#51 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:08 PM

Have you looked at Strava's Global Heatmap?  It shows the routes that most cyclists on Strava use and I feel that is a pretty good indicator of what streets are safe and what streets are not.  Here's a link to the map centered on Fort Worth.  You can pan and zoom to some extents.

https://www.strava.c....73472/hot/ride

#52 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:13 PM

Have you looked at Strava's Global Heatmap?  It shows the routes that most cyclists on Strava use and I feel that is a pretty good indicator of what streets are safe and what streets are not.  Here's a link to the map centered on Fort Worth.  You can pan and zoom to some extents.

https://www.strava.c....73472/hot/ride

I don't think it's much about what streets are safe as much as it is about unaware drivers.  I'm overly cautious when I ride and I'm always looking around for cars.  I have just had too many occasions where if it were not for the fact that I was paying attention I would have had an encounter/collision with a vehicle who just didn't realize I was there.

#53 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:15 PM

I will agree that there are a lot of unaware drivers.  However, I do feel that the streets with the greatest number of cyclists are probably safer than some of the streets with fewer numbers.  I linked to the Strava Heatmap so you could see where other cyclists ride frequently.  Through the South Side, I feel that Fairmount and Willing are safe bicycle streets.  That street is extra wide and was once a streetcar line.

#54 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

Hemphill has quickly become a favorite route for cyclists especially northbound.  It's a little tougher southbound, owing to the slight climb and prevailing southerly headwind.  One thing I've noticed is that it's not just lycra-clad racers using the route; a lot of people seem to be using it for local trips between businesses along the corridor (based on my observations.

It's a corridor of murals and sign art at the south end.  Here are a few:

mtuyZgcbc4cYbFfECPOyltopl_9Xphe5XV5AdEQ1

3fH_mrwk7wovmzsyrQneI6xMgqCaBUWH273jXtHQ

QKc5f08pzlai6xkDB0cyGswPJgEAThI_aSJbXsBT

j6-1TX-1eTObQts2wBUgkOflDsYUk2AnjZ8wR0tl

0kB5HtY0MsrXkdQodq4knp3tt38w1kEoKp-nD5G8

LztZJy3q-ydHSYDHpYb-AQqc4I512_SnWV4C3-oA

My blog: Doohickie

#55 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:57 AM

Hemphill has quickly become a favorite route for cyclists especially northbound.  It's a little tougher southbound, owing to the slight climb and prevailing southerly headwind.  One thing I've noticed is that it's not just lycra-clad racers using the route; a lot of people seem to be using it for local trips between businesses along the corridor (based on my observations.

Thanks for sharing!

#56 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:17 AM

I really hope nothing happens with these buildings and murals. 

Could create a very unique strip in this town.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#57 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:25 PM

I really hope nothing happens with these buildings and murals. 

Could create a very unique strip in this town.

It's already created.  I wouldn't mind seeing more though.  It's beautiful to my eyes.  I took one more picture on a recent ride:  RIP Vanessa Guillén.

dw-Tq5wShadAMQnPnHADn6Hb6EWiCRqYnlbC6xfc

#58 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 10:52 PM

One thing the lanes have made me realize is how barren Hemphill is for a short stretch between Pennsylvania and Rosedale. Smack in the middle of Near South, this area screams potential. 

#59 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:49 AM

Just being able to ride the area at leisure without having to dodge cars, there is so much to take in on the 4 miles or so of bike lanes.  I did the ride last night at 8 pm and the stretch from Seminary to Berry is different at night.  More car traffic on a Friday night, all the taquerias are open, and lots of taco trucks too.  Everyone is out.

#60 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:35 AM

The vote to rezone Hemphill is this week. Not without opposition however, a Facebook group was started by citizens concerned about gentrification, particularly among the latino owned businesses along the street. It has garnered over 1,000 follows. 

https://www.facebook.../defendhemphill

#61 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

I looked at the zoning packet online, and there are actually quite a bit of interesting cases on the docket. 

