• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#51 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:38 AM

What is the Zigzag Moderne style?

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

Zigzag Moderne was early period of the Art Deco Movement that featured strong geometric shapes, Mayan influences, and stepped back designs.  It was the first period of American Art Deco Architecture.  Many of the skyscrapers that were built in this timeframe were influenced by the Mayan Pyramids.  Fort Worth has many examples of this period of the Art Deco Movement.  The entire T&P comlex, minus the U.S. Post Office is probably one of the best examples in the city.  The Sinclair Hotel is another fine example.  Will Rogers is another.  The Blackstone Hotel uses the setbacks in that style, but the building also has a lot of Gothic influences.  For a low rise design, the Western Union Building is an excellent example where it uses the Zigzag Motif on the base and on the pinnacles at the roof.

#53 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:35 AM

What is the Zigzag Moderne style?

Here's an example in Tulsa

bostonmeth2.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:18 PM

Here are a few in Fort Worth:

tp3.jpg

Interior of the T&P:

tpint-1.jpg

The Sinclair Hotel:

sinclair2.jpg

Will Rogers:

willrogers3.jpg

Western Union:

wunion2.jpg

#55 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:41 AM

The Masonic Temple, too?

#56 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:03 AM

The Masonic Temple is not a pure form of Zigzag Moderne.  It's form is from the period, but the detailing is Classical Moderne, more of the middle period of Art Deco.  The plan is Beaux Arts, which is from an earlier timeframe.  Below is my text from the building listing of the Masonic Temple:

"This Masonic temple, designed by Wiley G. Clarkson sits on a dominant hillside on the southwest end of Downtown Fort Worth. Although the temple is of the Classical Moderne Phase of the Art Deco era, it shows elements of other architectural styles. A grand exterior staircase extends from Henderson Street up to the front door. The building shape itself is a ziggurat form with the top of the ziggurat becoming a greek temple with a flat roof. The columns on this upper portion of the temple are of the ionic order, yet the plan of the building is in the Beaux Arts style. The exterior material is Indiana Limestone. The interior of the temple has remained virtually unchanged over the years.  Harry B. Friedman was the General Contractor.  The building is primarily now used as a meeting and event venue.  The building has several rooms that can seat large numbers of people.  The two most notable spaces are the Grand Ballroom on the first floor and the Commandry on the upper two levels."

Even though I didn't list them or show examples, there are many other ZigZag Moderne buildings in Fort Worth. 

#57 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

I'm curious how well the style would translate to present day architecture materials and design.

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

Austin, I think it would depend on the architect, the owner and the budget.  Look how nice the Dickies Arena turned out, and it has shades of Art Deco to its design.  More specifically, I think the McDavid Studio portion of the Maddox-Muse Center turned out very well, and it is almost a post-modern interpretation of the Western Union Building.

mm-3.jpg

#59 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

I'm curious how well the style would translate to present day architecture materials and design.

I'd say pretty much any building around Southlake Town Square would be a prime example... or even the latest Sundance Plaza buildings.

7fwPZnE.png

#60 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:44 PM

Downtown Fort Worth Inc - https://www.dfwi.org/go/tandp-passage

Question: Which, Fort Worth Central or T&P, do you think should be the official station to Downtown? Why?

#61 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:12 PM

Downtown Fort Worth Inc - https://www.dfwi.org/go/tandp-passage

Question: Which, Fort Worth Central or T&P, do you think should be the official station to Downtown? Why?

Central, because there's more room, more rail options and you already have the buses, the charters and Taxi drop-offs there. 

7fwPZnE.png

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:12 PM

T&P has the grandeur. (Post#54)  This for me elevates it beyond bus connections, rail connections, taxi drop offs; and it fronts what I hope will become the Grand Avenue of Fort Worth stretching from the Water Gardens to the Museums and the Exhibition Center.

In its current iteration, Fort Worth Central is ordinary and faces a street dessert.  I do agree that it does have the connectivity, but that is just about all you can say for it.  So far me, its T&P.

With the proviso that this will get us off topic, Trinity Metro centralizing its routes through Downtown is of its own poor judgement and planning.  A good transit network would have multiple nodes where riders can get to their destination without going through DT.  FWC is indicative of TM always doing the ordinary.

#63 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 09:36 PM

The article is paywalled but a principal from Catalyst spoke about Lancaster Corridor. 
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2021/12/31/catalyst-urban-development-lancaster-corridor.html 

#64 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 11:25 PM

The article is paywalled but a principal from Catalyst spoke about Lancaster Corridor. 
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2021/12/31/catalyst-urban-development-lancaster-corridor.html 

Anything new?

(The article isn't even showing up)

7fwPZnE.png

#65 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 12:19 AM

The usual issue with a space getting tacked onto the end of the url. This should work: https://www.bizjourn...r-corridor.html

Catalyst plans to expand on the Burnett Lofts footprint with restaurants, additional multifamily, small office and hotel development, moving west to east over ten years.

