- - - - -

Why Visitors Can't Get a Good Look at Bass Hall

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 G. O. Todd

G. O. Todd
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:03 AM

Ever since I first read about the design and location of Fort Worth's Bass Performance Hall I have been amazed that the architect achieved such a fantastic building without a larger space to build. Compared to the Dallas Symphony Center's Myerson, the footprint for Bass Hall is modest. Nonetheless, the architect met the challenge and prodced a very noteable work.

Somehow, I kept thinking that the undeveloped space immediately north of the Bass Hall site would certainly be used for underground parking and for the Sundance plaza that I had read was being planned for that part of downtown Fort Worth.

To me it seemed fitting that -- given the stature of the new performance hall and limited space in front of the facade -- the architect would suggest "open space" across Fourth Street as an appropriate "approach" to the performance hall.

My "open space" dream was stamped out when I realized the block across Fourth St. was the site of a full block of low-rise retail buildings.

Question is: Why -- when several other blocks were unimproved at the time -- was the retail construction allowd across from Bass Hall . . . in effect blocking an appropriate approach to the building and appropriate sight lines to the front facade? This decision has robbed photographers and visitors of a a good look at a fantastic structure.

#2 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:39 AM

In case no one has said it yet, welcome to the forum.

I've no official information on your question, but I'm going to guess it's about creating some density and accessability by foot. I really enjoy the fact that it is literally accross the street from 3 restaurants, 2 - 3 bars and a coffee shop. It's very accessible.

I agree that you don't get a great look at it from the front, but I think it is impressive in its profile as you come down 4th street. The South, East and West sides aren't very interesting.

#3 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:55 AM

A very good point. blink.gif

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

As I recall, the Bass Hall was intended to fill the block and bump up close to other retail buildings for an urban feel.

It was supposed to give Sundance a bit of that big-city feeling, where you can be walking down the street and just happen upon a grand auditorium.

#5 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

Or, why not make Commerce St, which is wider and therefore provides better sightlines, the front of the building?

#6 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

It's all because there was no artist on the team with the gravitas to balance the architect's idea of an artificial urban 'infill', with visual 'sweep'.

#7 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(hipolyte @ Feb 24 2006, 05:03 PM)  

It's all because there was no artist on the team with the gravitas to balance the architect's idea of an artificial urban 'infill', with visual 'sweep'.

Nah......

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:19 AM

gravitas

Have not heard nor used that word in quite some time. Circa 2000 Presidential elections.

I love the ideas of BPH either facing Commerce or having a "sweepeing visual" from the North front at a typical city block distance. An open airy park would have been nice, monumental, and very Greco stylish. Big fan of the BPH design, just needs to fit in with a better surrounding, or at least a more open pedestrian friendly surrounding. Much better views of BPH than that of the ChicagoPSHall. Part of much taller building, made of bland rose granite(?) and is virtually FLAT as a board.

BPH should have been used as a bookend to Main Street, where the FWCC DOME currently is. Did the FWSO play at the FWCC site before some time ago?
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#9 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:57 AM

Safly, sometimes we are so on the same page. I thought the same thing....Bass Hall should have been on the south end of main street. With the courthouse to the north and Bass Hall to the south the view would have been awesome. I've always loved the appearace of Bass Hall except from one thing....I wish the architect, David what's his name, would have paid more attention to the back of the hall. It's really bland.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:48 AM

David Schwarz is tha architect's name. The parts of the hall that are not part of the front facade are C.M.U. (concrete block made to look like stone) on the first floor and EIFS (sythetic stucco) above that. From what I have been told, the set back sides are in areas slated to expand the building a little if needed. Although, I am not a fan of the EIFS material, it does make it quite easy to tear out the walls and build more later.

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

I guess that would explain alot about the backside. I had the feeling that the OWNERS or the ARCHITECT did not care to influence a certain sense of style that is facing away from SS. As if nobody would take a look from the sothern end, quite shameful really. Tells you what is more important to THOSE folks. Looks like an unfinished piece of sculpted rock when you think about it. Same goes for the FWCC design , where the East wing enormously lacks in design quality, especially up close.
www.iheartfw.com

#12 G. O. Todd

G. O. Todd
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

The Bass interests have has such a remarkable string of successes with their projects in downtown Fort Worth, I'm just amazed that they (or Swartz) didn't foresee that Bass Hall would generate a lot of visual stimulation and that visitors, photogrpahers, and patrons alike would like to be able to view/photograph the facade.

