https://www.facebook...157093478822237

#110 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:54 PM

Thats sad, I like that place. I picked up curbside from there recently and it seemed very busy inside. Im sure its expensive there but Im a little surprised.

#111 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

Its been years since Ive dined there. Was it once a part of the Celebrity Cafe chain?

#112 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

McKinley's Bakery in University Park Village, which has been open 19 years, is now closing. "Operating a small restaurant with a large dining room in a high rent retail area does not seem to be the best business strategy for us in the current environment." Announcement: https://www.facebook...157093478822237

Thats a hard one to believe, theyre always busy.

#113 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:22 PM

When we were meeting in person, that was another provider of our lunch for Historic Fort Worth Board Meetings.  Now, a number of restaurants we used for the lunches have closed.

#114 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:58 PM

That was a regular stop for our Clear Fork Bicycle Club breakfast rides.  :(

#115 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:46 AM

Its been years since Ive dined there. Was it once a part of the Celebrity Cafe chain?

Yes, good memory. Bud Kennedy mentions that here: https://www.star-tel...e245264985.html

#116 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:34 AM

I honestly thought it might still be part of that chain.  Celebrity had a Tarrant location in Colleyville that closed a year or two ago after really going downhill.  My last trip to McKinley's for lunch was probably more than 10 years ago and I remember that there was a line out the door on a cold, rainy winter day.

#117 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:51 AM

I honestly thought it might still be part of that chain.  Celebrity had a Tarrant location in Colleyville that closed a year or two ago after really going downhill.  My last trip to McKinley's for lunch was probably more than 10 years ago and I remember that there was a line out the door on a cold, rainy winter day.

There were quite a few of those ex-Celebrity bakeries around.  I know there used to be a bakery of I- 30 and Collins in Arlington and a bakery in Irving that although I never knew of  them when they were Celebrity Cafes, the desserts and menus there were, without a doubt, Celebrity's products.  The one in Irving is closed, not sure about the Arlington location.   I just assumed Celebrity franchised out their products, but not the name.  The food, graphics, and packaging at these cafes (including McKinley's)  all looked the same, just the names of the establishments were different. 

#118 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

For the record, Staples was built where Ninfa's was located.  Going way back, Ninfa's remodeled and expanded the old Carlson's Drive-In.  It's nice to recollect on things, but I would like to keep this thread on topic.

Did River House take over 1660 S. University Dr before Ninfa's?  Must not have lasted very long.  Looking at historic aerials, it appears Ninfa's must have expanded between 1990-1995 but was gone by around 2001?

https://hometownbyha...ar.com/?p=31239

carl-river-house.jpg

#119 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

I believe it was Carlson's, then River House, then Ninfa's, followed by demolition and Staples.

#120 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Fashion

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:36 PM

There were quite a few of those ex-Celebrity bakeries around.  I know there used to be a bakery of I- 30 and Collins in Arlington and a bakery in Irving that although I never knew of  them when they were Celebrity Cafes, the desserts and menus there were, without a doubt, Celebrity's products.  The one in Irving is closed, not sure about the Arlington location.   I just assumed Celebrity franchised out their products, but not the name.  The food, graphics, and packaging at these cafes (including McKinley's)  all looked the same, just the names of the establishments were different. 

If this is the company, then Celebrity still has locations in Frisco and Highland Park.  Their website also lists a North Dallas location (Preston/Royal), but their Facebook page only says that they have two locations.  The Preston/Royal location was in the Central Market shopping center affected by last October's tornado.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#121 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:28 AM

If this is the company, then Celebrity still has locations in Frisco and Highland Park.  Their website also lists a North Dallas location (Preston/Royal), but their Facebook page only says that they have two locations.  The Preston/Royal location was in the Central Market shopping center affected by last October's tornado.

Yes, there are some Celebrity's still open.  I've gone to the Oaklawn location in Dallas often.  But some of their previous locations have changed names over the years.  As a serious sugarholic ,  I know the taste of their cakes anywhere and these other cafes definitely are/were still using Celebrity's recipes, which has led me to believe there is still some type of affiliation with Celebrity Cafe. 

#122 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

Another Sundance victim as LOFT has closed.

#123 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

I really don't like being so negative, but I have a feeling that in 2021, Sundance Square will be as vacant as it was in 1978 when the buildings were purchased.  At least the saving grace would be their restoration. 

Let's bring Whataburger back to Sundance Square!

#124 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:12 PM

Kinda surprised by that one...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#125 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Fashion

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:03 PM

LOFT's parent company, Ascena Retail Group, recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is undergoing restructuring.  Ascena also owns Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant, and Justice (girls clothing brand).  Due to Ascena's financial situation, I'm actually not surprised at them closing the LOFT location in Sundance Square.