#62 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:39 AM

The vote to rezone Hemphill is this week. Not without opposition however, a Facebook group was started by citizens concerned about gentrification, particularly among the latino owned businesses along the street. It has garnered over 1,000 follows. 

https://www.facebook.../defendhemphill

I totally understand their concerns. 

That being said, I also feel like many people don't truly know what gentrification is...

7fwPZnE.png

#63 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:56 AM

I see 3 outcomes,

1. Hemphill doesn't gentrify

2. Hemphill gentrifies without NSS zoning

3 Hemphill gentrifies with NSS zoning, which would at least likely result in a better design

Even if it does gentrify, I wouldn't expect it to be entirely too quick. This is a looong stretch of street with a ton of uses up and down it, and there's a lot of other areas that may be seen as more desirable pulling the focus away from the area. 

#64 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:58 AM

I've seen "Hemphill no se vende" (Hemphill is not for sale) signs along the street. People on Nextdoor are concerned about it too.

#65 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:52 AM

The Weekly has an article out

https://www.fwweekly...phill-for-sale/

#66 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:07 PM

Interesting article.  Gentrification/revitalization (Ann Zadeh makes a distinction between the two, not sure all agree with that) is a complex topic.  I'll be honest, I don't really know which way I fall on this.  I tend to lean toward the sentiments of the No Se Vende crowd but at the same time I wonder if it is an over-reaction on Rudy Avitia's part, based on the displacement of his earlier barber shop on Magnolia.

#67 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:28 PM

Spectrum News has also put out an article. 

https://spectrumloca...gentrification-

It's a complex issue for sure.

#68 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:58 PM

The article was interesting and informative.  I will agree that it is a complex issue.

#69 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:33 PM

The case was withdrawn by unanimous vote from the Zoning Commission. 

#70 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:35 PM

Our friends pastor a congregation in this neighborhood and bought the old Family Dollar at 2606 Hemphill next to Whataburger and converted the space to a church.  Their previous building was located directly behind Paschal High School at 2832 Townsend Dr which they sold to focus on helping the underserved and marginalized parts of the community rather than being tied up maintaining an old building.  I don't know what they paid here but will be interesting to see in a few years what it is worth.  I can hardly believe the market value has literally doubled in last 5-years. 

Just looking at the numbers below, I feel like many of the small business operators along here are fighting an uphill battle.  Look at Singleton and Trinity Groves in Dallas.  Dealing with rent increases to cover the property taxes on top of landlords selling to the highest bidder are two factors to consider.  If you're lucky enough to own your own property, then you might have some options.  Do you think this ship has already sailed?

https://www.tad.org/property/40371212/

z3oqqDX.png

(I took this back in March so there's been more progress since then.)

tQzdc2p.jpg?1

#71 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:53 PM

You mean.... they're not going to change the zoning?  Hemphill No Se Vende won?

#72 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:56 PM

Our friends pastor a congregation in this neighborhood and bought the old Family Dollar at 2606 Hemphill next to Whataburger and converted the space to a church.  Their previous building was located directly behind Paschal High School at 2832 Townsend Dr which they sold to focus on helping the underserved and marginalized parts of the community rather than being tied up maintaining an old building.  I don't know what they paid here but will be interesting to see in a few years what it is worth.  I can hardly believe the market value has literally doubled in last 5-years. 

Just looking at the numbers below, I feel like many of the small business operators along here are fighting an uphill battle.  Look at Singleton and Trinity Groves in Dallas.  Dealing with rent increases to cover the property taxes on top of landlords selling to the highest bidder are two factors to consider.  If you're lucky enough to own your own property, then you might have some options.  Do you think this ship has already sailed?

z3oqqDX.png

tQzdc2p.jpg?1

I noticed that building is now a church.  I think I know the building the sold too... was it on Lowden?

#73 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:49 AM

You mean.... they're not going to change the zoning?  Hemphill No Se Vende won?
Basically a 90 day delay is my understanding.

