• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

I'm posting a link to a picture, since the picture is coprighted. I bet the house is torn down, but I'm just curious to see if it's still here in Fort Worth. I hope this doesn't infinge on any rules here....

http://texashistory....eta-pth-38210:1

#2 Scalliwag

Scalliwag

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (JOHNFINLEY @ Oct 12 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm posting a link to a picture, since the picture is coprighted. I bet the house is torn down, but I'm just curious to see if it's still here in Fort Worth. I hope this doesn't infinge on any rules here....

http://texashistory....eta-pth-38210:1

There is a lot of houses that fit that architecture just east of 8th avenue on and around Elizabeth avenue. I know that is not much help but it may ring a bell to someone that knows that area. But if you like that picture there are a lot of places in that area you will appreciate that are still around and well kept/restored

#3 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

Was this one of the old mansions that used to sit on Summit Avenue??

#4 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

I continued on my residence keyword search on that page. I found out that was the W. T. Waggoner house on Summit. Also, the Guy Waggoner house is there too (where that residential tower is, across from Thistle Hill). In addition, a couple of Burk Brunett's homes are on there too.

#5 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

From my own conclusion, Thistle Hill was the most grand of the Waggoner Homes.

#6 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (JOHNFINLEY @ Oct 12 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From my own conclusion, Thistle Hill was the most grand of the Waggoner Homes.

This house is pictured and described in Gracious Ladies, a book written in 1985 by Georgette McGarr. That book was the result of her research over several years about the mansions on Summit, Penn, and Pennsylvania. I don't know that copies of the book were ever sold in stores. I bought from her the last copy she had; at least that's what she told me. That was a couple years ago. Historic Fort Worth, Inc. has a copy in their library in the basement of the Ball-Edleman-McFarland house.

The quaity of the photos and printing is not that good, but it's the only book of it's kind, so I consider it very valuable. A lot of the details come from interviews she did with people who were children and grandchildren of people who lived there, or people who often visited these houses.

Jim Raymond
1963 Parade of Homes house

#7 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (1963Parade_of_Homes @ Oct 12 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This house is pictured and described in Gracious Ladies, a book written in 1985 by Georgette McGarr. That book was the result of her research over several years about the mansions on Summit, Penn, and Pennsylvania. I don't know that copies of the book were ever sold in stores. I bought from her the last copy she had; at least that's what she told me. That was a couple years ago. Historic Fort Worth, Inc. has a copy in their library in the basement of the Ball-Edleman-McFarland house.

The quaity of the photos and printing is not that good, but it's the only book of it's kind, so I consider it very valuable. A lot of the details come from interviews she did with people who were children and grandchildren of people who lived there, or people who often visited these houses.

Jim Raymond
1963 Parade of Homes house

There may be a copy of this book on reserve in the downtown Fort Worth Library. At least, I recall using one similarly titled a few years ago.

Bruce Burton

#8 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

I think it may have been a subject in one of those great early 80's Fort Worth Heritage Calendars, watercolors by Maris Sheperd. I wish I had a full set of those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users