197 replies to this topic

#151 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:43 PM

I could easily see some cyclists discouraged to ride around the lake because of the lack of connections between the two sections of trail.  

Count me as one of those. I've only ridden around the lake once, and I threw my bike in my car to get there. I've been to Buck Sansom on the trails a few times but never braved the trek the rest of the way.

#152 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:55 PM

I have ridden that 1.28 miles both directions down Angle and Marine Creek Pkwy. a few times, all after my accident, and I really did not enjoy dodging the potholes and cracks and fighting the cars all at the same time.  We still have another year to go before the trail connection is complete, providing they actually finish on time.

#153 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:12 PM

I rode 10 miles of the new trails along Lake Worth from Arrow S. Park under the 820 bridge to the end of Inspiration Lane. It's a beautiful section of trails, maybe my new favorite! It's got a lot of very long stretches of natural area and a lot of elevation change. Probably the hilliest of any paved trail in the city. I saw more deer than I saw people, but even if it gets busy it's nice and wide. The section between Marion Sansom and Inspiration Lane is short, but perhaps the most beautiful section of trails anywhere in the city. It feels like riding a paved mountain bike trail.

#154 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:41 PM

Austin, that section is basically a paved mountain bike trail.  The dirt trail used to go through the same route as the new paved section.

Also, how do you like all of those hills?  Before they put a trail through there, I had a route that circled Lake Worth.  I did it from my house and I also have done it from a friend's house in Benbrook. 

#155 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:24 PM

You can also see the Trinity Trail section beyond Loop 820 in Austin's photograph.

How far east does it go.....Precinct Line Rd?

The last time I was out there, the trail ended at River Trails Park.  After that, you can take residential streets over to Precinct Line Road.  There, the trail picked up again, but it was in several segments and didn't connect.  I haven't been out there in quite some time, so more trail work may have been completed.

I noticed NCTCOG actually posted recently that construction on the extension will commence this month. By next summer you'll be able to ride all the way to River Legacy and almost all the way to Centreport. 

seSzAaq.png
https://www.nctcog.o...-regional-trail

The Centreport connection, along with the rest of the trail, will be done in winter 2023. 

#156 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • Interests:(pronounced
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:39 PM

Thats great news. I have dreamed of the western extension of River Legacy for years. How are they crossing Greenbelt? If it is a crosswalk / stoplight that is a very dangerous stretch of road. The Screaming Bridge was just north of there.

#157 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:15 PM

From my limited experience with Greenbelt Rd., I think they will probably install a crosswalk with possibly a stoplight on activation there.

#158 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:18 AM

Even though it is a short distance, that stretch is not fun to ride. 

Nerve-racking is how I would describe it.  I've never had a problem there but the whole mile or so is nerve-racking.

My blog: Doohickie

#159 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:48 AM

Doohickie, I also never had a problem on the road, but to me, that section is very stressful.  The connection between Buck Sansom Park and Marine Creek Lake is one of the more needed trail connections in the city.

#160 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 02:38 PM

Per today's NCTCOG update, the Dallas-FW Trail will be fully open late 2023 or early 2024.

#161 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:35 PM

This is great news!  I have waited 51 or 52 years to see it completed!

#162 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:20 PM

I didn't remember exactly when the first section of trail was completed, but I knew it was in my early years of high school.  I went into the Fort Worth Star-Telegram archives and I found that the first 3 miles of trail were completed in 1972.  That section was from Rogers Rd. to the junction of the Clear and West Forks of the Trinity River.  I also found a few articles about expanding the trail in the 1970s and articles about purchasing park land on both sides of the river between TX 183 and I-20.  At that time Benbrook was putting in new neighborhoods going eastward to the river, and the Meadows West Addition was being graded in Fort Worth south of I-20 on the east side of the river.  The residents of both cities were against the creation of a linear park along the river, against dedicating a lot of acreage for park land, and against paving a bike trail through the area.  The main reason against paving a bike trail was that it would bring undesirables into the new neighborhoods.  The trail was extended from 183 to Memorial Oak Dr. (Art's Park) in 2000.  If you have time, take a look at all of the changes made to the Trinity River at HistoricAerials.com.

