Photo
- - - - -

Van Zandt mixed-use project (2816 West 7th)

Cultural District

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#51 fortworth81

fortworth81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 02:21 PM

I spoke with Enterprise this morning while picking up a car and the gentleman working the desk told me they had sold the lot when I asked.  He said they were leasing it back.  He didn't know any further details on who bought it or where they would locate, but sounded like they wanted to relocate somewhere very close.

#52 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 09:08 PM

Renderings of the expanded project via WFAA's new video (and h/t to TXBornViking)

Vsyd7NX.jpg

DsmITnV.jpg

ce6ZaDO.jpg

RH09IYJ.jpg

• TLA likes this

#53 fortworth81

fortworth81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:47 AM

Thanks Austin for the update.

I've noticed the bank is still in these updated plans and still dictates a large part of the constraints in the design.  But it's my understanding they own that lot as well, is that correct?

I did prefer on the original concept the parking levels had the panel designs covering the garage.  What's everyone's thoughts on that?

This design looks like it will fit in well with the building directly across from it.  Everything is much more squared off in the newer design.  Almost a brother and sister style approach. 

I really like what they are trying to bring along University.

#54 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:10 AM

I did prefer on the original concept the parking levels had the panel designs covering the garage.  What's everyone's thoughts on that?

I think the garage would look better with at least half-height panels hiding the cars' noses. 

Is this the new footprint, approximately?

RhEbudB.png

#55 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:55 AM

I do agree with you about the orginal concept.  It looked much more unique and modern.  This one looks a bit more bland tbh but it is adding some new development to the north side of W 7th which I am a fan of.  Being able to see the cars from 7th street looks like a lazy and cost cutting design.  The rendering looks shorter and less imposing as well which is a bit disappointing.

#56 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 04 March 2023 - 12:37 AM

This was one of my favorite projects being developed in a while. Something about the original just hit a home run in my mind. The second one with the screens, mmmm, ok, I still really like it but not as much. Now, it has about nothing more than just another glass box to me and the vertical piece reminds me of an auto grille on an old car. But then again, what do I know, maybe that's what they were going for!

#57 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 02:48 PM

Anyone know the timeline on this building?

#58 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 11:43 PM

I think the garage would look better with at least half-height panels hiding the cars' noses. 

Is this the new footprint, approximately?

RhEbudB.png

Looking back at this... you think SNAP Kitchen will take over the Enterprise, or will it have to find another block?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#59 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 07 March 2023 - 11:04 AM

Looking back at this... you think SNAP Kitchen will take over the Enterprise, or will it have to find another block?

It would be interesting if Snap Kitchen could secure a retail space in the new building although that probably would not happen

#60 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 01:05 PM

1) The garage floors should absoultely be visually screened.  Also, if they're able to push the garage floors back even a few inches from 7th street, will make retail feel less overwhelmed.  Something is off with the retail presence on 7th St.   I fear that won't go well. 

2) the west facing wall should have a design at a minimum a mural.  Blank walls are a no-no. 

3) the windows in the apartment/multifamily building are really small and should be larger.  I know that is a major expense but larger windows should also directly impact rents (positively) and as shown, the small windows give the residential portion a cheap hotel vibe which I dont think helps them. 

QUESTION:  Where will the developer have to run the utilities that currently go through the alley?  I assume a sewer and Oncor electric run through that alley. 

What kind of solution does Oncor require?

City of FW for its sewer?  

#61 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 09 March 2023 - 10:02 AM

1) The garage floors should absoultely be visually screened.  Also, if they're able to push the garage floors back even a few inches from 7th street, will make retail feel less overwhelmed.  Something is off with the retail presence on 7th St.   I fear that won't go well. 

2) the west facing wall should have a design at a minimum a mural.  Blank walls are a no-no. 

3) the windows in the apartment/multifamily building are really small and should be larger.  I know that is a major expense but larger windows should also directly impact rents (positively) and as shown, the small windows give the residential portion a cheap hotel vibe which I dont think helps them. 

QUESTION:  Where will the developer have to run the utilities that currently go through the alley?  I assume a sewer and Oncor electric run through that alley. 

What kind of solution does Oncor require?

City of FW for its sewer?  

1. Totally agree, normally I wouldn't think much either way but I do believe you have to fit your surroundings and this is a pretty high profile area to not screen the garage. Granted there is some cost but in the grand scheme of things it is negligible.

2. No feelings on this one.

3. Completely agree. Some could be constraints on the room it is in and the layouts but I am a fan of go as large as you can on windows. They could have done something more like the windows in the offices as shown on the west side at least. 

On the utilities driving down the alley on google it looks like most of that is TV and phones which are usually not hard to relocate and a lot of what's there was for feeding the buildings there and would just be trashed. Power looks much the same, it looks like a couplie of drops from pole transformers to feed the buildings and you just abandon them. There was a Big Pad Mounted Transformer on 6th behind Snap and similar, you coordinate with your Oncor Rep and just relocate. These are a bit more of a pain because at some point you have to shut down and change over but we usually as art of that coordination find out who else may be on the transformer and give everyone a heads up so people can plan, it usually only takes a couple. Water and sewer will most likely come of 6th and 7th if anything in the alley it gets ripped our or some abandon in place. I only see one Manhole cover but can't see what the lid says. 

