57 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

This was part of the bond but city is seeking additional funding via Transportation Development Credits (TDC's) The outline indicates construction start Q2 2022 and ending by q3 2023. The plan would add landscaped medians, new crosswalks, and several repairs to the area.

gweBDKq.png

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

I think you mean Trinity Park.

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

Instead of all that, I'd prefer they just build a pedestrian bridge at Rock Springs Road and be done with it.

My blog: Doohickie

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

This was part of the bond but city is seeking additional funding via Transportation Development Credits (TDC's) The outline indicates construction start Q2 2022 and ending by q3 2023. The plan would add landscaped medians, new crosswalks, and several repairs to the area.

gweBDKq.png

Wait, oh no....the rebuild calls for crosswalks on University.  This would be inviting "hit and runs".

#5 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

gweBDKq.png

Wait, oh no....the rebuild calls for crosswalks on University.  This would be inviting "hit and runs".
I think part of the reason tree lined medians are being put in is to slow down traffic and to offer a safe haven in the middle for pedestrians. Of course I think the consensus among most of us forumers is that wed love to see a bike/ped bridge crossing University and maybe down the line that will happen. Honestly Id love to see bridges at the Trinity Park/Botanical entrance and also further South on University connecting Westbend and University Village.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

Earlier in the Botanic Garden Thread, I suggested that a portion of Trinity Park should become a part of the BG replacing the plan to expand the BG southwest of the Japanese Gardens to West Freeway and Montgomery Street.

Put in a land bridge spanning University Drive and connecting TP and BG;  and build wall/fence along both sides of University between Crestline and Rock Springs Drive.  Proceeds from selling the West Freeway @ Montgomery could be applied to the cost of the land bridge, walls, etc.

It has been my observation that the speed along this section of University Drive is too fast for foot traffic and will remain too fast unless traffic lights are installed to cause vehicles not to accelerate between the West Freeway and Crestline.  Putting in "crosswalks" do not make it safer; only gives pedestrian a false sense of security.

1536481009-2018.ekodukt.ts.jpg

Utah-Wildlife-Bridge-889x500.jpg

#7 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:59 PM

It has been my observation that the speed along this section of University Drive is too fast for foot traffic and will remain too fast unless traffic lights are installed to cause vehicles not to accelerate between the West Freeway and Crestline.  Putting in "crosswalks" do not make it safer; only gives pedestrian a false sense of security.

Completely agreed.  Despite the 40 MPH speed limit, some drivers will try to push 50 or so along that segment of University, way too fast to let pedestrians cross without a grade separation.  Put in traffic lights at Rock Springs and/or the Botanic Garden/BRIT entrance and you might be able to have at-grade crossing(s) there.

Expanding the Botanic Garden over to part of Trinity Park (the forested area roughly between University and the mini-train) might also be a good idea, but only as long as the Trinity Park Loop Trail (AKA the "Mayfest detour") remains open to runners and bikers there.  An outdoor performing arts venue like Houston's Miller Outdoor Theatre (in Hermann Park) might also be a good idea.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#8 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

gweBDKq.png

Hey Austin55
Where online can I find this ?
Thanks

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

Hey Austin55

Thanks

It will go before council tomorrow, should be more detail after that.

#10 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

Hey Austin55
Thanks

It will go before council tomorrow, should be more detail after that.

Many thanks

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

Here's an article with some more detils on this and several other projects.

http://www.fortworth...41c2c4acc1.html

• JBB likes this

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

This has info on the University project too.

• JBB likes this

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

Via Reddit, more details on the reconstruction south of highways towards the River.

gAPACYmIZvaJGSrx1KRDM4jzTP3wgpuaQiM6mWhE

#14 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

Via Reddit, more details on the reconstruction south of highways towards the River.

gAPACYmIZvaJGSrx1KRDM4jzTP3wgpuaQiM6mWhE

Yes. I love it. The same thing needs to be to University north of seventh all the way to White Settlement Road including a traffic light in between both streets.

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:00 PM

This appears to be kicking off next spring (likely behind the paywall):

https://www.star-tel...e251978183.html

#16 chmartin79

chmartin79

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:19 AM

Until something is done about the University exit off I-30 going west bound, these changes are moot in my opinion.  That exit is probably the worst exit off an interstate that has ever been devised.  

#17 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:32 AM

100%. Who ever thought that would be a good idea?

#18 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

Until something is done about the University exit off I-30 going west bound, these changes are moot in my opinion.  That exit is probably the worst exit off an interstate that has ever been devised.  

I think the eastbound entrance to I-30 is actually worse. Its as if they made the freeway and figured out at the last minute that they forgot to and an on ramp and just squeezed it in at the worst location possible.

#19 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 08:33 AM

Something I learned elsewhere on this forum- there's a westbound exit for University Drive if you take the Chisholm Trail Parkway exit. It's the first and only free exit once you're on CTP.

Freeway signs ought to designate the Chisholm Trail Parkway exit as the University Drive exit as well. Get rid of the old exit.

