254 replies to this topic

#101 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:03 PM

This looks like the closest thing we have to a Ridgmar thread. More bad news, but the owner sounds optimistic about a future re-thinking of the mall:

http://www.star-tele...le53196220.html

#102 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

This doesn't surprise me.  Earlier in the fall, I needed to go to JCPenney to get something that I normally purchase there, and they didn't have it.  I thought I would check Macy's and the store was completely dead.  Then, on one of the rainy weekends in November, I was going stir crazy because I couldn't walk the dogs or ride bicycles, so I went to Hulen Mall just to walk around.  The Macy's store there was busy.

To me, this is an even better chance to revitalize the mall.  However, I would hate for them to tear down the Macy's store, since it is one of the newer buildings in the mall.  If you remember, the old Stripling and Cox store was converted into mall space after it closed, and then it was eventually demolished to build the Foley's (later Macy's) store.  Stripling's building was one of the original department stores constructed with the mall, along with Dillard's and JCPenney.  Neiman Marcus was slated to be an original tenant, but there were startup and construction delays, so it was not ready to open when the mall did, but it followed with it's opening fairly quickly.  The Sears space was left open for about a year, and then they finally committed.  Ridgmar opened in the fall of 1976.

With the new residential developments further west, this might be a great opportunity for them to re-position themselves.

Also, maybe we should just rename this thread Ridgmar Mall.

#103 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

A similar report in the Fort Worth Business Press (by A. Lee Graham) may provide additional information.

http://www.fortworth...088c89cd28.html

The above article refers to plans to renovate for a "mixed-use" project.  I recall reading a post here about project design trends away from the traditional mall and towards the mixed-use model.

#104 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

None of us search this forum very well. There is a Ridgmar Mall thread and the last item of discussion is the new H&M store.

#105 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, I did a search and still didn't find it.

#106 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

Please don't let it go the way of our other metro dead malls...  North Hills Mall, Six Flags Mall, Forum 303, Irving Mall. Prestonwood, Valley View Center...  I am sure I missing some others. 

Some area malls are still still successful such as NorthPark, Northeast Mall, Hulen Mall...

Teetering on the brink are Galleria Dallas, Collin Creek, Vista Ridge, Parks at Arlington (They could go either way).

I am not familiar with Stonebriar, or Willow bend but check this out... 

http://deadmalls.com/stories.html#TX

#107 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

I merged the old Ridgmar Mall thread with the one about Neiman Marcus leaving.  They are now one.

#108 jsfslls

jsfslls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

I'd say the Parks Mall is still really popular. WIth all of the growth happening off of I20 near it, as well as the growth going down 360 all the way to Mansfield, the mall stays packed all the time.

From my perspective, I'd easily say it's much more successful than Hulen Mall. There are many things I can find at Parks Mall that I can't find at the Hulen Mall. There were actually a couple of quality things I found at Parks that I couldn't find at Northpark as well.

#109 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

http://www.star-tele...le53598115.html

S-T editorial on the future of Ridgmar. I remember mentioning in some thread or another over the last year that the growth on the west side and Walsh Ranch make it hard to throw any dirt on the mall's grave just yet.

I agree that the Parks Mall is far from teetering on the brink of anything. The development around it is more spread out than it was 20 years ago, but it was hopping on my last trip there.

#110 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

There are a ton of obsolete malls across the country getting re-purposed for other uses. 

One example is Highland Mall in Austin - bought I think by Austin Community College for use as... community college.

Ridgmar has a lot of land to work with.  If they can assemble some more of the boxes and satellite buildings they'll have even more options in terms of master planning.

#111 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Macy's and Neiman's leaving Ridgmar makes the news in this WSJ article.

#112 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

Well, that's one way for Fort Worth to make national news.

-Dylan

#113 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Dillard's is converting their Ridgmar store into a "clearance center" 

LINK

#114 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

So that will leave John L. Ashe as the only "high end" clothing store option in Ridgmar?

I have found some incredible deals at Dillard's clearance center in Arlington.

Adrian

#115 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

Maybe they can turn Ridgmar into a Grapevine Mills type Mall.

#116 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

They need to tear the place up be removing some store space to make it more open air and friendly.  

#117 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Honestly, I think a metro area can only have ONE kind of mall like that. 

As for Ridgmar, I'm all in favor of ripping the whole thing up and reusing it as mixed-use apartments, some retail, and maybe even gutting out those big boxes (except the Rave Theater) and using them as some kind of entertainment/convention building. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#118 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

As someone not as familiar with the Grapevine area and who has never been to that mall, what 'type' is it?

