• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#51 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

Having an office close to the planned Burnett Lofts project, I notice that the constructive fencing is all around the tract and the demolition of the old city buildings has commenced.  I'm sad about that for nostalgic reasons of having walked through this area on my way to the post office for the past many years.  Will there be a restaurant as part of this project?  We professionals located in the southwest part of downtown so much need a restaurant within walking distance when it comes to entertaining friends or clients.

There is a retail component planned on the Lancaster and Taylor intersection but nothing has been announced for the location. If it were to be a restaurant that would be pretty awesome. Hopefully it would be do well enough at that location to last

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

The old bowling alley is now coming down.  This photo was taken on September 7, 2019.

48699696117_c231125ea2_h.jpgbowlingalleydemo by jtrobert, on Flickr

#53 M2guy

M2guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

Having an office close to the planned Burnett Lofts project, I notice that the constructive fencing is all around the tract and the demolition of the old city buildings has commenced.  I'm sad about that for nostalgic reasons of having walked through this area on my way to the post office for the past many years.  Will there be a restaurant as part of this project?  We professionals located in the southwest part of downtown so much need a restaurant within walking distance when it comes to entertaining friends or clients.

I know living decently close as well it would be nice to have a place to grab a quick meal or drink. This would be closer than walking to Sundance.

#54 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

The old bowling alley is now coming down.  This photo was taken on September 7, 2019.

Where exactly was this structure located?

#55 M2guy

M2guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:22 PM

1000 cherry street or so

#56 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:23 PM

1000 cherry street or so

I was able to read the letters "e-e-r-y" but as Wheel of Fortune game goes, I spun bankrupt.

But thanks :D

#57 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

Nothing chafes me more today (not even a bad legal case!) than walking by that great expanse of downtown property being graded, this valuable piece of "commercial" real estate bounded by Cherry, Burnett, and NE 13, the city so carelessly allowed to become a four-story apartment complex.  Right smack dab in downtown.  In the middle of low-rise and high-rise commercial buildings.

This is even worse than QT at Henderson and Lancaster.  At least that will be a commercial enterprise.

When I was growing up in Fort Worth, then moved to Oklahoma City for a brief while, my observation was that apartment complexes were relegated to the suburbs.  Downtown was office buildings, courthouses, retail businesses, hotels, and residential towers.  Not four-story apartment complexes.

I know that markets rule and the city regulates with respect to rezoning and subdivision regulations.  But, if I had been either a council member, a chamber member, or a planning and development department staffer, I would have wanted a policy-driven set of priorities in terms of downtown development.  First and foremost, office buildings and government buildings; second, commercial retail; third, hotels; fourth, high-rise residential.  But no, absolutely no, four-story apartment complexes.  But this all started back in the mid-to-late 1980s when the city began allowing apartment complexes along Henderson, then in the Jones-Calhoun area, then in the bluffs, and now smack dab in the middle of downtown!  As a Fort Worth native, I'm proud of my city and its downtown, and I don't like what's happening!

#58 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

This is even worse than QT at Henderson and Lancaster.  At least that will be a commercial enterprise.

This is absolutely ridiculous.  As hyperbolic as the rest of the post is, I can at least empathize.  How is an apartment complex not a commercial enterprise?

The way I look at it is that every vacant, parking, or underutilized lot taken up with something like this is a step in the right direction.  Banning 4 story apartment complexes doesn't magically make the market for phallic structures more appealing.

#59 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:08 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous.  As hyperbolic as the rest of the post is, I can at least empathize.  How is an apartment complex not a commercial enterprise?

The way I look at it is that every vacant, parking, or underutilized lot taken up with something like this is a step in the right direction.  Banning 4 story apartment complexes doesn't magically make the market for phallic structures more appealing.

I agree JB.  Also there is no rush in this part of town to build a skyscraper or any other sort of office building.  We need residents downtown and unfortunately this is the first phase to getting them there.  There is little to no life in this section of downtown during the day and it is practically abandoned at night.  Do I wish it was something more prominent and more than just the standard "pancake-plex"?  Yes, but we need something to springboard from and this is as good a choice as any.

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

I think that if we had taken Johnfwd's approach toward development and we had waited on the market forces to dictate actual construction, we would have more surface parking lots in downtown than we do now. 

I can actually remember when this area of town had single family, wood framed homes on many of these blocks. 