-Dylan

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:10 AM

Pointing out that there is an exit for University is quite useful info.  :) 

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 11:40 AM

Work starts October per city council.

https://fortworthgov...E0-7C7242ED9290

The 2018 Bond Program allocated funds for improvements to University Drive between the Trinity River Bridge and West Rosedale Street, a length of approximately 2,100 linear feet. Major items of work consist of asphalt mill and overlay, sanitary sewer replacement, the addition of a traffic signal at the intersection of University Drive and Collinsworth Street, access control (median), pedestrian bicycle and transit improvements, landscaping, and wayfinding signage. Construction is anticipated to start in October 2022.

#22 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:32 PM

Work starts October per city council.

https://fortworthgov...E0-7C7242ED9290

The 2018 Bond Program allocated funds for improvements to University Drive between the Trinity River Bridge and West Rosedale Street, a length of approximately 2,100 linear feet. Major items of work consist of asphalt mill and overlay, sanitary sewer replacement, the addition of a traffic signal at the intersection of University Drive and Collinsworth Street, access control (median), pedestrian bicycle and transit improvements, landscaping, and wayfinding signage. Construction is anticipated to start in October 2022.

Just in time for home TCU Football games to begin... is there a posted estimate as for time of completion? I coudn't find that

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:24 PM

Just in time for home TCU Football games to begin... is there a posted estimate as for time of completion? I coudn't find that

Looks like about a year. (which, in Fort Worth speak, means around 18 months)

DWkm7iE.png

Phase II is a bit further away,

xCzfVRJ.png

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:31 PM

There's some sort of public meeting in a few weeks for this project.

#25 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 02:21 PM

Totally, wasn't 7th Street supposed to be done in early July?  It is late Sep now and it is still at least a month away from being completed.

#26 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:43 AM

Totally, wasn't 7th Street supposed to be done in early July?  It is late Sep now and it is still at least a month away from being completed.

The West 7th street was supposed to be done by Feb... then May... then Sept... now it's supposedly October...

the redo of north beach ran years overschedule, as did south main... it seems unreal that the city has yet to put any sort of time controls on these projects or penalties for contractors not meeting deadlines

#27 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:01 PM

It seems unreal that the city has yet to put any sort of time controls on these projects or penalties for contractors not meeting deadlines

Except the W7th bridge. That was on time and under budget I believe.
My blog: Doohickie

#28 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 07:29 AM

I wasn't sure how the project phasing worked, so I looked it up on the city's capital project page:

KI5gfQx.png

In retrospect I guess that's pretty obvious.  :laugh:

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 10:19 AM

it seems unreal that the city has yet to put any sort of time controls on these projects or penalties for contractors not meeting deadlines

There are tradeoffs. Any contractor that agrees to penalties is likely going to demand a higher guaranteed price. The opposite goes for bonuses. The city is going to want a lower guaranteed price for early bonuses and contractors are going to be reluctant to agree to that in the current labor and materials market.

#30 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 06 October 2022 - 11:43 AM

Project 101588 only had one bidder and they were awarded the project.  The city's construction estimate was $2-3M.

gmKTX0b.png

U8RpHvz.png

W3AozZa.png

#31 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:40 PM

it seems unreal that the city has yet to put any sort of time controls on these projects or penalties for contractors not meeting deadlines

There are tradeoffs. Any contractor that agrees to penalties is likely going to demand a higher guaranteed price. The opposite goes for bonuses. The city is going to want a lower guaranteed price for early bonuses and contractors are going to be reluctant to agree to that in the current labor and materials market.

I know on the Montgomery St rework before the arena opened the contractor was graded and had project total based on the number of change orders accepted, so just flat refused to change anything.  Street not lining up with engress to driveways, no worries just build it as requested but don't change order it.  so then at the end they just started over . . . 

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:01 PM

Phase 1 starts Feb 6: https://www.fortwort...-update-january

#33 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:06 PM

I'm happy for the road diet but also dreading the traffic disruptions that will be happening

#34 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 08:48 PM

Project 101588 only had one bidder and they were awarded the project.  The city's construction estimate was $2-3M.

gmKTX0b.png

I guess TDLR doesn't round up to the nearest dollar?

Posted today: https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023010833

PROJECT
Project Name: University Drive Project - CPN101588-Pedistrian and Access Management Improvements
Project Number: TABS2023010833
Facility Name: University Drive Project
Location Address: S. University Drive
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 2/2/2023
Completion Date: 2/29/2024
Estimated Cost: $3,406,056
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration
Type of Funds: This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work: Sidewalks, pedestrian ramps, traffic signals, mill/overlays/street lighting, sewer line.
Square Footage: 14,802 ft 2

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 08:59 PM

I'm happy for the road diet but also dreading the traffic disruptions that will be happening

Delayed by a week and it's terrible.  Forest Park and 8th Ave. northbound were both backed up pretty good yesterday.  Took me 30 minutes to get from my parking space to 121.  That and a wreck on 121 turned my 30 minute drive home into an hour and 10.