#66 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:25 AM

https://fortworthrep...-begin-in-2023/

The refreshed Entrance/Front plaza for T&P will finally kickoff early 2023. Its nice to see acknowledgement of the Lobby space by Trinity Metro, but their reason given for not opening it up is silly.

*spelling

#67 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:54 AM

https://fortworthrep...-begin-in-2023/

The refreshed Entrance/Front plaza for T&P will finally kickoff early 2023. It’s nice to see acknowledgement of the Lobby space by Trinity Metro, but there reason given for not opening it up is silly.

TLA,

Here's the HCLC staff report on this:

https://www.fortwort...ster-ave-tp.pdf

• TLA likes this

#68 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 09:11 AM

Two Lancaster related questions I keep forgetting to ask:

What is going up on the block bordered by the I-35 service road/Lancaster/Kentucky (SE corner of 35 and Lancaster)?  I've noticed some serious construction happening there for a few months.

I know the T&P Warehouse gets a lot of our attention, but has anyone ever heard of any plans for the vacant Star Telegram warehouse on the corner of Hemphill and Lancaster?  It's been vacant as long as I can remember.  It appears to be secure and in decent condition for a 75+ year old vacant building.

#69 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 22 December 2022 - 11:50 AM

What is going up on the block bordered by the I-35 service road/Lancaster/Kentucky (SE corner of 35 and Lancaster)?  I've noticed some serious construction happening there for a few months.

I believe that is the second phase of the Union Gospel Mission residential building.

#70 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 06:14 PM

I believe that is the second phase of the Union Gospel Mission residential building.

rriojas71, you are correct but I don't think it is necessarily residential.  They call it Community Outreach Center.

Here's a thread on that project.  I made a few updates today if anyone wants to learn more:

https://www.fortwort...c=7289&p=136629

#71 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:28 PM

I reached out to Councilperson Beck's office about the construction going on in the median of West Lancaster in front of the post office and T&P complex.  Her office responded quickly and comprehensively with details on the project.  It's a landscaping and irrigation project for the median.  But most interesting and exciting is that it includes re-lighting the sculptures in the median.  Arts Fort Worth also responded with this information:

Council Member Beck's office asked us to provide project information about construction on the W. Lancaster Avenue medians. You'll be happy to know that work does indeed include re-lighting the sculptures!  

Currently, the City's Parks Department is implementing a landscaping plan recommended by artist Cliff Garten, who incidentally is a certified landscape architect as well as an artist. Kevin Rodriguez is the landscaping project manager.

Following completion of the landscaping project, Fort Worth Public Art will move forward with upgrades to the lighting system for the sculptures.  Dallas based Essential Light Design Studio has provided the city with a terrific lighting plan which was vetted with community stakeholders. 

We're looking forward to getting them back on, too, and appreciate your support!

According to the project plan they sent it should be completed by June of this year.  Good news!

#72 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 12:53 PM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2024011033

PROJECT
Project Name: DOGTOPIA - FORT WORTH
Project Number: TABS2024011033
Facility Name: DOGTOPIA
Location Address: 1109 LAMAR ST
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 5/20/2024
Completion Date: 7/15/2024
Estimated Cost: $750,000
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: BUILD OUT FOR NEW DOG-DAYCARE, 9,140 SQ FT
Square Footage: 9,140 ft 2

OWNER
Owner Name: HATCH ENTERPRISES LLC
Owner Address: 4141 CLOUDVEIL TERRACE
FORT WORTH, Texas 76109

DESIGN FIRM
Design Firm Name: SARGENTI ARCHITECTS
Design Firm Address: 461 FROM RD
PARAMUS, New Jersey 07652

1109-Lamar-St-Fort-Worth-TX-Primary-Phot

#73 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 09 February 2024 - 02:16 PM

Dogtopia?  That's definitely the kind of business everyone wants to see on a Grand Boulevard in downtown.  LOL

• TLA likes this

#74 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 07:33 PM

Hey, if they keep that building and put it to good use I'm all for it.

My blog: Doohickie

#75 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:37 AM

Doggy daycare will be a killer business there if it's run well. Locals can walk (not drive!) their dogs in for a two night stay before hopping on the train to the airport for a weekend jaunt. Solves a big pain point for downtown residents. 

#76 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:11 AM

Burnett Lofts immediately generated some "life" in that corner of town just with the amount of dog walkers that came from it. 

#77 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 08:20 AM

Burnett Lofts immediately generated some "life" in that corner of town just with the amount of dog walkers that came from it. 

I've noticed more dog walkers all over downtown lately.

#78 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 09:01 AM

PROJECT
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.

