69 replies to this topic

#1 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Wonder what some of the opinions are of where you get the best steak in FW. My top so far is Lonesome Dove but there are a number I haven't tried yet. Del Frisco's seemed to be lacking in flavor in comparison to Ruth Krisp in Dallas. Actually, Texas Road House is not bad and I enjoy The Packinghouse as well - but not much atmosphere.

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

The Weekly voted Fred's as having the best steaks not long ago. Never had one, but I'd believe it.

--

Kara B.

#3 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Dec 31 2007, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Weekly voted Fred's as having the best steaks not long ago. Never had one, but I'd believe it.

I'm sorta responsible for that. One of their food critics is a friend of mine who loves Fred's anyway. I suggested the steaks, which at their best are absolutely glorious, and the rest was history.

Terry does a great job selecting his cuts, then he goes about preparing them in a way seemingly planned to induce cardiac arrest within two weeks. It's not exactly high cuisine, but it is absurdly delicious.

#4 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

The only Fred's I knew of is on Currie and I thought it was a hamburger joint. This must not be the one you guys are talking about?

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

That is the one and only Fred's, and it's far more than a burger joint.

http://www.fredstexascafe.com/

--

Kara B.

#6 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

I went by Fred's for dinner Sunday night just after 6 pm and they were closed. Went down to Lucille's and had a pretty good steak there. laugh.gif

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

Toss up between Saltgrass and H3. Local DT'ers swear that Chophouse is tops in DTFW. Chef comes from a great school.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#8 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:39 AM

Saltgrass?! Get out of here with that chain stuff!

Dang, I miss Williams Ranch House. sad.gif

#9 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jan 2 2008, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang, I miss Williams Ranch House. sad.gif

Man, I usually am on board with the local restaurants and don't like to subscribe to the chain business but I might have to agree with SAFLY because I am a big fan of the Saltgrass steak ... it was pretty damn good for the price. But as far as the best steak I've ever had - hands down - Morton's of Chicago's cajun ribeye was damn near as good as sex - no joke!

#10 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (safly @ Jan 2 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toss up between Saltgrass and H3. Local DT'ers swear that Chophouse is tops in DTFW. Chef comes from a great school.

LOL.

I know you always feel the need to be different for the sake of it, but there is ZERO chance that either of those restaurants makes a better steak than Del Frisco's, the Chop House, Lonesome Dove, or even Silver Fox. I have also had better steaks at Bonnell's and La Piazza. The question wasn't "what is the best steak for the money". It's the best steak, period.

Also, I haven't had a steak at Duce but I did notice that they made it on Texas Monthly's list of top steaks in Texas. I believe Del's was the only other FW restaurant to make the list. I assume Duce gets the same meat as Lonesome Dove, which I have always found to be pretty good.

#11 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 2 2008, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But as far as the best steak I've ever had - hands down - Morton's of Chicago's cajun ribeye was damn near as good as sex - no joke!

Really? Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

rotflmao.gif

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#12 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

haha. it is tough to imagine that a chain could come close to some of these places with real chefs running the kitchens.

#13 guest

• Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

Bella Italia: Bison bone in ribeye.

#14 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (PLS @ Jan 2 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha. it is tough to imagine that a chain could come close to some of these places with real chefs running the kitchens.

DADD GUMMIT!

Really? Ok, it's a new year and I have TRIED to change for the better starting on this FORUM. But "NOBODY puts SAFLY in a corner!"

So, if you are going to dis on the chains, which doesn't hurt my feelies one bit, then explain to me WHY Ruth's Chris is THE BIGGEST STEAKHOUSE restaurant in the entire WORLD, and why they keep SEARING ABOVE (ok, that was weak) the competition. In fact, they purchased ANOTHER steakhouse chain months ago. They've got to be doing something right, and we will ALL soon find out. You don't just ramp up operations in the smack dab middle of COWTOWN, across the street from a well known steakhouse mind you, FOR NOTHING. Trust me when I say that when Ruth's Chris arrives here, BIG BALLS will truly be in COWTOWN.