#36 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 01:36 PM

university-roll-plot.jpg?w=2000&h=1125

university-phase1-1.jpg

university-phase1-2.jpg

university-phase1-3.jpg

university-phase1-4.jpg

university-phase-1-landscaping1.jpg

university-phase1-landscaping2.jpg

#37 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 31 October 2023 - 11:57 AM

I like the flowers.

#38 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 04:03 PM

Project update: Things are kind of a mess with the turn lanes right now.  Was through here on a Sunday afternoon and it was manageable but I can't imagine the headache on a weekday afternoon during rush hour.

EUolPJc.jpg

#39 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 06:10 PM

Southbound is manageable in the mornings and I will not go northbound at any time of day or southbound at any other time.  Lunch hours are unbearable.  Avoid at all costs.

#40 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 12:19 PM

Southbound is manageable in the mornings and I will not go northbound at any time of day or southbound at any other time.  Lunch hours are unbearable.  Avoid at all costs.

I've driven through that area a lot recently, and I'd have to agree with you. I've noticed problems going southbound near I-30, as traffic wanting to continue south on University Drive has to move from the left lane to the middle lane if they don't want to go east on I-30.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#41 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 01:39 PM

If you are going westbound on I-30 past downtown and want to go south on University, take the Chisholm Trail Parkway exit and stay to the right and the last free exit is University Dr.  It brings you to the stop light at the bridges and if southbound looks like a nightmare, you still have northbound as an out or even going straight across to hit Rogers Rd.  I haven't tried this in heavy traffic but certainly gives you some options.

ZD8M7Fr.png

#42 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 02:18 PM

I take that route every morning and University isn't bad if you stay in the right lane.  Traffic turning left on Old University backs up the left lane almost back to Rosedale.  Rogers Road is still a mess with the utility work and it's hit or miss on whether or not you can get through without being detoured back to University.

#43 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:12 AM

If you are going westbound on I-30 past downtown and want to go south on University, take the Chisholm Trail Parkway exit and stay to the right and the last free exit is University Dr.  It brings you to the stop light at the bridges and if southbound looks like a nightmare, you still have northbound as an out or even going straight across to hit Rogers Rd.  I haven't tried this in heavy traffic but certainly gives you some options.

ZD8M7Fr.png

I almost always use that exit to access University Drive myself when I'm driving westbound on I-30. I think the only times I've used the the University Drive exit along I-30 itself, ever since the Chisholm Trail Parkway opened, was when I was trying to drive between Forest Park Boulevard and University Drive.

I think what keeps traffic down on that ramp is the signage saying that the exit to Chisholm Trail Parkway is a toll road (which is true, but tolling doesn't begin until after the University Drive offramp). This gives the illusion that all traffic exiting westbound I-30 for the CTP will have to pay a toll, when that's not true for those taking the CTP exit who then exit the CTP at University Drive.

Sydney B. Claridge

#44 shanejrhere

shanejrhere

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 03:45 AM

I try to avoid traffic on I-30 generally between 7:30 am and 9:00 am, and between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm.

#45 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 05:56 AM

Fort Worth Report,
University Drive: The Nightmare Before Christmas for Holiday Shoppers https://fortworthrep...liday-shoppers/

#46 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:00 PM

Fort Worth Report,
University Drive: The Nightmare Before Christmas for Holiday Shoppers https://fortworthrep...liday-shoppers/

According to a person in the article, who lives in Aledo but lived near TCU, he wondered if 2 extra lanes would be enough.  What?  I guess he thinks it should be an 8 lane freeway and most likely why he moved to Aledo; so he can drive everywhere he wants to go.

#47 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:11 PM

What extra lanes is he talking about?  University isn't being widened.  Traffic is heavy on that stretch of the street, but eliminating the center turn lane is going to help with flow.

#48 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:33 PM

What extra lanes is he talking about?  University isn't being widened.  Traffic is heavy on that stretch of the street, but eliminating the center turn lane is going to help with flow.

Not sure but I am also not sure if he understands what they are trying to do with making this better for pedestrians and .  He is probably stuck in the mindset that you build wider to help people get out of areas quicker.  

#49 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 03:32 PM

Just one more lane… just one more.

I was shopping here on Saturday. The road construction is certainly a headache, but the shopping plaza design inflicts pain that will last beyond the construction. It’s inhospitable to both shoppers walking and driving. I shopped at ClearFork right before and it works much better. At some point it will be economically viable to build a garage and build more commercial/residential on the property.

#50 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 09:39 AM

Just one more lane… just one more.

I was shopping here on Saturday. The road construction is certainly a headache, but the shopping plaza design inflicts pain that will last beyond the construction. It’s inhospitable to both shoppers walking and driving. I shopped at ClearFork right before and it works much better. At some point it will be economically viable to build a garage and build more commercial/residential on the property.

one more lane bro, I swear... one more lane will fix traffic  :swg:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users