23 replies to this topic

#1 tturedraider

tturedraider

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

Does anyone know what Autobahn Motors is building next to their Porsche dealership? It used to be a rough terrain type course which I assume they used for demonstrating Land Rovers. But in just the last week or two they tore that down. I notice they've put up pylons for light poles, but somehow I can't imagine them doing all that demolition just to make it a parking lot.

Anyone in the know? I've been thinking they ought to open a Mini dealership.

#2 tturedraider

tturedraider

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (tturedraider @ Apr 19 2010, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know what Autobahn Motors is building next to their Porsche dealership? It used to be a rough terrain type course which I assume they used for demonstrating Land Rovers. But in just the last week or two they tore that down. I notice they've put up pylons for light poles, but somehow I can't imagine them doing all that demolition just to make it a parking lot.

Anyone in the know? I've been thinking they ought to open a Mini dealership.

Well, my imagination was wrong. They are putting in an additional parking area. I guess they thought they should take advantage of that mostly unused space to display more product, which makes sense.

#3 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

My guess is they're betting the gas guzzlers won't be making a strong come back anytime soon.
Who owns Autobahn Motors?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Seems the ownership of the place is a mystery! Most dealership owners are very proud to put their names on their dealerships, even if it's just part owner, perhaps its because people like to know who they're buying from, if they're going to stand behind what they sell.

I was curious if they were owned or related to the one in San Mateo CA.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 stgo2019

stgo2019

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (David Love @ Apr 25 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems the ownership of the place is a mystery! Most dealership owners are very proud to put their names on their dealerships, even if it's just part owner, perhaps its because people like to know who they're buying from, if they're going to stand behind what they sell.

Autobahn has been at that location for about 40 years. I saw an old Autobahn VW advertisement in a magazine from 1970.

I've purchased 2 cars from them and actually like the fact that I don't have to break out the hair dryer and floss to peel off the dealership emblem off of the back of my cars.

It's a great dealership with excellent service so it doesn't matter to me who owns it.

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (stgo2019 @ Apr 25 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (David Love @ Apr 25 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Autobahn has been at that location for about 40 years. I saw an old Autobahn VW advertisement in a magazine from 1970.

I've purchased 2 cars from them and actually like the fact that I don't have to break out the hair dryer and floss to peel off the dealership emblem off of the back of my cars.

It's a great dealership with excellent service so it doesn't matter to me who owns it.

That's interesting, being there for 40 years you'd think more people on the forum would know something about them.

I've not heard anything positive or negative about them, anyone can sell a high-end zero defect product, it's when you do have problems, that's when you discover what kind of dealership you're dealing with and high end sports cars are not known for a low cost of ownership.

#7 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

Autobahn is owned by a man named John Chase - at least, it was in the not-too-distant past.

You don't hear much about it because it's quite good at what it does, and because it's a smaller, lower-volume dealership. I would wager that the two highest-volume wings of the business are BMW and Volkswagen.

They strike me as much more professional than most dealerships - there is a much lower amount of skeevy typical car dealer types there, by and large.

--

Kara B.

#8 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Fort Worthology @ Apr 26 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Autobahn is owned by a man named John Chase - at least, it was in the not-too-distant past.

You don't hear much about it because it's quite good at what it does, and because it's a smaller, lower-volume dealership. I would wager that the two highest-volume wings of the business are BMW and Volkswagen.

They strike me as much more professional than most dealerships - there is a much lower amount of skeevy typical car dealer types there, by and large.

I know he runs the place, and very well could own part of it. However I have heard that one of the Bass brothers (Robert?)is the main money behind the operation.

#9 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

Was Autobahn not located on 7th Street at University before their current White Settlement Road location? I remember the BMW dealership in the now demolished building near 7th/University/Norwood. I can't remember if the other car brands were over on WS Rd and BMW just moved over and joined them or if they all moved at the same time.
Interesting how that stretch of 7th used to be an automobile car lot row - so glad it has moved over to White Settlement Rd.

As for the parking lot on WS Rd, it appears to me that it is for an expansion of the Porsche dealership.

#10 Eric_T

Eric_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

Overseas Motors was on White Settlement Rd where Autobahn is today.

University Volkswagen was at University and White Settlement where Braum's is now.

#11 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

So who owns the Autobahn Motors on White Settlement Road back behind Target?

I've been hearing some negative things about their work and was curious who a person would contact if they've hit a brick wall with management etc...

In my younger days I had a thing for Porsche 911's, think it was more the idea of owning one rather than the car itself, I've test drove a number of them since, once you can afford one the shine seems to dull a bit, and think to myself, "REALLY I thought they'd drive WAY better than this!" I see one now and I just grin and shake my head. What was I thinking?

#12 since63

since63

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Bavarian Motors was at the southeast corner of 7th and University.R D Ryno owned the dealership and his father had a Mazda dealership

#13 since63

since63

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Before the present day Autobahn there was in the same location a concern that sold grey market European cars named Autobahn.When John Chase bought the location for his Volvo dealership he liked the name and kept it.But these were two different businesses.

#14 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

I think it was even called Western Motors, or Imports before it was Bavarian Motors.  I bought a '76 BMW 2002 used in '83 from the Hurst Mazda dealer and the paperwork Said Western somethingorother.  I kept that car 25 years.

Bavarian Motors spanned that whole except for the gas station that was on the corner.  Service and parts was on the eastern side and around back.  The showroom was small and faced University. 

#15 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

The only thing I find more visually offensive than a strip mall is a car dealership.

#16 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

The only thing I find more visually offensive than a strip mall is a car dealership.

If you ask me, that depends on the cars being sold.  For some reason, this looks a lot nicer to me than a CarMax...

20009.JPG

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

A lot of newer dealerships are actually pretty interesting buildings. The issue is they are total wastelands around them.

Of course parking a 458 outside anything will make it look better ;)

#18 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

David, that's a broad generalization.

#19 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

95% of car dealerships are nothing more than a big parking lot with a full service square shed strategically placed so you have to drive by their bull pen so the salesmen can size you up. As far as architecture goes I place them somewhere along the lines of a parking garage.

The closest to art most of those structures will ever get is the vehicles they house.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:55 AM

Autobahn now exploring building in Benbrook.  The Fort Worth Report has a story on the possibility.

https://fortworthrep...-plans-unclear/

#21 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:18 PM

Autobahn now exploring building in Benbrook.  The Fort Worth Report has a story on the possibility.

That would be awful.  The location Audi chose (Winscott & I-20) is really bad. 

Anyone living out southwest of town comes in this way often.  Any of us living in central FW do not head out that way often, making that journey very inconvenient. 

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:34 PM

I'm surprised they don't just go look for land in Walsh/Aledo. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 07:04 AM

I'm surprised they don't just go look for land in Walsh/Aledo.

Perhaps that would be *too* far out of town.

My blog: Doohickie

#24 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 AM

Autobahn has withdrawn its application for Benbrook as it considers places to relocate,
https://fortworthrep...worth-benbrook/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users