Photo
- - - - -

Stockyards Boutique Hotel (2414 Clinton Street)

Stockyards

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 12:55 AM

From next week's UDC docket:

1. UDC‐22‐033 – 2414 Clinton Avenue (Stockyards Boutique Hotel)

Council District: 2
Address:  2414 Clinton Street
Owner/Agent:  Trey Neville/ Graham LTD
Request: The applicant requests the following:  
a) A Certificate of Appropriateness for waivers from the Stockyards Form‐
Based Code for the following items:    
I. Waiver to provide 16 parking spaces where 50 spaces are
required.
B) A recommendation to the Board of Adjustment for the following items:
I. To exceed the maximum setback of 20 feet by 18 feet, for a
maximum setback of up to 38 feet to allow a plaza.  
II. To reduce the minimum rear setback from 5 feet to 0 feet.  
III. To exceed the allowable height of 40 feet by 26 feet, allowing
up to 66 ft. of building height.  

https://www.fortwort...7-21-22-udc.pdf

e7YWh5r.jpg

https://cfw.maps.arc...6f6ab1542fca765

Trey Neville/Graham is the group behind the Hotel Revel, so this might be similar. The design also looks like it might be Ibanez | Shaw, who also did the Revel. I'm Interested to see how they merge that style in with the Stockyards aesthetic. 

#2 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 04:10 AM

That is an interesting design. Do you think they will get pushback for it being too modern for the Stockyards or will it receive a warm welcome? It appears to have a Southwestern motif.

#3 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:13 AM

I will be shocked, and a bit unhappy, if they do only because I Know someone who has been trying to do a project nearby and they have shot down on almost every ask they are asking for here. Every time and everything was a resounding NO! 

#4 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:47 AM

Well I live on the Northside near the Stockyards and I would love to see this being added to the neighborhood. Count me in as a fan

#5 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 12:51 PM

Ibanez -Shaw does great stuff but with respect to the Stockyards being an historical district, does a modern flare add to or take away from the look and feel of the other buildings, old and new? Would this be considered influenced by Pueblo Revival or maybe influenced by Santa Fe Modern architecture? Im interested to see more renderings in this.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 July 2022 - 01:04 PM

Nitixope, this property falls just outside of the City's and National Register's Stockyards Historic District boundaries, so there are no historic guidelines that this development has to follow.  The only guidelines that this development is under is for the form based code for the Stockyards.  The UDC hears these cases, so it is going before the only City regulatory body.  If anyone registers an opposition to this case, it would have to be on an individual basis.  A modern flare to the design would be allowed here due to no historic regulations. 

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 01:17 PM

From next week's UDC docket:

1. UDC‐22‐033 – 2414 Clinton Avenue (Stockyards Boutique Hotel)

Council District: 2
Address:  2414 Clinton Street
Owner/Agent:  Trey Neville/ Graham LTD
Request: The applicant requests the following:  
a) A Certificate of Appropriateness for waivers from the Stockyards Form‐
Based Code for the following items:    
I. Waiver to provide 16 parking spaces where 50 spaces are
required.
B) A recommendation to the Board of Adjustment for the following items:
I. To exceed the maximum setback of 20 feet by 18 feet, for a
maximum setback of up to 38 feet to allow a plaza.  
II. To reduce the minimum rear setback from 5 feet to 0 feet.  
III. To exceed the allowable height of 40 feet by 26 feet, allowing
up to 66 ft. of building height.  

https://www.fortwort...7-21-22-udc.pdf

e7YWh5r.jpg

https://cfw.maps.arc...6f6ab1542fca765

Trey Neville/Graham is the group behind the Hotel Revel, so this might be similar. The design also looks like it might be Ibanez | Shaw, who also did the Revel. I'm Interested to see how they merge that style in with the Stockyards aesthetic. 