#74 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:29 AM

z3oqqDX.png

tQzdc2p.jpg?1

I noticed that building is now a church.  I think I know the building the sold too... was it on Lowden?

Yep, Lowden between Townsend / Frazier.  This article mentions they want to build some apartments here.  I haven't kept up with it to see if the new property owners have moved forward. 

https://www.star-tel...e234672182.html

#75 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:06 AM

The old church there was torn down already.

#76 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:26 PM

The old church there was torn down already.

Just curious, how much opposition was there to the demolition of 2100 W Lowden St?  Should there have been further discussion as far as preservation?  The larger steepled structure (marked #3) appears to have been added later sometime between 1952 and 1956 per Historic Aerials.  The main building had a small vomitory going into the sanctuary but you pretty much step right in off the sidewalk into the worship space.  These smaller neighborhood-style Baptist churches didn't especially incorporate a big narthex or fellowship hall for gatherings or transitional activities before and after service.  My theory is the 2104 building (marked #1) was the original church and the classrooms building 2828 was added directly behind it (marked #2).  I believe the housing located in the SW corner was part of the church and not entirely sure what the small wooden structure was behind it along Townsend Dr marked with a "?"

ccScBC2.png

#77 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:16 PM

I'm almost sure you are correct about 1, 2, & 3, but I don't know anything about the two smaller structures.

#78 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:46 PM

I finally made the time to read the linked articles about this.  I feel like neighborhoods always require care and feeding.  Some is inherent and related to maintenance and some is contrived and related to "valuations" and a property tax.  But they all relentlessly move forward over time.  Sometimes things grow so much that the care and feeding needs external help -- that doesn't automatically mean it is a bad thing, it just means the area has outgrown what it was.  Just like wanting to keep a cute puppy just a cute puppy is not the right thing and the dog deserves the chance to grow up, starving and stunting the growth and evolution of an area is not the right thing to do.  Although our property taxes are terribly high, they are still only a couple percent a year of the value -- surely all of the benefits of city infrastructure are worth that.

If there is a place to look, it is maybe to insure that current property owners are treated fairly and uniformly in seeking leveraging the value of their properties to finance maintenance and improvments.

#79 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:12 PM

If there is a place to look, it is maybe to insure that current property owners are treated fairly and uniformly in seeking leveraging the value of their properties to finance maintenance and improvments.

This is a double-edged sword:

• Premium valuations may help property owners when they want to sell or use their property to secure a loan, but
  • The higher the valuation, the higher the taxes paid.

#80 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:16 AM

Luke Ranker takes a really good look at the whole situation:

As Fort Worth's Near Southside booms, this street has become a battleground over growth

Video: https://www.star-tel...e248704585.html

#81 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:29 AM

According to the Hemphill No Se Vende...

#82 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:26 AM

The apartment situation is in the headlines again, with WFAA highlighting the fight against gentrification. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/we-dont-wanna-move-latino-business-owner-hemphill-st-worries-plans-new-development/287-f592f23b-f335-4f90-a8bc-dc3c21e33038 

#83 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:46 AM

The apartment situation is in the headlines again, with WFAA highlighting the fight against gentrification. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/we-dont-wanna-move-latino-business-owner-hemphill-st-worries-plans-new-development/287-f592f23b-f335-4f90-a8bc-dc3c21e33038 

Your link is dead

#84 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:02 AM

https://www.wfaa.com...bc-dc3c21e33038

Try this one.

#85 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 08 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

Not trying to minimize their very real concerns, but do you think this is a factor that encourages green-field development on the outskirts and the associated sprawl, rather than increasing density in the core?

#86 NThomas

NThomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:25 PM

Not trying to minimize their very real concerns, but do you think this is a factor that encourages green-field development on the outskirts and the associated sprawl, rather than increasing density in the core?

Any in-fill development (urban or suburban) faces that same challenge when rezoning proposals are adjacent to a larger number of stakeholders.

#87 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:39 PM

I would think we're talking about two different sets of developers.  The ones that are out in the sprawl aren't even thinking about infill in the first place.