#119 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Mostly (but not all) outlet stores with several entertainment attractions. Rainforest Café, an AMC theater that's been partially converted to a movie tavern, Sea Life Aquarium, Lego Discovery Center, Lunar Mini Golf, a carousel. The Stars Center closed awhile back and a Round One is going in. It's a Main Event/Dave and Busters type facility (which is ironic because a similar establishment was removed for the aquarium). Much of the interior of the mall is being or has been renovated.

#120 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

As someone not as familiar with the Grapevine area and who has never been to that mall, what 'type' is it?

It's basically a "Super-sized" 1 story mall. 

5211.gif

3674512453_6326294e83_b.jpg

I was there when it first opened in '97. 

7fwPZnE.png

#121 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'd say the Parks Mall is still really popular. WIth all of the growth happening off of I20 near it, as well as the growth going down 360 all the way to Mansfield, the mall stays packed all the time.

From my perspective, I'd easily say it's much more successful than Hulen Mall. There are many things I can find at Parks Mall that I can't find at the Hulen Mall. There were actually a couple of quality things I found at Parks that I couldn't find at Northpark as well.

I live fairly close to the Parks Mall (don't hate) and it does indeed stay busy. So busy that we drive to Ridgmar to do a lot of our birthday and Christmas shopping because the parking lots and stores are a lot less crowded. That may not be something the mall owners would be excited to hear.

I think the Parks and the Highlands may be feeding off of each other a bit.

#122 bgh01

bgh01

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

I was walking around Ridgmar last weekend, and it is looking worse than ever. The only business that seems to be doing reasonably well is the movie theater.  Macy's is gone, and to the best of my knowledge, Neiman's is still going. While articles from earlier this year claim that Dillard's is becoming a clearance store, it looked as though they were in the middle of a going out of business sale. The bottom floor is closed off, and the top floor was pretty sparse. Signs all over declaring that "All sales are final". Sears had large open spaces all over the store combined with lots of sales. Penneys had large clearance sections, and an entire section was roped off near the escalator with nothing in it and no visible reasons why.

Many of the escalators throughout the mall were turned off and customers were noticing; I overheard a girl saying "Why aren't any of the freaking stairs working?"

I wonder how long it will continue....

#123 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

What a slow and painful death. They should just bulldoze Ridgmar and turn it into tract houses. It's just as depressing but serves more of a purpose.

#124 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

Yeah that mall is dead and the sooner it dies off the better for FW.  It than can then ne replaced with something that actually works.

The only reason I go over there is for Dagwoods for the Reuben sandwich and the beer selections.  The place isn't actually in the mall but on the shopping perimeter. 

#125 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

I have what is probably a stupid question, and also admit to no knowledge of economics.

I attended Weatherford Junior College in 1972-1974.  The mall was already there, although I think some building continued to occur.  So the mall is almost if not in fact 50 some odd years old.

Would the cost of the property and construction already be paid off, or would destruction of the mall be a loss that could only be recovered by smart rebuilding of a new structure.  

And could changing this into a housing development instead of an independent business structure do anything to prevent a huge financial loss?

#126 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

Dagwoods IS good, isnt' it?

I'll add to that.  Woody Creek BBQ is in the same building as Dagwoods and I like it too.

As for Ridgmar - H&M and the theater are worthwhile but it is just depressing to walk through a mall that is so empty.

Now that H&M is open Downtown, I suspect I'll be hitting that store more often than Ridgmar. 

Maybe Ridgmar could become a big tree farm (was it part of the old pecan orchards back in the day??   

#127 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

I like both Dagwood's and Woody Creek. 

The mall opened in the fall of 1976.  It was Fort Worth's first enclosed mall.  Unfortunately, I can't remember when they started construction.  As a guess, I would say they started grading the site in early 1975.  It opened with JCPenney, Dillard's, and Stripling's.  Neiman Marcus followed close behind in 1977.  Sears opened after Neiman's, but according to historicaerials.com, it was there in 1979. 

Sometimes malls don't last very long.  Prestonwood Town Center in Dallas was built in the 1979 and it closed in 2000.  It was completely torn down by 2004.

#128 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

It seems this could be a prime spot for an urban-type TOD. There is still the vacated rail line running north and south across the west of the property and heading NW toward White Settlement Road. Given some finagling that transit ROW could cut through the development south of I-20, and given some planning could serve the future dense development east of Lake Benbrook. This could also be the location of a future transit line going west to the Walsh Ranch area; the developers wrote somewhere their planning considerations included future transit.

The site itself is about 1/4 the size of Downtown strictly defined. Replacing the meandering ring road with a street grid and to-the-sidewalk mixed-use buildings including apartments and condos above the retail and offices would complete the picture. There is probably a height restriction due to the aircraft operations at the JRB but there might be less of one closer to the eastern perimeter; since the whole site is in a hole (used to be a lake, right?) several stories in all areas are probably allowed (5-6?) Residents could have access to Boaz Park via a pedestrian/bike bridge across I-30. Probably the biggest barrier to living there would be the aircraft noise. Construction quality sufficient to dampen it would likely be expensive, but location, location, location!

