408 replies to this topic

#101 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 11:03 AM

Furniture warranty company ProtectAll moved its headquarters from Florida to North Richland Hills, with around 200 jobs. The Business Journal talked to an executive about how they decided to move here.
Behind the move: Deep talent pool won North Texas this HQ move over Georgia, Florida and Nevada

Was there an article? I just found one sentence and page upon page of ads and click bait.

As long as it isn't those car warranty folks that keep calling my cell phone, then I am ok.

I question the necessity of relocating a company of this size cross country.  That move must send an incredibly confusing message to the employees when ownership or senior leadership decide to move the organization out-of-state and then tell you "you're either on the bus or not." What about your house, schools, kids, family and everything else keeping you grounded back at home?  Equally confusing is calculating a move hoping your company will survive based on a given talent pool.  If you can sacrifice 60-70% of your loyal employees and just rehire their replacements in a new market, that to me sounds pretty cut throat.  If your business is struggling that much where you left, perhaps it's more about your business model than the place where you locate the business.

#102 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:38 PM

The language of "Deep Talent Pool" references "call center personnel, claims examiners, IT professionals, accountants"

In the press releases and the article North Richland Hills is referenced as "Dallas" 

As best I can tell, it seems to be some dual business of extended warranties and bed toppers of some kind.

I completely agree that from what I expect the majority of employee wage levels to be, majority relocation was probably not the case.

Although they say they have a 100 seat call center (of their 180 employees), call center is one of the top opportunities for remote work, so maybe they are doing some of that.

I expect there must have been some other reasons perhaps to do with taxation or some intangibles to generate the move, as much as local talent.

#103 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:44 AM

EastFWther I think we talked about it before but can I ask why you drive all the way to North Dallas everyday from FW instead of moving closer to your work?  I'm not sure how you do it.

I've worked in Dallas and the Dallas area for over 25 years and even now, the drive really doesn't bother me.  I know people who drive much further than I do.  Plus, even before the pandemic, I worked at least two days a week from home, so I wasn't driving to work everyday.  I have considered moving to the Plano area, because much to my surprise, I like it.  However, all these jobs out here have made the housing market extremely competitive and I've been outbid 4 times on a house.  So, I'm considering a very nice "retirement"  community in the area once I turn 55.  

#104 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:36 AM

I have considered moving to the Plano area, because much to my surprise, I like it. 

My son and daughter-in-law live in Plano. The density of cool restaurants is good but aside from that I wouldn't want to live there. Too much traffic, life is too fast.
My blog: Doohickie

#105 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:53 PM

I find it pretty frustrating that in North Texas, so many company management teams have been choosing to expand in suburban, purely auto-oriented environments such as Plano & Frisco. 

This is NOT the case everywhere in the US.  In similar cities to Fort Worth: Nashville and Charlotte, for example, the super hot locations for massive new office growth (and heavy shifts of corporate job relocations) are NOT in their soul-sucking suburban office park districts.  They are mostly in walkable, downtown-adjacent neighborhoods - very similar to our Near Southside and W 7th/Cultural District parts of town. 

I think this shows that this is totally possible here too. 

Reminder: these "corporate relocations" are not headline-grabbing wholesale HQ moves, but rather a process; 1) a smaller office established, 2) gradually a division here & there shift or get set up there, then 3) recently there have been increasing waves of roles & divisions shifting from more expensive, tax-heavy markets (Bay Area, NYC). 

How are these companies choosing these cities over others? 

One part: Often the companies poll employees in these other places (NYC, SF, Chicago, etc) asking "if we were to set up an office in one of these cities (A, B, C, D...) , which one(s) you consider relocating there?"  This is where the city's perceived quality of life - for these various individuals - totally matters.  Cities that have a reputation of appealing to a WIDE variety of people, especially well-educated ones, do really well in these.  Cities that have a reputation of only appealing to a few narrow segments of society don't even make the shortlist.  

Both of those cities (Charlotte & Nashville) seem to have overcome their old Southern baggage of being viewed as only offering good quality of life for Southern, white, straight conservatives.  I think overcoming this has been critical to their success in luring more corporate relocations (including shifts of jobs within companies).  