#62 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 11:33 PM

Snap Kitchen relocation:
https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023016441

Yep, right across the street... (well, almost)

7fwPZnE.png

#63 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 04:49 PM

Now leasing: https://www.loopnet....th-TX/24769972/

#64 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 08:39 PM

Now leasing: https://www.loopnet....th-TX/24769972/

Pretty cool looking PDF sales packet in your link: https://www.loopnet....%20Brochure.pdf

It's nice, but it's also outdated. 

7fwPZnE.png

#65 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, the dates in the PDF are clearly too optimistic, and even the live loopnet webpage states that most of the leased retail and office will be available in April 2024. If they started turning dirt tomorrow could they get the building finished in 11 months?

#66 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 09:09 PM

YsMVcDV.jpg

#67 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 09:45 PM

It's going to be good to see this one get out of the ground. West 7th is going to feel more like a legit urban street once there is a continuous street wall effect the whole length.

#68 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 11:40 AM

It's going to be good to see this one get out of the ground. West 7th is going to feel more like a legit urban street once there is a continuous street wall effect the whole length.

And even more so as the blocks to the north get redeveloped and infilled.  Now all we need is for University north of W7th to get some of these developments and a road diet for the whole area to feel cohesive

#69 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:42 PM

I think we may be starting to see some movement on this soon.  It is completely surrounded with privacy fencing with the name of the project and Goldenrod Properties on it.  I don't think they would do that if things weren't moving ahead soon.  Maybe sometime next month.

#70 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:44 AM

The site as of this weekend.

kMIlTQc.jpg

#71 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:01 AM

Austin, ss I was looking at the Goldenrod link you included on one of your recent posts on "The Mullet" thread the project had a small blurb about the project breaking ground at the end of 2023.   There was no mention of a start date on the Mullet though.

#72 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 06:45 AM

I took some screen grabs from the 10/10/23 council work session Goldenrod presentation: https://fortworthgov...a5ac26b23e3190c

Interesting line item below says van Zandt grading is underway to support forward progress but vertical dev is not feasible without incentives.

Got curious about this and watched the entire presentation, starting around timestamp 2:51:30. Pretty interesting! It's nice that the city is in a position to step in as lender of last resort when these developers can't get private financing. I hope they approve it at their session next week.

#73 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 02:05 PM

Sorry to keep revisiting this but there's some lingering questions I was thinking about:

• Why is Goldenrod just now seeking incentives from the city? 
  • Is there some kind of triple play deal making going on?  The timing of this incentives discussion with city council seems peculiar one day before the arts center presentation.  
  • If Goldenrod doesn't get the Arts Center project, will their feelings get hurt and will that have any impact on what they do with Mullet or Van Zandt...basically, how much "guilt marketing" is going on behind the scenes?

• My guess is that they're seeking incentives now because private sector credit has recently become so expensive that the projects are unprofitable without cheaper public sector credit.
  • My guess is that Goldenrod would love to score a triple play, in the sense that it's more efficient (i.e., cheaper) for them to build three projects in town than two. Greater operating leverage through a local headquarters, re-use and sharing of a known labor pool, etc., etc. Could Goldenrod be pressuring the city through non-coincidental timing of the incentives demands and the art center proposal? Sure, anything's possible. Could just be a coincidence too though!
  • Looking over Goldenrod's C-suite and recalling my impressions of President Zogg from the arts center presentation (links to his introduction at 1:06), I'm guessing this isn't an emotional team. Their business looks too mature to let its collective feelings get in the way of a profitable deal, whether that involves three projects or only two.

#74 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 06:38 PM

Here is the M&C: https://fortworthgov...DE-FC6F6419AE4F

#75 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:51 PM

Incentives were approved.

#76 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 11:50 PM

"All portions of the Van Zandt that are intended to be occupied must have a temporary or final Certificate of Occupancy by December 31,

2026 (Van Zandt Completion Deadline)."

So technically, could they build the just the core & shell space by this deadline but not necessarily have any or all of it leased and finished out?

If they require CO or TCO on the entire building that means the lease spaces, not just the core and shell.  

#77 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 16 December 2023 - 04:08 PM

Some new renderings on the architect's site: https://hollandbasha...se-development/

trtmf5o.jpg

DhveBO8.jpg

bGwMNl9.jpg

LEmkC9O.jpg

#78 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 16 December 2023 - 04:14 PM

That's a nice looking project and it is only going to further the urban feel of that stretch of 7th.

#79 fortworth81

fortworth81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 01:01 PM

I have noticed for the last two weeks they have been doing a lot of ground work on the Mullet on University. Removing all the concrete pads from what I can gather, and leveling the area. Dump trumps have been coming and going non stop. I assume they will want to work on both projects concurrently.

#80 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 12:35 PM

Hit TDLR today: https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2024007959

$110 million, scheduled start in April. 

#81 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 02:32 PM

I'm sure it will be April-ish

#82 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 04:05 PM

Infrastructure work starting next week, which will impact West 7th: https://www.fortwort...-street-closure

#83 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:22 PM

I mean, as long as it happens. That stretch of West 7th won't live up to its potential without more people around.

#84 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 10:00 PM

Tower crane FAA filing: https://oeaaa.faa.go...614460227&row=1

Dates are 06/15/2024  through 12/15/2025.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users