Photo
- - - - -

Area NE of White Settlement & University (Panther City District)

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

The area North of White Settlement is currently composed of warehouses, industrial uses, car dealerships and scrapyards. I think the area is poised for redevelopment into more urban, commercial and residential uses. The West 7th area is running out of room, and as development has spilled over into Linwood it seems the next destination will be even further north. White Settlement could be a core road comparable to how 7th Street is the major thoroughfare to that area. The area has over half a mile of direct river frontage along the levee as well, something which West 7th doesn't have as much. It will also have a direct connection to Panther Island which could overflow development into the area. In total the area is about 150 acres.

The ISD's big property selloff includes several plots of land in this area totaling up to about 20 acres. It will be really interesting to see what sort of buyers purchase these plots, whether it be industrial users continuing to use the area as is or developers looking to get a good deal on what I think might be a prime area in the coming years. 

Now the big issue here is that the area falls into a 100 year floodplain, which would obviously prohibit development. This of course comes around to the TRV and whether or not that project is capable of being completed as planned. 

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

It took me a while searching for something related to this topic, but I will add that it is a very intriguing area which is ripe for development. Lots of industrial buildings that can be repurposed for a number of uses. 

I am glad that it is getting some recognition.

I gave the area/district the nickname of "Shamrock" in deference to the Irish names of the streets: Tillar (German/Irish), Cullen (Irish) and of course Shamrock. I love the roundabouts  as some of you know and for which I opined about back when. The roundabouts can be interesting public spaces (water, plants, statues) to make the subdistrict very inviting to walk and to enjoy.  The riverfront potential is definitely intriguing.

Proposed at the current site of the restaurant equipment sales site on the north side of White Settlement Rd between Carroll and Vacek. Re-purposing of the existing structures to coworking space and restaurant.

oHHcLgv.jpg

ytolIRW.jpg

0vHLBGR.jpg

F9Xz0X4.jpg

The particularly interesting thing about this is is the slow migration north of West 7th's urban crawl. The area between White Settlement and the Trinity River has been attracting investor interest for a while now, where almost all of the land is just industrial use. The coming years should be really curious in this area. Perhaps once the White Settlement bridge opens (supposedly 2020) it will really start to set even more projects in motion.

Looks great. I've always thought this area had a lot of potential to have creative office space in the old warehouses. Is this part of the M2G Ventures' Foundry District?

I too think that this area (I nick named Shamrock) will be developed inevitably into creative uses.  I love the traffic circles, river frontage,  and the warehouses.

This area has great potential as well because of the close link it has to the trinity trails and Rockwood Park, which I believe has more potential to have an impact on downtown and the inner city than Gateway because it can be seamlessly connected to Downtown, the River District, Panther Island and W. 7th and the Cultural District.  I think if the apartments that are planned for N. University near the Go Karts get built that will help as well.

#3 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

Austin

Are you speaking of the Calloway Park river Oaks areas along 183 

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

He's talking about University Drive and eastward I think.

My blog: Doohickie

#5 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

Austin

Are you speaking of the Calloway Park river Oaks areas along 183 

The area behind the current Fort Worth ISD administration building.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

Here's an interesting conversion of an older warehouse into office spaces.

image.jpg

#7 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

I wonder if warehouse district would be more appropriate than foundry district if we are naming neighborhoods. I understand theres warehouses all over Ft. Worth but it is very concentrated there. Thoughts?

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:55 AM

I think the train has already left the station.

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:04 AM

The area North of White Settlement is'nt "branded" as far as I know. From The Foundry's own marketing,

pjHaGCU.png

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

I wonder if warehouse district would be more appropriate than foundry district if we are naming neighborhoods. I understand theres warehouses all over Ft. Worth but it is very concentrated there. Thoughts?

I wonder if there is too much a marketing fad to brand a area as a "district" and even though I did so right on in post #2,  perhaps it should just be identified by its historical platting name.  The historic platting names are fascinating.  Who would have imagined that what is branded now as "Left Bank" (too foofoo) is actually Westwood which is actually a nice enough brand name in and of itself.

I think there are only two areas that can legitimately be thought of as "go to districts" outside of and includes Downtown: Cultural/Exhibition District and the Historical Stockyards District.