To be honest with all of you, I look at these low rise wood framed residential structures a place fillers until the market and the economy dictates taller and more permanent buildings.  For the time being, these fill a need and they deliver residential properties to downtown, and as pointed out by others, this will bring more activity to this portion of Downtown, and it really needs it.

#61 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:02 PM

IMO, only high-quality buildings and high-rises should be allowed in the heart of downtown. Four story apartment complexes do not belong in the heart of downtown.

That said, I'm fine with the location of this 4-story apartment complex, as it's in the fringes of downtown.

My opinion on this complex would be different if it were in the heart of downtown, say, close to Sundance Square or the convention center.

-Dylan

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:21 PM

A four-story apartment complex in the heart of Downtown would be Voodoo Economics.

#63 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

Just to throw a bone into the fire so to speak, how would ya'll feel if this project was going up one block to the north? That would put it right next door to the cities tallest building. 

At this location, the edge of downtown and the core of downtown (assuming you'd consider Burnett Plaza the core) are just 2 blocks apart.

#64 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:31 AM

Yes a block North I would have a problem with it, but not if it was designed differently than it is now...  say for instance if it was similar to the Broadstone at Summit I wouldn't have a problem.  I am ok where it is now.. mainly because the buildings it is replacing were low rise 1 and 2 story structures and it is basically on the entrance to I-30 so nothing much lost at this location.

#65 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:46 PM

Looks like this one is moving from site prep to vertical construction.  There's a big crane on site now. Wonder if a tower crane will be required?

#66 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:41 PM

They're moving right along.

My blog: Doohickie

#67 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:52 PM

If you have a chance, check out construction progress on Burnett Lofts.  From my eye-ball perspective outside my office just west of the construction project, appears to me the structure will be higher vertically than I previously thought.  In fact, it partially obscures my view of the Omni Hotel! 

#68 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:56 PM

Garage is quite big

#69 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:17 PM

No photos?

I'm not worried about parking, as this big garage will take care of that.  What concerns me is ingress and egress automobile traffic.  From my eyeball perspective, it looks like traffic will be heaviest on Texas Street going one-way to the east.  Will Macon Street have ingress/egress so tenants can get on I-30?  What about Lancaster and Taylor?  In any event, this is not like traffic generated by office building tenants.

#70 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:38 PM

qbJoXlb.png

Hard to see any closer but here some more renderings and updated site plan. Looks like the retail may not be ground floor of the building itself but separated into it's own space at the southeast corner. Looks interesting.

Driving by there today, I noticed two separate adjacent parking garage buildings under construction.  Hard to tell from this drawing.  Are the parking garages shown?

#71 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:32 PM

On the diagram on the right, the darker gray shaded area is the parking garage. It's surrounded by apartments on three sides.

On the middle left rendering, I believe the right half of the building is the parking garage.

-Dylan

#72 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:16 AM

The garage for this project looks to be complete or at least placing the pre-cast concrete is complete.  They had a flag on top on the south end at the end of last week.

#73 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:13 AM

Here is a photo from a few weeks back.

kSJI9oC.jpg

#74 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

Working its way up

GDkobxH.jpg

#75 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

The north end is topped out. It also confirms that the rendering on the website is one floor too short than reality. 

7N8DPaH.jpg

#76 MorganRehnberg

MorganRehnberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:56 PM

The garage is really frustrating because they added the facade to conceal it on the side visible in this image, but not the side facing Lancaster. Which, at least for me, seems like the main side I se!

Great that it is coming along, though.

#77 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:57 PM

The garage is really frustrating because they added the facade to conceal it on the side visible in this image, but not the side facing Lancaster. Which, at least for me, seems like the main side I se!

That side will eventually be covered by apartments.

#78 MorganRehnberg

MorganRehnberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:53 AM

That side will eventually be covered by apartments.

Thats great to hear. I guess I had missed that in the drawings. Thanks, Austin!

#79 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:29 AM

Has anyone noticed what they are installing for covered parking on the top level of the garage?  I believe it will be blocked from view from the outside by the apartment buildings, but it is some straight trash that probably wouldn't meet code in any suburb.  Super cheap looking.

#80 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:57 PM

Hope it doesn't blow away in a storm...

#81 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:24 PM

Renderings haven't clearly shown or been consistent about how the "arm" will along Lancaster will look. It appears that it's getting built out as multiple floors of residences.

chn7GIR.jpg

#82 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

Yeah I noticed that too the last time I drove by and was a bit disappointed by that revelation.  I guess retail just doesn't make sense right now at that location.