#106 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:10 AM

The quest for corporations to relocate anywhere is certainly not a zero-sum game, meaning the U.S. has a plenitude of small, medium-sized, and large businesses up for grabs.  It's not so much a question of Fort Worth getting it's "fair share."   I believe the strategy for Fort Worth or any other city is to acquire a sufficient number of new businesses to accommodate that city's growth rate.  Fort Worth has been experiencing a relatively high rate of growth.  That's because we have quality of life, a good traffic infrastructure, and workforce educational facilities.  So do a lot of other cities, so it's up to our city's promoters to be competitive.

Where within a city a corporation relocates depends on a variety of factors, including land availability.  Texas, particularly North Texas, has a lot of available land in proximity to traffic access via roads, rail, and airports.  So, it's no wonder that new corporate campuses in our area become spread out in suburban areas rather than in high-rise buildings downtown.   I've never been to Nashville so I don't know it's geography. 

Another, just as important, factor is urban planning and management, making sure a city has a good blend of industry, commerce, and residences.  I think Fort Worth is doing a good job maintaining industrial parks along the fringes, such as Alliance, Mark IV, Blue Mound to the north. for corporate headquarters and manufacturing/distribution plants.   But I wish we had more downtown high-rise office space for corporate tenants.

#107 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:13 AM

Although I don't believe in the magic of "if you build it, they will come", I'm certain if we don't have it, that can easily shift us lower down the list of business location options.  I think this is particularly true since we are not a stand-alone city, but part of a region, so lots of the checkboxes that our city checks are also checked by other areas in the region -- we have to match those and hopefully have something extra to push us higher on the list.

I feel like we kind of fall into a trap (it is an honorable trap) of primarily talking about the the city's base level needs for housing and education and safety -- and these are important things -- they will help enable a lot of people to get jobs.

But are we thinking in a balanced way about the full range of employers that we'd like to see in a city of our size?  It seems like our wins are often in warehousing / manufacturing / hospitality which often are not the top paying jobs.

Has the city projected itself as also wanting businesses with top paying jobs?  Do we have a path to high modern-amenity true class A office space? Do we have enough executive housing?  Do we have enough shopping and nightlife for this sector (this shows the most encouraging growth of things on this list).

If we are not ready to support the full range of businesses we'd like to locate here, and we mostly talk about things like affordable housing, being a laid-back city, getting our reading levels up (all meaningful things), we should not be surprised about the kinds of businesses that will locate here.

I'm not suggesting that we let go of those honorable things, but that somehow we in addition take steps to check the boxes to balance out the types of employers for a city of our size.  We have some difficult-to-quickly-replicate cultural assets as a city, with the great museums and the zoo and gardens.  And now some developments like Clearfork.  We need to build on these.

These days it is easy to get beat up for suggesting supporting the full range of things, rather than only those in the most need, but the truth is that we need the full range to have a thriving economy and share the tax burden and make a great city.

#108 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:24 AM

Texas Rising: Hedge Funds, Big Tech Drive Lone Star Wealth Boom

#109 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:13 AM

I guess Bloomberg doesn't think Fort Worth exists, since it calls Westlake a Dallas suburb (at least Wikipedia recognizes Westlake as a suburb of Fort Worth).

#110 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:06 PM

Christus Health broke ground on their new headquarters in Las Colinas (OConnor & 114) on Thursday 6/3/21:

https://www.globenew...as-Colinas.html

https://www.christus...rg/5101noconnor

#111 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:02 AM

Both of those cities (Charlotte & Nashville) seem to have overcome their old Southern baggage of being viewed as only offering good quality of life for Southern, white, straight conservatives.  I think overcoming this has been critical to their success in luring more corporate relocations (including shifts of jobs within companies).  

I think the city should do a case study on Lockheed Martin, which has a *very* diverse employee base, including levels up to VP, and use that to make a video highlighting Fort Worth's diversity.

#112 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 02:31 PM

Say what you will!  Blackstone PE and FW

Fort Worth Business Press - https://fortworthbus...rths-simpli-fi/

#113 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 03:19 PM

Say what you will!  Blackstone PE and FW

Fort Worth Business Press - https://fortworthbus...rths-simpli-fi/

Blackstone Group just bought QTS Realty Trust Inc at the beginning of June.  QTS is a major data center player in the US and has properties in Fort Worth and Irving among many others.

https://www.marketwa...lion-2021-06-07

Check out QTS's stock jump:

https://www.google.c...Q4dUDCA4&uact=5

TenkkDA.png

#114 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:36 AM

Huh, I had no idea there is an adtech business headquartered in Fort Worth.  And in the stockyards no less!

