• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:25 AM

The high-rise condominium collapse in Surfside, Florida, has caused me worry about living in a residential tower, though I'm a grounded single-family home dweller.  DTFW has a number of high-rise residential buildings, old and new, including the Tower.  Does anyone in the Forum who lives in one of these high rises have safety concerns generated by the Surfside tragedy?

#2 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:32 AM

My post from yesterday
http://www.fortworth...196#entry132975

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:23 PM

I'm guessing that Miami Vice is not endemic in Texas.

That being said, the concern ought to be about ERCOT and the unpreparedness for a winter storm; and for the grace of a mild summer so far, ERCOT isn't being exposed any further. No electricity for elevators and electric heating in residential apartment or high rise apartments.

Your Texas Legislature has looked the other way.

#4 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:58 PM

I'm guessing that Miami Vice is not endemic in Texas.

That being said, the concern ought to be about ERCOT and the unpreparedness for a winter storm; and for the grace of a mild summer so far, ERCOT isn't being exposed any further. No electricity for elevators and electric heating in residential apartment or high rise apartments.

Your Texas Legislature has looked the other way.

They are hoping the problem just goes away if they do not acknowledge there is a problem. Probably trying to figure how to cash in their vacation time before bailing.

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:24 AM

We fooled them.

In May/June 2020 because of the severe weather/power outages of 2018-19, we installed a stand alone generator for our 2,500 sf home that provides electricity in an instant whenever there is a power outage.  During the 2021 Ice Storm, our generator operated flawlessly during each 10 minutes of rolling blackouts. All the heating and electricity for the entire house, day and night.

#6 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:22 AM

We fooled them.

In May/June 2020 because of the severe weather/power outages of 2018-19, we installed a stand alone generator for our 2,500 sf home that provides electricity in an instant whenever there is a power outage.  During the 2021 Ice Storm, our generator operated flawlessly during each 10 minutes of rolling blackouts. All the heating and electricity for the entire house, day and night.

Smart thinkingbut you only had 10 minute blackouts? Our longest blackout would have been around 16-hours but I blacked it out of my memory it was so bad. Try running a generator that long repeatedly unless you have natural gas. How many watts is your generator and what fuel source? You must have also installed an automatic service disconnect switch for it to fire upon loss of power?

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:36 PM

Out smarting Them is bit hyperbolic.

The real reason that I had a stand alone generator installed was due to the spring and summer storms that rolled through in 2018-19 causing hours and sometimes days of power outages.  It is our backup to provide power for medical equipment and to eliminate the need to go to a hotel or into hospital. I, like perhaps many of you, never imagined the sheer negligence of Texas' ERCOT and PUC administrators that would be so graphically and deadly exposed by a four day winter storm. To our pleasant surprise, the generator is four seasonal.

Rolling blackouts are manned service blackouts. As for the length of our blackouts, rumors are that if your home is in an overlay that includes a hospital(s) your blackouts will be shortened and among the last grid to be affected.

Natural Gas.  My home is 63y/o. and is supplied with both natural gas and electricity. 

Natural gas was the obvious choice.  The stand alone generator is rated to provide power for the entire house (appliances, electronics, medical equipment, heating/AC).  Yes an automatic service disconnect switch goes on 3-5 seconds after power is lost and disconnects the generator the moment power is restored by Oncor.  The generator is 22kw unit. suitable for a home of 2500 sf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users