Check please!
www.iheartfw.com

#15 Dr Quest

Dr Quest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

There is not a definitive "best" steak in Fort Worth just like there isn't a "best" burger (love Fred's, Tommys and Kinkaids for different reasons but w/ NYE hangover nothing but Whataburger could cure). I have been to all of the mentioned higher end steak places and none have disapointed me. Each one is different enough to have it's own draw. As far as chain restaurants I've had worse than Saltgrass but The Keg and even Outback are typically better. I will agree with safly on Ruth's Chris...when it opens it will be as good or better than any place in town.

I grew up going to Williams Ranch House and have always enjoyed it thru it's ups and downs....I heard a while back they may be reopening again?

#16 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

i'll probably be seared for this response (weak pun, but intended blush.gif ), but i suspect that ruth's chris employs well known (read: well paid and experienced) chefs to run their kitchens, whereas a saltgrass or outback will generally not use this type of high overhead business model. again pure speculation, but i would venture to guess the meat quality at ruth's chris (or iii forks, or chophouse, or... well you get the point) is better than that of the larger slightly less expensive chains. i could be wrong and i'm sure there are instances where a young up-and-comer is running your neighborhood chain better than the expensive place, but on the whole i think you're likely to see more consistent food quality at a higher priced place. and really what you pay for, in most cases, is consistency of the product. sometimes you'll have a homerun dish, but if the bad one is good enough that you don't notice it, you're at a good place.

while ruth's chris is a chain, the business model is not apples to apples with saltgrass, texas land & cattle and the like.

#17 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (PLS @ Jan 2 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'll probably be seared for this response (weak pun, but intended blush.gif ), but i suspect that ruth's chris employs well known (read: well paid and experienced) chefs to run their kitchens, whereas a saltgrass or outback will generally not use this type of high overhead business model. again pure speculation, but i would venture to guess the meat quality at ruth's chris (or iii forks, or chophouse, or... well you get the point) is better than that of the larger slightly less expensive chains. i could be wrong and i'm sure there are instances where a young up-and-comer is running your neighborhood chain better than the expensive place, but on the whole i think you're likely to see more consistent food quality at a higher priced place. and really what you pay for, in most cases, is consistency of the product. sometimes you'll have a homerun dish, but if the bad one is good enough that you don't notice it, you're at a good place.

while ruth's chris is a chain, the business model is not apples to apples with saltgrass, texas land & cattle and the like.

Agree. In most cases, you're going to get what you pay for. And if a restaurant is over-priced for what you get, it won't be around too long (couple of notable exceptions can extend the life when a place has buzz or a gimick). Think Il Mulino in Dallas. Fantastic food, fantastically overpriced, and now it's gone.

Bottom line...the argument that SaltGrass serves up the best steak in Fort Worth is ridiculous. Even in the subjective world of food tasting, I have never heard that one. They don't buy the best meat, they don't age it as well, and they don't cook it as well (that last one being more a matter of individual preference than the other 2, I'll admit). When you look on one menu and it says "our beef is Certified Angus", and another menu says "We dry age our U.S.D.A. Prime beef for 45 days", who do you think is spending the time and money to get the customer the best beef?

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

For all the cowtown tradition, Fort Worth does not have a great steakhouse.

I'd vote for the Fred's ribeye #1, followed by the Lonesome Dove garlic tenderloin.

But just for flavor and fun, I'd rather go to the M&M for one of their garlic-covered steaks.

Some of the chain steakhouses like Hofbrau give you a lot for your money, but not an exceptional steak.

The outlying steakhouses like Mesquite Pit in Weatherford, Loco Coyote in Glen Rose and Lone Camp (?) in Tolar serve better steaks than any Texas steakhouse in the city.

#19 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

M&M?

As far as chains go, Del Frisco's is a chain and you could say Tim Love is a chain too since he has more than one place, not counting the one that folded in NYC.

Dr Quest is right, there is not any one place than stands head and shoulders above its peers. That said, I have never had a bad steak at Silver Fox. I can't say that about Del Frisco's or the Chop House. I confess, I have never been to the Silver Fox in Ft. Worth but I have been dozens of times to the one in Grapevine and I assume they are similar.

If I was going to send someone out for a great steak I would send them to the Silver Fox because they are batting 1.000 for me.

One other place not mentioned so far, that I like is the Star Cafe in the stockyards. smile.gif

#20 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (hannerhan @ Jan 2 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (PLS @ Jan 2 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree. In most cases, you're going to get what you pay for. And if a restaurant is over-priced for what you get, it won't be around too long (couple of notable exceptions can extend the life when a place has buzz or a gimick). Think Il Mulino in Dallas. Fantastic food, fantastically overpriced, and now it's gone.

