#651 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 July 2022 - 08:01 AM

In the eyes of the City, where the form-based codes have been established, the answer is no.  The boundaries of the form-based code area are approximately the FWWR railroad on the west (this eliminates Mistletoe Heights and Midtown), the Union Pacific Railroad on the north, the BNSF Railway on the east, and a variable boundary on the south that goes along Allen Ave., Travis Ave., the southern property line of all of Magnolia, Hurley Ave. and the alley between Hurley & 8th, then down to W. Arlington, then 1/2 block west to the railroad.  Cook Children's Hospital properties are a donut in this area and the zoning jumps across the BNSF tracks to include the area around I-35W.

I think the Near Southside's business development boundaries extend a little further out than the form-based code areas.

#652 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 05:23 PM

The to-go/street parking spots in front of Maggie's is now filled in with a new curb. The photo was about a week ago. As of this weekend, it is all bricks. I'm assuming Maggie's will use this for additional (permanent) outdoor seating, similar to the wine bar across the street & Nonna / Lazy Moose. 

Personal Opinion: I'd like to see more of this, plus filling in some of the medians along Magnolia to be pedestrian-crossing friendly, then finally some bike protection. Somedays it seems stroad-like when the road-markings fade.

HW3bhsZ.jpg

#653 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 06:23 AM

Dirt turning on Fire Station Skate Park.

V3kmh27.jpg

#654 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 06:35 AM

Dirt turning on Fire Station Skate Park.

V3kmh27.jpgAnyone know if the former 7 11 and that smoke shop stay?  I thought this project took the full block.  

#655 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 10:59 AM

The 7-11 closed a while ago and they dug the tanks out of the ground.  From what I heard, the plan is for the Magnolia Skate Shop to move in to the 7-11 building.

Note they are building a new 7-11 on the corner of Hemphill and Berry.

#656 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:37 PM

This has broken ground.

#657 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:48 PM

never was too excited about this design of this building but at least it is covering up a vacant lot and will add more commercial space to the area.

#658 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 08:07 PM

905 W Cannon progress. The Cannon side has brick work mostly done. This was taken mid-September.

ModNGCm.jpg

#659 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 05:58 PM

TIF 4 update from the yesterday's council working session. Waitlist projects include public park space in Vickery Village, due West of the Laundry location, TOD infrastructure at Mistletoe Station, Circulation /  Intersections at 8th ave, Magnolia East of Hemphill, Henderson and Jennings underpasses, and Broadway Ave:S Main - Jennings Pedestrian Connection.

#660 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 06:08 PM

Pulled these conceptual renderings of T&P and Mistletoe Station from the Near Southside Inc presentation yesterday. Sounded like there is a Trinity Metro RFP put out for 200 Vickery.

Couldn't find individual posts for each site, feel free to move or take these to the right one.

JvqVrlk.jpg

tUSjlpe.jpg

BGs7tHS.jpg

L11AV4j.jpg

#661 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 11:29 PM

Pulled these conceptual renderings of T&P and Mistletoe Station from the Near Southside Inc presentation yesterday. Sounded like there is a Trinity Metro RFP put out for 200 Vickery.

Couldn't find individual posts for each site, feel free to move or take these to the right one.

JvqVrlk.jpg

tUSjlpe.jpg

I hope they're not playing with my emotions, again. 

• TLA likes this

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#662 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 03 November 2022 - 08:27 PM

JvqVrlk.jpg

I hope they're not playing with my emotions, again. 

I thought of a few of yours posts when this came up

#663 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 08:58 PM

There's also a tiny inset rendering that makes me wondering how far along this proposal is. It looks nice! You can also make out the developer Seco Verntures out of Austin.

sNz2jhw.jpg

#664 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:52 AM

I'm just wondering why the scrapped the hotel in favor of an office. 

Also, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why the buses don't run directly underneath 30 and have stops that are closer to where the train platform entrance is. There is room to carve out a bus lane and stops. 

