• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#101 redblock

redblock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

Regarding the proposed people mover system, a look at Jacksonville, Florida is useful. They got Federal funds in the 1980s to build a system around downtown. Since the structure has a design life of 50 years and it opened in 1989 they must use it in some way until 2039. If they shut it down sooner they must repay the Federal funds. The system is carrying less than 10% of the projected riders. They are struggling to maintain the equipment since Bombardier not longer supports it. Jacksonville is thinking of rigging on/off ramps for the elevated tracks so that Robo-busses could use it and lanes on city streets.

Here is the article.

https://www.bloomber...bus-of-tomorrow

#102 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Part of the Jacksonville's problem: It doesn't have any suburban rail lines feeding into it.

The article briefly mentioned Miami's system, but failed to mention that Miami's "metro mover" system has high ridership. It has a weekday ridership of about 30,000 passengers.

Miami's "metro mover" system is fed by the city's long-distance heavy rail (elevated subway) lines.

That said, I wouldn't consider the Jacksonville system's daily ridership of 5,000 to be "bad." That's higher than Fort Worth's most ridden bus route (The Spur). Their ridership just seems bad because their initial projections were too outrageous and their trains run too frequently for how many people use it.

-Dylan

#103 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

Seattle's was really handy as a tourist. The city has invested a ton into transit but never really expanded or improved the monorail, I guess they don't see it as feasible for whatever reason.

#104 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:26 AM

Looking at the logo again... I can't really complain about it. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#105 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

The "T" was not well liked either. But we got use to it. I for one like Trinity Metro. But really the name is not important to me. 

#106 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Tarrant Metro, Fort Worth Metro, or just Metro would be better than Trinity Metro.

Both Houston and Austin use Metro, so it would not be anything special. 

How about doing something different and historic at the same time, the "BOM" - short for Butterfield Overland Mail?

Then put a stagecoach in your crest and livery.

#107 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

I'm more bothered by the floating triangle logo than the name.

-Dylan

#108 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

Both Houston and Austin use Metro, so it would not be anything special. 

Really, there's only so much uniqueness you can put into the name of a public transportation company. 

7fwPZnE.png

#109 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

Pretty interesting article from a few years back on how a deep red state and city got its residents to back transit initiatives.

Surely there are things we could duplicate here and that FWTA could use to bolster public support for funding? 

I recall at the last city council meeting where transit funding was discussed, several business leaders from the Alliance area (UPS etc) came to speak how access to transit is a necessity for their work force

https://www.citylab....ystem-hit/7298/

I was particularly struck by the following:

"The agency and its advocates pointed out that TRAX ridership saves 29,000 trips— or two full freeway lanes — in the Interstate-15 corridor every day. Road-reliant businesses like UPS ran ads explaining that FrontLines would help residents get their packages quicker by reducing traffic."

Also very envious of this fact? If I recall FWTA has had real difficulties negotiating with UP. (I don't know how supportive BNSF would be to sharing ROW up towards Denton) Would be interesting to know how UTA was able to make this happen.

"UTA helped itself in those discussions by securing 175 miles of right-of-way from the Union Pacific Railroad in 2002."

#110 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

FWTA has bought 6 New Flyer Xcelsior buses, the 60 foot bendy model. I'm curious to see where these will run, currently the only bendy bus route is SPUR donwn Lancaster to Handley. The article also mentions the option to purchase 40 more buses. Currently the T has 76 buses in the fleet.

#111 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

I'm wondering if they will replace the current SPUR buses.

Recently, I noticed a normal bus showing "SPUR" as the route number, and my driver told me that Fort Worth SPUR buses "are constantly breaking down."

Buses along route 2 are often crowded, so I'm thinking these new articulated buses could run along route 2 as well.

-Dylan

#112 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

I believe all SPUR buses were all ordered in 2010. IDK enough about articulating bus maintenance to know if that's about their end of life. This site says the average age of articulating buses is 7.4 years.

#113 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

I believe all SPUR buses were all ordered in 2010. IDK enough about articulating bus maintenance to know if that's about their end of life. This site says the average age of articulating buses is 7.4 years.