Edited by John T Roberts, 21 February 2020 - 01:26 PM.
Corrected misspelled words

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:32 PM

Rename, I corrected your misspelled words.  Platting has two "T"s.

Some of the original names of the areas are actually much better than the contrived names.  I like "Westwood" better than "Left Bank".  However, where this probably falls flat is in a neighborhood like Fairmount, which is within a very defined area bounded by 8th Ave., Magnolia, Hemphill, and Jessamine on the south.(The northern boundary of the Ryan Place Addition.)  "Fairmount" is actually a collection of additions with many different names.  Only the part between 5th Ave., Jessamine, 8th Ave., and a boundary between Allen and Myrtle Streets on the north was the actual Fairmount Addition. 

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:40 PM

I guess "Baileys Industrial Addition" doesn't have a great ring to it.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

If you were able to research the platting name of the area and if it is Bailey, then branding it Bailey's Park or something like that would have a great ring to it, mightn't it?

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:34 PM

If you were able to research the platting name of the area and if it is Bailey, then branding it Bailey's Park or something like that would have a great ring to it, mightn't it?

wonderful20bailey20park-thumb.jpg

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:01 PM

It is official and its Bailey's - t_2042-396.pdf

The (Burial) Plot Thickens: Bailey’s Bluff | Hometown by Handlebar

note: The long history of the "swastika" before Nazism is discussed.

#16 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:31 PM

It is official and its Bailey's - t_2042-396.pdf

The (Burial) Plot Thickens: Bailey’s Bluff | Hometown by Handlebar

note: The long history of the "swastika" before Nazism is discussed.

I think that will through things off calling it that because people may confuse it with Bailey St. which is close but not really tied to the area. Warehouse District like someone mentioned gets my vote

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

What in the world is a "warehouse district" and anyway wouldn't that be Alliance?

Bailey Street is called "Bailey" because of it historical tie to the Bailey Farm Homestead for which University Blvd now dissects.  Culllen Street is named for Bailey's son.

I think it is a good idea to stick with the original name of a neighborhood.  All it takes is a bit of research to discover the rich historical heritage of our neighborhoods.

#18 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

What in the world is a "warehouse district" and anyway wouldn't that be Alliance?

Bailey Street is called "Bailey" because of it historical tie to the Bailey Farm Homestead for which University Blvd now dissects.  Culllen Street is named for Bailey's son.

I think it is a good idea to stick with the original name of a neighborhood.  All it takes is a bit of research to discover the rich historical heritage of our neighborhoods.

Maybe it's an area where there are several warehouses?  Several Cities have Warehouse Districts... New Orleans, New York, etc...  it's not that out of the ordinary.  The majority of People are not going to put in any research to finding out why a neighborhood is named what it is.

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

Maybe it's an area where there are several warehouses?  Several Cities have Warehouse Districts... New Orleans, New York, etc...  it's not that out of the ordinary.  The majority of People are not going to put in any research to finding out why a neighborhood is named what it is.

I don't disagree that there are several industrial spaces in the area east of University and north of WSR. 

However, several cities having a" Warehouse District" says one possible thing: it might be the only or the largest  concentration of warehouses in that city and would be akin to well defined areas such as the stockyards, the museums, etc.

How much work does it really take to do some research that will specifically brand and pinpoint your development?  I realize some people (developers) might have higher priorities than to do research to arrive at a brand for their projects.  I do think that the wrong brand can be bad and it might explain the reason that we have catchy generic brands like "left bank"  "uptown" "upper west side", "lower east side" and "near south".  Among the many smart things that Bass did when developing his downtown holdings was to brand it Sundance to connect this part of downtown with the historical involvement of the Sundance Gang with Fort Worth.

A lack of historical curiosity or for want of effort does not alter the fact that all places have provenance. If however there is some research taken, an area's businesses can have a unique identity which separate them from other areas within a city.

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

Dallas's "Design District" actually reminds me a lot of this area. It's a mostly light industrial and warehouse district right along the levees and adjacent hot urban real estate.

Example

#21 Randall

Randall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:31 AM

I met the family Saturday morning at the old South pancake House for breakfast. After breakfast I took a drive down to White Settlement Rd. / Carroll the to West 7th. I turned into the Left Bank area and noticed all the bikes and patio chairs on all the apartments balconies. Then I noticed all the vehicles lined up on the side streets bumper to bumper. Looked like a street in LA. Did the city miss the planning of parking in this area? Two way streets are only passable with one vehicle at a time.