Bottom line...the argument that SaltGrass serves up the best steak in Fort Worth is ridiculous. Even in the subjective world of food tasting, I have never heard that one. They don't buy the best meat, they don't age it as well, and they don't cook it as well (that last one being more a matter of individual preference than the other 2, I'll admit). When you look on one menu and it says "our beef is Certified Angus", and another menu says "We dry age our U.S.D.A. Prime beef for 45 days", who do you think is spending the time and money to get the customer the best beef?

There are many methods to slightly compensate for NOT buying THE BEST cuts of this or that. With that being said, just go to your YAHOO or GOOGLE search bar and type in "best steak in fort worth", then click on the local results tab. PRESTO!

Thank you, DRIVE THRU.
www.iheartfw.com

#21 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

If we're willing to consider Tarrant County 'burbs, then I have to submit JR's Steakhouse in Colleyville as a nominee. My company Christmas party was there and the steak was frankly phenomenal.

#22 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

"One other place not mentioned so far, that I like is the Star Cafe in the stockyards."
This is what I meant instead of the Packing House. The Packing House was the name of Don's original steak house and cafe in Northside before it moved to where Fuzzy's Taco is now on Berry off University.

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

You know where the forum's hearts and minds really are when the most popular thread of the day is about steak! rotflmao.gif

#24 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (safly @ Jan 2 2008, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are many methods to slightly compensate for NOT buying THE BEST cuts of this or that. With that being said, just go to your YAHOO or GOOGLE search bar and type in "best steak in fort worth", then click on the local results tab. PRESTO!

Thank you, DRIVE THRU.

Now you're not making any sense at all. I see H3 on a few lists of best steakhouses, but most of the commentary just talks about their other food (which I admit is pretty good...I actually like H3). Nowhere do I see H3 or Saltgrass even mentioned on any list as having the best "steak", in Fort Worth or anywhere else.

To your first comment, of course there are ways to compensate for not buying the best meat. But a good chef using the best beef is going to make a better steak than a good chef who is using mediocre beef. Come on.

#25 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:59 AM

I think it starts with the quality of beef followed by good seasoning and then the cooking method. Each has their own taste for steaks and I like mine with lots of flavor (on the Cajun side) to be able to taste the garlic, peppers and salts along with the butter saturated prime beef.
The last several I have cooked at home I cooked in a cast iron skillet at max oven temp (broil) and cooked about 3 min per side and they turned out great. You don't want to try this without an effective vent-a-hood, especially if you dip the seasoned steaks in as much melted butter as I do before dropping into that hot of a skillet. The true blackened method calls for the skillet to be 500 degrees - when it reaches this temp it forms a white spot in the center of the skillet, then the steak is dipped in butter and placed on the skillet. This has to be done outside or in a commercial oven. This is a lot of trouble at home however as you have to use an LP burner and stand to get to this temp and your not suppose to cook more than one steak at a time.
This is why I don't mind paying good money for a good steak. Central Mkt has some of the best beef available and prime goes for $30 and North and not only is it a pain to prepare but bigger pain cleaning up.

#26 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

Anybody remember The Keg that was across from the convention center (and one by TCU and one by Six Flags)? I miss that place. Also shows how long it's been since I've had a good steak. I do like Morton's in Houston, haven't had one here. For our anniversary, we went to Bick Buck in Grapevine and it was pretty good. Personally, I'd rather cook my own at home.

#27 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Now there are that BEST of STEAK breeds (Kobe and Akaushi) and then there is what we are talkin about here. Saltgrass has good quality and good cooks who can do the job. I am quite sure that whoever started this "BEST STEAK in FW" tag does not have a $200 or even $100/plate steak in mind. SG has never disappointed me in two big markets that I have eaten in. Though NOT EVERYONE can be appointed head chef at the most highly revered establishments on Earth at once, EVERYONE CAN COOK. So to make a great steak is not rocket science, you can do it in your own kitchen, but I'm not spendin a couple of thousand dollars in one month to find out the BEST steak or head chef for ME. If you want to pay more for your cut of beef then fine, I'm sure the establisments that call for it have some very elaborate decor and attention to detail waitstaff to keep you coming back for more.