#163 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 10:21 AM

"against... against... against"

NIMBYism certainly aint new, but their record of being wrong is unmatched

#164 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:11 PM

I recall a few of those neighborhoods having similar opposition toward the Clear Fork Emergency Access Bridge.

#165 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:58 PM

Those same neighborhoods did have opposition to the Emergency Access Bridge.  With the way that it was finally constructed and finished, I think someone would have a lot of trouble crossing over that bridge, unless they were a with the Fire Department, Police Department, EMS, or some Benbrook City Official.

#166 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 02:02 PM

I'm surprised no one caught my waiting 51 or 52 years to have this project completed.  Back in 1972 when the first section of the trail was built, there was talk about creating a Veloweb to where the Trinity Trail was extended all the way to Dallas.  At that time the specific route had not been chosen, but there was talk.  That first section of trail was all asphalt and it was very narrow.

#167 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 08 February 2022 - 02:37 PM

I'm surprised no one caught my waiting 51 or 52 years to have this project completed.  Back in 1972 when the first section of the trail was built, there was talk about creating a Veloweb to where the Trinity Trail was extended all the way to Dallas.  At that time the specific route had not been chosen, but there was talk.  That first section of trail was all asphalt and it was very narrow.

I was going to make a comment yesterday but got sidetracked.  That's a long time to wait.  Do you have any plans in mind on how to celebrate the completion of this project?  Not sure I could make it all the way there and all the way back (on bike) but was considering some options for myself: go all the way to Dallas and then TRE back, go halfway then turnaround one weekend and try from the Dallas side to the same turnaround point another weekend, or start at a halfway point perhaps River Legacy or Lone Star Park depending on time and temperature.

I was part of a DFW-area (recreational) inline skating group several years back and we did some really fun group skates.  FW to Dallas route would be one for the record books (my record book to be exact) but a walk-in-the-park for some.

#168 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 03:14 PM

Back in the day, when I was cycling all of the time, my plans would have been to ride all the way from my house to Downtown Dallas and then catch the TRE back.  That would have been about 70 miles for a minimum, and would have been fairly easy.  Even when I was in the best of shape, doing an out and back for 132 miles would have been more than I would have wanted to ride.  An accidentally cut short 200K at 112 miles was, and still is, enough mileage for one day.  If I get back in shape riding the one way and taking TRE is doable.  However, more practical might be to ride half way and turn around and then do it from the other direction another day.  It also could be divided up into 3 or 4 pieces. 

#169 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 04:15 PM

Per today's NCTCOG update, the Dallas-FW Trail will be fully open late 2023 or early 2024.

Hedging their bets.  Last time it was definitely 2023.

#170 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 08:48 AM

I can see that they are hedging their bets with the schedule, but it makes sense.  Look at our crazy weather.  It could have some bearing on the completion date.

#171 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:05 AM

That's certainly longer than the 7 or so years I waited for TEXRail to be built after I first learned about it.

Though, there's still some TEXRail not built yet. Hopefully that won't take 44 or 45 more years.

-Dylan

#172 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:49 AM

I'm pretty sure your wait for TEXRail will be shorter.

#173 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:55 AM

More like a nearly 30 year wait for TEXRail. DART purchased the Cotton Belt line in 1990.

#174 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 10 February 2022 - 01:05 PM

This is an exciting part of the veloweb, I see a new drainage study for Trinity Trails East Phase 2 (not clickable yet):

02/08/2022
22TMP-013173
Drainage Study
Trinity Trails East Phase 2
9200 KEMP ST (s/b Rd), Fort Worth TX 76053  (this is east of Precinct Line Rd.)

sv8ytb1.png

#175 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:22 PM

Phase I of the E. 4th St. / 1st St Bike Trail is from Gateway Park entrance west to Haltom Rd.  Phase II is from Haltom Rd west to I-35W.