#22 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:07 PM

Randall, I'm guessing you're talking about Carroll Street (side street that backs up w/ traffic) - is that right?

There is DEFINITELY an abundance of parking north of 7th Street.  The two big development projects north of 7th Street, east of University both involved planning around grocery anchored retail projects, and therefore they have big surface parking lots.  The newer of the two, Left Bank, did a better job of facing retail stores (mostly) both toward 7th Street and the parking lot to the north.  I think this was a battle with the developer, who preferred for the building to totally turn its back to 7th Street.  A couple of blocks to the north of 7th Street are probably around 1000 apartment units in three different projects, with I think two remaining sites for presumably future apartment projects.  It will connect with the river trails even better than today when the TRV project reforms the west side of the river there. 

It is good to see more people walking to grocery stores, tons of cyclists, and just more energy around there since the Left Bank apartments have been built.  Despite the suburban-ish retail piece in front, I am glad to have a true grocer located right on 7th Street, walkable from a lot of apartments. 

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

This is a perfect fit for the early stages of a changing industrial neighborhood into a creative hub.

https://fwtx.com/cul...t-seventh-area/

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:48 PM

I think this is great for that area and the only squabble I have is that the reporter calls this development "West Seventh Area" which IMO, has become more and more undefinable.  Surely reporters should take care to provide accuracy when filing reports.

I think that this area north of WSR should have its own designation and should establish a commercial neighborhood association (CNA) [post#2].   I think once it does establish its own CNA and marketing brand, It can attract a different kind of businesses that are not bars and eatery focused, but are studios and work spaces.  With an abundant inventory of warehouse, this area is prime for more creative spaces.

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

I went through the FWISD's Board agenda searching for who purchased properties for sale in this area. Interestingly, all were bought by a single entity, Keystone Investment Opportunities, LLC. 

I have not been able to track down exactly who this is (There's no one with that exact name that I could find filed with the SEC) but here's a couple possibilities just based on googling.  

Keystoneinvestors.co is the first result when you google the name. They are a Santa Monica based group who's investment vision does seem to line up closely with what the area is,

Our goal is to invest in real estate assets that are critical to Urban Nodes. Urban Nodes are neighborhoods that are directly connected to their city’s Downtown and have their own unique identity and mini-downtown. Criteria of an Urban Node:

Must be able to easily get Downtown
Public transportation that takes less than 30 minutes
Drive in less than 30 minutes assuming parking is not a hassle
Must have its own identity, meaning that there is plenty to do within walking distance. Residents should be able to walk to basic amenities such as coffee shops and convenience stores and get to the grocery store within a short drive. This should be a place you want to wake up on a Saturday/Sunday morning.

Another group, Keystone Capital, appears to be based in Chicago but does't seem to be in the real estate business.

Finally, there's the Gummer Capital's website, which has this blurb in one of the employees portfolio,

In 2012, Ryan formed Gummer Capital Partners. From 2005 – 2012 he transformed Keystone Investments LLC from a multi-family owner/management group to a diversified equity investment company.

Gummer are Dallas based and have developments around Texas, but none in Fort Worth. 

I'm not even sure any of these are related. It's possible that whoever bought the property simply has no online presence. So really a lot of speculation here but maybe someone else can find out more.

#26 longhorn_1998

longhorn_1998

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

There is a Keystone Group headed by Robert Bass. They may have formed a new entity to acquire these properties.

Since Bass owns Autobahn, these acquisitions could be intended to support future expansion of the dealerships. Just a guess.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

There is a Keystone Group headed by Robert Bass. They may have formed a new entity to acquire these properties.

Since Bass owns Autobahn, these acquisitions could be intended to support future expansion of the dealerships. Just a guess.

Interesting! Thanks for the insight.

#28 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:50 PM

Theres a new 7/11 on the corner of University Dr. and Carroll. Small footprint for a 7/11, looks nice. Didnt snap a photo since i find it cumbersome to post. I dont know, maybe Im using the wrong website.

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:18 PM

Does Carroll cross University?