I don't want to speculate, but I would also pay attention to the White House Black Market (WHBM) store across the street, too.  Whenever I drove by there (pre-COVID), I did not see very many customers.  Note that WHBM's parent company, Chico's FAS (which also owns its namesake store, Chico's, as well as Soma Intimates), seems to be struggling, though they are not yet in the same critical situation Ascena is.  Both Chico's FAS and Ascena seem to focus on similar core customers (adult women, age 35+), except for Ascena's Justice brand.  I would say that Ascena has better diversified with plus-sizes (Lane Bryant) and girls' (Justice) clothing, though.

I will say that WHBM and LOFT may be attractive to women younger than that core audience relative to the other brands in the parent companies' portfolios; I definitely recall some girls at TCU who wore clothes from WHBM and LOFT, including casual/everyday items.

Fashion retailers in general are getting slammed right now.  Surprisingly for a guy, I actually know plenty of things about women's fashion retail.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#126 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:13 PM

I've read elsewhere that Pizzeria Uno downtown may be the latest casualty.  Chain and probably far from the best in their genre, yes.  But if my last visit in early March on a Saturday night with more than a 1 hour wait was any indication, it was a still a safe, popular option for families (wasn't my choice, but we were with a large group with a lot of kids).  Plus it was a very long time fixture downtown.  I think it was an original Sundance West tenant which would put it at nearly 30 years.

It's done.

#127 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:22 AM

I've read elsewhere that Pizzeria Uno downtown may be the latest casualty.  Chain and probably far from the best in their genre, yes.  But if my last visit in early March on a Saturday night with more than a 1 hour wait was any indication, it was a still a safe, popular option for families (wasn't my choice, but we were with a large group with a lot of kids).  Plus it was a very long time fixture downtown.  I think it was an original Sundance West tenant which would put it at nearly 30 years.

It's done.

I believe the Sundance Uno's was the last one in DFW or maybe even the state.  I hadn't been in years and years, but there was a time when I really enjoyed going there.  It was one of the original Sundance Square tenants. Sad to see it go. 

#128 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:22 AM

I believe the Sundance Uno's was the last one in DFW or maybe even the state.  I hadn't been in years and years, but there was a time when I really enjoyed going there.  It was one of the original Sundance Square tenants. Sad to see it go. 

Yeah, Bud Kennedy says it was the last Uno in the entire South. https://www.star-tel...ylink=mainstage

#129 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

Eastfwther, I have a slight correction.  Uno was one of the original Sundance West tenants.  That building was completed in 1991 and Uno's opened shortly, thereafter.  Sundance Square started with two blocks of restored buildings across Houston Street with their openings 10 years earlier in 1981. 

#130 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

Eastfwther, I have a slight correction.  Uno was one of the original Sundance West tenants.  That building was completed in 1991 and Uno's opened shortly, thereafter.  Sundance Square started with two blocks of restored buildings across Houston Street with their openings 10 years earlier in 1981. 

1981? Wow, I had no idea Sundance Square"s birth  started so soon.  I'm sure I'm recalling the time of when I first ventured down there.  There was the original  Sundance AMC Movie Theater, Uno's , Billy Miner's and Caravan of Dreams.  I believe they were all on the same block.  I don't remember much else being down there at the time.  I'm not sure the old Whataburger was there then. And you're right, this was around 1991 -92. I had just graduated college and moved back with my folks!    Jeez I feel old!  

#131 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:15 AM

The theater, Uno's, and Caravan were in the Sundance West building.  Billy Miner's was across Houston in the space where Loft is/was located.

#132 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:32 AM

The Caravan of Dreams is actually older than Sundance West.  The Caravan Building was Ed Bass' entry into Sundance and it opened in 1983.  Then the building behind the Caravan blew up in 1986 and that started Ed to plan Sundance West.  That structure was built around the Caravan of Dreams Buildings and the Solomon's Red Goose Shoe Store, spanned under 3rd Street, put in the foundation for the 22 story Cassidy and connected into the Sanger Lofts.  If you all ever look at the main site to which this forum is associated, you will find the dates on when all of the buildings were built and when they were restored.

#133 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:10 PM

The Caravan of Dreams is actually older than Sundance West.  The Caravan Building was Ed Bass' entry into Sundance and it opened in 1983.  Then the building behind the Caravan blew up in 1986 and that started Ed to plan Sundance West.  That structure was built around the Caravan of Dreams Buildings and the Solomon's Red Goose Shoe Store, spanned under 3rd Street, put in the foundation for the 22 story Cassidy and connected into the Sanger Lofts.  If you all ever look at the main site to which this forum is associated, you will find the dates on when all of the buildings were built and when they were restored.

I loved the Caravan of Dreams! :glare:

#134 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:30 PM

Cjyoung, so did I.  The Caravan was my favorite music venue. 

#135 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

Sheltons Salon and Spa is closing October 17th. Partial quote from Facebook "Due to the unprecedented times and the business climate as it is, we can no longer do business as we would like." Three locations Fort Worth, Euless, and Arlington.

#136 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

Luby's and Fuddrucker's announce liquidation. 