7.4years certainly doesn't seem very long. But hey, I'll admit I don't know much about these things.

Lifespan of a streetcar though tends to be in the 20year range. (or more depending on how maintained, as evidence by heritage systems)

#114 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

The logo may be decided on this afternoon.

http://fortworthtexa...57ee9c08aba.pdf

#115 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

TCC students may soon be able to ride free.

"
Starting in May of 2018, Tarrant County College will be purchasing bus passes for all 50,000+ students in their district to help their students get to class. TCC's Student IDs will work as their bus pass, and they can utilize the pass anywhere that currently gets service. Tarrant County College is also working with Trinity Metro to extend service to campuses that currently do not have service.

The Tarrant Transit Alliance will be partnering with Tarrant County College to help promote this partnership and educate their students on how to utilize these services. This is a huge win for transportation utilization and ridership and we look forward to watching this program roll out in the coming months!"

#116 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

hate to be cynical, but is this a way to transfer funds from one taxing entity with flush funds to another? To quote Electricron on another thread about the Tarrant Transit Alliance, 

When looking at political alliances groups, it is always interesting to see who is behind it. Just looking at the about us page, you'll discover  three major supporters: (1)The Real Estate Council of Greater Fort Worth, (2) FWTA, and (3) Tarrant County College.

Is this a way to get more money into the Trinity Metro (FWTA) without having to deal with that pesky sales-tax limit?

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#117 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Sounds like Trinity Metro may start providing bus service to my campus around the time I graduate.

EDIT: They started providing bus service to Denton shortly after my ill-fated semester there.

Any chance they came up with a different logo?

-Dylan

#118 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:26 PM

Heh.  My son went to Texas Wesleyan.  When we did the college visit, they were just starting to tear up Rosedale.  We thought it would be nice when it was finished.  Well that happened long after he graduated.  So I feel your pain.

My blog: Doohickie

#119 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

The M logo was approved by the Board yesterday.

https://communityimp...-look-new-name/

TrinityMetroVertical.jpg

#120 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

That's unfortunate. Not a fan of this logo.

-Dylan

#121 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

I don't find it to be terribly offensive, but all I see is a "V". I would have rather seen something less generic than "Trinity" that better identified with Fort Worth.

#122 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

Paul Ballard was on a podcast, worth a listen. 

http://www.trapezegr...ansit-unplugged

#123 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

Good news: Paul Ballard says TEX Rail will run 365 days a year. That means it will run on Sundays and holidays.

-Dylan

#124 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:46 PM

TCC students will soon be able to ride for free. New routes will be added to the SE and NE campuses which are not currently served.

http://www.fortworth...c562fa5590.html

#125 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

I'm wondering how they will serve NE and SE campuses. Both are in the middle of transitless suburbia.

For NE campus, I was thinking they may have a shuttle to/from Smithfield Station, but they're talking about starting this service before TEX Rail opens.

-Dylan

#126 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:23 AM

I'm wondering how they will serve NE and SE campuses. Both are in the middle of transitless suburbia.

Watching the Board meeting they will announce new routes in "late summer". Existing routes will begin honoring the TCC riders May 15th.

#127 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

The M logo was approved by the Board yesterday.

TrinityMetroVertical.jpg

The new logo looks very familiar ---- it looks strikingly like the logo of this forum, Architecture in Fort Worth/ Forum. :closedeyes:

#128 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

Business owners are concerned about plans to build covered bus stops along West Seventh.....

I've got a feeling that the "concrete bunker" rumor was started to drum up opposition to bus shelters and transit in general....

It's worth noting that shelters here in Fort Worth have metal bars between seats on the bench, so people can't lay across the bench......

First of all, how is it possible that those in opposition seem to have not seen or have no idea about modern day bus shelters. I actually see "where there are not bus shelters" and the fact that they're absent draws my attention.  Seeing that the bus shelters appear to not have had an adverse impact upon the Downtown merchants; I support the FWTA' initiative.

Second, the City and Trinity Metro did a successful competition in 2017 for the design of bus shelters which will be eventually placed in the service area of the transit authority.