Well this is a welcomed surprise. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 09:54 PM

I was able to tune in to some of the hearing. The case was denied without prejudice to give the developer/architect time to work things out. No surprise that there was a lot of pushback on it regarding a lot of things, including the parking, the building style, height, etc. Bart Shaw was the architect doing the presentation. 

The site plan. There's a large courtyard on the ground floor that can be closed off. All of the off-street parking is on this floor.

aQMbITJ.png

izbg8P8.png

#9 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:34 PM

I can see why it might not be a fit in the stockyards but anywhere else in town I think it would be great.

#10 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:17 AM

Letter to the editor:

Opponents claim new Stockyards apartments will price the rest of us out of the market, becoming like Dallas.

https://www.star-tel...l#storylink=cpy

#11 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:58 AM

...those with money want to make Fort Worth the new Dallas

In one brief phrase, painting this as a class struggle and a threat to become just like that hated city to the east. Well done.

I can sympathize with her to a point. It's really unfortunate when you find a place you really enjoy going and bringing people to, only to watch it change into something else. How many times has a district or community or city garnered praise as a great place to be or live, only to have that recognition bring in a flood of people and money that transformed it into something that kills some of what made it great? The problem is, the Stockyards have been changing off and on for a long time and that change has accelerated over the past several years with new investment. At what point in that development arc would they want to freeze it? It's a trick question; you can't. Over the long term, it's either growth or decay. 

I do worry a bit about how this growth will be managed and directed, but the reality is that the Stockyards are more viable now and probably generate more revenue for city coffers than they have in a long time. There was a period not too long ago when it felt like the area was at risk of a significant decline.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 11:19 AM

Gdvanc, you say you worry about how this growth will be managed and directed.  That is what the form-based codes were supposed to do: manage and direct the growth.  However, this project asks for 1 waiver from the form-based code and 3 exceptions from the Board of Adjustment. 

#13 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 11:43 AM

Letter to the editor:

Opponents claim new Stockyards apartments will price the rest of us out of the market, becoming like Dallas.

https://www.star-tel...l#storylink=cpy

Oy, this again...

jonah-hill-annoyed.gif

7fwPZnE.png

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 12:36 PM

If this hotel had been designed to fall within all codes, zoning, and requirements, it would not have gone before any Board or Commission.  If that had happened, the public would not have any opportunity to comment.

#15 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 25 July 2022 - 01:33 PM

Unfortunately change happens whether we like it or not. Change is inevitable and there is no fear of becoming like Dallas. Dallas is always going to be more expensive but prices are rising everywhere and Fort Worth won’t be the exception not matter how hard you try to stop progress.

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 02:34 PM

Unfortunately change happens whether we like it or not. Change is inevitable and there is no fear of becoming like Dallas. Dallas is always going to be more expensive but prices are rising everywhere and Fort Worth won’t be the exception not matter how hard you try to stop progress.

Every time things like this comes up, there's always that subset of the "DON'T DALLAS MY FORT WORTH" people and I legitimately question whether or not they've stepped foot outside of The Metroplex in their lives... EVERY growing major city has projects or issues like this. Fort Worth isn't the exception.

I wonder if there were people like this when we saw our handful of skyscrapers being built from the late 70s to the 80s, where we had a grand total of five towers above 400'. 

7fwPZnE.png

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 03:18 PM

Rriojas71, I agree with you.

Jeriat, I was here when those buildings over 400 feet were built, and I don't remember anyone making these kinds of comments.  I actually remember most people saying they were thankful downtown was adding all of these buildings.  There was some pushback to them because several historic buildings were demolished to build the towers.  (Medical Arts Building, Aviation Building, Palace Theater, Stripling's Department Store, and others)

#18 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 03:24 PM

any the "new construction will price us out" argument is just flatly wrong.

it's a LACK of building that drives up overall prices. There is TONS and growing academic research looking at it globally that basically proves that building more (homes, condos, and/or apartments) results in more price stabilization and a slowing of price escalations.

the "new build" might be more expensive that what it replaces BUT adding units reduces pressure on existing housing stock and thus slows the growth rate of housing/rent pricing for existing units.