The fate of the remaining open locations in DFW is unknown. (But chances are they'll be closed) 

"Luby’s and Fuddruckers were “hammered by the coronavirus pandemic,” according to a news story on The Street. A QSR article says more than half of the corporate office was furloughed in March and the remaining staff’s salaries were cut by 50%."

https://www.dallasne...s-to-liquidate/

#137 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 09:19 AM

I was never a fan of either place. I don't like cafeterias in general, and Fud's was just another expensive burger joint. I went occasionally with groups and the food was fine, but it was never a place I would choose.

#138 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:27 AM

downtown "adjacent" but putting here since I couldn't find a better thread (though I'm sure it exists).

The January 2021 denver stockshow has been postponed to jan 2022. I'm curious when/if/how our stock show will have an announcement...

https://www.9news.co...43-135e76920f3f

I'm really curious about next years events. The Parade of Lights is going to just be indoors at the convention center and broadcasted rather than in-person. Will there be a Sundance Square Christmas tree? What about the events in "Festival Season" of Spring that had to cancel this year already? 

#139 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:17 AM

Just my opinion, but I believe the next 6-8 weeks are going to be the indicator for how the next 4-6 months look.  In person schooling will be back in force in that time period and, if we see spikes similar to what happened in June after businesses reopened, we could see a mass of cancellations of large scale events through the fall and winter.  I'm worried that the closure of the Keller high school after 3 weeks of in person instruction is a bad omen. 

#140 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:43 AM

Alamo Drafthouse has closed 4 of its 6 DFW theater  locations.....supposedly temporarily. 

Only the Richardson and Lake Highlands location in Dallas remain open. 

https://www.dallasne...las-fort-worth/

#141 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:31 AM

Hopefully they'll get back on their feet.  The North Richland Hills location was hopping when I drove by on Labor Day afternoon.

#142 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:32 AM

I was hoping the Pandemic would at least lower rents but no such luck. I got my renewal notice and next year will be $100 more.

#143 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

Never heard of this nor tried it, but Sear-N-Dip closed Sept 26, only 2-months after opening.

https://fortworth.cu...rriott/#slide=0

Sear-N-Dip
5800 N Tarrant Pkwy #110, Fort Worth, TX 76244
https://goo.gl/maps/ysjW36r8dhX6Rn9U8

#144 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:43 AM

Totally missed an opportunity:  They should have called themselves Sear-N-Dip-ity

#145 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

Regal Cinemas Fossil Creek - The company is indefinitely shutting down all 536 of its locations.

https://fortworth.cu...s-fossil-creek/

Regal Fossil Creek

N. 6100 Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76137 

https://goo.gl/maps/RqV157bpQ45oKDok8

#146 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:50 AM

The movie theater business is going to have a time coming back.  They make almost nothing on tickets and limited appeal releases and throwback movies with smaller audiences are only going to carry them so far.

#147 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:28 PM

I haven't stepped foot inside a movie theater since May 31, 2019 and don't plan to anytime soon.  Our stayed at a 150-key hotel by the Galleria and said there was only 25 cars in the parking lot on a Friday evening, one staff member present at the front desk and zero full service amenities such bars, dining or room service.  I found an industry website that lists that property's occupancy rate at 15.96%. 

Here's a another source tracking hotel occupancy rates overall....going to be a tough one to bounce back from:

https://www.statista...-rate-by-month/

And the parent company stock prices....wow:

https://www.cineworl...ors/share-price

#148 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

Not Fort Worth proper, but Harkin's Theater in Southlake Town Square announced this week that they are shutting down on Sunday.  Covid was a factor, but they are blaming it on a rent hike from the property owner.  Pre-Covid, this theater was always extremely busy.  It did a great deal to draw traffic into what I would call the back portion of the shopping area.  It was a really nice, uniquely laid out theater - everything was centered around a huge entry atrium and a large single hallway that ran across the length of the building rather than a cramp, winding set of hallways.  Unfortunately, they were very late to the game in converting to reserved seating (this year) and they were one of the only theaters around without reclining seating.

#149 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:53 PM

Captain Nemos in Irving closing 12/31/20 after 47 years in business. Only reason I mention it here on this forum is because it represents the end of an era for a lot of these mom and pop shops and what the American dream looked like at one point in time. I have fond memories of going to places like this with my dad and grandpa back when words like low-carb or gluten free werent part of the vernacular.

https://www.nbcdfw.c...-years/2500022/

#150 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:02 PM

Luby's and Fuddrucker's announce liquidation. 

The fate of the remaining open locations in DFW is unknown. (But chances are they'll be closed) 

"Luby’s and Fuddruckers were “hammered by the coronavirus pandemic,” according to a news story on The Street. A QSR article says more than half of the corporate office was furloughed in March and the remaining staff’s salaries were cut by 50%."

https://www.dallasne...s-to-liquidate/

Fuddruckers location off of SH 121 in Grapevine permanently closes

Can't say I'll lose any sleep over this closure.  Odd and overpriced.  Not the same experience I remember in its heyday back around 1987-1988.

https://communityimp...anently-closes/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users