#115 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:52 AM

Huh, I had no idea there is an adtech business headquartered in Fort Worth.  And in the stockyards no less!

Its funny when folks say the western image hurts corporate attraction and retention, when one of the cities premier companies is based in its most western area.

#116 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:01 AM

Its funny when folks say the western image hurts corporate attraction and retention, when one of the cities premier companies is based in its most western area.

I love it.  Pacific Builders did the remodel.  And they have a shuffleboard table...jealous!

https://www.pbidfw.c...tudy/simpli-fi/

b09246124e024c88b502531fd69a506f_230x150

Simplifi_0147-scaled.jpg

Simplifi_0665-scaled.jpg

Simplifi_0467-scaled.jpg

Simplifi_0742-scaled.jpg

#117 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, say what you will!

#118 technicolorfrog

technicolorfrog

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:21 PM

I love it.  Pacific Builders did the remodel.  And they have a shuffleboard table...jealous!
https://www.pbidfw.c...tudy/simpli-fi/

I work here, and yes, its worth being jealous of! The designers, architects, and builders did an incredible job with this blank, albeit tricky, canvas.

#119 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:48 PM

Maybe the owners should give Pacific Builders a shot at remaking the Power Plant on Panther Island.

#120 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:37 PM

Maybe the owners should give Pacific Builders a shot at remaking the Power Plant on Panther Island.

Yes, you have my vote.

#121 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

I guess Bloomberg doesn't think Fort Worth exists, since it calls Westlake a Dallas suburb (at least Wikipedia recognizes Westlake as a suburb of Fort Worth).

write the journalist.  if you dont, they'll never know. 

#122 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

write the journalist.  if you dont, they'll never know. 

I'm almost certain that most journalist know by now.  The problem with journalists is that they are often very "loosey goosey" with facts.

#123 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:59 PM

The article is paywalled, but Business Insider has done a wrap up of potential places to lure relocations. 

https://www.bizjourn...fort-worth.html

I can briefly see BOA Tower, Burnett Plaza, 777 Main, 115 West 7th (Former Oncor tower), Binyon O'Keefe the Petroleum Building, 500 Taylor Street and Panther Island. 

#124 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:41 PM

DR Horton's new HQ in Arlington is 200k square feet.

The above article suggests that there is only one building in downtown Fort Worth that could accommodate a company needing as much space as DR Horton- the former Oncor Building.

Charles Schwab's new HQ is 1.1 million square feet. American Airlines' new HQ is 1.3 million square feet.

The above article suggests that there are no buildings in downtown Fort Worth that could accommodate a company needing only half as much space as either of these two companies.

-Dylan

#125 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:28 PM

Salt Lake City to Fort Worth

Fort Worth Business Press - https://fortworthbus...near-southside/

Say what you will!

#126 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 11:38 PM

Say what you will!

I will definitely take more architect firms for sure...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#127 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 06:17 AM

Say what you will!

I love to see it too.  And this creates how may jobs?  I'll take what we can get, but I'm waiting for something like the line of cars I passed this morning as the almost 7,000 workers return to work at the JP Morgan campus behind my office in Plano. 

#128 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

Say what you will!

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2021019617

Estimated Cost: $575,000
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: Tenant improvement project in existing warehouse building to convert 2 leased spaces into a single office space. Existing mezzanine, interior walls, mechanical and electrical systems to be demolished for new upgraded systems.
Square Footage: 4,544 ft 2

#129 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 12:22 PM

That's cool news. They've been active here for some time out of an office over near East Loop 820. I particularly like their work on the Texas Native Plants Boardwalk at the Botanic Garden. http://www.gsbsarchi...s.com/landtexas

#130 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 13 July 2021 - 12:23 PM

Say what you will!

I love to see it too.  And this creates how may jobs?  I'll take what we can get, but I'm waiting for something like the line of cars I passed this morning as the almost 7,000 workers return to work at the JP Morgan campus behind my office in Plano. 