YXWncOM.png

JimnFmO.png

pikIDJv.png

4AgEzEO.png

jBHPzGB.png

jEkUnJ8.png

ohKtq60.png

Tr5kGr4.png

JyYAEVw.png

#176 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 03:46 PM

Here's a TXDot map with satalite imagery that shows a bit more detail about the Trinity to River Legacy connection.

mgIIeDY.png

https://fortworthgov...A9-260B1FFCD19B

#177 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 25 March 2022 - 04:51 PM

I hope they really think through that Greenbelt Rd surface crossing. That is one dangerous stretch of road, some would say it is even haunted / cursed. (Reference: The Screaming Bridge and Graffiti Bridge).

#178 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:52 PM

The name has been selected for the Fort Worth to Dallas Regional Bicycle Trail by the NCTCOG.  The name is going to be the DFW Discovery Trail.

#179 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:57 AM

Uninspiring.  Generic.

#180 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:10 PM

I hope they didn't spend a ton of money hiring a PR firm to come up with that name.  I can't think of anything better off the top of my head though.

#181 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 03:30 PM

Prediction:  It will henceforth be known as the Trinity Trail.

#182 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:06 AM

I know there was an online portal to submit suggestions. I contributed my $0.02 with "Arkikosa Trail" as it seems the native peoples to this area referred to the river as Arkikosa.

#183 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 01:16 PM

It looks like work will start soon on the gap in the Lake Worth Trail, per TDLR.

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2022026041

#184 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 15 August 2022 - 02:09 PM

Where is the gap?

#185 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 02:13 PM

Where is the gap?

I haven't been on the trail in a bit (too hot) but I think it's roughly from the West edge of Marion Sansom to the U-bend on Cahoba.

https://www.google.c...3m1!1e3!5m1!1e3

#186 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 15 August 2022 - 09:47 PM

Where is the gap?

I haven't been on the trail in a bit (too hot) but I think it's roughly from the West edge of Marion Sansom to the U-bend on Cahoba.

Ok.  I think I know where you are talking about.  It is the trail as it is heading up Cahoba towards Marions Sansom Park.  I've seen the trail and know that it seem to end before getting to the top

#187 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:09 AM

Where is the gap?

Ok.  I think I know where you are talking about.  It is the trail as it is heading up Cahoba towards Marions Sansom Park.  I've seen the trail and know that it seem to end before getting to the top

Yeh, that's it! It is not visible on Google Maps, but you can see the gap on TAD's 2022 aerial imagery. 

https://www.tad.org/...teractive-maps/

On another note, it looks like there is a better connections coming to the Marine Creek Parkway under 820, which should be a big help in accessing Marine Creek Lake.

The city’s Transportation & Public Works Department will host a virtual community meeting to discuss the construction of intersection improvements at Northwest Loop 820 and Marine Creek Parkway-Phase 1.

The project scope includes installing an eastbound U-turn lane, constructing approximately 900 linear feet of 10-foot hike and bike trails to connect to a future Park & Recreation Department project, and signal modifications.

https://www.fortwort...tpw-marinecreek

#188 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:39 PM

Not to drift off topic, but I was today years old when I found out that TAD has aerial imagery.  And very high quality at that. 

#189 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 September 2022 - 05:29 AM

I rode my bike along the southwest to downtown trail this morning.  I believe only two stretches of the old narrow pavement remain to be rehabbed.  The rest is the broadly spaced smooth asphalt.  

#190 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 09 September 2022 - 08:47 AM

I rode my bike along the southwest to downtown trail this morning.  I believe only two stretches of the old narrow pavement remain to be rehabbed.  The rest is the broadly spaced smooth asphalt.  