You know with the FW Stockshow and Rodeo just around the corner, you don't think that.... naaaah.

But I wouldn't mind having a RIB-EYE Cookoff in town like they do down in Hico.

An Akaushi Story

Me personally, I'm a peppercorn and butter kinda guy with lil sea salt.

HHan, just look up SaltGrass under the Yahoo locals for FORT WORTH, there are plenty of reviews (10) that comment about their GREAT STEAK. Have not read a bad local review yet. Come on, get wit it. cool.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#28 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (JulieM @ Jan 3 2008, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody remember The Keg that was across from the convention center (and one by TCU and one by Six Flags)? I miss that place. Also shows how long it's been since I've had a good steak. I do like Morton's in Houston, haven't had one here. For our anniversary, we went to Bick Buck in Grapevine and it was pretty good. Personally, I'd rather cook my own at home.

I think so... I may have moved here after. The now Rodeo Steakhouse? smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#29 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

Saltgrass has the best steak just like IKEA sells the best furniture and Whataburger has the best hamburger and Walmart is the best place to buy groceries. It is a good steak, I don't mind going there (though I prefer Hoffbrau or even Outback in this price range). But it is not the best, and you can't know that until you've had an aged USDA prime steak at a good steakhouse.

As far as those go, the standards, Ruth's Chris, Del Frisco's, and Silver Fox, are very similar. They may vary nightly by who is best, but they all have a similar menu and high standard of service. There are other prime steakhouses that I have not been to, so I can't comment to them, but I would recommend any of these three. I used to go to Ruth's Chris in Austin when it was still on Guadalupe, and many times in New Orleans when I lived there, and can't wait for the DTFW location to open. With Del Frisco's right across the street, I'm sure they're coming ready to play ball. Del Frisco's in FW is as good as any Ruth's Chris I have been to.

To those who would pooh-pooh spending that kind of money, or who want to try to rationalize that it can't be that much better or different... fine, don't go. But if you want to talk about steak: Just for once in your life find a special occasion and go to a usda prime steakhouse. I've never been disappointed in one, and though it may sound absurd, the food and service has always been worth every penny.

#30 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

i can't believe that this topic has gotten so many responses and my query as to the best new years eve parties got only one reply...

to both this and the nye topic, lanny's had a few good steak options - kobe beef and carne asada - on their menu. i don't think i would nominate either for best steak in fw, but they were good. i do recommend lanny's in general though.

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Jan 3 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EVERYONE CAN COOK. So to make a great steak is not rocket science, you can do it in your own kitchen...

I can't even boil water! smilewinkgrin.gif

#32 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (PLS @ Jan 3 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i can't believe that this topic has gotten so many responses...

Try asking where the best mexican food is. smile.gif

#33 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Oh, yeah... new thread for Mexican food though!

As to the old Keg: had some drinks at the bar with Johnny Mathis' band after a concert that Mrs. ghughes made me go to. Kinda fun in a weird way; the drinks, not the concert.

Steaks are like mortgages: there's prime and there's sub-prime. If they aren't serving prime it can only get so good. I love Hoffbrau for what they do, but I think the best is off my grill with something I buy from Roy Pope. Objectively speaking of course.

#34 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

I think you're spot on, it's the quality and cut of the beef you start with, then how it's prepared.

How do people feel about how it's aged?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#35 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

Wet aged for me. Almost impossible to dry age at home. I can't wait 21 days for a great steak, not me. And that mold trimming can be tricky.

I've had the Delf Frisco bone-in and there is not much difference than what I have gotten at two SaltGrass locations.

Now their chateau potatoes are off the GRID!

Until RC's or a Pappa's Steakhouse opens up around here, I'm going with SGrass and saving money.

I thought the topic was who has the BEST Steak in Fort Worth during an economic recession. rotflmao.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#36 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

I never really realized there was that much to aging until I ordered an Allen Bros. catalog and was amazed at the information about aging.
Of course I was also amazed at the prices. ohmy.gif

#37 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

I wonder about aging. Supposedly aging makes the steak tenderer by breaking down tissue as it rots. If aging was effective at that, the last steak I had a Del Frisco's wouldn't have been tough, would it?