#83 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

I would not think that retail would make much sense right now at that location.  I'm wondering if the ground floor could still be converted to retail at a future date, or that idea was abandoned all together.

#84 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

Are you referring to retail possibilities for the ground floor of the "arm" along Lancaster?  I'd like to see that.

Question:  If the "arm" is additional rental units, why didn't they just add a floor to the main building?  As it is, from my limited architectural esthetics perspective, I think the "arm" looks ridiculous.

#85 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

That's not really Lancaster. It's an extended on-ramp for I-30 and is controlled access. Traffic is already accelerating towards 60+ mph as it passes there. I can't see commercial being practical there unless just the backside of retail units with pedestrian access.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#86 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:29 PM

I would not think that retail would make much sense right now at that location.  I'm wondering if the ground floor could still be converted to retail at a future date, or that idea was abandoned all together.

When they were framing the "arm" of the complex it was built with steel framing so I think it may have that ability in the future.  No need to frame it with steel if your long term goal was to make it residential.

#87 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

That's not really Lancaster. It's an extended on-ramp for I-30 and is controlled access. Traffic is already accelerating towards 60+ mph as it passes there. I can't see commercial being practical there unless just the backside of retail units with pedestrian access.

All the more reason to get rid of those ramps.

#88 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

It looks like the extended section will have retail, plus the apartment's leasing office. The project's signage package is going up for DDRB approval.

10pA5Jn.png

fSMymNr.png

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:26 PM

The new blade signs will catch some interest from Cherry Street and from the Lancaster/I-30 on ramp.

#90 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:55 AM

As a nearby office occupant I take the westbound I-30 ramp off Macon Street every day and have observed the ongoing construction of the "adjunct" to the parking garage.  I'm glad there's going to be retail.  I'm wondering about traffic access.   From the ramp itself?

I'm not a fan of this particular part of the Burnett Lofts.  I don't blame the ramp.  I find fault with the developer/builder/architect for choosing such a narrow and secluded tract for this extension.  Poor building design planning and site usage here.  If they were going to have retail, they should have designed it as part of the ground floor for the main part the Lofts building to the north fronting Texas Street, then added an additional floor for residential, if necessary.  Am I missing something here...is there going to be street-level retail along Texas Street?

#91 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 09:16 PM

The arm looks really strange when looking at it from above. But, I don't believe it will look strange from street level. You're just going to see a building that's at an angle to follow the on-ramp.

-Dylan

#92 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

The arm looks really strange when looking at it from above. But, I don't believe it will look strange from street level. You're just going to see a building that's at an angle to follow the on-ramp.

I notice it's going to be a multi-story building, with the roof probably even with the parking garage.  Maybe it won't look so out of place when finally constructed.

#93 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:44 PM

Fully framed

KJUf6ro.jpg

sEIKblf.jpg

#94 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

Only two words to describe this downtown project--horizontally expansive.

#95 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:20 AM

It's nearly as long as the T&P Warehouse. 

#96 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:34 AM

I like it.  Over the years I've often missed the entrance to westbound I-30 there; it always seems to come up on my quicker than I think it shouild.  Now I have a landmark to navigate by.

My blog: Doohickie

#97 pilgrim

pilgrim

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:11 PM

Looks like a housing project out of some movie like The Professional.  Not worthy of Ft. Worth.

Laugh at the post-Modernists if you will, but, perhaps, they realized what they were up against with regards to "something new" and did the best they could.  Today's architecture is mostly sterile garbage without form and beauty.  Put this piece next to the T&P building and it would look like left-over refuse.

#98 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:13 AM

Looks like a housing project out of some movie like The Professional.  Not worthy of Ft. Worth.

Laugh at the post-Modernists if you will, but, perhaps, they realized what they were up against with regards to "something new" and did the best they could.  Today's architecture is mostly sterile garbage without form and beauty.  Put this piece next to the T&P building and it would look like left-over refuse.

. . . oh lord, here we go.

4sk49l.png

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#99 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:50 AM

I agree.  This style of pancake-plex has no place in downtown... maybe west 7th or SoMa...  but not in the heart of downtown.  The only positive thing is that is will bring more residents to downtown.

#100 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:47 PM

I see lots of opportunities for entrepreneurs along that stretch of Lancaster.  I think there is a coffee shop, but a dry cleaners, convenience store (like Royal Blue), liquor store, boutique gym with trainers, CBD products boutique, local pizza place with pizza by the slice, and other ideas might work to serve the growing number of dwellers there. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users