OWNER
FORT WORTH, Texas 76109

DESIGN FIRM

Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness for the following:
(1 ) For exterior improvements, including new exterior light fixtures around the building, repair of damaged areas of the sidewalks, partial infill of two doors, infill of two doors and wall opening of two new doors, installation of protection film on windows, a new parapet to extend the existing CMU wall facing West 13th Street, removal of structural damaged walls of the northeast corner of the building, installation of a wooden fence to create a new outdoor fenced area, and a new dumpster enclosure with the following waivers:
(a ) A Waiver from the street tree standards to not install street trees.
(b ) A waiver from the pedestrian light standards to not install pedestrian lights.
(2 ) For two new illuminated wall signs, and the following waivers:
(a ) A waiver from the allocation of sign area standards for ground floor signs on a storefront exceeding 50 linear feet, to allow a wall sign with an area of 39.14 square feet and a second sign with an area of 22.13 square feet for a total area of 61.27 square feet, instead of the maximum allowed square footage of 35 square feet.
Case: DG24-003
Zoning District: PD 592 - H Zoning
Council District: 9
Date: March 7, 2024 @ 2:00 PM

UfXGWRt.png

#79 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:00 PM

PROJECT
Fort Worth, TX 76102

OWNER
FORT WORTH, Texas 76109

DESIGN FIRM

Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness for the following:
(1 ) For exterior improvements, including new exterior light fixtures around the building, repair of damaged areas of the sidewalks, partial infill of two doors, infill of two doors and wall opening of two new doors, installation of protection film on windows, a new parapet to extend the existing CMU wall facing West 13th Street, removal of structural damaged walls of the northeast corner of the building, installation of a wooden fence to create a new outdoor fenced area, and a new dumpster enclosure with the following waivers:
(a ) A Waiver from the street tree standards to not install street trees.
(b ) A waiver from the pedestrian light standards to not install pedestrian lights.
(2 ) For two new illuminated wall signs, and the following waivers:
(a ) A waiver from the allocation of sign area standards for ground floor signs on a storefront exceeding 50 linear feet, to allow a wall sign with an area of 39.14 square feet and a second sign with an area of 22.13 square feet for a total area of 61.27 square feet, instead of the maximum allowed square footage of 35 square feet.
Case: DG24-003
Zoning District: PD 592 - H Zoning
Council District: 9
Date: March 7, 2024 @ 2:00 PM

UfXGWRt.png

. . . they're really doin' this, huh? 

7fwPZnE.png

#80 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 05:49 AM

Good use for an old building.  Probably demand for it among the downtown dwellers too.

#81 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 10:00 AM

Good use for an old building.  Probably demand for it among the downtown dwellers too.

I agree about the demand but I think the location is terrible.  A doggie daycare on a Grand Blvd, just what every downtown should have.

#82 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 10:32 AM

I don't understand the concern.

#83 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:45 AM

I don't understand the concern.

Just a matter of opinion

#84 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:17 PM

Although I agree that I had hoped for more, the good news is that it can serve its doggy function for now; maybe create a little more energy in that area, and then later, when the time comes and a higher use for the location is found, it is easy enough to shift the business to another spot.

We probably don't have to worry that people who can afford doggy daycare / doggy spa / doggy overnight vacations would be considered a blight on the area and inherently inhibit folks from seeing what it could someday be.

There are lots of strip-center kinds of businesses that would be much worse and set a negative tone.

#85 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:55 PM

I was curious about the property boundaries and the area toward Lancaster is not part of Dogtopia: 

• Net Leasable Area: 9,449
  • Land Sqft: 15,682
  • Land Acres: 0.3600

MXE5Jn0.png

#86 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:08 PM

That plot of land had a proposal on it that came about right around Covid and has been quiet since: https://www.fortwort...=6989&hl=monroe

#87 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:12 PM

That plot of land had a proposal on it that came about right around Covid and has been quiet since: https://www.fortwort...=6989&hl=monroe

Essentially, Dogtopia can preserve that cool 1940 building and we could still also get a highrise development on the available property next to it?  Strange that plat didn't pull up on TAD though, it wasn't even clickable but I didn't really spend anytime searching for it either.

#88 NThomas

NThomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:23 PM

Essentially, Dogtopia can preserve that cool 1940 building and we could still also get a highrise development on the available property next to it?  Strange that plat didn't pull up on TAD though, it wasn't even clickable but I didn't really spend anytime searching for it either.
A lot of times when this happens there's a update to the parcel layer and the prior parcel has been removed (usually subdivided), but the new one(s) have yet to be added (even if the new account data is available, juts not yet linked to the GIS layer).

#89 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:26 PM

A lot of times when this happens there's a update to the parcel layer and the prior parcel has been removed (usually subdivided), but the new one(s) have yet to be added (even if the new account data is available, juts not yet linked to the GIS layer).

Ah, good to know.  Thanks.  I sometimes run across final plat filings for those combined lots.

#90 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 10:31 AM

Here's the DDRB presentation for Dogtopia:

8xoXleD.png

vRKiiCa.png

UwQ9nYD.png

LaeU1qc.png

FXq9q0K.png

1iP6dCo.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users