• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 DTCB

DTCB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

On the old Ellis Pecan bldg the original name plate was etched in stone. Then covered by a wooden sign and blackened out. Before, you could still see the name plate in the stone on the side of the wooden covering.
Now it seems that the stone nameplate has been removed. Did they take it out in one piece or did they chisel it out to destroy it. Hopefully they took it out in one piece no matter the negative history it is still Fort Worth History.

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:57 AM

Personally, I always thought this building would be a perfect centerpiece for a black Fort Worth history museum...

#3 DTCB

DTCB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

That has a great ring of irony.
I think a better place for a black Fort Worth history museum would be closer to downtown & I 35 where the original neighborhoods used to be. Maybe even close to the AME church. I can’t remember the street name it is on, but it has been there for almost 100 years.

#4 wbutler

wbutler

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(DTCB @ Apr 20 2006, 04:44 PM) View Post

On the old Ellis Pecan bldg the original name plate was etched in stone. Then covered by a wooden sign and blackened out. Before, you could still see the name plate in the stone on the side of the wooden covering.
Now it seems that the stone nameplate has been removed. Did they take it out in one piece or did they chisel it out to destroy it. Hopefully they took it out in one piece no matter the negative history it is still Fort Worth History.

IF the Ellis Pecan building is located at 1006 Main St it does have a little mystery. I have a newspaper article dated November 7, 1924 that the building was a klavern for the KKK. The building had burned and plans were to rebuild. The building was “one of the best klan halls in the country”. The article stated 1006 MAIN not NORTH MAIN, but I think it matches up.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

You would be correct.

#6 DTCB

DTCB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:20 AM

I would like to see a picture of the front the building. I have lived here all my life and have been curious about the stone carving.
I don’t know if any of the Ellis people are available, but it would like to contact them.

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

Appears that the building is facing demolition

Project Description:   Individual - Contributing
Request for a COA to demolish the primary structure

1012 N MAIN ST  

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

I actually knew about it shortly after we issued our Most Endangered List.  It was going to be on it, but we always want to visit with the owners about the listing before we issue it, mainly to keep from giving out erroneous information.  The owners never responded to HFW before the list was announced, so we gave them the benefit of the doubt.  They finally did get back with us after the list was released.  I did not want to say anything about here on the forum because that might have potentially changed the outcome for the building, or it might have hastened its demolition.  We tread a fine line in the Preservation field.  Also, I'm quite confident that HFW will receive some criticism for not having it on the 2019 list.  However, we do say that our lists are ongoing and they are continually running, so if a building makes the list once, and it has not been saved, preserved, or landmarked, then we still consider it endangered.

The building is designated Demolition Delay, so the Landmarks Commission will have to make a ruling on it before it is actually demolished.  I'm guessing they will put the maximum 180 Demolition Delay on the building, so it will probably stand for a little while longer.

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:53 AM

For some reason I had the impression that the channel would go through that building so it would be demo'ed regardless.  More recently when we were driving on N Main I noticed it's not in the channel area so I thought maybe it would remain.  Too bad it won't be.

My blog: Doohickie

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

I still thought it would be a great adaptive re-use/preservation project because it was going to be on "the waterfront".  I also honestly doubt the owner would be interested in selling, since they have responded that demolition would be a great redevelopment opportunity.

#11 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I found this fascinating Flickr album, mostly photos of the interior:

https://www.flickr.c...157633357043969

It includes this somewhat startling photo, juxtaposing an historical photo with a more recent one, showing the building's original use by the KKK.

https://www.flickr.c...ves/8693103120/

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

In those photos, the condition of the building is not as bad as I expected, but I'm sure 6 more years of being exposed to elements with no maintenance has taken its toll. 

It would make a nice music venue.  I hate to see it demolished.

#13 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

"they have responded that demolition would be a great redevelopment opportunity."

Parking lot, Bank, or QT?

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:29 PM

No one has given any specific plans.  I would almost guarantee that it will not be a QuikTrip, since there is a fairly new one only 3 blocks up the street.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

The building falls into the (*takes deep breath*) Panther Island Peripheral Zone Design Overlay, but also seems to be zoned K and I'm not sure really how those apply to each other. Precedent says this will probably be an apartment building of some sort.

#16 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

"they have responded that demolition would be a great redevelopment opportunity."