Since Chris mentioned JR's in Colleyville I have a funny story about that place. For years people have told me how good JR's is and I have driven past there many times, but never stopped. Finally last May I decided to take the plunge.

We took along a friend of my wife's that was very helpful to us when she broke her ankle and went through a couple of surgeries. I had to take time off work to tend to my wife and this lady would visit and bring us food regularly. She has become a valued family friend and we took her with us on most dining nights out until she moved to Minnesota to be near her family.

Anyway, the ladies ordered drinks while we pursing the menu and I was checking the wine list for something to go with dinner. Both ladies got refills on their drinks about the time we gave the waitress our orders. The dinner was terrific and I think we even ordered glasses of dessert wine at the end of the meal. When the bill came I gave it a quick glance, which I don't always do, but when it’s over four hundred before tip I tend to look at it. One line that got my attention was;

Drinks 2@35.00= $70.00
There was also a line that had
Drinks 2@9.00=$18.00 (my wife's)

Now, $9 drinks seems about right for that kind of place, but $35.00 drinks seems way out of line. I don't remember what they had ordered, but they were nothing special that anyone wouldn't order regularly at any dinning establishment.

I had to ask the waitress what the $35 drinks were, because I was sure they were a mistake. She said they had made our friends drink with some top of the shelf, call spirits that caused them to be so expensive. Of course she heard this and jumped in the conversation and said she had just ordered a drink and that when they brought the second one and took the first glass away she still had a little left and had she known it was a $35 drink she would have been sucking the ice cubes to be sure she go her monies worth.

JR's didn't offer to lower the price and I didn't ask them to, so we paid up and hit the road. When ever we get together and drinks come up we relive the tale of the $35 drinks and laugh about it. We also are thankful we could afford it, because that could have been very painful for someone of lesser means out for an infrequent special night.

#38 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

That's why I carry an extra set of dishwashing gloves with me when I hit up them kinds of places. rotflmao.gif

Aging is not the end all tell all about a GREAT STEAK. Bottomline is that , well, it drives up the bottomline. How you tenderize the meats and SEAR the meats just before cooking is of more importance in my book. You can break the meat down with a good beating, but keep in mind to retain those juices. When you sear it correctly those same juices will lose about 25-40% volume, but once that is over just shove her in the oven for a good 2 to 5 minutes and PRESTO!

A-1 on the side just adds to the pleasure. biggrin.gif

A well marbled cut of beef just allows the preparer to have a bigger margin for error and still get a great buttery flavored meal.
www.iheartfw.com

#39 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Sorry for the digression, but is anyone else bothered by the apparent grammatical weirdness of "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse?" It absolutely drives me crazy. Is there at least a logical explanation for this? Anyone?

#40 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

It's actually a very FEEL GOOD kinda story. Originally Chris Steakhouse down in NOLA (?) and the restaurant was on the verge of a financial collapse (UP 4 Sale), so a hard workin mother (Ruth Fertel) put her home up as collateral for a small business loan to BUY IT, Operate it and Bring it new life. So now it remains RUTH's Chris Steakhouse. The rest is history. Great story.

Ruth Fertel, Bless Her Soul
www.iheartfw.com

#41 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

I'm with you Sam, so I'm interested if someone has an explanantion. As a digression---like the JR story, I have a funny RC story.

We were working on a job in DC and got stuck in a horrific traffic jam. Long story short, it was Greenspan's wedding reception two blocks away. When we got to the hotel, I asked the concierge to find us some place within walking distance, and he got us into the RC on Conn Ave, two blocks away. We had drinks while we waited and when the bill came, I handed it back and said there had to be a mistake. They charged me $15 a glass for Chateau St. Michelle chardonnay! I thought that was ridiculous, and their response? RC bought the reserve. Big deal, I asked shouldn't they warn people---we were at the Red Sage the night before and with call drinks, they were less. Absolutely ridiculous. Love their food, but haven't returned.

#42 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, Safly. I think I understand. It's still awkward and should be changed. I can't imagine what grammatical horrors are in store for us when Gen Y comes of age and starts naming things. One day we'll be eating at the OMG LOL BFF stkhs.

I've eaten at Coyote Cafe but never Red Sage. How was it? Wonderful, I'm sure.

These upscale steakhouses have quite a racket. Separating rich people from their money. Must be the highest markups in the business. "Yes, I'll take the $20 baked potato." J-curve pricing at its juiciest.