#129 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

Austin's Mueller development would be a great precedent for what to do with the site.

#130 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Six Flags mall is going to be torn down. Sounds like it will be replaced by a warehouse park. 

http://www.arlington...-six-flags-mall

#131 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

Here's an article in Fort Worth Business about how the closings of Macy's stores may affect shopping malls.

http://www.fortworth...b83d5180aa.html

#132 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

I walked around Ridgmar today... 

That mall is as good as dead. 

7fwPZnE.png

#133 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

The mall opened in the fall of 1976.  It was Fort Worth's first enclosed mall.  Unfortunately, I can't remember when they started construction.  As a guess, I would say they started grading the site in early 1975.  It opened with JCPenney, Dillard's, and Stripling's.  Neiman Marcus followed close behind in 1977.  Sears opened after Neiman's, but according to historicaerials.com, it was there in 1979. 

Sometimes malls don't last very long.  Prestonwood Town Center in Dallas was built in the 1979 and it closed in 2000.  It was completely torn down by 2004.

In the grand scheme of things, 40 years is a pretty lengthy run for a retail center to still be functioning with the same purpose and mix of stores as when it opened. 

For example, consider the grocery store anchored shopping centers that were built in virtually every part of town during the 1960s through the mid 1970s.   Most of them were obsolete in terms of their original conception by the end of the 1980s.  The whole premise of such centers was that the tenants would draw from the traffic generated by people doing their weekly grocery shopping. But starting in the late 1970s grocery chains were forced to upgrade into supersized food-drug combo stores in order to remain competitive.  When the grocery stores moved out the shopping centers immediately went into decline - and, eventually, it got to the point where most of the non-grocery retailers in such centers became obsolete with the advent of big box stores.  

Many of those vintage shopping centers are still in use - but they mostly cater to businesses that need low rent and are not dependent upon drive-by/walk-by traffic.    The only ones you usually see still with the same sort of tenants as when they opened are in affluent areas of the central city where real estate for new retail development is cost prohibitive.  For example, at Preston and Royal in Dallas there are two 1960s shopping centers still going strong - one with a Tom Thumb the other with a small Central Market.  Indeed, the Central Market has brought things full circle:  the previous tenant was a Borders which had gone into a former Safeway building.  When Central Market converted the space back to a grocery store they discovered underneath the fake ceiling the original arched beams that were one of Safeway's 1960s architectural trademarks and incorporated them into the current store. (worth checking out if you are in the area as they give the store a nice retro sort of feel). But centers like those are the exception - in places such as the suburbs where there was room for new development such shopping centers have long since declined.

Ironically, things have come back in full circle in a different sort of way:  those old 1960 and early 1970s grocery stores which were obsolete by the 1980s due to their small size are approximately the same size as the Aldi, Trader Joe's and Sprouts that are now considered to be grocery trend setters. But, nevertheless, most of those surviving neighborhood shopping center are still obsolete because they are in locations that are no longer considered desirable in terms of traffic.

Also consider the big box stores that were in existence in our area when Ridgmar opened:  Kmart, Target, Woolco and Gibsons.  Only Target remains in business in the area and, to the best of my knowledge, the last 1970s era Target in our area closed a few years back.  Walmart did not enter the Metroplex until the mid 1980s and I am not aware of any 1980s or even 1990s Walmarts that haven't either been relocated or reconstructed into Supercenters.

Chain stores and mass market retail did not really begin to evolve until the decades after the Civil War.   If you take any 40 year period of retail history since then you will see dramatic and radical change - and that is even when you include the 20 year period between 1930 and 1950 when many things were more or less frozen in place due to the Depression and then World War II and the period of economic adjustment immediately following the war.

So, all things considered, Ridgmar has had a good run to have lasted as long as it has.  And this is certainly not the first time that the way people do their shopping and the retail industry itself has gone through a period of radical change.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#134 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Mall owner purchases the Neiman Marcus space:

http://www.star-tele...e105646776.html

#135 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:22 PM

Well this thread has been nothing but bad news for the past several months, with ideas of what to do with the mall tossed around. It looks like the mall has looked into ways to turn itself around, which seem to plan on tearing down the southern half of the mall and replacing it with mixed-use midrise buildings surrounding a central open space. InPlace design has shared this proposal. 