The other evening, I was riding along the new stretch of trail over by Press Cafe and was very disappointed to see the condition of the new path already cracking against the control joints instead of with the control joints.  All concrete cracks...that's a given, but the purpose of the control joints is to direct those cracks to the joints.  Given the tire tracks from heavy equipment like backhoes and tractors riding on the new trail, it would appear perhaps that the specs on this path was for normal sidewalk use perhaps 4" concrete where they should have poured 5" or greater thickness concrete if this trail was also supposed to be used as a roadway for heavier maintenance vehicles.  The other thought was maybe contractor doing the work did not properly compact the base gravel under the concrete, normally if they are building up section, they should lay the base aggregate a few inches at a time, compact it then add more and repeat the compacting.  Soil erosion is already an issue along the river bank in some of these sections so that's another concern, but let's hope this trails hold up. 

Time will tell.

These surface cracks are showing up all along the new trail.  Notice all of the tire tracks though, not a good sign.

pxseid4.jpg

2d9tZQE.png

#191 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:46 AM

On another note, it looks like there is a better connections coming to the Marine Creek Parkway under 820, which should be a big help in accessing Marine Creek Lake.

The city’s Transportation & Public Works Department will host a virtual community meeting to discuss the construction of intersection improvements at Northwest Loop 820 and Marine Creek Parkway-Phase 1.

The project scope includes installing an eastbound U-turn lane, constructing approximately 900 linear feet of 10-foot hike and bike trails to connect to a future Park & Recreation Department project, and signal modifications.

https://www.fortwort...tpw-marinecreek

Hit TDLR today: 

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023000813

PROJECT
Project Name: Marine Creek Ranch Park and Trail
Project Number:TABS2023000813
Facility Name: Unknown
Location Address: 6228 Crystal Lake Dr.
Fort Worth, TX 76179
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 12/1/2022
Completion Date: 1/31/2024
Estimated Cost: $2,500,000
Type of Work: New Construction
Type of Funds: This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work: Development of community park and regional trail extension.
Square Footage: 2,500,000 ft 2

#192 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:13 PM

sv8ytb1.png

Has anyone been out this way? Curious if the "June 2022" dates have held true. 

#193 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:21 PM

I have not been out this way in quite some time.  I'm too out of shape to ride that far, but if I get a chance, I will try to check it out by car.

#194 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:13 PM

I was at Trinity Lakes Elementary School a few weeks ago and didnt notice any progress. I took a few photos from the schoolyard South and East I will see if I can provide any updates.

#195 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 09:11 PM

I found a note in the NCTCOG RTC packet about the trail 

I was looking for an update, on the Fort Worth to Dallas Trail. I have a map that was showing

sections to be completed, June 30, 2022, but when I went to check it out in June I saw no
completion. Is there any new maps, or updated completion times, available?
My wife and I have been making weekend riding trips to the metroplex for years, and to see it’s
connection while we are still able to ride. I appreciate the efforts, and any updates, that you may
pass along.

Response by NCTCOG Transportation staff:

When we last reached out to the City of Fort Worth for updates, they noted the following:
• Trinity Lake Trails (West) expected construction completion Spring 2023
• Trinity Lakes Trail (East) construction completed June 2022
Obviously, June 2022 has passed and construction is not complete. We update the map
generally about once a year by coordinating with the local governments. 

#196 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 09:42 PM

I had a chance to go out in the field and check out the trail route this afternoon.  I went to every possible access point from River Trails Park all the way to River Legacy Park in Arlington.  I could not see any evidence of construction at any point where there is a dead end road to the trail route, or where the trail crosses a street.

#197 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 13 November 2022 - 10:12 PM

I was out on the Trinity Trails this evening right before dusk and you know what pisses me off are these marathons not picking up after themselves. There was trash all over the place. Thanks a lot Fort Worth Marathon.

Heres the race map from today:
https://www.fortwort...21coursemap.pdf

#198 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 14 November 2022 - 08:50 AM

I was out on the Trinity Trails this evening right before dusk and you know what pisses me off are these marathons not picking up after themselves. There was trash all over the place. Thanks a lot Fort Worth Marathon.

Heres the race map from today:
https://www.fortwort...21coursemap.pdf

Here's the type of litter that was all along the trail last night.  These things and Styrofoam cups:

1UtaXvj.jpg

BLfWih2.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users