#88 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 05:12 PM

The zoning board approved the change unanimously. 

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

Austin, I thought that they would approve this case.  It will be interesting how this project plays out.

#90 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:15 PM

As much as I understand what the barber is talking about and I can sympathize he has to understand that change happens and neighborhoods that show signs of neglect are the first ones that are targeted because of low property values and low income residents and renters.

I am Latino as well so I understand their concerns.  I was born and raised on the Northside and it is showing signs of that starting to happen here.  However several of us in the neighborhood (residents and business owners) are trying to create a business association here on Historic North Main to give the community a voice while also trying to encourage growth and pride in the neighborhood while promoting the change that is coming.  We want business to come to the area and to create jobs, if that means bringing in people with more financial leverage than that is what is needed to grow. 

Avitias talks about leaving his business to his kids but if things don't improve in the area his kids will not want to stay and live there when they grow up.  Most of the kids that grow up in the Northside leave when they become adults.  They leave because they don't see opportunity and they are looking for greener pastures and they leave to pursue the American Dream.  The American Dream to Latino Americans is to move out of the Barrio and live in the suburbs.  They feel like they have "made it out" when they are able to buy a new home in the suburbs.  We want to create a neighborhood that they want to stay in, but we can't don that with run down houses and abandoned buildings that are suffering from demolition by neglect.  Change is going to happen, we want to go with the flow of change and not fight against it.

#91 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 09:18 PM

The American Dream to Latino Americans is to move out of the Barrio and live in the suburbs.

I can understand this.  As a Polish American, I know that my family established themselves in the Polonia District of Buffalo, NY, including my great-great- and great-grandparents who built and shared this house a block on Sweet Avenue, a block over from Sobieski Street (at that time, every lot in that neighborhood had a house; most have since been torn down). 

But to their children and children's children, the American Dream was to move out to the suburbs which is what they did.  Virtually all of my family, and most of the Polish families, eventually moved out to the suburbs.  By 1960, the Sweet Avenue house was sold and no one from my family lived in that neighborhood anymore.

That area is becoming a vibrant immigrant community again, but now the old Catholic churches are being converted to mosques.  In a sentimental sense, it's sad that the once vibrant Polonia section is mostly devoid of Polish people, but time marches on and you can't freeze things as they are.

#92 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:56 AM

Tobias Place goes before a vote at City Council on Tuesday.  Below is a link to Scott Gordon's story on Channel 5:

https://www.nbcdfw.c...street/2761254/

#93 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:16 AM

Not sure if a siteplan of the project was ever posted. 

Dtafp47.jpg

#94 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:53 PM

The Tobias Place change was approved by unanimously Council.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article254974227.html#storylink=mainstage_lead 

#95 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:09 PM

Still surprised this went through...

7fwPZnE.png

#96 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 02:42 PM

Drainage Study Filed:

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Tobias Place

505 W BIDDISON ST, Fort Worth TX 76110

10.8 Acres

#97 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:56 AM

Drainage Study Filed:

Tobias Place

505 W BIDDISON ST, Fort Worth TX 76110

10.8 Acres

Grading Permit Filed for Tobias Place:

#98 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 03:07 PM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023011572

PROJECT
Project Name: Hemphill Road and Street A
Project Number: TABS2023011572
Facility Name: Hemphill Road and Street A
Location Address: Intersection of Hemphill Rd and Street A
Fort Worth, TX 76134
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 5/16/2023
Completion Date: 10/1/2023
Estimated Cost: $3,732,000
Type of Work: New Construction
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: Construction of 2 new roadways and accessible sidewalks.
Square Footage: 10,000 ft 2

#99 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 02:00 PM

Tobias Place is still workings it's way through processes, now going through street vacations: https://fortworthgov...DD-6B727A83CF82

• TLA likes this

#100 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:12 PM

Zoning change for used car lot denied by Fort Worth council after residents push back

https://www.star-tel...e280670180.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hemphill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users