Doohickie's Content

There have been 295 items by Doohickie (Search limited from 19-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#151871 Alternate I-35W Southern Route

Posted by Doohickie on Today, 12:11 PM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

All I want are the rest of the ramps on the CTP/I-20 interchange so I could come from downtown and head east on I-20 without getting off on access roads.

#151869 Alternate I-35W Southern Route

Posted by Doohickie on Today, 06:12 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

But they would need to be totally rebuilt, which was my point.

#151863 Alternate I-35W Southern Route

Posted by Doohickie on Yesterday, 10:30 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

the ramps on that mixmaster would stay.

Really? What would they connect to if I-35 wasn't there?

#151855 Alternate I-35W Southern Route

Posted by Doohickie on 16 April 2024 - 05:52 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

Driving up I-35 this morning and looking at the I-35/I-30 mixmaster, which has ramps to the Express Lanes.  Hard to believe the toll authority, the state, the feds, the railroad, will be able get behind this plan.  I suppose there is some level of synergy potentially with the I-30 Corridor Project, but I don't think they're going to want to add cost to that.  It would have to be in line for after that is complete which will likely take a decade or more to complete.  Interesting study but I'm not sure it could ever get traction.

#151839 The Comings and Goings of FW Restaurants

Posted by Doohickie on 15 April 2024 - 06:58 AM in Arts and Entertainment

They seem to be the next fad chain to push a big expansion in this area.  I have a friend that's from Canada that is ecstatic about them coming to Texas.  We had some of their doughnuts in Atlanta earlier this year and they were good.  Reminded me of Dunkin.

Yes, very similar to Dunkin, I think with a broader food menu (I haven't compared lately).  They've been established in Buffalo for years so I've been there a few times; in fact I almost think of them as a "back home" brand.  The owned by the company that also owns Burger King, Firehouse Subs and Popeyes, so corporate-wise I don't think Texas is a wilderness to them.

#151838 Eastern Bluebird Picked for City's Official Bird

Posted by Doohickie on 15 April 2024 - 06:52 AM in City Issues

I think some do and some don't.  This isn't a bad choice.  I'm seeing more and more bluebirds when I'm out on the trails or in some of the larger parks.

I've never seen one of those.

#151837 The Skies

Posted by Doohickie on 15 April 2024 - 06:50 AM in General Photography

I saw the Blue Angels from my front yard on Friday.  They looked like they were south or southeast of NAS/JRB, almost as far south as I-20, at the time.

#151836 Alternate I-35W Southern Route

Posted by Doohickie on 15 April 2024 - 06:42 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

The Train re-route to make this happen:

8760vcN.png

So the red is the new track alignment?  Which sections would be abandoned?  (Not clear to me from looking at the map.)  Would it be branch that runs between the proposed and I-35?

#151775 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by Doohickie on 10 April 2024 - 12:01 PM in City Issues

I guess NLL is #6?  ;)

#151771 The Comings and Goings of FW Restaurants

Posted by Doohickie on 10 April 2024 - 10:05 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Sorry to hear that, I like funky picnic

I went there a few times.  It was okay but I wasn't particularly impressed.

#151734 Eclipse Fort Worth goes dark April 8, 2024

Posted by Doohickie on 08 April 2024 - 01:35 PM in Miscellaneous

That was neat.

#151724 Eclipse Fort Worth goes dark April 8, 2024

Posted by Doohickie on 08 April 2024 - 08:19 AM in Miscellaneous

If it's cloudy during the eclipse, can I get a rain check?

#151719 Trinity River Vision

Posted by Doohickie on 07 April 2024 - 10:07 PM in Public & Institutional

Fort Worth Report,

Panther Island study gives advocates high hopes for better public transit
A rebranded bus route is the precursor to a possible light rail-like transit option for future Panther Island, but many unknowns remain

Any kind of better public transit talk in this town just feels like a tease at this point. 

Yeah, like clickbait articles.

#151706 The Comings and Goings of FW Restaurants

Posted by Doohickie on 06 April 2024 - 11:31 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Anyone know any restaurants that begin with the letter X?  This A-to-Z might get tough.

#151694 The Comings and Goings of FW Restaurants

Posted by Doohickie on 05 April 2024 - 04:33 PM in Arts and Entertainment

Another Race Street loss, Neutral Ground Brewing: https://fortworth.cu...rewing-closing/

A friend who lives near there said there are several new places opening soon, maybe not so much loss as turnover.

#151650 TCU Squirrels? Hmmm...

Posted by Doohickie on 03 April 2024 - 11:17 AM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

Meh.  Check the date.