I don't think this is going to produce a line of 7,000 cars.   

#131 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 02:40 PM

That's cool news. They've been active here for some time out of an office over near East Loop 820. I particularly like their work on the Texas Native Plants Boardwalk at the Botanic Garden. http://www.gsbsarchi...s.com/landtexas

They evidently handled the (IMO) excellent Rock Springs project as well at the Botanic Gardens...

http://www.gsbsarchi...om/rock-springs

#132 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

Say what you will!

I don't think this is going to produce a line of 7,000 cars.   

Not unless they all decide to go to Chick-fil-A for lunch at the same time.  7,000 is actually not too far off.

https://www.beckgrou...jpmorgan-chase/

https://officesnapsh...quarters-plano/

https://www.planotex...gional-campus-i

I took this photo back in early 2017 during phase 1 of construction showing one of the garages and how massive they are to hold parking for 6,500.  Liberty Mutual across the tollway has an absolutely gigantic garage too.  These campuses have so many employees I think they ask them to stagger their arrival and departure times for so they don't overwhelm the surrounding roads.  Makes sense some people like to start early / leave early and other like to get a later start and finish.

11zlDhn.jpg

dxASd8s.jpg

cYW8bwI.jpg

HaKWUKj.jpg

#133 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:27 PM

Never let a positive story in regard to FW go with out being hijacked.

Ah ha..The Troll!

#134 technicolorfrog

technicolorfrog

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:44 PM

Schumacher Electric Corporation, maker of battery chargers, moving HQ to Fort Worth from Chicago. Currently a 150-person workforce with plans to add 100 more:

https://www.dallasne...o-add-100-jobs/

#135 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:02 PM

Schumacher Electric Corporation, maker of battery chargers, moving HQ to Fort Worth from Chicago. Currently a 150-person workforce with plans to add 100 more:

Good news but somewhat disappointing that it is in the part of Fort Worth that really isn't Fort Worth imo.

#136 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:58 PM

DR Horton's new HQ in Arlington is 200k square feet.

The above article suggests that there is only one building in downtown Fort Worth that could accommodate a company needing as much space as DR Horton- the former Oncor Building.

Charles Schwab's new HQ is 1.1 million square feet. American Airlines' new HQ is 1.3 million square feet.

The above article suggests that there are no buildings in downtown Fort Worth that could accommodate a company needing only half as much space as either of these two companies.

Remember, neither Schwab nor DR Horton HQs were existing office buildings.  Both were built for those companies.  The same opportunity exists in Downtown Fort Worth if a company commits to lease or own the building. 

#137 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 04:56 PM

The biggest building in downtown is Burnett Plaza and it has just over 1 million sqft, so something that big in downtown would be significant. If Scwab would have built downtown it would've been massive. 

#138 GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:46 PM

I think a somewhat close example to redevelop the former Butler Housing site for a high rise and corporate relocation. Is Dallas Reunion tower and Hotel. I did not say exact. But that land that Reunion sits on is between a massive freeway system and a active freight rail line. That could of been dismissed as useless land. Good for only city maintenance garage and parking lot. And a place to keep piles of sand for icy weather. But no, some people in Dallas saw something most other cities would not. And now I can't imagine Dallas without Reunion tower !  

I don't hold my breath that will happen in my lifetime. All I'm saying Butler place could be a part of downtown Fort Worth as remote and seemingly isolated as it is. And if they can engineer a system that ties it more proper with central business district ? Great. But if not I still think it could be a major home for a corporation. But I think another so called temporary drive in movie theater type business for the next 30 years will move in. lol  

#139 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:44 AM

Good news but somewhat disappointing that it is in the part of Fort Worth that really isn't Fort Worth imo.

Schumacher's building is at 14200 FAA Boulevard, which is roughly a mile west of Amon Carter Boulevard, which is definitely in Fort Worth.

#140 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

The biggest building in downtown is Burnett Plaza and it has just over 1 million sqft, so something that big in downtown would be significant. If Scwab would have built downtown it would've been massive. 

Agreed.  Schwab, if im not mistaken, exclusively builds suburban campuses for its regional offices (which is what the one here was before exec team announce moving there). 