A proposed re-positioning of Ridgmar Mall, a traditional enclosed shopping mall. The redevelopment and expansion will include a mixture of retail, restaurants, and residential living in an open air environment with an urban streetscape. A central park serves as the major organizing green space and the primary entertainment venue.

lW90YxT.jpg

jVRRzHB.jpg

4kgcyIS.jpg

sdILIwb.jpg

x1eOZQm.jpg

#136 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

I like the buildings themselves, but the whole thing seems awash in a sea of parking spaces.  To really feel "urban" I think there should be a parking garage or two for that development, and the rest of the land redeveloped, maybe into condos or something.

My blog: Doohickie

#137 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:27 AM

It does appear there is a garage on the east side. I would agree with that though. I think this would be an ideal "phase 1" of a total restart of the land the mall sits on. Having the park be a true central part of an entire dense neighborhood could make a great setting.

#138 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

I assume Dillard's, JC Penney and Sears are on board?

Also, forgive me if I'm looking at this wrong - does this new plan still involve the movie theater?

#139 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

It looks like the theater stays- it's just to the left of JCP in the second and third images.

#140 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

First of all, I think that in order to save the mall, this is something that has to be done, and it could be a good "Phase 1" or beginning.   From the site plan, JCPenney, Dillard's, and Sears remain. However, one must consider that Sears is in deep trouble and the Dillard's has already been converted into a clearance center.  I'm really being pessimistic here, but it could very well end up that JCPenney is the only department store anchor left.  The theater is also shown to remain.  Doohickie has correctly identified its location.

#141 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:12 PM

What I see: a few urban buildings in a suburban setting. Meh.

That said, this plan would be much better than keeping an abandoned department store.

-Dylan

#142 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:05 PM

I have to wonder if noise is an issue for with this? Being so close to the landing approach of the JRB it seems office and residences might take issue. 

#143 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

There's some pretty high-end residential adjacent to the mall.  So I don't think that will be an issue.

#144 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

I am very excited for the direction Ridgemar is going. However, I do share the same concern as many of you do with the vast amount of surface parking lots surrounding this development. I can't imagine living in a residence where I look out at all the cars as my view. SO of course I have some thoughts to share :wink:.

How about if the properties on the corner of Green Oaks Blvd and I-30 were demolished for additional Multi-Family (plus Retail space?) and then the surface lots between the mall and the MF property was converted to a green space. The people living in these units are going to have pets and the city is pushing a healthier lifestyle so it only makes sense to me to bring these amenities into the redesign of a concrete wasteland.

There is so much land her the development could even put in a jogging/walking trail for residents.

#145 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

I think there's enough asphalt that demolishing those buildings isn't necessary; just put the multi-use in some of the empty parking lot space.  I do like the idea of more green space.  I know the anchor stores and theater will likely want to retain some surface parking on the north end of the center, but I think there should be some residential development extending eastward from the south end of the truncated mall (the "junior anchors" just south of Sears) out to Green Oaks so it feels more like a contiguous neighborhood (connected somewhat with the residential east of Green Oaks).

I'd like to see a jogging trail/multi-use path loop around the whole thing, that would connect with a rails-to-trails conversion of the Bomber Spur.  Some of the old rail infrastructure is still there (old leveled track beds, abutments for bridges, etc.)  A bit off topic, but there used to be a rail bridge over Camp Bowie right by the traffic circle that's been torn down.  The abutments might still be there.  I rode my bike over that bridge several years ago, it was a great piece of infrastructure that could have been used for a bike/pedestrian trail.

#146 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

I think there's enough asphalt that demolishing those buildings isn't necessary; just put the multi-use in some of the empty parking lot space.  I do like the idea of more green space.  I know the anchor stores and theater will likely want to retain some surface parking on the north end of the center, but I think there should be some residential development extending eastward from the south end of the truncated mall (the "junior anchors" just south of Sears) out to Green Oaks so it feels more like a contiguous neighborhood (connected somewhat with the residential east of Green Oaks).

I'd like to see a jogging trail/multi-use path loop around the whole thing, that would connect with a rails-to-trails conversion of the Bomber Spur.

I agree that you could put MF any where on the property, I just favor demoing the buildings on that corner because IMO they are an eyesore and it would improve the visual impact as you enter the mall area from that direction.

#147 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Good point.

(I mean, really.... you don't like ca 1976 retail architecture????  :no: )

#148 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

That corner area wasn't built until 1979 or 1980.  Historicaerials.com shows it under construction in 1979. 

#149 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

All that tells me is they were following already failing design trends.

#150 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:52 PM

I'm really being pessimistic here, but it could very well end up that JCPenney is the only department store anchor left.  

Just more opportunities to do something different, as far as I see.

7fwPZnE.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Westside, Malls, Shopping, Ridgmar Mall, Redevelopment, Shopping Mall, Ridgmar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users