Actually quite nice  - https://www.nearsout...ers-competition

#129 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

Trinity Metro and DCTA are launching a Via-esque service in Alliance servicing a few of the major employeers.

https://ridealliancelink.com/

#130 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Traditional fixed-route buses would be ideal, but I guess the area isn't dense enough.

At least this rideshare service feeds into an express bus stop located in the area, unlike Arlington's rideshare service.

-Dylan

#131 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

Arlington has a rideshare?

7fwPZnE.png

#132 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

Several route changes are being proposed by Trinity Metro in the Southeast quadrant.

ROUTE 1 – HEMPHILL

The evening frequency is proposed to increase from hourly to 30 minutes between 7:15pm and 10:15pm. The Saturday frequency is proposed to increase from 30 minutes to 15 minutes between 7:15am and 7:15pm and the Sunday frequency is proposed to increase from hourly to 15 minutes between 7:15am and 7:15pm.  Service is proposed to run one hour later weekdays and Saturday and three hours later on Sunday, the last trip departing the ITC at 11:15pm.

ROUTE 20 – HANDLEY

The weekday frequency is proposed to reduce from 30 minutes to hourly between approximately 9:00am and 3:00pm and after 6:00pm. The Saturday frequency is proposed to reduce to hourly.  Sunday service is proposed to be extended two hours later till 11:00pm.

THE SPUR

The Sunday frequency is proposed to increase from hourly to 30 minutes and service is proposed to be extended to 11:00pm

ROUTE 28 – MANSFIELD HIGHWAY

An extension is proposed to serve Parker Henderson Road and Martin St instead of David Strickland Road. Timepoints would be altered slightly but the frequency and span of service would not change.

Also, here are the two new TCC routes

tcc_southeast_service-1100x850.jpg

tcc_northeast_service.jpg

#133 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

"The T" is no longer the name, evidently rebranding to "Trinity Metro"

So here is a suggestion.

Get rid of all the confusing names of current and proposed commuter lines and make it simple.

Denton County Transit Authority (DCTA) did it right when it called its train the A-Train.

DART and Trinity Metro should pow-pow with DCTA to get Trinity Rail Express (TRE) called the A-Train.  Do to the DCTA being able to get its commuter train in operation next, it would be correct to call it the B-Train.  The C-Train would be Tarrant Express Rail as it is scheduled to come online as the 3rd commuter railway in the region.  The D-Train should be assigned to the next scheduled commuter rail to come on line.  Surely, the three agencies can coordinate this, wouldn't you think?

A-Train - Dallas - Fort Worth

B-Train - Dallas - Denton

C-Train - Fort Worth to DFW Airport

Currently, it is a bit confusing as this story illustrates:

https://www.nbcdfw.c...-118451344.html

#134 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

It's a great idea, but I can't see DCTA giving up 7 years of building brand recognition.

#135 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:42 PM

"The T" is no longer the name, evidently rebranding to "Trinity Metro"

So here is a suggestion.

Get rid of all the confusing names of current and proposed commuter lines and make it simple.

Denton County Transit Authority (DCTA) did it right when it called its train the A-Train.

DART and Trinity Metro should pow-pow with DCTA to get Trinity Rail Express (TRE) called the A-Train.  Do to the DCTA being able to get its commuter train in operation next, it would be correct to call it the B-Train.  The C-Train would be Tarrant Express Rail as it is scheduled to come online as the 3rd commuter railway in the region.  The D-Train should be assigned to the next scheduled commuter rail to come on line.  Surely, the three agencies can coordinate this, wouldn't you think?

A-Train - Dallas - Fort Worth

B-Train - Dallas - Denton

C-Train - Fort Worth to DFW Airport

Currently, it is a bit confusing as this story illustrates:

https://www.nbcdfw.c...-118451344.html

Renaming the A-Train as the B-Train and the TRE as the A-Train would cause even more confusion.

I'm fine with our existing commuter train names. If we must go with your proposal, the TRE should be the B-Train.

-Dylan

#136 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

Renaming the A-Train as the B-Train and the TRE as the A-Train would cause even more confusion.

I'm fine with our existing commuter train names. If we must go with your proposal, the TRE should be the B-Train.

