John T Roberts's Content

There have been 602 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 15-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#152177 Hilton Hotel Annex Sold

Posted by John T Roberts on Today, 10:14 PM in Commercial

Signage has been installed at the base of the building.  This photo was taken tonight.

53722687980_265e405e1e_k.jpglemeridiensignage by jtrobert, on Flickr

#152176 Deco 969 - 27 Floors, 315 ft. - 969 Commerce St.

Posted by John T Roberts on Today, 10:07 PM in Residential

Here are the first photographs on the forum of the base at night.  Not all of the lights were on, and none of the lights at the top of the building were illuminated.

53722678785_e21985e6de_k.jpgdeco969-baseatnight by jtrobert, on Flickr

53721344457_634157ce1a_k.jpgdeco969-artatnight by jtrobert, on Flickr

#152171 Fort Worth Stockyards

Posted by John T Roberts on Today, 04:02 PM in Commercial

The Current Los Vaqueros Mexican Restaurant is located within the boundary of the Stockyards National Register Historic District.  It has no other historic designations.

The La Plaza Building where the restaurant will be relocating is also located within the Stockyards National Register Historic District, the City of Fort Worth Stockyards Historic District, and is individually designated as Demolition Delay.

#152157 FWST - Amon Carter Field/Greater Fort Worth Airport

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 May 2024 - 10:11 PM in Historic Photographs

That eastern boundary is the county line.  It was also the boundary of the old Amon Carter Field.  When the airport was built, I believe the City annexed the land for the old airport, and the way they reached it was that they annexed some of the roads up to it.  From what I can remember, only the roads were annexed and the property on either side was not.

#152153 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 11 May 2024 - 01:18 PM in Announcements

For those of you who missed the tour today, we were fortunate enough to actually go inside the Hollywood Theater.  Only my group of the two had this opportunity.  There was no light in the space, so we could only use our cell phones.  My photographs did not turn out well.  I was also rushed because they only allowed 10 people at a time to go into the space.

#152151 Marfa

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 May 2024 - 12:06 PM in Surrounding Cities

You will have fun, even if you aren't on a bicycle.  The terrain is challenging out there when you are riding a bicycle. 

The community is very artistic and there are several interesting places to visit.  One night, you should try to go out to the Marfa Lights Viewing Pavilion to see if you can see them.  Also, star gazing at the Pavilion is excellent. 

#152148 Marfa

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 May 2024 - 07:18 AM in Surrounding Cities

Rriojas71, you should.  It's a great place to visit.  Every year, the Fort Worth Bicycling Association has a 3 day ride in the Davis Mountains, starting in Fort Davis.  On the second day, the route goes from Fort Davis, to Alpine, to Marfa, and back to Fort Davis. 

#152139 Ellis-Pecan Bldg

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 May 2024 - 12:10 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

AIAFW had a continuing education session at the Ellis Pecan Building on Wednesday.  It was my first opportunity to go inside and I will admit that it is still a grand space and I look forward to see Transform 1012 N. Main executing their plan for the building.  Over the years, I did have a few legal opportunities to go inside, but it wasn't ever possible with my work schedule.

#152138 FWISD School Consolidation

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 May 2024 - 11:56 PM in Public & Institutional

By the way, I had a busy day on Wednesday and I measured an older building that didn't have air conditioning and after work, the AIA had a tour of the Transform 1012 N. Main Building (Ellis Pecan).  It was also hot on the tour.  Anyway, tonight I went to bed and then woke up and I couldn't get back to sleep.  That's why I'm posting this, now.

The red brick building on the south side of the J.P. Elder Campus is what is called the J.P. Elder Annex.  Originally, it was built in 1918 as the North Fort Worth High School.  It is listed on the main site's Northside page as "North Fort Worth High School/J.P. Elder Annex".  The building description gives some of the history of the building.  You have to remember that back in 1918, North Fort Worth was a separate city and was not absorbed into Fort Worth until 1922. 

#152114 Fort Worth Parks

Posted by John T Roberts on 07 May 2024 - 08:18 PM in City Issues

You got close.  Those are nice progress photos.

#152104 Veale Ranch

Posted by John T Roberts on 07 May 2024 - 07:53 AM in Commercial

I'm thinking that the Walmart property might be a distribution center, instead of a store.  They have a large Supercenter right off the edge of the map that you posted, and it is fairly new.