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

I think they mean White Settlement.

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:36 PM

That would be my guess.

#32 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:25 AM

White settlement and Carroll, I dont know what I was thinking.

#33 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:10 AM

I learned today that our own Craftwork Coffee has their roasting facilities in this part of town on Shamrock

#34 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

I learned today that our own Craftwork Coffee has their roasting facilities in this part of town on Shamrock

I've always been frustrated with Craftwork and gave up on them.  They're a coffee shop and coworking space, but every time I've been there, the coffee shop is packed with people conducting business and not renting out the coworking rooms.  It's just not pleasant for me to drink coffee with the din of a dozen business people doing business.

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:36 AM

Doohickie, I feel the same as you do.  I'm not going to say that I have totally given up on them, but it has been quite some time since I was inside their space, and I have hit up a couple of other coffee shops in the meantime prior to Covid-19. 

#36 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

I've always been frustrated with Craftwork and gave up on them.  They're a coffee shop and coworking space, but every time I've been there, the coffee shop is packed with people conducting business and not renting out the coworking rooms.  It's just not pleasant for me to drink coffee with the din of a dozen business people doing business.

Agreed Doohickie.  I have gone in before and there is no place for me to sit to enjoy my coffee because all the tables are occupied by people on laptops.  Like John Roberts, I haven't quite giving up on them but I don't go out of my way to go there either.

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:32 AM

Another industrial to office conversion in the area,

Facility Name: TILLAR BLDG
Location Address: 2627 TILLAR STREET Fort Worth, TX 76107
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 9/23/2020 Completion Date: 3/17/2021
Estimated Cost: $2,900,000
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: REMODEL OF AN EXISTING INDUSTRIAL BLDG INTO A COMMERCIAL OFFICE BUILDING

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2020022816

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:41 PM

Bud Kennedy is reporting that Fort Brewery is relocating into this area from Magnolia Ave. 2737 Tillar.

https://www.facebook...197288731767871

Edit - everyone is reporting on it. Here's FWBP's article.

https://fortworthbus...ry-to-relocate/

#39 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:17 PM

Bud Kennedy is reporting that Fort Brewery is relocating into this area from Magnolia Ave. 2737 Tillar.

maybe I'm drawing a mental blank, but this would be the first real "movement" to the north side of white settlement rd in this area right?

though COVID has certainly slowed things down, I'd think with the recent sell of some FWISD property in the area and that darn bridge to FINALLY open pretty darn soon, the next 12-18mo should be a flurry of announcements. 

#40 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:54 PM

Defender Outdoor has been in that area for a few years.

#41 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:17 PM

So soon the area north of White Settlement Road and east of University, currently very industrial, will be gentrified into trendy businesses and rents will shoot up.  I hope when that happens entrepreneurs will set their sights on the little triangle bounded by McCart, Granbury and Seminary so that I can get some trendy by my house.

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:03 PM

Another big plot (3.5 acres) is up for sale at 2908 Shamrock.

http://www.loopnet.c...isting/21343778

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:42 PM

Habit Agency is having an open house. Fancy office space that Ive toured before.

https://fwtx.com/new...t-grand-openin/

#44 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:55 AM

Habit Agency is having an open house. Fancy office space that Ive toured before.

Nice idea but people seem to be creatures of habit and offices have walls and a door for a reason. Sit where you want? Sort of like a high school cafeteria.

Quote: I never understood the traditional agency model of people moving up and moving into offices, effectively separating themselves from their team and cutting off the chance for communication and collaboration. Nobody at Agency Habitat has an office; nobody has an assigned seat. We encourage everyone to come in and sit with whom they need to in order to get their job done that day and that might be different every day.

#45 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:03 PM

Nice idea but people seem to be creatures of habit and offices have walls and a door for a reason. Sit where you want? Sort of like a high school cafeteria.

Quote: I never understood the traditional agency model of people moving up and moving into offices, effectively separating themselves from their team and cutting off the chance for communication and collaboration. Nobody at Agency Habitat has an office; nobody has an assigned seat. We encourage everyone to come in and sit with whom they need to in order to get their job done that day and that might be different every day.