#151649 Filling Empty Spaces in West 7th Corridor

Posted by Doohickie on 03 April 2024 - 11:16 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

How about a FWPD substation.....?

#151620 The "Bomber" Railroad Spur

Posted by Doohickie on 02 April 2024 - 06:19 AM in Local History

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023025866

Project Name: Bomber Spur Trail Phase 1
Project Number: TABS2023025866
Facility Name: Bomber Spur Trail
Location Address: 375' South of US 377 to Calmont Ave
Fort Worth, TX 76116
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 9/2/2024
Completion Date: 8/29/2025
Estimated Cost: $5,100,000
Type of Work: New Construction
Type of Funds:This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work:
Scope includes the installation of a 12' concrete trail from 375' south of US 377 to Calmont Ave, a pedestrian bridge over US 377, 10' concrete shared-use paths to connect at-grade to US 377, and an 8' wide shared-use path along Calmont Ave.

I love that this finally have a time-table.... I just wish it were Sept 2023-Aug2024 instead of a full year away

YIKES! it sounds like the 2025 only really creates the path from Calmont to 377 and "Phase II" ie, 377 to Vickey won't even begin until 2026. And if the time frame for beginning Phase II is like the timing for Phase I, I'm guesing 2026-2027 for design work and 2027-2028 for actually making the pathway.

https://www.fortwort...3/9/bomber-spur

So the south end of Phase I is literally nowhere.  It makes no sense why they couldn't have made Phase I end at SW Blvd.  Then it would connect from SW Blvd./Vickery (via the SW Blvd shoulder from Vickery to the old rail line) all the way to Calmont.

#151619 Boy Scout Camps

Posted by Doohickie on 02 April 2024 - 06:05 AM in Local History

The city of Fort Worth Parks and Recreation dept. could buy it and that would be a cheaper way to accomplish it's goal of adding more public swimming pools to the city per their long term plan. Same reason why they just bought the old Eastside YMCA just a month ago or so. Waco also bought a defunct Y for it's pool recently, and then repaired it and reopened it. Seems like a thing city parks depts are doing since the cost of building new aquatics facilities is unusually high for some reason.

I wish they would have kept the Kellis Park Pool.  It was still there 10 years ago.

#151618 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by Doohickie on 02 April 2024 - 06:03 AM in Commercial

This is the old Residence Inn/Hawthorn Suites?  We lived there for a month or two when we moved back to FtW in '97.

#151617 North City

Posted by Doohickie on 02 April 2024 - 05:30 AM in Commercial

I just recently binge watched The Bear on Hulu and I've been dying to try an Italian beef sandwich like they feature on the show (mostly season 1).  There are more places around here that sell them than I expected and Portillo's is one of them.

Gotta get that Italian beef "wet"... dip the whole sandwich in a jus.

#151551 FWISD property sell off

Posted by Doohickie on 28 March 2024 - 01:18 PM in Public & Institutional

I went by Farrington Field this week and noticed there is a sign indicating the field is getting new turf.  Does anyone know:  Is that an old sign, or is FWISD planning on using that field for a while yet?

#151550 The Comings and Goings of FW Restaurants

Posted by Doohickie on 28 March 2024 - 01:14 PM in Arts and Entertainment

On our weekly breakfast ride last Saturday, we went to F1 Smokehouse (University & 5th in the old Austin City Tacos location).  I would highly recommend it.  The food was quite good.  I got The Big Bad Wolf, an over-the-top breakfast sandwich with everything you can think of.  The other popular breakfast dish was the chilaquiles. 

The format of F1 is not like most BBQ joints where you order from the counter, get your own drinks, etc.  Rather, it's full service.  The manager said the owners knew some people like BBQ but want a more upscale service model.  The decor is bright and clean with nostalgic Texas/western/cowboy decor.  On the video Lone Ranger reruns were playing.  The music was played at just the right volume:  You could hear it but didn't have to talk over it, and it was a great mix of old and new C&W music (Johnny Cash, Willie, but also modern artists that had a classic western sound to them).  The prices were typical for the breakfast places we go, with options from about $6 to $15, but with an important distinction:  Coffee is free with a meal.  These days a plain cuppa Joe can be $3 and up, especially if they give refills.  So that adds to the value.

Looks like it would be good for lunch and dinner too.

#151549 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by Doohickie on 28 March 2024 - 12:58 PM in City Issues

A factual error in the Times article:  The Drover pool overlooks Marine Creek, not the Trinity River.

#151518 DFW Airport Carriers

Posted by Doohickie on 27 March 2024 - 05:56 AM in Transportation

Didn't they originally say FW Meacham?