#19 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:48 PM

Jeriat, I was here when those buildings over 400 feet were built, and I don't remember anyone making these kinds of comments.  I actually remember most people saying they were thankful downtown was adding all of these buildings.  There was some pushback to them because several historic buildings were demolished to build the towers.  (Medical Arts Building, Aviation Building, Palace Theater, Stripling's Department Store, and others)

Well it feels like quite the departure from then to now. 

7fwPZnE.png

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:29 PM

I have e-mailed our Historic Preservation Officer to find out when the city allowed designation at the city level.  The reason why I wondered is that in my previous post, I said that there were objections to the demolition of historic buildings that were on these sites.  If we didn't have a designation program in the late 1970s and early 1980s, then in the eyes of the City of Fort Worth, these buildings weren't "historic".  This is the only level of designation that legally protects a building against demolition.  At the time of demolition of these buildings, we did have the National Register and Texas Landmark designations.

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 12:56 PM

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the objections to the construction of our tallest skyscrapers were due to the demolition of our historic buildings.  Here's the answer.  The Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission was established in 1986 when Fort Worth became a Certified Local Government with the Texas Historical Commission.  The Landmarks Commission is the governing body to enforce preservation standards.  Properties could be designated before 1986 under the City's Zoning Ordinance, but there was no enforcement procedures or body set up before then.  Thistle Hill was the first City of Fort Worth Landmark in 1973, so properties could be designated between 1973 and 1986 with no enforcement.  The Worth Hotel was demolished in 1972.  The Medical Arts Building came down in 1973.  The Westbrook Hotel and the Aviation Building were imploded in 1978, and Stripling's in 1979.  With this information, even if these structures were landmarked before they were demolished, there would not have been any way to protect them from demolition.  In short, the historic buildings could not have been saved until 1986.

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:15 AM

In BizJournals (behind paywall): https://www.bizjourn...stockyards.html

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:48 AM

Are they still going with the same design and size?

7fwPZnE.png

#24 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:54 AM

Are they still going with the same design and size?

Jeriat, I couldn't read the article but I saw the same rendering being used when I first opened the link (before all the paywall pop-ups flew in to block it.)

#25 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 03:29 PM

I think I read they reduced the proposed structure to four stories from the original five.  I do wish criticism were more objective.  Also, worth mentioning that when the public speaks either on line or at in person events, they often express a wide variety of opinions about the best future outcome.  Its not as though the population is a monolith that desires the same thing. 

What were the waivers requested for this project? I didnt see them. 

#26 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 06:12 PM

from the rendering in Bizjournals it looks like the same height of the rendering further up the thread.

#27 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 09:33 AM

This project is back in UDC:

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

udc-2023-073.png

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:37 PM

A few more views from UDC docket

V2WJbZs.png

bRH81AJ.jpg

vOYCci4.jpg

IXmD6Q2.jpg

Xnw2A4O.jpg

#29 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:01 PM

I really like this design.  I've said it before and will say it again, Ibanez Shaw does some nice work, especially for a local firm too.  I think this brings a clean and modern approach to a somewhat hint of southwestern design themes and is a bit less "kitschy and sentimental" than other Stockyards designs.  I don't think everything Fort Worth in style needs to read: cowboy hats, blue jeans, leather, saddles, boots, beer, line dancing, bricks and BBQ.

#30 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 04:30 PM

Totally Agree Nitixope.  It fills like the perfect blend of our city moniker... Cowboys and Culture.

As a Northside resident I say keep moving the Stockyard west; then eventually south.  There are so many plots around there that can be developed.  Some multi family around the perimeter would be welcomed

#31 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 01:22 AM

S-T (Jenny Rudolph) ran a story on the project:

https://www.star-tel...e276379551.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users