I disagree with the assertion that renaming the commuter lines would cause more confusion. Agencies make changes all the time to simplify their organizations. So, just what makes it confusing beyond a time for riders to adjust?

The building block of communications begins with the learning of the alphabets and numbers, therefore the general public is already familiar with this use.  DFW Airport utilizes A-E to designate terminals which, no doubt, has always reduce confusion for travelers. 

As more lines come on line, commuters will find it easier to distinction between lines using the alphabet or number system than finding TRE or TEX or CBL, etc.

In order of seniority, the Trinity Express Railway is the A-Train.

#137 redblock

redblock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

On a historical note, the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) very nearly was the Trinity Express Railway (TexRail). When planning got serious in the early '90s for commuter rail between Dallas and Fort Worth a DART/T advisory committee was set up. They used Trinity Express Railway as the working title. After a newspaper article about the first meeting, they got an angry lawyer letter from Trinity Express, a courier service in Carrollton. Their phones had been flooded with calls asking where people could get on this new train.

At the next meeting the name was quietly changed to Trinity Railway Express (TRE).

#138 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

Buses along route 2 are often crowded, so I'm thinking these new articulated buses could run along route 2 as well.

BTW - Believe this indeed the plan for the new 60 footers. 

#139 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

Looking over Trinity Metro's current route map, please tell me if you think this is crazy, but Jones Street needs to become a two-way traffic street and needs dedicated North and South lanes for busses between 6th and Lancaster. 

#140 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

That may not be crazy, but IMO, the current setup works fine.

Calhoun street may be a bit out of the way, but Jones street seems too narrow for two lanes of traffic (one for buses) in each direction. It's already tight with on-street parking.

Plus, two way traffic means you have to worry about another direction of traffic when crossing the street.

-Dylan

#141 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

Trinity Metro hired Sal Espino as director of government relations. 

http://www.fortworth...6d22437e76.html

Here's hoping Sal can convince Fort Worth and surrounding communities to embrace transit further.

#142 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

Not to get political, but that makes me wonder what the status of the vote fraud investigation is. Most of the questionable ballots were allegedly processed through his office.

#143 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

Some alterations to bus routes and a new one route. All of the changes seem positive, only route 20 (Which runs in the East side) is seeing a reduction.

Trinity-Metro-Service-Changes-beginning-

#144 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Route 64X..Why?  DCTA also operates its own fleet of busses. 

Sometimes it seems as though TM can not get out of its way when it comes to demonstrating how inefficient can be.  TM always wants to push way outside of its means.

How about this as a solution?  Have DCTA operate a connector bus, call it DASH between its Hebron Station and TM's Terminal B Terminal@DFW Airport;  mission accomplished, right?

https://www.google.c...d32.8998091!3e0

#145 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

Route 64X..Why?  DCTA also operates its own fleet of busses. 

They share the cost with DCTA.

The North Texas Xpress (Route 64) bus service is provided jointly by the Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) and the Fort Worth Transportation Authority (FWTA). 

https://www.dcta.net...th-texas-xpress

#146 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

Well, that does explain the funding issue. It would interesting to know the cost:passenger ratio for Rte 64X. 

The A-Train is in full operations and presumably demand/service is being achieved; and in January, Tarrant Express Rail will come on line.  Connecting the two rail corridors with a express connector bus would induce more ridership on and between the two trains.

Currently, the A-Train operates 6 days/week; the Tarrant Express will operate 7 days/week. There is an opportunity for DCTA to provide additional service (Sundays) to provide direct service to Fort Worth and DFW.  I might be wrong, but a connector could also operate at lower costs than the 64X and would likely produce greater ridership. 

Isn't it correct to question the thinking of both TM and DCTA?

P.S. Serving the TCC campuses is sensible.

#147 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

I wonder what equipment they'll be using for this route.

#148 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

For the Denton route? It's been running for a while now already. I don't remember which bus is being used on it at the moment though.

#149 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

For the Denton route? It's been running for a while now already. I don't remember which bus is being used on it at the moment though.

Look to another announcement coming in 2019 for sure to rethink this 64X route.

#150 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

the-t.com and fwta.com are now directing to ridetrinitymetro.org

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users