#152082 Buddie's Super Markets

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 May 2024 - 06:01 PM in Local History

Doohickie, you have them reversed. 

East side of Westcliff Center:

• Worth Food Mart
  • Piggly Wiggly
  • Westcliff Hardware
  • Jabo's Ace Hardware

West side of Center:

• Wyatt Food Store
  • Kroger Wyatt Food Store
  • Minyard's Food Store
  • City Market
  • Albertson's

I hope that I got all of the tenants listed.  I may have forgotten some, but I think everyone can get the drift on how those stores changed over the years.

From what is exposed, you can see that the original center had some Art Deco detailing.

#152075 TEXRail

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 May 2024 - 05:06 PM in Transportation

FunkyTownTay, we will have to see what happens with that property.  It would be nice to use it as a transfer station. 

#152046 Old Cooks/Healthsouth campus on Lancaster

Posted by John T Roberts on 03 May 2024 - 07:55 AM in Commercial

I don't think I have answered this question before, and I'm not sure I have all of the answers.  The COFW requirements are tougher than the National Register's for individual nomination.  From what I can remember, I believe that it is our City's Preservation Ordinance that the HCLC reviews and approves the National Register's nomination of a structure within our city limits.  This approval is only a recommendation.

The notification was sent yesterday that the old W.I. Cook Children's Hospital on Lancaster is now officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

#152030 FWISD property sell off

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 May 2024 - 10:43 AM in Public & Institutional

I'm sorry that I didn't get over there to take any pictures.  This is another FWISD building where I have done work. 

#152027 FWISD School Consolidation

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 May 2024 - 10:17 AM in Public & Institutional

Here is a link to a FWISD Page that has all six Middle School Presentations available.  These presentations give more details on the problems and the design on all six campuses. Click the "Learn More" link inside the table on the page.

https://www.fwisd.org/domain/8949

#152023 FWISD property sell off

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 May 2024 - 09:43 AM in Public & Institutional

Any photographs?

#152017 Light Pollution Map defines "The Metroplex"

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 May 2024 - 10:50 PM in Urban Design and Planning

On the opposite side of things, now we know why the star gazing is so great out in Big Bend National Park. 

#152015 T&P Building (Texas & Pacific Railway Terminal Building)

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 May 2024 - 10:01 PM in Residential

This doesn't surprise me with the way all of that infrastructure was constructed.  I doubt that the Terminal Building is in danger of collapse, but this should be fixed. 

#152014 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 May 2024 - 09:59 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Someone should report this to the city with a photograph to back it up.

#152001 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 May 2024 - 03:48 PM in City Issues

The home in question was purchased by a preservationist and restored.  I have been fortunate to tour the beautiful home after it was saved and restored.  It is no longer in danger.

#151998 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 May 2024 - 02:00 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Those deteriorating structural issues need to be addressed quickly, or something terrible could happen.

#151988 Fort Worth Parks

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 May 2024 - 10:59 AM in City Issues

Growing up in the area does have its advantages.  I'm pretty sure right now those stairs are blocked with the construction at the pool. I haven't walked down them in a few years. 

There are several historic bridges within the zoo grounds.  Some of them you can see when you are in the zoo.  I think the one that I am referring is back in the service area for Texas Wild.  It is right off of Park Place on the south side of the street and the pool.  The creek is next to the road at that point.

#151982 Fort Worth Parks

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 May 2024 - 07:35 AM in City Issues

As I had mentioned before, this was one of the pools where I swam when I was a kid.  There also used to be a couple of secluded tennis courts to the southwest in what is now the service area and Texas Wild.  We used to go over to those courts to play because they were free and never crowded.  There is also a historic bridge over Zoo Creek back in there.  Finally, there are some historic steps down to the pool from Tillery Park, up on the bluff. 

TLA, I also drove through there Sunday, but I didn't take any photographs.  I also agree that one month seems ambitious.

#151970 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 April 2024 - 02:11 PM in Announcements

Great photos, TLA!

The next tour returns to Downtown.  We will be viewing the history of the Fort Worth Skyscraper.  The date is May 11th, and the time and place are 9:00 AM at the Texas & Pacific Railway Terminal.