#53 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

Owner trying to get the building landmarked,

Applicant requests that the HCLC recommend that City Council consider designating the property located at 3033 Hemphill St. as a Historic and Cultural Landmark

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

This is good news. The theater should be preserved, since it is in better condition than the New Isis was before that restoration started.  It is not in as good of condition as the Ridglea Theater was when it was designated.  The big difference is that the Ridglea was open and occupied at the time.

#55 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

The City of Fort Worth has posted the staff report for this Landmarks Case.  The owners have proposed a Highly Significant Endagered Local Designation for this property and due to the City's definition of "endangered", this property will not be eligible.  However, the Preservation Staff is recommending a designation of Historic & Cultural Landmark.  You can read the report here:

http://fortworthtexa...16766940691.pdf

#56 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

The hearing before the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission was on the agenda for this month to designate the building as a local landmark.  The owners requested a 90 day continuance before the case was heard.  We will have to wait until then to see if the building will be landmarked.

#57 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

This article has shown up on the Fort Worth Business Press website regarding the theater building.

http://www.fortworth...fc7d7e4f7f.html

#58 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 10:23 PM

Not related to the theater itself but it seems the convience store on the corner will soon be torn down and replaced. 

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Here's the developer portfolio  https://www.verdad.com/projects

#59 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 10:49 PM

Generic buildings Я us.

My blog: Doohickie

#60 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:45 PM

Generic buildings Я us.

LOL...  totally

#61 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:30 AM

The theater was purchased by Mercy Clinic, who have had the plans to build next door for years now. 

https://fortworthbus...eater-property/

#62 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 02:14 PM

A demolition permit has been filed for the theater. 

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

John, does the theater have any protections?

#63 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 02:20 PM

Not according to his listing for the building on the site.

#64 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 02:55 PM

A demolition permit has been filed for the theater. 

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

John, does the theater have any protections?

Well that sucks. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 03:30 PM

I checked the City's website and it does not have any City designation.  It is also not listed on the National Register or a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.  Since it has abslolutely no historic designation, they should be able to demolish it as soon as the permit is approved.   That's really a shame.

As an aside, the main site here has all of the designations listed along with the buildings.  These notes are both in the area listings, and on the individual building pages.

#66 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 04:55 PM

The hearing before the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission was on the agenda for this month to designate the building as a local landmark.  The owners requested a 90 day continuance before the case was heard.  We will have to wait until then to see if the building will be landmarked.

I guess the 2019 proposal never went through?

#67 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 05:09 PM

I'm guessing that after the continuance, the owners withdrew the case.  Then, two years later, it appeared that Mercy Travis Clinic bought the building.  Since it was never landmarked, it would be easy to see that the clinic would just demolish it so they could build as they pleased on their property.  I took some pictures of the theater with the correct lighting earlier this year.  I haven't posted them because of the construction equipment on the 7-Eleven site.  I went back this afternoon, and took more photos, but the sun had already moved off of the south side of the building.  Today's photos include all three sides visible from the street.  Maybe I could get over there at lunch when the sun is on the south and west sides of the building on Monday or Tuesday before they demolish it.  It's tough to do anything but eat on my lunch hours.

#68 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 07:08 PM

Here's one of today's photos.

53001509026_68c88ce680_k.jpgberrytheater-06-25-2023 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#69 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 03:41 PM

A Community Meeting regarding the Berry Theater is scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, June 27 at 5:30 PM at the Mercy Clinic offices.  They are located at 775 W. Bowie St.