Fast Food drive-through. :)  :cheez: 

One where the drive-through lane isn't long enough, and a line of cars spill into the street.

-Dylan

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

The building falls into the (*takes deep breath*) Panther Island Peripheral Zone Design Overlay, but also seems to be zoned K and I'm not sure really how those apply to each other. Precedent says this will probably be an apartment building of some sort.

This property isn't zoned TU for mixed-uses? I thought all of Panther Island was zoned TU for mixed-use developments.

-Dylan

#18 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Fast Food drive-through. :)  :cheez: 

One where the drive-through lane isn't long enough, and a line of cars spill into the street.

if not this, then perhaps a bank, I feel we don't have enough banks with drive-throughs.

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Here's an in depth report from an engineer. 

http://fortworthtexa...cb915718f7b.pdf

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

Maybe I'm a bit cynical and I'm sure there's no disputing the structural issues, but that reports reads about like I would expect if the building owner asked the engineer for something that best justifies demolishing the building.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

Honestly if there was some way to demo everything but preserve and reuse just the West side facade along N Main I'd be fine with it. 

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

Maybe I'm a bit cynical and I'm sure there's no disputing the structural issues, but that reports reads about like I would expect if the building owner asked the engineer for something that best justifies demolishing the building.

The same thing happened with the smokestacks at the old North Fort Worth/TXU Power Plant.  The structural report on that demolition would have led the average person to think that the only alternative was the removal of the smokestacks. 

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:32 PM

A Facebook group organizing to try and preserve the structure

https://m.facebook.c...:"null"}&aref=3

#24 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

The group is called DNAWORKS:

At DNAWORKS, we plan to renovate hate and injustice into healing, community and a site of memory by transforming the former KKK Klavern No. 101 building - the ONLY still standing building built in the world specifically for the KKK - into a center for performing arts and community healing.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:31 PM

I didn't post the results of last month's Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission.  They started the meeting with barely a quorum. By the time the Ellis Pecan Building came up on the agenda, the quorum was lost, and therefore, the case was continued until the July meeting.  Since it had to be continued, the case was not heard.  It is coming back up for consideration on July 8th.

Bud Kennedy has put an opinion article online at the Star-Telegram's website about the Ellis Pecan Building coming up before this month's Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission.  Below is the link for those of you that have access:

https://www.star-tel...e232025272.html

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:50 PM

Whatever happens to this building, it's change of use will be celebrated. 

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

Comments on the article on FB and other social media have gotten really silly. It seems that many think the building is being torn down *because* of it's past and history (IE 1920s Confederate monuments) but that has never seemed to be the case. 

#28 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

The same thing happened with the smokestacks at the old North Fort Worth/TXU Power Plant.  The structural report on that demolition would have led the average person to think that the only alternative was the removal of the smokestacks. 

I sure miss the smokestacks from the old power plant. 

• JBB likes this
www.fortworthview.com

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:03 PM

I'll second that on the smokestacks for the same reason I don't mind the Purina plant on 4th Street.  It adds a little grittiness and edge to the area and doesn't make it feel so Disney-esque.  It hearkens back to an era when downtown was a center for a variety of industry and commerce.

Comments on the article on FB and other social media have gotten really silly. It seems that many think the building is being torn down *because* of it's past and history (IE 1920s Confederate monuments) but that has never seemed to be the case. 

Silly comments on social media?  No way.

I'm not saying that the history of the building should be ignored or forgotten by even a stretch, but don't think the Star Telegram's repeated reminders of the Klan connection aren't calculated.  That gets a lot more clicks and traffic than saying the pecan building is being demolished.  

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

My "compromise" idea,

Demolish the eastern 2/3rd or so of the building, where the hall space actually was. The West side, facing main, has office space in it and is the most architecturally notable portion of the site. That west side could be reused in a future development, say the site gets developed as apartments, that section could be used as leasing offices or gym space or whatever else. The Coca Cola building on S. Main is a good example.

Problem with this seems to be that the current owners aren't developers but just holding on to the land waiting to flip it when the value goes up, so they would really have a hard time keeping 1/3 a building structurally sound for what I suspect could be a long time.

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:58 AM

Dr. Rick Selcer (Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tours) has an interesting opinion piece in the Star-Telegram.  If you have access to it, the link is posted below:

https://www.star-tel...e232270652.html

#32 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:04 PM

Exactly. I agree completely.