Given that the space across Fourth was available and undeveloped at the time of BPH construction, it just seems there were a couple of viable options (other than building new, wall-to-wall retail) for that space --

(1) Plan/build at least part of the Sundance Plaze there, perhaps with underground parking (Heck, why not with connecting weather-proofed tunnels to BPH basement?)

(2) Design something unique for the retail -- sort of a "see-through," open, V-shaped configuration -- that would allow pedestrians and photographers an unobstructed view of BPH, without sacrificing all the retail space. Again, connected underground parking would have been nice.

I doubt that the patrons of Angeluna would have minded the few extra feet between them and "The Last Great Hall of the Century." Moving Angeluna out from under the trumpets would likely given patrons an even better view of the BPH facade.

Schwartz apparently did not extend the philosophy of "crowding" his structures to other projects; i.e., Cook Children's (Note the long view protected by the street approach from Eighth Avenue) and The Ballpark (visible for a couple of miles).

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

I was going to chime in on this earlier, but I didn't have a chance. The Bass Hall was designed when there was only a parking lot in front of it. If you remember the announcement of the project and the design was made before the announcement of the Palace Theater. Architectural design and preparing the construction documents takes much longer on a complex project like the Bass Hall than it does on a smaller, retail/office project like the Palace Theater Block. When the Ed Bass decided to build on that block, I'm almost certain it was too late to go back and redesign the Bass Hall. Schwarz did make a reference to the hall with the set back at Angeluna that matches the projecting portion of the hall.

#14 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

It would be nice to have a sweeping view, yes. But what does it say to build a really nice building in a challenging setting? To me it says that the need for a great building in that location trumps the other considerations. So, in essence, the acceptance of the site limitations sends the message that some things are too important to wait for the ideal. In a way it validates the city because a really great performance hall with exterior and interior beauty was necessary for downtown Fort Worth.

#15 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Mar 1 2006, 06:51 PM)  

The Bass Hall was designed when there was only a parking lot in front of it.

I really hope the designers didn't think it would remain a parking lot forever. wink.gif

Having greenspace in front of the hall would have been great, but I doubt anyone seriously considered purchasing limited downtown dirt to remain... dirt.

Erik France

#16 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

As I recall, ol Ed was try to buy some DTFW parking lot a few years back to make into DIRT. So what is the big deal about a greenspace view of BPH. Now it is a problem or challenge to create, I am sure back then it was not.
www.iheartfw.com

#17 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:43 AM

Just an architectual fantasy where a better Bass Hall location could of been...
Right off the bat, I can't remember what surrounds the area of the First United Methodist Church, but I read that Bass Hall has a European style design, which would of been so great had it been built near that Europen styled church only some land been available. Across or next to it in some way with green space in between with a large fountain, some european style resturants, etc.
Would of given FW a bit of a "European Atmosphere"
Some pics of John T. Roberts site (Hope its ok with ya John) to see how they would go together...

IPB Image

IPB Image

#18 G. O. Todd

G. O. Todd
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Mar 3 2006, 12:43 AM)  

Just an architectual fantasy where a better Bass Hall location could of been...
Right off the bat, I can't remember what surrounds the area of the First United Methodist Church, but I read that Bass Hall has a European style design, which would of been so great had it been built near that Europen styled church only some land been available. Across or next to it in some way with green space in between with a large fountain, some european style resturants, etc.
Would of given FW a bit of a "European Atmosphere"
Some pics of John T. Roberts site (Hope its ok with ya John) to see how they would go together...

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Methodist Church at the top of Florence Street (as you have depicted) is a great Fort Worth example of memorable design complemented with a favorable site to allow pedestrians to enjoy to enjoy the design. To me, this kind of positioning helps to give a structure more "landmark status" Going on top-of-mind memory, here are a few other memorable Fort Worth structures enhanced by their sites --

(1) Pier One (viewed from westbound Belknap)
(2) Cook Children's Hospital (end of street)
(3) Intermodal Terminal (end of Ninth)
(4) T&P* (end of Throckmorton)
(4) Saint Pat's (end of 14th)
(5) Tarrant County Court House (end of Main)
(6) The entrance to the new public library (end of street)
(7) Saint Stephen's Church (hilltop end of street)
(8) Arlington Heights HS (hilltop and end of street)
(9) Polythechnic HS (hilltop and end of street)
(10) Burnet Plaza* (view looking west on 7th)
* less than full view

Perhaps the shot depicting the Methodist Church is the best example of what a little open space could do for BPH . . . even though the shot you're showing is actually across what I call "enhanced" parking, it allows the kind of visual opportunity that even a small Sundance Plaza could have afforded BPH.