Harrison Mantas from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a story about the demolition of the theater.  Below is the link for those of you who have access:

https://www.star-tel...e276761566.html

#70 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:29 PM

Fort Worth Report is also covering the topic

https://fortworthrep...-health-clinic/

#71 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:55 PM

I totally get the desire for historical preservation.  But I was a member of Travis Avenue Baptist Church in the '70's and '80s and the Berry Theater has certainly been an abandoned eyesore since way back then.  I don't know the plans for the property by Mercy Clinic, but that organization is a real asset to the local community.  They provide free dental and medical care for residents of 76110 and 76104 who are impoverished.  Maybe a higher and better purpose exceeds the desire for historic preservation in this case.

https://www.mercy-clinic.org

#72 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 08:14 PM

Personally, I would like to see all of the remaining single screen theaters saved.  However, finding a use for those buildings is very difficult, and being a realist, maybe I should be happy that two of these theater buildings are now landmarked, restored, put back into a similar use, and protected against demolition.  Our only partially remaining Downtown theater is also landmarked and the building is protected.  However, interiors are not protected, and this theater is currently vacant and only partially intact.  I do feel that the remains of the Hollywood will probably not be removed. 

#73 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 07:50 AM

I searched through the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Archives and I have found out the actual year that the theater opened.  My listing originally had the date at 1930 and the news media stated that it opened in 1941.  The earliest listings for the theater in the paper were from May of 1940, so I assume that the theater opened in that year.  There were no articles or advertisements for the theater in 1939.

#74 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 09:31 PM

I attended the meeting with Mercy Clinic and various members of the neighborhood and I came away from the meeting encouraged.  I think there still may be some hope in saving the Berry Theater.  There will be more community meetings on the subject.  I will have more to post, later.

#75 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 09:19 AM

Austin, I wanted to let the forum know that if the Berry Theater is eventually saved, preserved, and landmarked, you deserve the credit for being the first to notify the city regarding the application for a razing permit. This notification through Social Media has started the discussion to save the building.  If you had not seen the application online, no one would have picked it up.

#76 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 09:22 AM

Austin, I wanted to let the forum know that if the Berry Theater is eventually saved, preserved, and landmarked, you deserve the credit for being the first to notify the city regarding the application for a razing permit. This notification through Social Media has started the discussion to save the building.  If you had not seen the application online, no one would have picked it up.

I've wondered on other cases through the zoning commission, Urban Forestry, HCLC, razing permits etc., when is the city obligated to inform / invite input from the neighborhood associations?  It seems like some of these cases slide under the radar where other one's give plenty of advance notice to the N.A.'s for feedback. 

#77 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 09:30 AM

All cases that go before Boards & Commissions are required to notify all property owners within 300 feet (I think) of the property and the neighborhood or business associations whose boundaries include the property.  I don't believe changes to property that only require permits have any notification allowances in our City Ordinances. 

The Commerical Razing Permit for the Berry Theater was applied for on Friday.  Austin sent out the notification on Sunday.  As of yesterday, the permit had not been granted, so at that time there was no official approval from the City.  If he had not been monitoring, this could have slipped under the radar.

#78 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 11:05 AM

The Dallas Morning News has a story out regarding the meeting.  It is behind a paywall, but if you have access, the link is below:

https://www.dallasne...-amid-pushback/

#79 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 02:05 PM

I'm glad they are reconsidering, hopefully the theater can be utilized again, either for the great work Mercy does or as a community gathering place. 

The DMN article quotes the co-founder of No Se Vende at the end. I thought of organizations like them when this razing permit news came out. Though their heart may be in the right place, when you are anti-development of anything in an area which has seen better days, you're endangering these historic structures. Re-development of empty lots or additional housing gets more stakeholders interested in saving buildings with 'character' and increases the chances of turning the theater back into something.  

• JBB likes this

#80 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 09:40 PM

All cases that go before Boards & Commissions are required to notify all property owners within 300 feet (I think) of the property and the neighborhood or business associations whose boundaries include the property.  I don't believe changes to property that only require permits have any notification allowances in our City Ordinances. 

The Commerical Razing Permit for the Berry Theater was applied for on Friday.  Austin sent out the notification on Sunday.  As of yesterday, the permit had not been granted, so at that time there was no official approval from the City.  If he had not been monitoring, this could have slipped under the radar.

If this does not go before a board or commission, would the course of action be to notify the council members office for that district and request a demolition delay or perhaps petition Development Services for a denial? I know with clear cutting trees, some council members want you to let them know so they can intervene if it is being done outside of permitting.