7fwPZnE.png

#665 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 November 2022 - 07:17 AM

It would be nice if they could underground / relocate / delete the electrical utility on the corner, to make room to stretch this development all the way east to main street:

QCeBpcH.jpg

#666 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 05 November 2022 - 07:34 AM

That looks to be a strategic utility yard where the high voltage lines step down and then go underground.

https://goo.gl/maps/Z4k2H9Hp99pL1RUf9

#667 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:56 PM

New occupancy permits filed for the building formerly occupied by M.A.S.S., "THE CICADA".

#668 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 11:09 PM

That didn't take long.

My blog: Doohickie

#669 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 08:04 AM

Looks like the applicant is a local musician who’s been around a minute. Will be a great addition.

Next door, Brix BBQ has their signage up and look to be getting closer to opening.

#670 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:13 PM

Hope they give the exterior a spruce up, at the least.

• TLA likes this

7fwPZnE.png

#671 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 09:13 AM

The Near Southside TIF has been extended for 10 years.  Below is a link to the City's website on this action:

https://www.fortwort...ws/2022/11/tif4

#672 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 01:47 PM

Is there value in replicating old shotgun structures on the Near Southside, for example?  They seem like simple structures that could serve various uses.  I saw someone posted they historically are 12 ft W max, I assume the ratios matter (H to W & roof slopes) - so maybe 15' W could work? If so could fit on a 25' lot (dividing a 50' lot in half)... right?

#673 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 07:48 AM

Is there value in replicating old shotgun structures on the Near Southside, for example?  They seem like simple structures that could serve various uses.  I saw someone posted they historically are 12 ft W max, I assume the ratios matter (H to W & roof slopes) - so maybe 15' W could work? If so could fit on a 25' lot (dividing a 50' lot in half)... right?

Good question. To answer it, it'd help to know what density is achievable with new-build shotgun structures, and whether their dimensions would accommodate modern usage patterns / floor plans. 

#674 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:30 AM

Appears to be some movement on a smaller multifamily or townhome project at 400 block of W. Cleveland.  One streetviews, a house has a big sign on it saying "For Sale 6 Lots .65 Acres" and the UDC filing indicates potentially 20 units to be built with Studio 97W listed as the architect which is promising, considering they have done decent design work on these type of projects.  There was an older NEZ application for some apartments here dated 2018 but good through early 2023.

Record UDC-2022-119: 
Urban Design Commission
Record Status: Pending

• TLA likes this

#675 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

Here's photos from the LaunchBox Collective at 2726 Lipscomb St. There's already a retail space occupied by a charcuterie/grazing board store... corner spotin my second photo. There's still a lot of work to be done from peering through the windows.

HhFcWi1.jpg

k9AbiMG.jpg

Also, the new Pie Tap Pizza on Magnolia. They are making progress on the inside, but surprisingly changing up the windows and maybe the façade. Interestingly, there is great brick behind the bland stucco/hardy board. 

8bbQdoA.jpg

#676 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 02:39 PM

There are some nice ghost signs showing up on the facade of the building at 2726 Lipscomb.  Over at Pie Tap Pizza, I can remember when that building had a brick facade.

• TLA likes this

#677 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 03:00 PM

The launchbox seems like a cool project. Thanks for sharing your photos!

• TLA likes this

#678 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 03:14 PM

I also appreciate that you have shared several of your photos over the weekend.

#679 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:06 AM

Date: December 15, 2022 @10:00 AM

1004-travis-ave.png

• TLA likes this

#680 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:07 AM

Appears to be some movement on a smaller multifamily or townhome project at 400 block of W. Cleveland.  One streetviews, a house has a big sign on it saying "For Sale 6 Lots .65 Acres" and the UDC filing indicates potentially 20 units to be built with Studio 97W listed as the architect which is promising, considering they have done decent design work on these type of projects.  There was an older NEZ application for some apartments here dated 2018 but good through early 2023.

Record UDC-2022-119: 
Urban Design Commission

Case: UDC-2022-119
Address: 466 W. Cleveland Avenue

466-w-cleveland.png

#681 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:19 AM

I didn't realize they were planning so much development along Wayside...