#43 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (Sam Stone @ Jan 4 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, Safly. I think I understand. It's still awkward and should be changed. I can't imagine what grammatical horrors are in store for us when Gen Y comes of age and starts naming things. One day we'll be eating at the OMG LOL BFF stkhs.

I've eaten at Coyote Cafe but never Red Sage. How was it? Wonderful, I'm sure.

These upscale steakhouses have quite a racket. Separating rich people from their money. Must be the highest markups in the business. "Yes, I'll take the $20 baked potato." J-curve pricing at its juiciest.

The name basically gives the impression that it is STILL a Chris Steakhouse (as in style and service), but since Ruth purchased it and brought it back to life, she gets to put HER signature before the old Chris Steakhouse. So it becomes Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Just remember that Chris is not Ruth's last name and then you will get it.

I wouldn't change it because it immediately recognizes her efforts and sacrifices, and may also force the waiter or bartender to explain her wonderful humble beginnings with the business.

Agree on the racket. That tater better be wrapped in GOLD FOIL and the utensils better be 18k gold too.
www.iheartfw.com

#44 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Keller Pirate @ Jan 4 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder about aging. Supposedly aging makes the steak tenderer by breaking down tissue as it rots. If aging was effective at that, the last steak I had a Del Frisco's wouldn't have been tough, would it?

The type of cut, T-bone, flank, etc... the actual cut of the cut, quality of the beef they start with, aging and preparation all play a major role in the end product. Most people don’t realize the difference aging makes, most really don’t want to know about it, but the difference in tenderness is sometimes minor, but I have noticed when prepared right, the difference in flavor is as drastic as “I’m stuffed, don’t think I can finish this!” to “I’m stuffed, loosen up the belt, ‘no, I’m not done yet, what time do you folks open tomorrow?’”

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#45 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

I've got tickets to Craig Ferguson at the Bass Hall tonight (best Christmas gift this year) and I was wondering where I would go to dinner before. Reading all this makes me think I'll be having steak tonight. I got a recommendation for a place I haven't been before. I'll let you know tomorrow.

#46 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

I plan on trying Fred's tonight,

#47 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

I think I'll just wait on that RODEO PARADE and then ROPE ME something to eat. rotflmao.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#48 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Papaw @ Jan 5 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I plan on trying Fred's tonight,

Let us know how it was. I agree with others here that Terry's ribeye is one of the best in town. But the menu is different by the day, so you never know exactly what he'll have. I personally think he keeps things a little too spicy, but I guess that encourages people to drink more beer...

Either way, Fred's is greatness and we're lucky to have it in FW.

#49 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Fred's was great. The only thing I would have changed was to leave off the salsa stuff on top - they said it was chipotle butter and grilled onions. I like it dry like dry ribs- vs ribs cooked with sauce over them. The seasoning was very good and three different employees asked how the steak was. The Railhead has them beat as far as the coldest beer - they use dry ice to super-freeze their mugs. It was a pleasant surprise to find Fred's had thousand Island dressing - few places offer that now. I do like my salad colder and with onions but I should have known to order the onions as most places don't put them on the salad. I am looking forward to trying their Chicken Fried steak sandwich as well as their hamburger.
On a side note, it looks like there should be a city ordinance as to the number of restrooms that are available per seating capacity of restaurants. I'm not singling out Fred's because there are many other places that draw much larger crowds and still have only one for each sex. The only table open at Fred's when we arrived was the two place small one to the left of the front door next to the heads. There were lines going to both that got pretty long at times and on three occasions that I saw, the women were using the mens - which it seems you are seeing more and more of the past several years. With this much traffic it is nearly impossible to keep them clean and well supplied and if one gets stopped up---Oh S---!

#50 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:44 AM

HAHAHA....

I hate to drop names, but....

I was running a little late getting ready for Ferguson at the Bass Hall, so I cancelled going for steak and just had leftovers at home. I get through the mediocre opening act and an excellent 90 minute monologue from the star of the show. I am starting to head for the exit when a voice from the next box over hollers my name. It was.....

Mr. & Mrs. Keller Pirate.

Apparently they stole my idea, went to Fred's to try the steak and then watched the show at the Bass Hall. Small world.

(Sorry for ratting you out, KP).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users