I agree, Nitixope. And at first I thought he was speaking more generally but after reading it a couple times it clicked that "traditional agency model" meant that he was speaking more specifically about [ad] agencies. I was reading it from the perspective of an IT worker, where there has also been a trend to more open collaborative spaces - but it has come at a cost for us. Space to collaborate is important in my line of work, too, but what has been largely lost is space to focus. Knowledge work requires both. Creative work like that done at an ad agency may require both as well, but I can see where the balance for them would be more to the collaboration side. 

I'd say for a smaller agency it's probably easier to be more egalitarian as well.

But back to the topic... I have a lot of memories from that area. My mom often took me to Greenwood as that's where my sister, who died a couple days after birth, is buried. Mom is buried there now. She and my step-dad took me to Angelo's quite often, back when there was still sawdust on the floor. I was fascinated by that big stuffed bear. And as a teenager, I made many trips to Omaha Surplus.

As investment continues in the area just west of downtown, it seems inevitable that the properties north of White Settlement and west of 199 will begin to see some of that. If I were to bet, I don't know that I'd put a lot of money on it happening soon, though. TRV, if it pans out, could accelerate that but right now it feels like we'll just continue to see just the occasional relocation. I'm curious about the flood plain part Austin mentioned as well. That seems like a constraint.

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:46 PM

This is actually what my employer is moving to as well. Habit's office was a big model for what our new space will look like. We're leaving our high-rent downtown space for something much smaller and cheaper but still well located. Instead of every employee having their own 20x20 foot walled in office there's essentially just desks which means a lot less space is needed. COVID also proved we can work from home so we don't need to be in the office 5 days a week anymore, but allowing everyone flexibility instead, and thus even less need for more space. WFH or go to the office, up to you. It's a big adjustment for sure. 

#47 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 10:38 PM

This is actually what my employer is moving to as well. Habit's office was a big model for what our new our will look like. We're leaving our high-rent downtown space for something much smaller and cheaper but still well located. Instead of every employee having their own 20x20 foot walled in office there's essentially just desks which means a lot less space is needed. COVID also proved we can work from home so we don't need to be in the office 5 days a week anymore, but allowing everyone flexibility instead, and thus even less need for more space. WFH or go to the office, up to you. It's a big adjustment for sure. 

this is the evolution of commercial office real estate and where it is headed for good.  The need for big corporate campuses is a thing of the past.

#48 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 11:27 PM

This is actually what my employer is moving to as well. Habit's office was a big model for what our new our will look like. We're leaving our high-rent downtown space for something much smaller and cheaper but still well located. Instead of every employee having their own 20x20 foot walled in office there's essentially just desks which means a lot less space is needed. COVID also proved we can work from home so we don't need to be in the office 5 days a week anymore, but allowing everyone flexibility instead, and thus even less need for more space. WFH or go to the office, up to you. It's a big adjustment for sure. 

this is the evolution of commercial office real estate and where it is headed for good.  The need for big corporate campuses is a thing of the past.
Could the 5-day workweek be a thing of the past too?

The epiphany for some is this: life is short, go get your work done and then go enjoy your life while you still have time.

A 40-hour work week was often considered the bare minimum but Ive also heard some people say, if you cant get your work done within 40-hours or less, then something is wrong. For some, it could be a highly-demanding project, or your employer is putting too many things on your plate, or you are getting too distracted throughout the day to stay on-task, or you have convinced yourself you arent working hard enough unless you are making 40+ hours, or you might be milking the clock / taking advantage of an overtime situation (if you are paid by the hour) or could be avoiding problems at home. I realize some projects require a 48 or 56 hour workweek usually in the trades to keep on schedule but most of those positions are paying a lot of overtime for a reason and even a per diem for out of town work. Theres studies that show after 10-12 hours of work, productivity drops considerably for most jobs.

#49 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 08:53 AM

Wow.  So that means goodbye to Landmark, The Yard and Magnolia Motor Lounge.  Always glad to see more residential added but sad to see some successful long time business be axed as well.

I wonder if this "Bailey's Addition" area might be a suitable landing zone for businesses forced out of West 7th by new development? Joining Fort Brewery could be a good play. 

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:38 PM

One of the former FWISD properties has been listed for lease, but no specifics on what the owner is wanting to attract to the building. 

https://www.loopnet....th-TX/24277068/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users