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

The Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission voted today to put the 180 day Demolition Delay into effect on the property.  FOX 4 News covered the story and interviewed Dr. Richard Selcer and Bob Ray Sanders.  Below is a link to the story and video:

http://www.fox4news....x-klan-building

Luke Ranker with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram also wrote an article about the commission meeting.  If you have access to it, the link is below:

https://www.star-tel...e232408007.html

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

BTW - January 4th will have been 180 days. We're about 100 in right now. I wonder if any progress has been made.

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:23 AM

I'm being picky here. Saturday, January 4, 2020 is day 180.  Legally, it can't be demolished on that day.  Day 181, where it can legally be demolished, is Sunday, January 5, 2020. 

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

The Landmarks Commission is expecting to hear a report on finding alternatives to demolition of the building at this month's Landmarks Commission Meeting.  The Demolition Delay period expires before the next scheduled meeting in January.

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

Here's the website of the folks looking to hoping it

https://madmimi.com/s/246e6f

#38 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

That would be great if they can pull it off.

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:37 PM

DNA Works posted an update, sounds like things are going well.

https://www.instagra.../p/B9UxSqPpAB-/

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

Heres an update from the Star Telegram.

https://amp.star-tel...impression=true

#41 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, Austin.  I was going to post the link to the article. 

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

This building has too much of a stain upon it.  It will always be haunted by its past.

I would rather it be razed and the site be used as a memorial park to those in Fort Worth who strove to make Fort Worth a more perfect community.

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:37 PM

With the Demolition Delay lifted and the permit granted, the owners can demolish it at any time.  However, they also can develop it, if it becomes waterfront property on the diversion channel.  There's also no guarantee that the diversion channel will be built.

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

This building has too much of a stain upon it.  It will always be haunted by its past.

It's precisely that history that the DNA Works people want to highlight, and overcome.

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

It's precisely that history that the DNA Works people want to highlight, and overcome.

If they are successful in overcoming this building's particular notoriety, they would be the exception to the rule.

Many cities are removing, deconstructing symbols from this uniquely troublesome era in history; Fort Worth should also be doing the same.  In 2020, Austria is neutralizing the house where Adolf Hitler was born by turning it into a police station.  By becoming a police station, the Austrians hope that it will stop neo-nazis from making a pilgrimage to the building.

I believe that DNA Works is being naive.

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:27 PM

The building opened in 1925, which means it is 95 years old.  The KKK occupied the building from 1925 until 1927.  At the most, that is 3 years out of 95.  That was not very long in comparison to how long the building has stood. 

#47 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:26 AM

I'm for preservation; however the 3 years that the building was used for gathering and coordination of a terrorist organization unfortunately will forever make it associated with that chapter in its past. 

I know that there may be other buildings within Fort Worth that probably have a troubling past, but the actual size of the building as it dominates the horizon is an unavoidable reminder of what took place there.  I can not pinpoint the exact moment when I became aware of the history associated with the building, but it is nearly impossible for me to notice each time I am in its vicinity without imagining the kinds of sights and sounds which originated within its walls for those three years.

Let us simply remove it from our landscape and use the grounds to establish a park of love and peace, trees and fountains. Perhaps there can be a historical plaque to inform visitors of what it had been and what it has been transformed into. 

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

It  feels like a big "middle finger" to the Klan to have the exact opposite of what they would have wanted in a building they built.

#49 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

There is an optimistic part of me that wants to believe that the Klan has seen its days of glory.  The effective way to deal with such things is to dismantle the dark past and to educate by replacing these symbols as has done Germany.

If the building remains intact, neo-nazis will imagine and pay homage to the building.  Just rid the city of it and give no succor to fringe groups.

#50 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:06 PM

I grew up on the Northside and moved back to the area after I bought my family home 2 years ago.  I have driven by this building thousands of times in my life and to me it was just an abandoned building that looked like it would fall down one day.  It may have been functioning when I was a youngster but I can't recall.  To me this project would stand out personally because of not only my lifelong ties to the area but also because I am of Mexican Descent and because I am a Gay man.  What better way to change the history of a place that was used as a gathering space for hate and division then to change it into a place of love and bringing people from all walks of life together.  I work in Commercial and Residential Real Estate and I would love to get involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users