#141 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:52 AM

I think a somewhat close example to redevelop the former Butler Housing site for a high rise and corporate relocation. Is Dallas Reunion tower and Hotel. I did not say exact. But that land that Reunion sits on is between a massive freeway system and a active freight rail line. That could of been dismissed as useless land. Good for only city maintenance garage and parking lot. And a place to keep piles of sand for icy weather. But no, some people in Dallas saw something most other cities would not. And now I can't imagine Dallas without Reunion tower !  

I don't hold my breath that will happen in my lifetime. All I'm saying Butler place could be a part of downtown Fort Worth as remote and seemingly isolated as it is. And if they can engineer a system that ties it more proper with central business district ? Great. But if not I still think it could be a major home for a corporation. But I think another so called temporary drive in movie theater type business for the next 30 years will move in. lol  

You're right in that its hard to find a big, contiguous block of land in an urban center that could accommodate a large single (or multiple masterplanned) use(s) . 

Butler place's current challenge is its totally isolated by freeway designs which could be overcome, just with a lot of expense and some time.  usually TxDOT will invest in things like ramp changes if there are big job growth numbers associated with it (im told). 

Another thought : if the Olympics or some other major national/international opportunity came to NTX, what sites could we offer for a stadium?  Would this be a place we'd want to have in our "pocket" as a candidate for that with some interim uses?  Either way, we need a plan to connect it so it can be done faster when opportunity presents itself. 

#142 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:23 PM

73013055.jpg

#143 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:47 PM

73013055.jpg

?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#144 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:38 PM

Not sure if this is related, but this is in next weeks City Council work session agenda.

Presentation on Proposed Economic Development Program Agreement with Rivian Automotive, LLC or an Affiliate - Robert Sturns, Economic Development

Rivian is an electric car maker.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivian

#145 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:20 PM

Not sure if this is related, but this is in next weeks City Council work session agenda.

Presentation on Proposed Economic Development Program Agreement with Rivian Automotive, LLC or an Affiliate - Robert Sturns, Economic Development

Amazon EVs?

https://dallasinnova...ith-rivian-evs/

#146 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:45 PM

My prediction is that any electric car maker that has technological advantages will be snapped up by Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.  Tesla has a funky looking pickup truck proposed, but Ford will be in mass production with theirs by next year.  Tesla will never sell pickups in mass quantities but they may sell key technologies or components to "real" automakers.

#147 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:40 AM

My prediction is that any electric car maker that has technological advantages will be snapped up by Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.  Tesla has a funky looking pickup truck proposed, but Ford will be in mass production with theirs by next year.  Tesla will never sell pickups in mass quantities but they may sell key technologies or components to "real" automakers.
They already have over 1,000,000 reservations for the cyber truck and in a big rush to build the factory in Austin. Do you predict the initial inrush of interest in Tesla will eventually fade where Ford / Chevy loyalists will remain steady? It is a very abstract design. I compare it to someone at the office one day showing up with a really artistic looking pair of glasses. You need to own that stylistic decision. A lot of people dont like all that attention-seeking behavior with such a flashy vehicle or where you think youll be the only one with that truck and then you start seeing them everywhere the novelty wears off. I actually know guys that are quite successful and prefer driving a higher-end Ford or Chevy pickup for the fact that it isnt flashy or attention-seeking. Mind you it is still an $80k+ purchase but it isnt as blatant as say a red sports car or cyber truck. Theres also some element of luxury like with King Ranch Ford pu that goes beyond I think the starkness of what cybertruck offers.

https://electrek.co/...-pickup-trucks/

#148 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:34 AM

EJ Lauren Upholstery expands to Fort Worth South Majestic Business Park adding 140 jobs:

https://fortworthbus...nging-140-jobs/

http://www.ejlauren.com/

#149 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:02 PM

Long story short, Rivian is seeking to build a second factory in the U.S., Walsh ranch is location that the city is offering. It would be absolutely massive (200 acres and 12M sqft!) City would offer space in new City Hall for office space as well. 

WN4YqTy.png

5elZvT1.png

D0uA0hP.png

#150 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:24 PM

Great find!!

It actually says 2,000 Acres but 12M SQFT, thats insane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users