Case: UDC-2022-112

3144-wayside.png

...and around the corner part of this same group of projects:

Case: UDC-2022-111
Address: 3217 Forest Park Blvd

3217-forest-park.png

#682 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:50 PM

Record UDC-2022-119: 
Urban Design Commission

Case: UDC-2022-119
Address: 466 W. Cleveland Avenue

466-w-cleveland.png

This Cleveland Ave. project has really peaked my interest.  This redevelopment has some very interesting structures including A-frames.  Also, check out the streetviews link from the Wayside Ave post above too, there's some interesting townhome projects uniformly arrangement along that street with more projects to come.  They're a bit "one note" but I like the repetition and urban simplicity of this design.  It seems like it would be highly repeatable in other neighborhoods while offering a bit more square footage than a more traditional single story / single family homes.  I'm suprised this didn't get further UDC pushback TBH.  I'll need to dig through past cases but the lines are almost overtly bare perhaps lacking any real detail and void of style.  It's sort of begging for something just a little more, like an un-iced birthday cake, needs a pop of color or some type of light architectural fixtures, something to give it some interest, vs a "muted rowhouse" look.  They should have used a standing seam metal roof on these.  Sort of seems like they cheaped out with the 3-tab shingles. 

e8eKbFP.png

#683 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:40 PM

I guess everyone has different tastes. I like the clean, minimalistic, symmetrical, consistent color pallete, textured with brick and shingle, mix of familiar and modernist elements, etc.

#684 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:37 PM

I generally agree with you steave. The look overall is attractive to me.

I would maybe have added a small horizontal / cantilevered porch cover with a modern light fixture at the front door or inset the front door. Nothing worse than fumbling around in pouring rain with groceries looking for your keys or letting a visitor stand out there uncovered. Just seems like design 101 stuff.

EygIpTw.jpg

j4ccOBU.jpg

#685 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 08:42 AM

I noticed the city changed the image file on Wayside that I posted yesterday.  I just grabbed the image hyperlink from the case map.  Did anyone else catch that overall site plan they had showing some mid-rise development on the east side of Wayside Ave?

#686 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:25 AM

Via TMA-CHA Architects: https://www.facebook...machaarchitects

Townhomes Coming to Bryan Avenue in Fort Worth

TMA Architects designed two sets of townhomes and both projects are in Fort Worth. The townhomes will have three-story units and each unit will have a garage. Both sites are on Bryan Avenue, south of Dashwood Street, in the Near Southside neighborhood.
The projects are awaiting permits from the city. We’ll keep you updated!

nQxM3Xg.png

#687 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 07:53 PM

Via TMA-CHA Architects: https://www.facebook...machaarchitects

Townhomes Coming to Bryan Avenue in Fort Worth[/size]

TMA Architects designed two sets of townhomes and both projects are in Fort Worth. The townhomes will have three-story units and each unit will have a garage. Both sites are on Bryan Avenue, south of Dashwood Street, in the Near Southside neighborhood.

The projects are awaiting permits from the city. We’ll keep you updated!

nQxM3Xg.png

Can’t wait to see these built. There’s the large mixed-use building on the Southeast corner of the intersection planned, 18 units planned directly to the North. Brix BBQ moving in, MASS changing to a new venue, and a new bar at 150 W Rosedale. This will a fairly populated area soon.

Also, I havent taken a picture yet, but 911 S Main (Eagle Studios?) is rebuilding a building/completely renovating that space.

#688 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 09:59 PM

Can’t wait to see these built. There’s the large mixed-use building on the Southeast corner of the intersection planned, 18 units planned directly to the North. Brix BBQ moving in, MASS changing to a new venue, and a new bar at 150 W Rosedale. This will a fairly populated area soon.

Also, I havent taken a picture yet, but 911 S Main (Eagle Studios?) is rebuilding a building/completely renovating that space.

There's slowly a nice critical mass of retail/activity from the core of S. Main towards Magnolia. The JPS properties are really slowing it down but at least they are being spiffied up. 

#689 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 02:12 PM

Yeah.  It's disappointing that the JPS buildings are not being used as storefront retail/restaurant spaces.  It's kinda the same way I feel about the 2 older structures being used by Harris Methodist at the intersection of Henderson and Pennsylvania.