Just dreaming, I wish some visionary could sell a truly creative solution for the block across from BPH -- something similar to the new Montgmary Ward "Passthrough" or the open retail-surrounded open space in front of the Paris Opera. At Sundance, the entire block is new construction, not historically significant structures.

#19 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

I'd place the Masonic Temple on that list too.

Speaking of BPH, I hear that MR. Michael York (Franco Zeffirelli's ol Tybalt, AP's Basil Exposition and Homer Simpson's long lost father) is in COWtown for a Shakespeare narrative with our world class symphony. I just might go check it out. Any Shakespeare fans on board?

And speaking of BPH, have their been any of those "USUAL" stories OVERshadowing our world class symphony these days? You know like those "in DEBT" stories, which ususally get thrown about the metroplex this time of year. Been out of town for awhile and just have not kept up or heard of any. I certainly HOPE that they are not in debt, as that would be a darn shame.

If so they should just go on tour and promote the fantastic arts we encourage for our city and county. With a little public funding and donorship, it would be quite possible. Playing at BPH has to cost a perty penny. Perhaps a telethon of sorts on PBS, ABC, CBS, or Nbc could be remedy. dry.gif

I guess if they can afford for Mr. York to be in town with them, then their books should reflect some strength. Even though I heard that they recently lost both their GM and President of last year. Makes you wonder where exactly they are headin.

Figure with all of these corporate entities involved within our county, it's gotta be a charitable goldmine for the taking. Maybe they should hire a local Girl Scout leader to help alleviate any possible financial woes. Gratis work of course. Possibly create a new leadership patch that resembles a musical note with a money bag or RED CROSS on it. Sadly enough, there are plenty of those to give around these days.

wink.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#20 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Mar 3 2006, 10:33 AM)  
Speaking of BPH, I hear that MR. Michael York (Franco Zeffirelli's ol Tybalt, AP's Basil Exposition and Homer Simpson's long lost father) is in COWtown for a Shakespeare narrative with our world class symphony. I just might go check it out. Any Shakespeare fans on board?

Not to mention the big Fort Worth connection to Mr. York - his lead role as Logan 5 in "Logan's Run."

--

Kara B.

#21 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Wonder what he will think of the Water Gardens now. unsure.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(G. O. Todd @ Mar 3 2006, 07:47 AM)  

The Methodist Church at the top of Florence Street (as you have depicted) is a great Fort Worth example of memorable design complemented with a favorable site to allow pedestrians to enjoy to enjoy the design. To me, this kind of positioning helps to give a structure more "landmark status" Going on top-of-mind memory, here are a few other memorable Fort Worth structures enhanced by their sites --

* less than full view

Putting a building at the end of an axis is an old architectural trick to indeed give the building a "landmark status". It is also good urban design and planning. If you can put it on a hilltop in addition to the axial alignment, that is even better. I would say that the Tarrant County Courthouse actually fits into that category by being on the bluff. Even though I love the pedestrian friendly view of the front of the Courthouse on axis with Main through downtown, I even think it is more dramatic when coming from the north by looking up the Paddock Viaduct to the rear of the Courthouse on the hill.

Even though the Convention Center Arena is not the most attractive building, it is aligned with Main Street directly opposite of the Courthouse. It even puts greater importance on the axis when each end of it is anchored by a landmark. This trick was not the first time that it was used in Fort Worth. The original T&P Passenger Station sat at the end of Main Street south of Lancaster. The distance between the Courthouse and the T&P was approximately one mile.

#23 G. O. Todd

G. O. Todd
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Mar 3 2006, 11:03 PM)  

QUOTE(G. O. Todd @ Mar 3 2006, 07:47 AM)  

* less than full view

Putting a building at the end of an axis is an old architectural trick to indeed give the building a "landmark status". It is also good urban design and planning. If you can put it on a hilltop in addition to the axial alignment, that is even better. I would say that the Tarrant County Courthouse actually fits into that category by being on the bluff. Even though I love the pedestrian friendly view of the front of the Courthouse on axis with Main through downtown, I even think it is more dramatic when coming from the north by looking up the Paddock Viaduct to the rear of the Courthouse on the hill.

Even though the Convention Center Arena is not the most attractive building, it is aligned with Main Street directly opposite of the Courthouse. It even puts greater importance on the axis when each end of it is anchored by a landmark. This trick was not the first time that it was used in Fort Worth. The original T&P Passenger Station sat at the end of Main Street south of Lancaster. The distance between the Courthouse and the T&P was approximately one mile.

