10 replies to this topic

#1 heatherctodd

heatherctodd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:36 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right section. I and four of my neighbors have just formed a new nonprofit, the Wedgwood Historical Association. We hope to educate our neighbors on the value of their midcentury homes (ranch and modern) and begin collecting historical information on Wedgwood. Below is the link to our private Facebook group:

https://www.facebook...525273658462248

Thanks!  -  Heather Todd

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,511 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

Heather, welcome to the Forum, and I do think this is the proper location for this information.  I will check out the link.

#3 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Interests:(pronounced
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 26 March 2021 - 10:25 AM

Heather, what date range is your association using to define mid-century architecture in Wedgwood? 1933-1965 or 1947-1957?

#4 heatherctodd

heatherctodd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:35 AM

Nitixope--We're going by the dates of the Wedgwood addition, so starting 1955 and including early 1970s because there were still some houses being built then. 

#5 ramjet

ramjet

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:12 AM

My family lived on Wonder Drive when I was attending Southwest High School.  I thought Wedgwood was the center of the universe.  I guess it ages me but it is so interesting that Wedgwood now has a historical society.  Very glad to see it.  Wedgwood is a terrific part of Fort Worth.  I'm glad there are folks who want to document its history.  Thanks, Heather and friends.

#6 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:56 AM

Nitixope--We're going by the dates of the Wedgwood addition, so starting 1955 and including early 1970s because there were still some houses being built then. 

Got it. It is interesting to see the shift in design from around 60-65 to the early 70s. Our friends run estate sales and we have had the opportunity to visit some very interesting homes over the years.

#7 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 27 March 2021 - 02:49 PM

I was curious how Wedgwood was developed and ran a few images from Historic Aerials to better understand this.  I did each available year without and with road overlay on as a point of reference:

NDGkTmS.jpg

5NDSG1r.jpg

w2GB1xp.jpg

JmTC76F.jpg

r89qU3M.jpg

PTsxHe9.jpg

yKSp46s.jpg

i74j043.jpg

Pam7pC5.jpg

ov5CAsA.jpg

IkFm3ak.jpg

QYLpFUs.jpg

8vKdvqQ.jpg

Pt7BhCo.jpg

vrPXani.jpg

Cl9dE6S.jpg

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:59 PM

You can see my then brand new house in the 1956 aerial, just north of I-20 (still under construction)  I'm in South Hills at Westfield and Cockrell.  I don't live in Wedgwood but I asked to join the group (Paul H.) since I live just on the other side of I-20 in South Hills.

My blog: Doohickie

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:10 PM

Are you aware of the W.O. Carter ranch house at 3601 Wooten?  It was built in 1910 according the the Trulia listing from when it was last on the market.  It's on a 2-acre lot between Wooten and Wedgway, east of Vega.  I occasionally pass by the house when I walk my dogs.

My blog: Doohickie

#10 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:29 AM

Are you aware of the W.O. Carter ranch house at 3601 Wooten?  It was built in 1910 according the the Trulia listing from when it was last on the market.  It's on a 2-acre lot between Wooten and Wedgway, east of Vega.  I occasionally pass by the house when I walk my dogs.
That is really interesting Doohickie. I wonder what the original acreage was of this property pre-Wedgwood? I found some other stories about this area here referring to it and the Bryant Ranch.

http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=2025

Another one that hit my radar looking at historic aerials on the other side of Benbrook Lake was at 377 and Hawkins Home Blvd. Was this the Hawkins Home? This has been there a long time and still sits out on its own untouched.

#11 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 01 October 2022 - 01:58 PM

I'll preface by saying I hope this doesn't violate rule #4 of the Forum Guidelines.  I'm not really selling directly here but thought some of these items that might have some architectural-significance and see what if any interest there would be or suggestions on selling this type of stuff other than the obvious like FB Marketplace etc.  

I have a couple MCM (Mid-Century Modern) furniture pieces that I will likely be listing for sale soon and some of these items might look nice in the Wedgwood Tour of Homes.

• An MCM medium-sized round dark wooden tea table (it sits higher than a coffee table but is not big enough for dining on but I guess two people could awkwardly dine around it), I would say it would be well situated to hold a lamp between two arm chairs.
  • An MCM bigger round Lane coffee table (very low to ground).  This has some cool lines to it.
  • Some cool MCM white upholstered arm chairs (sit pretty low to ground too).  Might sell as a set with the Lane table.  
  • "Someone" has been trying to get me to part with my wooden mechanically-adjustable drafting table that really hasn't been used for 25-years or more.  This is 30x42 and it came from General Mills and has followed me from place-to-place for years now.  I had another huge 36x48 "portable" MDF drafting table in architecture school that we had to carry to class each day and "someone" just took it one day and ran off with it. 
  • I have (8) Emeco 1104 Navy Arm Chairs with Wooden seats that need a new home.  Trying to do some more research on those, as they retail new for over $1,200 each.  I actually have potentially (8) more out in Parker County if there's a motivated buyer.  Would look cool in a coffee shop or a Scandinavian style home.  
  • Lots of cool vintage cameras and typewriters.  I wouldn't say I am a collector but sure feels like it sometimes.  I didn't really buy most of this stuff to hold on to long term but it is starting to feel long term with as much space as it is taking up.  

Emeco 1104 Arm Chair:

hC8tJQV.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users