• TLA likes this

#690 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 07:39 AM

I didn't realize they were planning so much development along Wayside...

Case: UDC-2022-112

...and around the corner part of this same group of projects:

Case: UDC-2022-111
Address: 3217 Forest Park Blvd

If/when they put the TEXRail station in for TCU, it will be RIGHT THERE.  My understanding is it will be on the west side of W Cleburne (/8th Ave/McCart) just south of Berry.  That will make these dwellings very desirable I would think.

#691 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:23 AM

those row houses on wayside were developed by Hedgefield Homes (sp).

I like them but do think they badly need trees planted along the street in front of them.

A bit surprised to see so many for-sale townhouses and other urban for sale homes popping up at this moment given the residential mortgage and construction loan environment.

#692 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 07:55 AM

those row houses on wayside were developed by Hedgefield Homes (sp).

I like them but do think they badly need trees planted along the street in front of them.

A bit surprised to see so many for-sale townhouses and other urban for sale homes popping up at this moment given the residential mortgage and construction loan environment.

It makes sense when you think about it.  When loans were more affordable properties moved quickly.  Assuming the same relative number of homes are coming to the market, they linger longer so it looks like there are a lot of them. For new homes starts, yes the construction loan market is a hindrance but I think it's more likely a developer can more readily absorb the rate increase than a home buyer.  If it comes down to keeping their builders going versus cutting them off, it may be worth it to continue forward in a challenging environment, especially if the rate hikes are viewed as temporary.

#693 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 06:45 PM

Here are a couple of photographs of the new 7-Eleven at Hemphill & Berry.  I find it interesting in that many years ago, there was a typical suburban 7-Eleven at this intersection with the gas pumps directly on the corner and parking in the front.  It had been closed for many years before they decided to return to the intersection.  The new building is right on the corner, and the gas pumps are in the rear, right next to the Berry Theater. 

52685879345_b54fa2e42c_k.jpg7-eleven-hemphill-berry1 by jtrobert, on Flickr

52685879325_28cf8d0e1c_k.jpg7-eleven-hemphill-berry2 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#694 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 07:19 PM

I was just thinking to myself the other day, you don't see too many new 7-Eleven's anymore at least in comparison to QT's.  I saw a new bigger 7-Eleven off of George Bush Turnpike and Trinity Blvd which has a site layout to allow big rig refueling.

#695 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 11:33 AM

I saw O.B. Macaroni is for lease at 108 S. Freeway.  Some interior shots here:

PDF: https://buildout-pro...bc886f1c481c489

#696 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:26 PM

Here is a photo from yesterday of 1301 W Magnolia - future Pie Tap location / Great Harvest. It seemed worked had stalled for a time. They've been working on this since maybe late Summer, but not sure how much progress has been made in that time. To the left you can see the future pizza oven. Out of view to the right there is another bar area. In the middle-right, you can see the courtyard with a mature tree in the middle. 

The plaque indicates this building is entered into the National Registry of Historical Places. Does this give the building any protected status? I'm surprised to see so many of the windows ripped out and seemingly extensive exterior work being done. 

pV42pYm.jpg

#697 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:33 PM

Looks like you need a hard hat on just to go past on the sidewalk!

• TLA likes this

#698 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:51 PM

This one is at Daggett and St. Louis, future home of Panther City Tavern, same developer did the building across the street.

tfzOtVz.jpg?1

I noticed that they lot that this building is planned for has been cleared of trees.  Maybe a ground breaking soon?

• TLA likes this

#699 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 09:08 PM

Record UDC-2023-022: 
Urban Design Commission

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Project Description:
Thrive Apothecary-Wall Sign
Thrive Appothecary Wall Sign 30.01 Sq Ft East Elevation
Non-Illuminated Flat Cut Out lettering Thrive Apothecary Wall Sign 30.01 Sq Ft East Elevation 2.88' tall 10.43' wide

#700 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 08:12 AM

Looks like 1025 S. Jennings is becoming an ACH Child and Family Services location:

Sign Permit:

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

YBpoA9J.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users