Great point about the original T&P. Brings up another good question. The original structure at that site burned, however I recall from a post-fire photo that the east-end of the building (including the Victorian-styled tower) was still standing.

Question is -- Isn't it too bad that somebody didn't persuade the FWFD to save/repurpose that extraordinary part of the structure? Remember that the Brits were able to save selected building fragments after WWII bombings (Salsbury Cathedral?), and the Berliners saved selected bombed out church fragments. I can't say whether or how these were repurposed or if they were actually meant to be war memorials. No matter. The fragments had a certain historical significance and architectural significance to each of the communities. I'm sure there were lots more examples of this.

Perhaps there were non-apparent considerations -- structural damage or other -- that the city had to take into account in the decision not to save the T&P tower. Otherwise, I think saving it would have been a good thing to do. Lots of modern FDs actually build towers to use as training facilities.

Also, the photos I have seen of the post-fire ruin gave me no clue as to how that fragment was aligned with Main Street. Could be that it was so far off center that it wouldn't have been visable from the Courthouse.

Any thoughts on this?

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

Drklts, it is perfectly OK with me to use my photographs within the forum without permission! If you use my photos on other forums, all that I ask is that I get credit as the photographer.

G.O., The T&P Passenger Terminal was constructed at the intersection of Main and Front Streets around 1900. It sustained a massive fire in 1904 and was subsequently rebuilt. It continued to serve as the passenger terminal for the T&P until a grander and larger facility was constructed across Main to the west in 1931. These buildings within that complex remain today. I may be wrong, but I think the old terminal was demolished in 1944.

For the actual location, I would encourage you to view The Jack White Collection of Historic Photographs from the University of Texas at Arlington. This site is hosting the online versions of Jack's pictures. From what I could tell in the photos that Jack has donated so far, the tower of the building was directly on axis with Main. I also looked at the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, and their drawings show the tower also aligned with the center of the street. I know that it doesn't appear as if the tower could be aligned, but you have to remember that the streets have all been realigned in that area, as well. I have seen photos looking south on Main, and the tower is indeed visible from the street. Check out this link. The 1918 Panorama taken from the dome of the Courthouse shows the T&P in the far distance at the end of Main Street.

#25 G. O. Todd

G. O. Todd
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Mar 4 2006, 03:47 PM)  

Drklts, it is perfectly OK with me to use my photographs within the forum without permission! If you use my photos on other forums, all that I ask is that I get credit as the photographer.

G.O., The T&P Passenger Terminal was constructed at the intersection of Main and Front Streets around 1900. It sustained a massive fire in 1904 and was subsequently rebuilt. It continued to serve as the passenger terminal for the T&P until a grander and larger facility was constructed across Main to the west in 1931. These buildings within that complex remain today. I may be wrong, but I think the old terminal was demolished in 1944.

For the actual location, I would encourage you to view The Jack White Collection of Historic Photographs from the University of Texas at Arlington. This site is hosting the online versions of Jack's pictures. From what I could tell in the photos that Jack has donated so far, the tower of the building was directly on axis with Main. I also looked at the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, and their drawings show the tower also aligned with the center of the street. I know that it doesn't appear as if the tower could be aligned, but you have to remember that the streets have all been realigned in that area, as well. I have seen photos looking south on Main, and the tower is indeed visible from the street. Check out this link. The 1918 Panorama taken from the dome of the Courthouse shows the T&P in the far distance at the end of Main Street.

#26 G. O. Todd

G. O. Todd
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(G. O. Todd @ Mar 4 2006, 04:47 PM)  

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Mar 4 2006, 03:47 PM)  

Amazing revelation, John. In all these years, I have never realized that the original T&P endured until 1944. Given that the Victorian tower was so picturesque, it's surprising that I've never seen a photograph made after the 1918 parade pic.

Nonetheless, it's easy to see how the new T&P (1931) could easily the Victorian original and steal all the attention in that segment of the city. To me, the 1931 T&P is absolutely an irreplaceable architectural gem and symbol of Fort Worth's history.

#27 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

John, those pic's are AWESOME!

We soo need to bring back a REVIEW to DTFW. Parade floats and all. How bout we try to coordinate such a feat.

The RETURN of the REVIEW July 1st, 2006. Maybe '07?

What d'ya say? smile.gif

Smoggy FW even back then.
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users