#81 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 10:08 PM

I attended the meeting with Mercy Clinic and various members of the neighborhood and I came away from the meeting encouraged.  I think there still may be some hope in saving the Berry Theater.  There will be more community meetings on the subject.  I will have more to post, later.

Fort Worth Report follow-up article about the community meeting.
https://fortworthrep...uth-fort-worth/

#82 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 06:21 AM

I did not see that this has been posted here before, but if it has and I missed it forgive me, I'm not the most web savvy individual...these are a few pics of the inside of the theatre as of 2019. Pretty rough but nothing like the condition the Isis was in.

http://www.plastikob...theater8/5/2019

• TLA likes this

#83 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 10:44 AM

The Berry Theater will not be saved.

https://fortworthrep...-health-center/

#84 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 12:25 PM

Austin, thanks for posting this.  I found out about the time you reported, but I was about ready to leave for a committee meeting at Historic Fort Worth.  I appreciate all of my forum members being on the ball.

#85 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 19 July 2023 - 01:09 PM

The Berry Theater will not be saved.

Kinda figured this is where it was heading.  Sad to see some history bite the dust but with that being said I wasn't sure what could be done with the building.  Unlike some of the other historic theaters we have this one seemed to me as being the most endangered because of the lack of businesses/retail around it. 

• TLA likes this

#86 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 03:13 PM

When Austin first posted the demolition, I thought that it might be heading this way.  Even going into the neighborhood meeting with Mercy Clinic, I also felt that the decision to demolish had already been made.  After the Executive Director spoke and said that they were still open to keeping the theater, I thought that there might be a better chance to save it.  However, she did tell us that their Board had to take a vote on keeping or demolishing it, and they would take the vote on July 14th.  I was holding out hope, but not knowing what actually transpired at the meeting, a majority of the Board Members, may have had already made their decision.

#87 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:32 PM

There is already fencing around the building. It looks like, as of yesterday, the razing permit has been issued.

#88 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 09:03 PM

I noticed the fencing last night when I drove by.  I also drove by again tonight.  The theater is still standing, but I'm betting it will be gone by July 29 when the 7-Eleven opens.

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 08:06 AM

Here's more follow up from the Fort Worth Report:

• TLA likes this

#90 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:47 PM

What will happen to the Berry sign? I didn’t see a mention of it. I hope that will be saved. Maybe they can auction it off to raise funds for the clinic.

#91 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 05:22 PM

The Executive Director said they had someone who would take the sign to restore it.  However, they didn't say where it would be displayed, if any place in public.  It would be wonderful if this person gave it back to the clinic and they could place it in approximately the same location where it is now.

#92 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:57 PM

Equipment is now being staged on the north side of the building.  My bet is that it comes down over the weekend, maybe even tomorrow.

#93 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for keeping an eye on it, John.

#94 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 08:40 PM

I'm going to be tied up more tomorrow than usual, so I'm not real sure if I'm going to make it by there.  All you forum members, be on the lookout!

#95 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 08:52 AM

As of about 9am this morning the pole in front of the public in the city ROW was being removed. 

#96 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 09:04 AM

I was thinking about the driver for the demolition, which is the scheduled opening of the 7-Eleven on July 29.  This is the only weekend the theater can be demolished without it being a burden on the convenience store.  I would say if anyone wants to get pictures of the demolition, they should definitely be there on Saturday Morning.

#97 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 02:07 PM

As of 3pm today.

2YUHULN.jpgdmBdi9p.jpg

#98 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 02:22 PM

Wow, talk about pulling off the band-aid. They really arent wasting any time.

I will lose all respect for the Mercy Clinic if they trash that sign.
  • TLA likes this

#99 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 02:42 PM

It sure looks like they are not going to save the sign.

#100 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 03:27 PM

So, let me make sure I understand.  The theater has been rotting and waiting for someone to save it for nearly 35 years and the non-profit that received the building as a gift and, from all appearances, provides valuable services to their surrounding low-income community is being threatened with a lack of respect because the sign is still up before demolition begins?  To paraphrase Celine Dion, I'm sure their heart will go on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users