• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

A favorite downtown location with which we are all familiar -- very pleasant this time of year. :)
(an infrared photograph)
Posted Image

Bruce Burton

#2 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Cool picture! My wife and I thought about wandering to the Gardens Saturday after lunch at Oliver's, but we only made it as far as 8th St. before we headed back to the car (she had a nail appointment she didn't want to miss - gasp!)
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#3 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thanks, Ron. Here's a broader view with a person in it to gain some perspective. :)

Posted Image

Bruce Burton

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

The filter or exposure on these photos creates a “cool” sensation perhaps more appropriate for a hot August setting, but nonetheless excellent shots. I’ve always loved the Water Gardens and enjoyed them while attending classes across the street at the law school years ago. Now here—not at the new TCC plaza or even the current Sundance Square parking lot—is where people are apt to sit and read, eat lunch, or hear a host band. With the exception of Burnett Park, of course.

#5 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

Makes you wonder how many people per year fall off those steps into the water (or in the summer, jump?) :D
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

#6 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Aeration pond.(Reminder: these are infrared photos, thus they appear differently than visible light photos.:))

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bruce Burton

#7 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

Yep - the top one had to go in my 'Favorites - by others' folder! Great colors!

#8 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

Posted Image

Bruce Burton

#9 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

No fancy colors in these, just plain old shots of the Water Gardens from the weekend. I made the trip down to the bottom of the pool this time - it's quite disorienting between the noise, the wet steps and fast moving water seen out of the corner of your eye!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

Made famous by the movie "Logan's Run" and infamous by the drownings of visitors from Chicago a few years back.

#11 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 03:09 PM

Took my camera down to the Water Gardens this AM.  The light was nice.  All the water features were fully functioning except the wall of water at the Quiet Pool.  I discovered a water feature I did not know about all these years near the grand entrance to the Convention Center.  I also tried to capture some interesting color on the structure that has come with age.

GPNa8nW.jpg

vYSEhje.jpg

IPBddnu.jpg

WYaFiYA.jpg

IUCWhZq.jpg

V7VHB95.jpg

LEIR1x4.jpg

p1vgsOm.jpg

Fg7SL93.jpg

EXBxgJ6.jpg

BwKam7a.jpg

0Va9Oxn.jpg

N9f91ar.jpg

yQ5luqq.jpg

#12 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 04:54 PM

Lovely pictures. Thanks for posting!

#13 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 06:35 PM

ramjet, you take very nice photos!

So, does the water fountain work? Would be ironic if it didnt.

#14 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 04:38 PM

ramjet, you take very nice photos!

So, does the water fountain work? Would be ironic if it didnt.

Lol.  Due to its unique condition, I did not actually touch it.  I didn't want to accidentally activate a portal to some mysterious dimension.

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:35 PM

No, no.  The water gardens leads to the underground tunnel that Logan used to re-enter the domed city.

#16 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 12:23 PM

I recently walked through the Water Gardens and noticed some areas that could use some TLC.  I wrote to Councilperson Beck's office which facilitated a contact and response from the Assistant Director of Park Operations.  I asked her specifically about the non-working wall of water at the Quiet Pool, and the Aerated Pool, which was not working at the time of my walk, along with a few other things.  Her quick and detailed response is below and she OK'd me sharing it on the Forum:

Roger - thanks for sending an email to Councilwoman's Beck office regarding your concerns.

The Water Gardens was completed in 1974 so it is almost 50 years. In the 2022 bond program, approved by the voters, $6.5 million is allocated to study the Water Gardens and renovate and replace degrading infrastructure, which include pump and pipes, paving, lighting, and electrical system. Due to the age of the infrastructure and how it was built, there are systems that have failed. For instance, some of the piping system are encased in concrete rather than in a PVC type of pipe. As much as possible, staff does work arounds without compromising any safety concerns to keep all of the water features operational.

We agree that this is a Jewel of Fort Worth. The staff assigned to the Water Gardens (6.5 field-level positions to run two shifts, 15 hours a day 363 days a year) work tirelessly just to keep it operational. Plumbing, electrical, mechanical, electrical, and technology failures have added up to the problems that exist today. 

Regarding the wet wall, I was aware that this has been down for several months. We had some issues getting the purchasing and funding for the work. The city now has a new vendor that we will work with in getting the pump rebuilt. Initial estimates were that it will cost about $30,000 to have the pump rebuilt. The pump failed because the infrastructure below it has failed (pipes collapsed/roots/blockage) and it causes constant back pressure on the pump...which means the pump has to work much harder than originally designed to force water through the blockage. Eventually, this burns the motor up. 

Regarding the aerated pool, the transformer should be replaced today.

Also, at any time, if there are mechanical issues that staff is working to resolve, they take advantage to clean the water features. Features are also shut down for regular maintenance and cleaning. Staff is doing their very best to keep the Water Gardens up and running and as clean and presentable as possible.

Regarding the trees, that was scheduled in the past but there was miscommunication with the vendor. Staff is working to get that work scheduled.

If additional information is needed, please let me, Clint, or David know. Thanks for voicing your concerns to us.

Assistant Director, Park Operations
Park & Recreation

#17 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 12:53 PM

That is quite the detailed response, thanks for sharing.  The part that maybe I don't completely buy is "6.5 field-level positions to run two shifts, 15 hours a day 363 days a year) work tirelessly just to keep it operational."  I would expect that at perhaps a major hospital or data center but The Water Gardens, come on.

#18 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 03:19 PM

I wonder if there have ever been any discussions about the City of Fort Worth spinning off the Water Gardens to a public/private operation similar to the zoo and the botanic gardens?  Perhaps that could be a long term solution to what sounds like from the Assistant Director is complex and deferred maintenance for the Water Gardens.

BTW, Burnett Plaza downtown, which I understand is funded and maintained by a foundation, is one of the most well-kept urban public green spaces I've ever seen anywhere.

#19 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 28 September 2023 - 07:11 PM

I wonder if there have ever been any discussions about the City of Fort Worth spinning off the Water Gardens to a public/private operation similar to the zoo and the botanic gardens?  Perhaps that could be a long term solution to what sounds like from the Assistant Director is complex and deferred maintenance for the Water Gardens.

BTW, Burnett Plaza downtown, which I understand is funded and maintained by a foundation, is one of the most well-kept urban public green spaces I've ever seen anywhere.

It would be nice if the city could make it happen without a private operator to come in, but it does make more sense to do so.

#20 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 07:22 AM

It would be nice if the city could make it happen without a private operator to come in, but it does make more sense to do so.

yea... it would be  great if the city simply planned for and paid for necessary maintenance to keep things in good order... but as we've seen with public pools, the botanic gardens, the Fort Worth Community Art Center, Heritage Park... it just seems to be something our leadership is incapable of

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users